• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone with fused L4, L5, S1 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with fused L4, L5, S1 ?

I was on here almost a year ago for my bf who had spinal surgery which didnt really do much.....but he WAS able to ride after awhile, not for long at first, but was up to about 2 hours! However he was still having pain. Dr wants to fuse the next set up so he would all total have L4,L5 and S1 fused.
    Dr said he doesnt think he will have the mobility after that.

which means not only losing his career.....but also not being able to ride his horse!!!!

REALLY hoping someone on here has had those fused and that the "frankenstein" spine that the Dr seems to be describing is FALSE!!!!!!
    Im sure he will lose "some" motion, but to be locked up and walk like frankenstein?? that CANT be true!!!!
    I dont want him to be in pain and neither does he obviously, but hes worried about it.
    Also, after the FIRST fusing we thought YAY, it's gonna be all better, no pain, etc......yeah, well THAT didnt work! so after the pain of the surgery (went in thru the abdomen) and rehab and all that....the initial sciatic kind of burning/numbness/charliehorse pain is STILL there!

anyways, thought I would ask since we dont know anyone else that has had it done.

If this thread gets buried, Thanks in advanced to all that reply!

Yes. I had L5-S1 fused in 2001 (by an orthopedist), spent the next 3.5 years still in pain and had L4-L5 fused in 2004 (by a neurosurgeon). Both incisions were down my spine, not through the abdomen. They placed pedicle screws in each vertebrae with rods running through the screws. During the L4-L5 surgery, they actually removed the disc and placed a block of cadaver bone in its' place.

I still ride. Have a TB that can get a little hot out on trail (keeps me on my toes!). Recently started having issues again with pins & needles feeling down my left leg & foot so we've started epidural injections & they are helping. When I was riding regularly, we would ride 12-14 miles at a time over various terrain (I'm in the northeast as well, we have hills & miles of trails).

Most important thing, for me, was following dr's post op instructions to the letter. I did not get on a horse or do barn work for 6 months post op.

I don't have any issues with flexibility and can just about touch the floor with my fingertips while bending over, keeping my knees straight.

ETA: To see me walking, you wouldn't know I ever had back issues. I can still walk with an easy, swinging stride, no limp at all. I currently do self care and take care of 4 horses daily.

PM if you have questions or would like more info! Best wishes to your bf, back issues are the worst.

By all means, seek a second, third, or fourth opinion from respected docs that do a LOT of spinal fusions. My neurosurgeon did a lot more fusions than the ortho that did the first surgery. Wish I would have known that ahead of time... I was 20 years old at the time of the first surgery. Learned my way around the medical world the hard way.
    Last edited by tarynls; Dec. 4, 2012, 03:14 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

I had L4/L5 and L5/S1 fused in Oct of 2008. Disks removed with cadaver bone put in its place plus hardware. I still have problems with nerve pain down my left leg. Also have major problems with muscle spasms in my lower back. According to the neurosurgeon some of the scar tissue from over one of the screw heads has popped off and the muscle scrapes every time I move it and that sets off the spasms.

But, I do still ride occasionally. It costs me, but most things do.

Comment

I know this is an older post but I just had my back fused Dec 9th from L4 down to S1. I was told no riding for a year but seriously that's extreme! I have a Western pleasure bred show horse and is kind of an all-around. I really just miss going and relaxing. How do you feel now? I had a bone piece on pressing my nerve so now I'm numb from mid thigh with my foot feeling asleep. I wondered if I might show in May or June.
        I've had a rough bout I got a staph infection while in the hospital so months of antibiotics

Comment

C.vetter..... I have had two spinal fusions (L5-S1 and L4-L5 three years later). I was 21 when I had my first surgery and 24 for my next...So I had youth on my side as far as healing speed went.

I had all the hardware removed from my back in 2013 because a screw migrated & breached the spinal canal. I'm lucky I'm not paralyzed.

Each time, I atayed OFF that horse for the full year. It takes a FULL YEAR for bone to fuse solidly. The surgeons tell you to stay off the horse for a year for a damn good reason. The restriction is not "extreme".

If you want to get on your horse sooner.... Have at it, but realize if you have a freak fall, you could seriously injure yourself. Especially since you had complications after your surgery (the staph infection) - and the fact that your leg is still numb?!

That would want me to be all the more careful. Not to mention, if you did not follow your surgeons instructions, had a fall & screwed up your back because it wasn't fully fused yet, he could very well "fire" you as a patient. I've seen it happen.

You only have one spine. Your horse will still be there and I'd even be willing to bet there's going to be a horse show in May or June of 2016. Don't do something that could potentially screw up the outcome of your surgery just because you wanted to go & relax with your horse.

Sorry for being harsh, but this is the reality. I'm speaking from the patient point of view... And I was a medical assistant for an ortho surgeon.

The docs really know what they're talking about. Please listen to them.

Comment

Mr. Mukluk is about to have L5-SI fused. Plans to stay off horse for a year. I am wondering if when he starts riding again it would be a good idea to wear a vest and possibly one of those vests that inflates. Anyone done this?

Comment

Working...
            X