Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Does your horse "know" your issues? Do they adjust, on their own, for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your horse "know" your issues? Do they adjust, on their own, for you?

On a past asthma thread, someone posted how their horse knew when an attack was imminent, and would take her right over to their trainer. I've come to realize that Ted will give a warning to anyone (even equine) approaching on my "bad" side (I'm functionally blind in one eye, so even though I see fine I must have a blind spot of which I'm not aware).

I'm sure it takes a while for your equine partner to sense and adjust, but I think they do, and I'd love to hear more about it from others.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

My new mare I don't realizes or cares much about my issues (hearing loss), but my older Arabian mare has taken care of me more than once.

I was riding her on a nice trail that wound through some small hills/mountain type trails. It was her first time out in such an event and we ended up getting a bit lost and on some steeper parts than I'd like. One side was a steep dropoff and the other side was a steep incline up the side.

We were merrily walking along when she suddenly scrambled up the side of the hill, trotted forward about 300 yards and then came back to a walk. I wasn't really thrilled, but it was her first real outing and she was green as grass and I figured it was her being silly.

Turns out it wasn't. There was a scared, rattling rattlesnake in the path that I never heard, but saw after the fact.

She could have been really stupid about the whole affair, but I think she picked the wisest path, did what she had to, and kept me safe during the event. Her own self preservation I'm sure came into it, but it would have been just as easy for her to dump me and go.

I miss riding my little plucky Arabian girl!
    Semi Feral

Comment

My trainer has been riding my horse a lot these past two weeks getting him ready to go 4th/PSG in a clinic with her. I get on right after she rides him, and Werther is still sensitive, but he never never overreacts. Werther is a funny horse like that, sometimes if he doesn't want to do a canter transition, he will throw in buck but he makes sure it is very easy for me to ride. I've seen him buck once with my trainer and he bucked much harder with her, but still not hard enough to get her off. Werther only does as much as he thinks you can make him do, and as I have gotten stronger with my riding he has started to offer me more, but if I get off balance or into trouble he is really easy to bring down.
      Ellie and Werther Blog

Comment

I old pony yes hw was aware and my mare nope not at all.

Comment

Interestingly, my current mare is a difficult ride. She's awesome, but everything has to be done just right, and you have to finesse your way through zillions of tiny corrections, or she's all over the place. Very high strung and reactive. However, she's very protective of me when I'm leading her out of the pasture. Loose horses are not allowed to approach me in her presence

Stan, my draft gelding, is definitely the packer type. I remember walking him in from the pasture at one of the boarding stables, though the deep mud on the way to the gate, and holding on to his halter like a handrail . He just sits around looking pretty these days, but he's always been a really good boy.

Great question!
          "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesnt merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
          -Edward Hoagland

Comment

• Original Poster

I ask this because I think on some level they "know." At a different barn, someone came to visit with his daughter - not sure what her disability was but she used a walker, and the muscles in her legs had clearly atrophied (if they were ever there at all). She slowly went up and down the barn aisle, stopping to lean on the walker and pet the horses. None of these horses had ever seen a walker, and some of them would spook at anything even slightly out of place - none of them blinked. One mare, who would lunge out and attempt to bite anyone and everyone just for walking down the middle of the aisle, allowed this child to pet her, no teeth, no pinned ears.

So if they can sense this sort of thing, I would imagine that, in a partnership, they could come to anticipate/compensate in different ways.
            www.specialhorses.org

Comment

Sadie "knows" that I have wonky ankles and knees and that I have a lot of anxiety when mounting up (she should know, back in the day she CAUSED my anxiety). She stands absolutely still when I mount up, either from a real mounting block or from any number of makeshift blocks. She's "got" this part of taking care of me really well. She also "knew" Mr Jeano's 8 yr old hyperactive screeching niece was just a silly human foal who needed to be indulged the day said niece came down for a horsie ride. And I "knew" Sadie would condescend to babysit, now that she's completed the transformation from Hell Horse to packer. On other occasions she has been smoothness itself for a timid rider, very carefully showing off her gaits, not making sudden moves, very reassuring. (Mind you, she spent the first six to 8 months I owned her trying to kill me nearly every ride.)

On the debit side, a couple of years ago a buddy came to ride in the New Year with a whopping hangover and elected to ride Sadie since she knew she'll take care of her rider. Buddy did not reckon with Sadie's sense of humor --she did her level best to make her rider absolutely miserable although keeping her perfectly safe. Somehow she of did the equine equivalent of offering her limburger cheese and hollering in her ear. I SWEAR she knew her rider was feeling like death warmed over.

Comment

My first horse, Holiday, was a little pistol and a total primadonna...would NOT get his feet wet, soaked his own hay, etc. Years later, when he was in his early 20's, a therapy program took him on trial. Turns out he was one of their best, most patient horses - let the kids do anything, didn't spook at anything, and was wonderful for riders of all levels/abilities.

He totally knew who was on his back...because if one of the trainers took him out for a spin, all bets were off. But with those kids, he was rock-solid.
                In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

Comment

I absolutely believe they know.

Dumplin', for as sweet as I always made him sound, had a wee bit of an attitude. If a special child came toward his paddock? It was like flicking a switch. They could do anything to him.

Paco? He knew exactly who he had and behaved accordingly. Special needs rider? Saint. Not a special needs rider? He would give what you asked for..and some!

Trooper?...wow! Dancy, prancy and Thoroughbred-y as they come. Put a hippotherapy client or TR student on him? Instant perfect horse. Crazy.
                  I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

If I push myself too hard when I ride and have an asthma attack, I get no warning. Just BOOM and I cannot breath. Fionna will immediately slow to a walk, then stop and wait for me to recover.

One time I dropped off her and she stood over me nuzzling my hair until I could get my inhaler out and breath again.

Course, once I recover and am back up to speed she turns into Ms Evasive Spookmonster again

Eileen
                    Mad Mare Studio
                    Custom Swarovski, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
                    http://MadMare.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Eileen - Ted once did the same thing. I think I might have inhaled an insect - all I know is that I set off coughing and wheezing like I never have done before. Could. Not. Stay. On. Slowly. Slipped. Off. I was freaking under his belly, wheezing!!! And he just waited until I hauled myself up - I'm sure it was even more uncomfortable for him when I hauled myself in that saddle - and we walked back. He didn't move. He could have kicked, stepped, whatever.
                      www.specialhorses.org

Comment

Originally posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
                        Eileen - Ted once did the same thing. I think I might have inhaled an insect - all I know is that I set off coughing and wheezing like I never have done before. Could. Not. Stay. On. Slowly. Slipped. Off. I was freaking under his belly, wheezing!!! And he just waited until I hauled myself up - I'm sure it was even more uncomfortable for him when I hauled myself in that saddle - and we walked back. He didn't move. He could have kicked, stepped, whatever.
                        I love how they look after us when we're not at our best

Eileen
                        Mad Mare Studio
                        Custom Swarovski, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
                        http://MadMare.com

Comment

Matt is pretty much a one-person horse and wont let anyone but me touch his face, and can be pretty aloof at times. One day in the summer my mom brought her friend and his handicapped son to the the barn. The little boy was in a wheelchair. I led Matt over and he immediately dropped his head into the boy's lap so he could stroke his face. The little boy couldn't stop smiling and giggling.
                          Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Comment

Oh yes. They know. Just listen to Kim Meader of Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch tell about Adam and the pony: http://listen.family.org/daily/A000002101.cfm (have hankies at the ready...trust me)
                            <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

My guy has adjusted to having a rider who is not balances as far as seat bones and leg strength. My issue is lymphedema, and my right leg is 20" while my left is 14" at the calf (the whole leg is swollen like that). He's learned to go straight in spite of me, and he's also learned to stand stock still while I get on and get off on either side, depending on my issues that day. I fell off on a trail ride - he jumped a ditch and just jumped me out of the tack with his big bascule that day - he walked up the trail a bit, but when I called his name, he ambled back over and put his head down to nuzzle me. He stood perfectly still when I found a log to stand on to remount (he's 17h plus). I love my guy - he's just a saint with me (most of the time).

Comment

My gelding works very hard to stay under me. I have no feeling from the waist down from a soft spinal cord injury, so my balance stinks. Plus, I am older (46 years old) and stiff in general.

He will stop altogether when he feels that I am too unbalanced. He really has a heart of gold and so, so tolerant of me.
                                Sheilah

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoRider View Post
                                  My gelding works very hard to stay under me. I have no feeling from the waist down from a soft spinal cord injury, so my balance stinks. Plus, I am older (46 years old) and stiff in general.

He will stop altogether when he feels that I am too unbalanced. He really has a heart of gold and so, so tolerant of me.
                                  Sheilah
                                  My first reining school master was like that, he would stop if I was not clear and look at me confusedly, until I found a better way to ride.
                                  He absolutely told on you, if you didn't ride correctly.
                                  Sadly we lost him in an accident last spring, a terrible loss.

Comment

The "riding during chemo" thread brought me to this forum, and I noticed this thread. My semi-rescue horse had a terrible setback shortly after I started chemo, and I wondered if it was somehow related to the chemo ... maybe I had a smell that triggered a bad association w/ him. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but I do wonder if it had anything to do w/ his setback.

My other horse saw me through a degenerating hip and ultimately a hip replacement, and there are things that he did during that time to look after me. After a long history of a bad spin-and-bolt, he gave it up completely, cold turkey. I could hear/feel him thinking "OMG! I gotta ... no, I can't; she might fall off ... " deep breath. That horse is a saint, completely.
                                    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

When Screech was sound, he definitely adjusted for me. He never pulled his bucking or sqealing while leaping antics when I wasn't well. He would walk around like a beginner lesson horse. When I was well, Screech would be a tough cookie. Even when Screech was in a tough, super fit mode, I could put a rank beginner on him and he would take care of the beginner.

One morning I took Screech for a hack on the trails. We were several miles from home when I started having severe stomach pains. In fact, I actually passed a kidney stone. I was in such pain that I just gave Screech the reins, leaned forward, and wrapped my arms around his neck. I was crying and told him to take me home. Believe it or not, Screech slowly walked right home and never put a hoof in the wrong place.

Rubianna and Screech will stand completely still at the mounting block for a looong time while I mount up.

I don't think Rubianna understands my condition. I do believe Screech takes care of me when he has to. I really hope we can get him sound again!
                                      Beth

Comment

I find most horses I ride adjust for me some take longer to figure out some plain think im getting off balance on purpose(and get offended).

The horse im now riding/soon to be leasing we're still getting to know eachother but he's starting to get if i have a tipsy moment that I am aware and didnt mean to catch his back, im quick to say sorry buddy when it happens. Im sure he is well aware of balance issues as he serves as a begginer mount, I just reassure him that I know when I make a mistake so he gets less defensive.

Now we're working on bridling... lets see he's a big headshy WB and im under 5' soo Its about gaining trust at this point.

He is very careful not to bump into me on the ground even when we have a headshy moment(or when the treat bag attacks...)
                                        Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
                                        www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Comment

Working...
                                        X