• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Therapeutic Riding Programs - # lessons for horses/hours of work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Therapeutic Riding Programs - # lessons for horses/hours of work

For those of you involved in therapeutic riding programs, how do you balance keeping horses happy and enjoying their work?

How many lessons do your horses do per week? How many hours are they expected to work and do they get days 100% off?

How long are the lessons?

Do you use "hack" times as mental health breaks for horses?

Do you have planned 'vacation' periods for horse (no riding or only hack riding?

To help get a gauge of the size of your program, how many riders are you servicing with how many dedicated therapeutic riding horses?

What are your horses expected to do during a lesson? (i.e. just W/T or W/T/C?)

I'm trying to suss out the consensus (if there is such a thing!) on what an acceptable level of work would be for a therapeutic riding horse. Would love to hear your experiences and wisdom in balancing out rider expectations/goals and horsey needs.

If there are any written guidelines, suggestions or programs outside of your personal experiences please post and I will take a look at them.

TIA.

with the usual qualification that "it depends on the horse," and a note that i haven't been active in TR for years, this is how we used to do it at the place i volunteered (30 some horses and 150+ riders):

the horses worked 2-4 hours a day, but never more than 2 hours consecutively (bearing in mind many of these animals were elderly or infirm) (and as a comparison, the schooling barn where i ride now has a limit of five hours a day, no more than three hours consecutively, depending on the horse and the weather)

the barn ran monday through saturday, so everyone was off sundays.

the barn shut down completely for two weeks in august, so the horses just lay around sunning themselves for two weeks.

some of the horses were used solely for TR (w/t), some solely for regular lessons (w/t/c/j), and some for both. if a TR horse was getting burnt out, s/he would often be put in regular lessons for a bit to have something different to do with a rider that knew what s/he was doing. the riding instructors would try and get on all the horses at least a couple times a month to school them.

the barn sat on 55 partially wooded acres, so weather permitting, there were a lot of trail rides for all levels. (--and then lots of stripping in the kitchen to shake the ticks onto the yellow linoleum floor and squish them. )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Comment

It depends on the center, what programs/populations they serve, etc.

Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship (PATH) Internationally, formerly NARHA, has standard of practice for horse use. You should be able to find a lot of information from their website regarding horse usage. Sites only have to follow these rules if they are PATH accredited, however, there are sites out there that are not but that does not mean they follow these good horsemanship rules as well.

What the horses gets used for and the "schooling" they receive is very center dependent. If it is primarily therapeutic riding, now called adaptive riding, it will depend if riders require leader/sidewalkers or if riders are working on independent riding skills (trot/canter/basic jumping or dressage) or working towards paradressage goals. Some sites even have adaptive driving and vaulting opportunities. Lessons are mostly groups but could be privates, so more like your typical riding lessons but horses need to adjust to physical, behavior, and learning needs of the riders, so in general more taxing. I thought the rule was no more than 3 hours (maybe 4) with required breaks in between.

Many centers also offer hippotherapy as a treatment tool, which is therapy using the movement of the horse, provided by an OT, PT, or SLP. In these cases, the horses mainly walk for sessions that last 30, 45, or 60 minutes (again site dependent). Clients perform a variety of position changes and functional activities. Some centers even long line the horses for better quality movement while the client is mounted.

A good quality center will have the horses schooled/ridden but either an equine manager on site, trainer, or very qualified volunteer with a good riding resume (though it is hard to find these people). Depending on the area/riding style, they will be worked this way. If not possible, horses will be hacked and or ridden in volunteer type lessons/by less experience riders without disabilities to keep things different for the horse. Again each center is different, some places won't school their horses, which I think is a necessity for happy horses and keeping the horses fit for their work load for their riders and/or producing quality movement for therapy clients.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if you like.

Comment

I can only speak for the center I work for, but we try not to exceed two hours per day. (I want to say PATH's standard is four hours per day, but don't quote me.) Most of our horses average two 30 minute lessons per day, four days a week. When a horse starts hitting 10 lessons per week, we either redistribute riders or start looking to add a new horse. Our sessions often include trail riding in good weather, which helps with equine sanity. Our TR lessons are walk/trot, and the HPOT sessions are generally just at the walk.

In addition to TR/HPOT, our horses are ridden by volunteers or staff, ideally twice a week. As previously stated, it's hard to find volunteers with both time and the skills to improve the horses, but they are out there. We are lucky to be located on a farm with plenty of open space for hacking, including hills. Each horse has its own training/exercise plan, and every ride is logged so we can evaluate and reconfigure the horse's work to meet its needs. Most of our horses are older with maintenance issues, so we focus on keeping them sane, reasonably supple, and adequately fit.

We are closed for two weeks at the end of December/beginning of January, as well as the week before school starts in August. Depending on their needs, the horses may get the occasional hack or go to ground manners boot camp during that downtime, or they may just hang out.

For reference, our center has seven horses serving 35-40 riders per week (and growing!).

Comment

That's interesting about schooling and/or hacking the therapy horses occasionally.

The PATH center near me doesn't have any of their horses ridden between lessons, not for just hacking; they may school them sometimes, but what I have been told is that the horses work so hard in lessons they deserve their time off to themselves.

I like the idea of having them schooled or hacked between lessons, and I wish that the center would let good riders (who don't qualify for the therapy classes but may have need of some less-focused "therapeutic riding") exercise the horses in between their regular lessons. (Yes, I would like to be one of those riders.)

The other centers near me are not PATH-affiliated, as far as I know. I do know that one of them does not do any lessons or rides other than their own program, which starts everyone out with bareback pads and trail rides (as well as an intro in the ring).
          Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
          People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
          "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Comment

Some sites feel that having the horses just work in lessons and/or therapy is plenty as they work hard. Others feel having them get schooling from qualified riders helps keeps their mind off thing and fit for the job.

I can see why some centers don't have others ride, because finding appropriate and qualified riders is difficult and they don't want to hurt feelings of volunteers. It is also harder if you are a smaller center and don't have someone either hired to do the schooling or an equine manager who can determine who is appropriate or not to do the schooling.

I personally prefer horses getting schooled a few times a week. I think it makes happy and fit horses. As I primarily provide OT using the horse as a treatment tool (hippotherapy) I want my horses to be adjustable in the walk. In order to provide a good quality walk to my clients they need to understand the basics of connection as I am looking for the horse to step under and lift their backs to provide a very dynamic 3D walk. This is why I usually have a horse handler long line but the horse needs to understand these concepts undersaddle (or in long lines if too small to be ridden by an adult) before I can ask them to do it with one of my clients who has physical, behavioral, and/or cognitive needs. As I know what I like out of my horses, in the past I have just schooled them for the center I was working at.

Comment

A center I worked with years ago would send the horses to pony club and 4h homes for anywhere from 6 months to a year every year. they found it was a change and variety and kept horses trained, exposed to many things and more willing to then do the slower but monotonous lessons.

Comment

OP - contact Fieldstone Farm TRC outside Cleveland; they have usage limits in place, turnout time, time off, etc, and I'm sure would be happy to share w/ you. I was a board member and volunteer but left the area 3 yrs ago and my memory of the details is less than perfect. You want to email or call the Equine Director.
                We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Working...
                X