• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

can i vent?concussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i vent?concussion

I got a concussion when my horse spooked and threw me on Wednesday and my mom FINALLY sent me to the ER to get it checked out on saturday.They basically did a CAT Scan-which was fine,gave me pain meds for my massive headache i've had and sent me home.Now I'm really frustrated.the ER doc told me no riding until im totally better and i just want to get back on the horse.But it seems like for every day I feel better,I have another day or so that I feel as sick as i did the day i went to the ER.At this point it looks like I won't be riding til after New Years.And its really frustrating me-and totally messes up my winter show plans that i had.(my barn does schooling shows in the indoor in winter).

Some things, like retaining your cerebral capacity, are more important than winter show plans.

Your age is showing.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

It can take a while for the brain to heal itself, and you only have the one, so its best to take extra precautions!!

On the Horse and Hound BB, there was a thread about a young girl in Ireland who recently died after a fall while hunting. The girl had a bad fall the day before that had left her unconscious. She had another fall while hunting after a jump and then died. The newest studies state that you are more likely to have a fatal injury after suffering a concussion that has not fully healed. Also your coordination and timing are not the same until it has healed. This is one instance where following the doctors orders is a life or death situation. Stay off the dear pony until you are fully healed so that you may live to ride/show another day.

Comment

My daughter is recovering from a concussion as well. She is doing relatively well when at home on the couch but has not been able to handle more than a couple hours at school before the headaches get overwhelming. These things take time and all you can do is wait it out. Much better it just be headaches than hoping to regain movement or hoping that the swelling subsides enough that you may regain consciousness someday. Be thankful for what you have.
        McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Yeah, it sucks. But, you've got to let your brain heal. And you really want your brain to heal. Nothing is more important.
          Pam's Pony Place

Pam's Pony Ponderings

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess the main thing i'm frustrated with is that for every 1 day i feel fine,i have another 2 days where i don't feel good

Comment

Most likely because you did too much the one day and paid for it for two days. Take it easy until you start stringing the good days together.
              McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

There have been a lot of threads in Eventing about concussions/TBRs.

I never had any noticeable concusions till several years ago, despite having evented all my live and having had a few very good unvolunteered dismounts, lawn darting.
                Than I lawn darted 2 times in 4 weeks, both with concussions, not any major, just got two brain cells, 1 in a wheel chair and one pushing. But since numero uno was still in efect, number 2 made things worse. 2 in a chair and no one pushing.
                Took close to 2 years to get over all the problems.

So my advice, be realy carefull, heal it out very good. Don't think no headachse and you are as good as new, wrong. Treat it like a broken leg or arm, which takes 4 to 6 weeks and than retraining for a few weeks.
                Aconcussion is a more serious injury than any broken bone. I had to learn that and luckily I had a dead honest Doc.
                That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
                Caveman extraordinair

Comment

yeah, it sucks, but there it is; when i got my (very mild) conk (horse related, of course) i'd feel fine one day, then funny the next, then fine.

you just have to lie around on the couch and wait it out. i think the general consensus among MD types is that concussions are cumulative; do *not* try and overdo it until you're completely better. (--and that may take awhile.)

use the time to catch up on your horse related reading and video watching.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry.

Comment

Be sure to buy a new helmet!!!!! Let yourself heal. There is no need to push yourself for a local indoor show...actually for any show. Without a brain, there won't be any riding! Feel better
                    Beth

Comment

• Original Poster

buying a new helmet may be a good idea,my helmets been through about 4 or5 falls this year.and i bought it in September of 2009

Comment

helmets are designed and rated for ONE fall only. sucks but true. when you buy a new one, be sure to keep receipt, some manufacturers replace at a discount.

Comment

Find a doctor who has the ImPACT program. It's a neurocognitive test that helps tell when you've recovered from a brain injury.
                          You won't have you're own baseline, but they'll compare you to the standard. It's widely used in the NFL, NCAA, NHL, MLS, etc. as the primary tool for telling when an athlete can return to competition.

I cannot stress enough the importance of letting your brain heal. I know the NFL is pressuring Congress to come up with a federal standard for kids in sports and many many states are considering legislation about brain injuries in kids.

Although we have all lived by the "get right back on" adage when you fall, in reality, we all need to make sure our brains are OK before we get back on.

Good luck!
                          To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Comment

Please take all the good advise given here seriously. I suffered my last serious concussion 10 years ago. I have had several "minor" ones previous to that. (There is no such thing as a minor concussion, you have bruised your brain!)

After 3 days in the hospital I was required to take a month off of work. I was kind of shocked, but you know what? I needed that month off. Not only did I deal with the worst headache I ever had for weeks, it effected my balance, my thought process and I was a weak as a kitten.

Since then, I suffer from short term memory loss, concussion syndrome and migraines. And I consider myself lucky.

Comment

Healing from a concussion is not fun. Only bonus part is when the lights and noises from the tv don't bug you so much you can actually watch it. Most of my concussions have come with lay ups from other injuries so I've never been of sound body and needed the mind to heal. My last concussion still affects me. I have short term memory loss, vertigo, and major light sensitivity. It takes an extremely long time for the brain to heal sometimes. Just hang in there and pace yourself.
                              Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                              Originally Posted by alicen:
                              What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

Listen to the ladies who have posted above.
                                Brain injury is not something to trifle with. Take as much rest as you can now.
                                If you don't you will pay the price later.
                                You could do permanent damage if you even have a slip or trip on the stairway.
                                I agree with those who say to replace your helmet. One bang on it and it is likely to be toast after that.
                                I know there are those who will argue that they have had several crashes and their helmet is still OK. Until the next one when the helmet cracks and breaks.
                                Take time off to heal.
                                sadlmakr

Comment

Originally posted by EightBelles134 View Post
                                  I guess the main thing i'm frustrated with is that for every 1 day i feel fine,i have another 2 days where i don't feel good
                                  September 11, 2010 was the last day that I felt normal. It was also the day that changed my life forever.

I was riding my green project horse at her first recognized novice event. She stopped in front of a ditch, going downhill, and I supermanned off and hit my left frontal lobe on the log revetting the bank. I remember very, very little from that day and from the next 2-3 weeks. What I do remember is lying on the ground and "feeling fine", despite the fact that I could not produce voluntary movement or speech. I suffered a moderate traumatic brain injury in the fall.

Over the past three months, I have had more bad days than good, but the trend is slowly changing for the better. I cannot begin to express the frustrations I have had through this process. I'm a college senior, pre-med/animal science major, 4.0 student, and in the top of all my classes. I'm also a high-performance athlete - not only do I ride and train eventing horses, but I'm a distance runner and triathlete.

For the first seven weeks after the fall, I could barely make it through three hours of classes, a trip to the grocery store, or even just feeding the horses. Gradually, I improved to the point where I could "make it through" a typical day, but even now, after several weeks of speech and physical therapy, I am not back to normal. I will probably never be back to 100%. I have a lot of good days, some great days, and my share of bad days. The bad days usually follow the great days, because I overdo it and end up paying for it. I've learned to ration my energy and prioritize tasks. Schoolwork and horse work are the most important things, so I save my energy for that. Other things fall into place or are just not important enough for my energy. Right now, I can run, swim, cycle, and do flatwork. I still have not started jumping. I decided to go snowboarding on Friday, the first time I have been in several years. I went the morning after my finals were over, running on about 15 hours of sleep for the previous 8 days. I'm still paying for that, physically and cognitively. Was it worth it? Maybe.

I must emphasize, along with everyone else, that there is NO SUCH THING AS A MINOR CONCUSSION! PLEASE, take it easy. Find a specialist who uses the ImPACT program. I didn't believe that I was seriously injured until I took the test and scored <1%. The ImPACT program will tell you when you're ready to return to play. The most important thing is to let yourself heal! You might not believe that you are seriously injured, but you are, even though the CT was clean...mine was too. "Feeling fine" is actually a symptom of the head injury.

Here are some things you can do now to test yourself: Try counting backward from 100 by 7's. Try spelling these words backward WITHOUT CHEATING: world, truth, backward. Write down the first five words that come to mind, then try to remember them without looking. Try again in five minutes. I'll bet anything that your performance is not up to par. Have you noticed problems with your balance? Please don't try to test it - I don't want you to fall and hit your head again

All in all, as others have said, there are things in life more important than making the winter show season. There are things more important than getting to ride, having fun, or pretending that you're normal (I'm sure your friends at school and at the barn have not been very understanding). What is important is preventing permanent damage. Believe me, you don't want to deal with that.

So until you have met with a neurologist or another practitioner who uses ImPACT, stay off the horses (better yet, away from the barn altogether), take it easy on schoolwork and LISTEN to yourself. If you don't feel right, then you're not. And just because you feel great one day doesn't mean you should overdo it.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions, need advice, or just need to vent.

Jingles to you and I hope you have a quick recovery and get back to riding when you're ready.
                                  "The FEI is often in error, but never in doubt." - Jim Wofford

"You do not find the happy life. You make it." - Camilla Eyring Kimball

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                                    My daughter is recovering from a concussion as well. She is doing relatively well when at home on the couch but has not been able to handle more than a couple hours at school before the headaches get overwhelming. These things take time and all you can do is wait it out. Much better it just be headaches than hoping to regain movement or hoping that the swelling subsides enough that you may regain consciousness someday. Be thankful for what you have.
                                    Same thing happened to my son and it ruined his senior year in high school. His CT was also clean, but he lost his senior year of sports, could not attend school more than an hour or so, could no longer study, etc. He almost did not graduate. It was a relatively minor blow to his head so we were surprised at the affect it had on him. It took at least 6 months of recovery. We have a friend whose son has never gone back to the way he was before his concussion and it has now been over 2 years.

OP, I know it's frustrating but be thankful that it looks like it will be short term!

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                                      I can't second this notion enough. No one should have to go through something like that when it is preventable. Unfortunately, it's not always preventable.

Godspeed to your daughter. I hope she heals quickly and completely. She's lucky to have you as a parent.
                                      "The FEI is often in error, but never in doubt." - Jim Wofford

"You do not find the happy life. You make it." - Camilla Eyring Kimball

Comment

• Original Poster

does anyone know anything about post-concussion syndrome?because i went back to the doctors yesterday and started explaining to mine about how I've been feeling lately, and he told me he believes that my actual concussion is gone,but that i have post-concussion syndrome

Comment

Working...
                                        X