• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dispensation Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispensation Questions

I have finally located the dispensation papers, printed them up, and have them ready to fill out. Naturally, I have questions...

It says to check the current USEF rules to see if the aids or equipment I am asking for are already allowed and if so, I do not require a dispensation certificate. Where do I find this? Believe me, I have searched the USEF and USDF rules and I cannot find anything related to my issue.

In case any of you already know the answer, here is what I need:

I have a 90 degree wrist drop. In order to use my hand at all, I need a wrist brace. Is this an acceptable piece of equipment? Do I need a dispensation certificate for this? This is not a giant brace. It is easily hidden so long as I am wearing long sleeves and gloves.

TIA
    Beth
  • Original Poster

BUMPITY BUMP

I guess I will just send it on Monday. I would assume they will not attack me if I missed something. I read the info a minimum of 5 times, so I highly doubt I missed wrist brace. On an even cooler note, I am going to see if I can cut strips out of the sides of the fingers on my gloves. This would enable me to have a better feel of the reins, but I would not have the unpolished look of riding sans gloves

My brainiac/nerdy studying also brought me to some super, almost life altering info. If I am interested in being classified, I just have to contact the USEF Director of ParaEquestrian Activities and that person will coordinate an approved classiefier from my area. This is so exciting!!!

I will ship out my info and hopefully get a nice little (or big) dispensation certificate. Wahooo!!!!!
    Beth

Comment

Hope Hand is the guru to ask

You need to ask Hope Hand. She will know all the intricacies of the allowed list. She is the only one I would trust with question as the authority.

From what I learned from the Paulien Albers/Hope Hand clinic in Maine that Mary Jordan hosted:

If the accomodation is attached to the horse or tack. or it is involved with another person, then an accommodation is needed, and a dispensation. If the accomodation is only attached to you, you are usually ok. Especially if it isn't particular obvious.

For example, if you put a seat saver or padding on the top of your saddle, you need a dispensation for the accomodation. However, if you pad the inside of your breeches, it is ok and you don't need a dispensation. So, you may see some very lumpy looking breeches around the show ground.
      Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

I never heard of that! ('if you put a seat saver or padding on the top of your saddle, you need a dispensation for the accomodation'). Many saddle seat riders have a 'bump pad' or similar on the seat of the saddle, and I have never read that this is a piece of equipment that needs to be declared/permitted.
        Jeanie
        RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

It's all ancient Greek

The rules that I am talking about are for para dressage. If you read the regular dressage rules, they don't allow seat savers or anything on top of the saddle.

You should check the rules for regular saddle seat, first. If it is allowed in that discpline, then it isn't a problem that needs to be solved.

Please educate us, too. The rules are a tangled intricate knot. They aren't presented in any organized way in one place. And the classification is even more byzantine.

Comment

Your best bet is if you have a question submit the information for a dispensation question, if it is allowed without a certificate it comes back as such.

A dispensation certificate and allowable accomadations can be specific to a discipline, what might be allowed without a certificate for breed specific shows, might need a certificate for dressage. So you need top specify what you want and what discipline/breed you are showing in. Driving is different then dressage which is different then some of the breed stuff....

Now if you aren't competing in USEF sanctioned shows then you need to contact the specific organization the show is being run under to see if they have any issues and/or will accept the dispensation certificate if so:-)

For example in driving I need to use a golf cart of similar type of transportation to "walk" my hazards and obstacles. The rules used to expressly say I can't use such a thing, therefore it was put on the certificate, the rules have sense changed to allow people of limited physical mobility to use a golf cart etc. But I do notify the organizers, who let the T.D and judges know and they give me an identifying sticker or flag so everyone else knows I have permision.

Diane

Comment

Sent email

Comment

Well said, Cadriver. Thank you!

Comment

• Original Poster

Why is it so hard!?!?!?

I cannot believe all the proverbial hoops I have to jump through. Thank goodness the aforementioned hoops are proverbial, otherwise there wouldn't be a dispensation available that would enable me to compete

I will make my plethora of phone calls tomorrow. Maybe after holding my hand through this process, USEF will make it more user friendly. I may possibly be their worst disabled nightmare. I think I have a pretty good handle on things, but I'm sure that will quickly disappear once I get talking. A secretary would be extremely beneficial in this process!

Whicker, thanks for the email and the pep talk on the phone this morning
                  Beth

Comment

Oh I know about the hoops/red tape

When I got my dispension card I had to have everything on my card nationally and then internationally

Loop on left rein
                    brace on left wrist
                    brace on right elbow
                    whip carried in right hand only
                    salute with nod of head only
                    Frogs in a Basket. Oh, one jumped out.
                    EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach
                    www.dressagelife.com
                    http://piaffing.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Piaffing, I love you!!!!!

Originally posted by Piaffing View Post
                      When I got my dispension card I had to have everything on my card nationally and then internationally

Loop on left rein
                      brace on left wrist
                      brace on right elbow
                      whip carried in right hand only
                      salute with nod of head only
                      I was so concerned about my darn brace that I forgot about the whip in my right hand only and saluting with a nod of the head only!

I called the woman at USEF today and I do indeed need dispensation for my brace. It's not just a Canadian thing

Although gloves are not required, they are generally part of the dressage dress code. If I cannot find thin gloves I can comfortably ride with, I am going to have a "riding with naked hands" clause on my certificate. I will have to forego flashy nail polish!

Also, to anyone contemplating a dispensation certificate, USEF could not have been any nicer!!!
                      Beth

Comment

These are my most absolute favorite gloves!! Very thin almost not like wearing any on your hands, they do wear out but I lover them. Many places carry them now, but the first time I found them was in Germany and i bought a bunch of pairs 5 years later you can find them here in the USA.

roeckl chester gloves

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1262667233

They have worked on people with a variety of issues that have never been able to wear gloves!

Diane

Comment

• Original Poster

Yay!!!

Looks like I can wear gloves and appear rather normal WOOHOO!!!!
                          Beth

Comment

Working...
                          X