Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Toes go numb while riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toes go numb while riding

When I ride for an hour or so, my toes go numb—starting with the pinkie toe and if I continue riding progressing to at least my 3rd toe. I do have neuropathy in my feet from chemo as well. I haven’t noticed a difference in saddle or stirrups—I’ve used a Wintec (my fav) with peacock stirrups, a Thorowgood with standard stirrups, & an Australian with western style stirrups (plastic—ugh). I’ve been trying to work on keeping my feet centered in my stirrups since my feet do tend to slip or turn to press against the outer edge of the stirrup. The stirrups I’m using now are peacock ones that are considerably wider than my standard stirrups. My left knee is troublesome too, but I don’t think it is causing this problem. I’m riding a fairly green Curly mare with my daughter on her Curly and my son on a 4-Wheeler. It is our almost daily activity together. Anyway, short of cutting our rides shorter, what suggestions can you give me?

What happens if you just hop off after 45 minutes and walk around for 5 minutes, get back on?

Comment

The numb toes thing used to happen to me often when snow skiing -- especially on black diamond slopes or those with loads of difficult moguls. Not caused by cold-- it happened because I was unconsciously 'gripping' with my toes. A sports physiotherapist told me that.

Remedy was to wriggle my toes a lot (while skiing) in order to keep them relaxed and to keep me conscious of 'not' gripping. Worked! No more numb toes.

Since you are riding a green-ish mare, perhaps you are unconsciously gripping in order to help yourself stay safe, have a better seat, etc. etc -- same as with me 'gripping' to ski more expertly.

Truth be told I've gotten numb toes while riding difficult horses -- caused by toe-gripping which can also cause unwanted tension in other parts of the leg.

Comment

My toes stopped going numb when I started wearing high top men’s basketball tennis shoes. High tops because they look a lot better than ankle cut men’s basketball shoes on a woman, and because we did a lot of bushwhacking and they saved my ankles

if your hips are also going numb, I might think about seeing a quality chiropractor. They are not created equal.

Comment

Posting and 2 point, or anything like that that engages your lower leg. Frequent changes in bend, circles, and even little bits of leg yield. The objective is to get a lot of pressure changes between your foot and the stirrup. It keeps the blood pumping through. danacat's advice is good too. Do you tend to get dehydrated or slightly anemic? Keeping track of those two things may help too.

Comment

Ride in something like terrains that give your foot a lot of room and support. Use wide bed stirrups with a cage or tapaderos so you can have your foot fully in your stirrup safely. See if you can lengthen your stirrups. You may be pushing into them the whole ride cutting off circulation.

Throughout the ride scrunch up your toes and release them to help make sure you aren’t clutching them in during your ride.

I also like to drop my stirrups every 20ish minutes to do foot circles and swing my legs a bit to release any hip tension.

Comment

When I had that problem, I got relief by using the jointed/flexible stirrups. I would suggest trying something like that - or a stirrup with a swivel or angle in the leather connection so that the tread can lay flat against the bottom of your foot.

You can also try riding in a longer stirrup and see if you get the support you need without the numbness.
              If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by poltroon View Post
                When I had that problem, I got relief by using the jointed/flexible stirrups. I would suggest trying something like that - or a stirrup with a swivel or angle in the leather connection so that the tread can lay flat against the bottom of your foot.

You can also try riding in a longer stirrup and see if you get the support you need without the numbness.
                Good point! I forgot my setup also uses stirrup turners. I’ll try to get a pic of my dressage saddle setup next ride

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions!

@scribbler—if I get off and walk around a bit I stumble round for a while, but eventually get most of the feeling back into my toes. However, the feeling is kind of like the feeling you have when you’re foot is asleep, but it isn’t hurting, just feeling weird (if that makes any sense at all).i think that is due to the ongoing neuropathy in my toes/feel though.

@danacat—I do tend to clench my toes. I have been trying to consciously unclench them, but perhaps I’m not doing it often enough.

@walkinthewalk—I’m wearing non-traditional shoes already. I ride in Keen sandals often at this time. My old Ac,e lace-up boots don’t do me any extra favors when riding either. I actually started riding in the Keens because I was hoping the wider footbed would help.

@strangewings—I usually do ride in 2-point (too much according to my horse’s sweat patterns) and consistently post at the trot.i try to make sure I’m not posting with my feet, but I probably am.

@ponycatraz—I definitely need to clench & unclench my toes throughout the ride. I’m still kind of a chicken with this horse and being without stirrups, I will try to lower my stirrups a notch too.

@poltroon—I think I might look into a stir up turner or swivel stirrup. However, I just got these stirrups & they’re *pretty*! They’re rainbow titanium peacock safety stirrups.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Your feet go numb because you are keeping too much pressure on the stirrup. This typically happens when you have a saddle balance (front to back) problem. Meaning the sitting surface of your saddle is not allowing you to sit in a neutral balanced position without having to use your feet and legs to support yourself. Your picture is not a very good one, but your pelvis does appear to be tilted forward. You can check this out by making adjustments to the back/front balance and finding the sweet spot. Buying ever more expensive stirrups will not help.
                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy will make you feel less steady on your feet and could cause you to brace in the stirrups. I would suggest dismounting before the 1 hour mark and walking for 5 minutes. This is useful for people who get back and hip pain as well. I also agree that I am in much more overall discomfort after a ride that makes me clench up than one that I can ride relaxed in. You could also try riding without stirrups at the walk whenever that feels safe.

Comment

Sorry it took so long for the pictures!

I had knee pain and numb toes with this saddle until I did some modifications. Thick sheepskin to help absorb the bounce, Webber style stirrup leathers to remove the buckle lump under my thigh, stirrup turners to take pressure off my knees, and e-z ride stirrups with tapaderos.

The cage/tapaderos help me feel comfortable putting my foot far enough into the stirrup so that I’m Not putting weight onto my toes.

Comment

I've been having this problem, but only on one horse. My boots, socks, etc., stay the same between her and other horses, and I have similar length rides. So I know it is her or her tack.

1) She is by far the most overly dramatic and I do clench my toes.
                          2) She likes to play "your leg is lava", we're working on that but since I don't want to die I do spend a lot of time holding my lower leg off.
                          3) I tend to end up with my lower leg swinging forward. I think this is more from bracing with my knees than the saddle being wrong, but I haven't used the saddle separately to verify.

I have been dealing with it by consciously trying to swing my leg back under me and lift my toes (you know, "ride like you're supposed to", haha)...which pretty much seems to work, but I have to be constantly correcting.

Also, she is astonishingly exhausting to ride considering that she responds immediately to the slightest aid (just sometimes by hurling herself backwards or sideways because you dared to ask her to walk slightly slower).

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                            I've been having this problem, but only on one horse. My boots, socks, etc., stay the same between her and other horses, and I have similar length rides. So I know it is her or her tack.

2) She likes to play "your leg is lava", we're working on that but since I don't want to die I do spend a lot of time holding my lower leg off.
                            3) I tend to end up with my lower leg swinging forward. I think this is more from bracing with my knees than the saddle being wrong, but I haven't used the saddle separately to verify.

I have been dealing with it by consciously trying to swing my leg back under me and lift my toes (you know, "ride like you're supposed to", haha)...which pretty much seems to work, but I have to be constantly correcting.

Also, she is astonishingly exhausting to ride considering that she responds immediately to the slightest aid (just sometimes by hurling herself backwards or sideways because you dared to ask her to walk slightly slower).
                            You could be describing my horse! She’s young and *very* ‘sensitive’. My daughter’s horse is a good 6” shorter, so I have to try to slow my horse to accommodate her. I don’t think my girl has been introduced to changes of speed within the same gait. She’s very good, but I tend to ride her very cautiously...so I’m probably bracing.

Comment

If your saddle was balanced properly, you would be able to relax in a neutral position and let your leg "hang" until you needed it.
                              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post

If your saddle was balanced properly, you would be able to relax in a neutral position and let your leg "hang" until you needed it.
                                It's not impossible that it's the saddle, it just doesn't have the obviously unbalanced feeling compared to other unbalanced saddles that I've felt.

But I really never relax while riding this particular mare, see: don't want to die. What I would call a "softly draped leg at rest" on another horse is (by her reaction) equivalent to the working student coming up from behind with the lunge whip. I'm working on it every ride, but it's not at the point of relaxing yet. (We're also still only doing very short trots broken up by lots of walking to let the brain recharge from the excitement. Canter is not even a thing yet. It's not like she even has an excuse of being a baby, by her teeth she is mid teens, she just only has buttons for "go faster" and "freak out".)

​​​

Comment

if you have CIPN you might want to talk to your doctor about getting with a PT who can offer some insight and exercises that can help with your particular issue. Localized muscle relaxation techniques might help both while mounted and during the day. Could it be possible that you are having a progression of other issue like arthritis or fibroids that is stacking on your previous neuropathy? If you are experiencing a worsening of previous neuropath, it may now be more than one issue.

_\\]
                                  -- * > hoopoe
                                  Procrastinate NOW
                                  Introverted Since 1957

Comment

It's not impossible that it's the saddle, it just doesn't have the obviously unbalanced feeling compared to other unbalanced saddles that I've felt.

But I really never relax while riding this particular mare, see: don't want to die. What I would call a "softly draped leg at rest" on another horse is (by her reaction) equivalent to the working student coming up from behind with the lunge whip. I'm working on it every ride, but it's not at the point of relaxing yet. (We're also still only doing very short trots broken up by lots of walking to let the brain recharge from the excitement. Canter is not even a thing yet. It's not like she even has an excuse of being a baby, by her teeth she is mid teens, she just only has buttons for "go faster" and "freak out".)

​​​
                                    You probably cannot tell if the saddle is balanced or not until you find the sweet spot. Why not experiment with the saddle balance and see if it makes a difference. Your lack of relaxation may affect your horse's attitude too.
                                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by hoopoe View Post
                                      if you have CIPN you might want to talk to your doctor about getting with a PT who can offer some insight and exercises that can help with your particular issue. Localized muscle relaxation techniques might help both while mounted and during the day. Could it be possible that you are having a progression of other issue like arthritis or fibroids that is stacking on your previous neuropathy? If you are experiencing a worsening of previous neuropath, it may now be more than one issue.
                                      I did PT for close to 3 years on & off, but we never really addressed my feet. I’m taking some medication that helps with the neuropathy, but it doesn’t fix it or cure it. I might as my oncologist to suggest someone for PT for me feet. The biggest issue I run into when looking for PT or sports medicine in my area is that so many people don’t know *anything* about riding horses, even though I supposedly live in the horse-capital of the US (KY). Even when I had an Olympic team (skiing, I think, of all things) orthopedist do knee surgery on me in the heart of horse-country she did not realize the pressures and angles demanded of riding compared to more ‘normal’ exercise (running, dancing, walking, etc). Of course, she also told me that I’d be best advised to give up low hurdles (300-400m track & field hurdles—I had full-ride scholarships based on that) and competitive running at all based on the damage I’d already done to my knee before I was 18 years old.

I think I’m just going to have to come to terms (again) with the fact that my body is not well-designed to take the contortions required for riding (even just recreationally) without serious issues of ‘soundness’. I’m just grateful my green-bean mare is very mild-mannered even when she’s ready to go-go-go. She’s eventually going to be my daughter’s ride when she’s not so green as to make green-on-green=black & blue. Then I’ll be back to riding the pony (13-2 HH) & looking into harness training her.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I will definitely bring it up to both my oncologist (for a referral for PT) & my neurologist (just to maybe check that I don’t have further compromised circulation or nerves in my legs/feet).
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I think it is wise to check in and make sure there is not a secondary issue piling on top of the neuropathy that pre-exists.

I have learned a lot over the last few years with my own issues with injuries and with large fibroid issues. My fibroids ( which were outside the uterus) cause radiating pain down the buttocks and femur. Pelvic floor muscle issues made for overall lower body pain. Now progressing arthritis in my foot is continuing to cause nerve discomfort..

I am not liking "the new me" that this decade of life is bringing. I have consumed more medical care in the last two years than in the previous 20

I am wishing you well in getting to a better, happier place
                                        _\\]
                                        -- * > hoopoe
                                        Procrastinate NOW
                                        Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Working...
                                        X