• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When do you hang it up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you hang it up?

This may have an element of pity-party, so I apologize in advance. I'm just struggling with what to do.

Middle-aged, riding for 30+ years. Now have had multiple surgeries and lots of steel in my skeleton. Last surgery was after a minor fall- guess I'm just not bouncing like I used to.

I have two small children at home and this last lay-up has been very stressful for DH, but he's supportive of my riding.

I don't want to make an emotional decision, but I can't afford to get hurt again.

I LOVE my horses that I have right now, though, and would be very sad to have to sell them. But two-legged family and my health come first.

Any advice?

I don't think you necessarily have to hang it up altogether. What do you do with riding currently? Is there any way you could scale back to something with less falling risk? Or a discipline switch of some sort? And don't forget, even if you do decide to stop riding, there are still other ways to be involved with horses, from helping out at therapeutic riding centers to volunteering at local shows and pony club.

And you don't necissarily have to sell your horses, you could figure out a possible rider/lease situation that would allow you to still interact with your horses, even if you can't ride them.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know-it-alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Titania: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Unforgetable: torn between jumping and nap time, bad speller

Comment

I hung up my bridle a few years ago. Too much metal in my body, too much of a chance (even with my bomb proof horse) of a fall, and getting too expensive. I had an ideal situation where I could leave her at the barn she's been at ever since I owned her, and they would continue to use her for lessons. For me, it was time to stop, and I haven't looked back. There are ways to stay involved with horses if you want to, and there are also other activities you may find --- like I found training and showing my dogs. No one can make the decision for you, and remember, it's never written in stone --- you can always change your mind later.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks you two. I've already scaled back on what I do- I actually don't jump all that much anymore (since my last pregnancy). I've become more of a dressage convert and mix it up with hacking out. First surgery was my fault- young frisky horse and I didn't get off- until I was bucked off!! This time it was a complete fluke- not a bad fall but happened to land just the wrong way....

I'm considering leasing over the winter and re-visiting in the spring, but I hate that the decision would then be hanging over me.

Comment

I don't have any words of advice, since I am facing the same question. I am now three weeks post-op from emergency surgery to relieve pressure and swelling on my spinal cord. I was diagnosed with pneumonia last week and am really struggling to get back on my feet.

This has been so difficult on the one child I still have living at home, not to mention my husband. Nobody is telling me to walk away. But I am really wondering this time if it might not be time to.
          Sheilah

Comment

I hung it up two years ago. It was an extremely difficult thing to do despite the fact that I didn't have horse ownership to deal with. I think that the majority of life long riders seem to give it up in their late 50s or early 60s. Some few are luckier to go on beyond that--but they are lucky--it is not a matter of sheer determination.

For me, the issue was not personal safety despite the artificial hip and hardware in both shoulders. Nor the pain from degenerating spine trouble (scoliosis, spodylolisthesis & stenosis). The real reason was that my riding was going downhill. And the fact that since most of my riding was for other people (schooling, rehabbing, backing etc.), I was starting to see the opportunities go to others who were younger and not having surgery every five minutes. I could probably go for a hack here and there, but I've ridden just about every day of my life for 50 years. I don't really need to go for a hack. What I was passionate about was training, and improving my riding, and that is just not going to happen anymore. Depressing, but there it is.
            "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Why not get into driving? Or breed specific in hand show stuff? I guess you need to question if you're still that horse crazy child at heart, or if you've enjoyed them enough, and want to get in to some other activity now. I don't see it as riding or not, I see it as horse crazy need/want breathe/feel/live...or time to move on, which is completely fair.

Comment

• Original Poster

Horses are my "me time" thing. I work over 50 hours a week and am Mom to two young ones. DH also works long hours, but I'm so lucky he is a very involved Dad who has always supported my horse habit.

The barn helps me keep my sanity.

BUT. This last accident was such a fluke, I'm also a little worried my nerves will be shot. I had trouble after my last accident, but it was specific to that horse and not riding in general. This time, I'm worried I'm going to tense up the moment a horse perks its ears.

I suppose I will get back in the saddle, as they say, when I'm fully recovered and take from there. In the meantime, though, I am looking at leasing and possibly selling if the right situation comes along.

I thought about learning to drive... may consider that too down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by TBRedHead View Post
                  Why not get into driving? Or breed specific in hand show stuff? I guess you need to question if you're still that horse crazy child at heart, or if you've enjoyed them enough, and want to get in to some other activity now. I don't see it as riding or not, I see it as horse crazy need/want breathe/feel/live...or time to move on, which is completely fair.
                  Some bodies are just not even capable of any of those things any longer. Even leading, grooming, picking hooves, tacking up, mucking out, blanketing etc. etc. etc. can become too physically difficult or impossible for some people. For people who can do these things, sure, great, many make the change to breeding or just move on to another sport like dog training/showing. But there ARE people who are just as "horse crazy" as you described, who would love to do something with horses, but who are just not physically able to do so. It is EXREMELY depressing since they do not want to move on...

To not accept the possibility of this is to live in denial of the reality of aging. Everyone gets there eventually.

Comment

I was taking hints that she was younger and not quite there yet But I know what you mean, I know several VERY old horse ladies, one would die riding if she had too (90 and still rounding up cattle! She has such a great horse...), one hung up her spurs (and gave me some of her favorite tack items, they are vey treasured as she is well known around my area), and the other has slowed down, but hops on every now and then. I've definentely watched the process of no longer being able to physically do horses, but like I said, I was assuming she was still young and at least able to do basic care.

Comment

TBRH- Age is more than a number. Just like our horses, we only have so many rides in us. Some can be ridden into their 20s, some into their teens. It depends on a lot of things: genetics, conformation, wear and tear, injuries etc. Those very old people that you mention are the ones that I call "lucky." People of the same age who are on canes, walkers or wheelchairs may not have any less desire. For whatever reason, their bodies are only "pasture sound."

Comment

Before I returned to horse ownership/riding I was considering buying an in-hand showing pony - nothing super duper, just something I could look after (always loved grooming etc!) and take to shows now and again for the day out.

This was before my back suddenly decided to play fair and I was able to start riding again, instead I bought an ISH and one of those inflatable vest things - I know they get a bad write up in places, but so long as it stops me making sudden contact with something hard; in the event of my parting company with my horse; then I'm happy out!

Comment

• Original Poster

I thought about getting a vest! I of course always wear a helmet. However, my surgeries have always been on extremities... not sure how to protect those!!

Comment

Originally posted by ser42 View Post
                            I thought about getting a vest! I of course always wear a helmet. However, my surgeries have always been on extremities... not sure how to protect those!!
                            Yeah I have a habit of landing on my butt! Which the "solid" body protector I was wearing wasn't much use for. So I invested in the inflatable one! Although that probably won't protect my derrière either!

Comment

Working...
                            X