• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Broken leg....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken leg....

Not really a disability...but still pretty bad.

I had a bad fall in May that resulted in a nasty concussion (2 months recovery) and a hurt arm. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago....took a simple, easy fall off my horse and ended up breaking my ankle/leg in 4 places.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y25...g?t=1258389266

Ortho surgeon says that my ankle is never going to be 100% again as far as flexibility and strength. We were doing low-level hunters and eventing (2'6" to 3'). I'm really doubting that I want to jump anymore (or will be physically able to).

Anyone done a complete discipline switch after an injury? Coco's a QH that is just as happy with a western saddle on....but we've spent the last 2 years getting her to really go forward. I'm sure she can still jog and lope, but I think it's going to be an either/or situation.
    ~Katelyn~

SO sorry

I broke and dislocated my ankle 2 years ago from a fall. I was on crutches for 3 months, and then it took 6 months before I could ride. I am a Hunter/Jumper trainer and I am happy to say that I am back to riding and training (Jumping too 3'3"). My ankle will never be the same, but it actually has more stability than the other ankle because of all the hardware. Please move your ankle as much as possible after your cast is off. It will hurt, but you will be better for it in the long run. (The fall before I broke the ankle, I had a concussion and a broken tailbone, so I feel your pain). It took a while to get my confidence back, and I still will not ride rank horses that I don't know. Those days are over for me, and that is OK Good luck and fast healing!!!
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Comment

ooohhh.... I'm so sorry! Ouch!

Don't be quite so sure you won't be able to do what you love. Give yourself enough time to REALLY heal, and then try different stirrups--jointed, wide platform, etc. One of them might be the answer.

Be kind to yourself in the meanwhile. And think positively. So maybe you have to ride with longer stirrups. That doesn't rule out lower level jumping--things like baby-baby Combined Training, or Hunter Paces (where you can go around, OR over, and often there are different heights on the same jump!)

It sounds sappy, but being positive about recovery is a HUGE part.

If you really are thinking you'll have to change disciplines--why not research everything out there. What about sidesaddle? You can even show jumping sidesaddle! Or Working Equitation (Portuguese) Combined Driving, etc. etc. There are lots of venues... find something that makes you go, "OH, that would be FUN!" and make plans (daydream) on how you're going to do it!
      InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

• Original Poster

I got all the staples out today and now have a removable cast with instructions to move my ankle as much as I can tolerate. Obviously still not putting any weight on it for another 5 weeks, then I will (hopefully) be able to start putting a little weight on it. The injury was 3 weeks ago, surgery was 10 days ago.

The ortho surgeon said "You'll be able to ride by summer". Not that encouraging considering that its November.

The worst part is that it was such a wussy fall. We were doing a 3 jump 1 stride gymnastic....made it fine over the first one, stumbled and landed funny over the second, and Coco decided (wisely) to not do the 3rd jump. I think it would have been a major crash had she jumped the last one because I was off balance from the stumble.

I'm not sure if I want to jump anymore. It hadn't been fun since I fell off this spring. At least I have a long time off to think about it , and a willing horse that can do whatever.
        ~Katelyn~

Comment

Sorry

I hope you feel better really soon. I have had injuries that have left me with permenant limitations. You really learn to compensate quite quickly. It might not always look pretty, but you do indeed learn to compensate. When you are getting told to get that heel down, just remind your instructor the ankle doesn't work.

I did indeed do a complete discipline change after a very bad accident. I had been riding dressage. At the time I was bringing a mare back from an injury and she flipped over on me. I was left with a concussion and major right leg and knee injury. Once recovered, I started riding in a jumper barn. I did the jumper/Eq stuff for a little while, but I decided I missed dressage far too much and went back to it.

If you truly love jumping, don't give it up. If you are jumping because that is the most convenient type of barn to find in your area, give it up. If you are too nervous to jump, don't let anyone make you feel badly about giving it up!
          Get well soon
          Beth

Comment

Don't give up yet. I broke my lower leg, foot and ankle in 1976 in a Gold Cup race (killed my horse too! Not a good year).

When I awoke from surgery, the doctor said, "We didn't know if we'd be able to save your foot." Auuuugh!!! and then I fainted.

A year later, after months in a cast and gimping around, I was back doing x-country. I haven't been able to run in a straight line since the accident. Less angle available in my ankle, but with the flexible stirrups, doesn't matter.

Don't give up...you're just major bummed out with good reason.
            "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

How are you feeling?
              Beth

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Invite View Post
                How are you feeling?
                Doing ok. Having a rough day and feeling sorry for myself. The pain is finally getting better, so thats a big plus. The length of my "stall rest" is starting to sink in....and I found out that I can't drive for at least 8 weeks.

I get to the barn on Sunday and see Coco. She's doing really well in her new job of being a lesson horse for the little kid lessons. I'm so lucky at the barn I'm at, don't have to worry about her at all.

Thanks for asking. Its hard to sit at home all day by myself. Well, with a whiny boxer that just doesn't understand why we aren't going for walks on the beach and playing like usual. Thank god for doggie daycare.
                ~Katelyn~

Comment

You might look into hand controls for your car. I drove with my other foot and used lots of cruise control. (I broke my right leg from being kicked by my son's POA, while I was galloping on a big tb)

There are lots of exercises you can do to gain back your working flexibility. See my post to Akstaj, for some starter ideas. There are several different kinds of stirrups now to help you use your leg aids. When you get back in the saddle, pm me and I'll share what I have learned by then. I liked the endurance stirrups with their thick soft rubber insert pads and broad base. They make a huge difference in the shock absorption.

You might also want to look at trail riding events, too. There are different levels and kinds of events and competition. You might want to look at the endurance and trail forum.
                  Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

I,m glad to see that you are feeling better. Im on my 3rd week of fracturing my leg tibia. I also feel sad and wondering how Ill ever will get back in the saddle, and also feel that it was a stupid ride on somebody's horse that wasnt worth fracturing my leg over it...

However, a friend game me advice to take it week by week and not rush and agonize what will future bring. So I also would say the same for you. Dont rush it and think positive. May be with time you will heal really well and will be fine doing what youve been doing.

Good luck!

Comment

what about a remote camera in a stall?

I am sorry that you both are feeling so low tonight. It takes courage to be still and do nothing when we are use to being happiest in movement. It is exhausting to to do the basics of life and figuring out how to get the things that are out of reach. It is boring when everyone is away DOING stuff, and we can't think clearly enough to write or read or otherwise stay amused.

I wonder if anyone has thought of have a remote camera set up in our horses stalls or paddock and using the internet to beam the view to the computer?

My neighbor did that for his business and his barn, and he could keep tabs while he was even in some warm place in the Carribean. I don't think it was expensive, either. Worth thinking about...

I can ask if you want to learn more.
                      Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

• Original Poster

Luckily my trainer and a few barn friends send pictures to me every couple of days. Otherwise, I'd consider setting up a camera in her pasture to I could get my horse fix. Hubby is bringing me to the barn tomorrow I think that will help alot. I haven't seen Coco since I fell off, and she's on semi-rough board so I usually see her every day.

Dressage art: good idea on taking it one day at at time. I get overwhelmed with how long it will be to get back to regular life.

My ankle and foot are starting to slowly look like they're supposed to again. It hurts like h*ll to move it and do my stretches....but thats what I have to do to be able to walk normally again.

Barn friends are somewhat condescending about me not wanting to jump and possibly switching to another discipline. Lots of "Well, lots of people fall off" and "You've just got to get over the fear". Its not even that I'm scared, I wasn't having fun jumping before this fall.....I can't imagine it will be any better afterwards. At least trainer is taking me seriously (from what I can tell).

I hope everyone else is healing well and starts feeling better soon.
                        ~Katelyn~

Comment

Thank you Whicker for your kind words.

Kate, I just was contemplating to stretch or not to stretch It hurts so bad to do it and then I cant sleep at night, but when I dont stretch its much easier and I can sleep... hard choice to do every day.

At my barn there is not web or cell service, its a remote place along a small canyon, thats why it has 700 acres of trails. So no way to set up a webcam. My hubby today went to Zena to drop feed and took photos of her. That was nice to see.

Kate, some people are unable to sympathyse or fully imagine themselves in other peoples shoes. So its a lot to expect from them to understand fully how you feel, to understand your desire to change your riding. Try not to expect too much from some of them and it will be a bit easier on you. It seems that your family is supportive and your trainer is supportive as well and thats is very good already.

Comment

Broken bones suck! Definitely stay positive! I broke my elbow in Feb, and knew it was really bad. I love medical stuff, and it took me several days to even look at my radiograph after surgery. I can't imagine how my family felt when the surgeon showed them this.

I knew elbows (probably like ankles) don't do well with injury, but I kept plugging along. My surgeon is truly amazed at how I have recovered, saying no one ever does this well. So, just remember that there are good outliers out there and we can be them . I also had a nasty shoulder fracture and with lots of tough PT came back very well from that too.

I definitely got depressed, I definitely got down on things. But, I tried to just take it one day at a time and look forward to whatever little milestones I got. My husband said I was a totally different person once they told me I didn't have to wear the elbow splint anymore!

It may hurt now to do those exercises, but in the long run it will help I promise!! For me, I would always make sure I had meds on board, apply moist heat before stretching to help loosen it up, and ice afterwards to help with soreness.

Comment

I had a similar injury 30+ years ago ... multiple fractures of the tibia and fibula at the ankle. Got a similar diagnosis re: future mobility but elected not to have orthopedic surgery unless the breaks failed to heal. Flash forward to today: that leg is fine -- I have about 95% Range of Motion in the ankle, more than sufficient for everyday life plus riding. I am careful to make sure I have on lace up boots that support my ankles whenever I am walking on uneven ground (hiked through England for 10 days last year with a nice pair of Ariat paddock boots .... unconventional but excellent support.)

Even the femur I broke this time last year is doing well .... I can trail ride for about 2 hours at a stretch now and I am back to doing lateral work with Her Large Chestnut Self. So, there is hope after major breaks. Time, patience, and due diligence in doing physical therapy and exercises are the keys. Wine and the occasional Percocet also help ....

*star*
                              "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
                              - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ShotenStar View Post
                                I had a similar injury 30+ years ago ... multiple fractures of the tibia and fibula at the ankle. Got a similar diagnosis re: future mobility but elected not to have orthopedic surgery unless the breaks failed to heal. Flash forward to today: that leg is fine -- I have about 95% Range of Motion in the ankle, more than sufficient for everyday life plus riding. I am careful to make sure I have on lace up boots that support my ankles whenever I am walking on uneven ground (hiked through England for 10 days last year with a nice pair of Ariat paddock boots .... unconventional but excellent support.)

Even the femur I broke this time last year is doing well .... I can trail ride for about 2 hours at a stretch now and I am back to doing lateral work with Her Large Chestnut Self. So, there is hope after major breaks. Time, patience, and due diligence in doing physical therapy and exercises are the keys. Wine and the occasional Percocet also help ....

*star*
                                No surgery wasn't an option for me. All the fractures were very displaced, so it had to happen.

Its good to hear from others with similar injuries. I'm working hard to follow dr's orders and move my ankle, even though it hurts.

Did you break the femur on the same leg as your ankle?
                                ~Katelyn~

Comment

Originally posted by KateandKc View Post
                                  Did you break the femur on the same leg as your ankle?
                                  Nope. Ankle was the right, Femur was the left. The right has been broken in five places in three different accidents ... it was the Left's turn ...

Like I tell my doctors, I don't get sick, I just break things.

*star*
                                  "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
                                  - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Dressage Art View Post
                                    Thank you Whicker for your kind words.

Kate, I just was contemplating to stretch or not to stretch It hurts so bad to do it and then I cant sleep at night, but when I dont stretch its much easier and I can sleep... hard choice to do every day.

Kate, some people are unable to sympathyse or fully imagine themselves in other peoples shoes. So its a lot to expect from them to understand fully how you feel, to understand your desire to change your riding. Try not to expect too much from some of them and it will be a bit easier on you. It seems that your family is supportive and your trainer is supportive as well and thats is very good already.
                                    Stretching does eventually start to help. The swelling in my foot/ankle is a lot better, and it *almost* feels better to move it around than keep it still. The first few days were torture, but I think moving it has helped loosen up all the ligaments and tendons.

Thanks for all your kind words and advice. I went to see Coco yesterday and that helped so much! She didn't move a muscle while I brushed her and hobbled around on crutches. Coco really is a such a sweet horse.... I got to see a lot of my barn friends again, so that was very nice. It was good to feel like I was getting back to "normal" life again.

That is a scary elbow x-ray!! I can see why you didn't want to see the x-ray for a few days. Its good to hear that PT can help get good function back.
                                    ~Katelyn~

Comment

Glad to hear you got some good quality time with Coco!! I remember it really made a difference just to go out and see him once in awhile.

Yeah, it was definitely a bad break (as elbows can be). The therapist I used was very big on trigger point therapy (http://www.triggerpointbook.com/) and I really think that is what helped me recover so well. I have used this book for other issues (back, neck, headaches, etc) and I am definitely a fan!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by pharmgirl View Post
                                        Glad to hear you got some good quality time with Coco!! I remember it really made a difference just to go out and see him once in awhile.

Yeah, it was definitely a bad break (as elbows can be). The therapist I used was very big on trigger point therapy (http://www.triggerpointbook.com/) and I really think that is what helped me recover so well. I have used this book for other issues (back, neck, headaches, etc) and I am definitely a fan!
                                        The PT place I go to (a few bad ankle sprains) does some trigger point therapy. I'll have to talk to them about using it for my ankle.
                                        ~Katelyn~

Comment

Working...
                                        X