Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Any COVID survivors here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any COVID survivors here?

Day 14 now, and wondering how the transition back to riding has been for others who have had it.

If you want to say it's a hoax or whine about masks, please go do that elsewhere. The last two weeks have been absolute hell even without being hospitalized, and I'm solidly out of patience for conspiracy theories/it's a hoax/masks are a violation of my freedom. The ony real underlying health concern was my weight. Aside from that, I'm a healthy, mid-30s active person.
    Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Sent you a PM
    “There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women." And more so for women who try to control other women's choices

Comment

Not diagnosed but sick as a dog for 5-6 weeks beginning of the year. Walking across the driveway was daunting for lack of air, on top of starting with that high, dry cough then super flu symptoms 4 hours later that would increase then disappear practically hourly as the weeks wore on.

What were your symptoms?

I know I still feel weaker than usual. Had a tough time wheeling a wheelbarrow 3/4 full about 60 yards over not-so-rough terrain. Humbled, to say the least.

Comment

Original Poster

I started with waves of dizziness that progressed to what felt exactly like a run of the mill sinus infection with a headache easily on par with my usual migraines about 18 hours later. 24 hours after that, I lose taste/smell, developed the cough and sore throat. Tested immediately, and got a positive 2 days later. Exhausted and what felt like a flu that improved around day 4ish, then day 6 went to hell. That's when I set in with the fevers/aches/chills/nausea/vomiting/diarrhea and lack of air. Hand tremors, purple toes... The rash and what looks like all over body acne set in about when that abated... Now I'm mostly fatigue and perioding coughing fits.

Comment

Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post
          I started with waves of dizziness that progressed to what felt exactly like a run of the mill sinus infection with a headache easily on par with my usual migraines about 18 hours later. 24 hours after that, I lose taste/smell, developed the cough and sore throat. Tested immediately, and got a positive 2 days later. Exhausted and what felt like a flu that improved around day 4ish, then day 6 went to hell. That's when I set in with the fevers/aches/chills/nausea/vomiting/diarrhea and lack of air. Hand tremors, purple toes... The rash and what looks like all over body acne set in about when that abated... Now I'm mostly fatigue and perioding coughing fits.
          I'm so sorry, that sounds awful! Any idea where you picked it up from?

Comment

I am so glad you are on the mend.

We are early 70’s. In February DH swears he had it, and so do three of his co-workers. For him, it acted so much like the Walking Pneumonia he has had twice before, I made him go to the doctor. The doctor was stumped, did not give him any meds, and sent him home with the “rest and drink plenty of fluids prescription. He kept going to work and recovered but he did say whatever it was, he had never experienced that kind of sick in his life.

I have never had symptoms nor have been sick, other than my annual spring allergies. I also don’t leave the farm too much.

It is an unusual virus for sure, as there seems to a huge variation in symptoms, and that makes it really dangerous. I wish “they” could figure out why THIS person seems to avoid the virus altogether, and THAT person living the same life style and in apparent good health falls victim to the virus.

We wear our masks when we have to go somewhere, I don’t care what anyone else does, just keep a healthy distance from me

Having been raised on a small dairy farm, where cleanliness was paramount, I have spent my entire life covering my mouth to cough or sneeze and always washing my hands; I can’t believe how much those simple acts of good hygiene keep having to be repeated.

MyssMyst, I,hope you have a full recovery without any residual effects

Comment

Thank you for sharing. I think it is good to bring more personal stories of the virus into the public: people seem to worry only about the death rate, and the quality of life side of it isn't considered enough. Maybe if people realized that there are real risks and repercussions other than just dying, they would be more careful, and more respectful of others.

I hope you continue to improve and do return to good health with no lasing effects.
              Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

I believe my family just had it. My DH works in a hospital so we can't really avoid it.

DD had a few days of not feeling well plus a couple of her toes looked a bit swollen. DH generally felt bad and no energy. I had the most symptoms: head aches, stomach ache and diarrhea the first week, sore throat and chest tightness the second, and just overall not feeling well and no energy. None of us officially had a fever. The highest any of us got was 99 degrees.

Very mild...but we believe we had either Covid or another similar corona virus around Thanksgiving (DH and I felt awful and he had a cough for weeks after). We've also been treating prophylactically with zinc, Pepcid and vitamin C since this started.

Comment

Back in March. Started on Sunday with a couple hours of general malaise, fatigue, body aches, loss of appetite. Then I stopped being able to smell or taste. Same the next day, except my eyes felt like someone was rubbing sand into them. Got worse on Tuesday. Much, much more tired. Hurt all over. Had some unusual vertigo (I've had bouts of vertigo since I was a child, everything about this one was just different, hard to explain). Nearly passed out actually. Started getting a small cough, but nothing major and no other respiratory symptoms. Finally gave up and decided this wasn't just a cold and took a day to do nothing else but sleep and drink tea. Felt significantly better on Thursday compared to Tuesday. However, it took about 10 days for my energy levels to come back to normal, and then it took several weeks beyond that to get rid of that little cough.

I've had no lasting effects, or at least none that I can attribute to covid specifically (allergies sure have been bad this year, so...), but I'm also in the group of people statistically the least likely to be affected. Late 20s, fit, healthy, and female. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by caryledee View Post

I'm so sorry, that sounds awful! Any idea where you picked it up from?
                    I work in an auto dealership, so we're pretty sure there. Three of us in the same section of the sales floor tested positive.

walkinthewalk I thought I had it in Feb too. Totally NOT the same now that I've actually had it. I was shocked. This one was a, "Ok, this sucks but it's doable" right until I thought I was over then it hit HARD.

Comment

My husband had it (tested positive). His only symptom was loss of taste and smell. It is now closing in on four months and he still can't taste or smell. I try to remain hopeful but I am very worried his senses are gone for good. I never got it even thought we live in a very small house. We did our best to keep clear of each other but I thought for sure I would still get sick. That said, I had a super weird not a cold not the flu in the beginning of February that in retrospect might have been the virus considering my symptoms. But if it was, my husband didn't get it from me then either so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by islgrl View Post
                        My husband had it (tested positive). His only symptom was loss of taste and smell. It is now closing in on four months and he still can't taste or smell. I try to remain hopeful but I am very worried his senses are gone for good. I never got it even thought we live in a very small house. We did our best to keep clear of each other but I thought for sure I would still get sick. That said, I had a super weird not a cold not the flu in the beginning of February that in retrospect might have been the virus considering my symptoms. But if it was, my husband didn't get it from me then either so who knows.
                        One of my friends had a "sinus infection" in February as did her son. She had travelled to the Carolina's to see her kids at college. Later on she realized she had lost the sense of small and taste so she got tested for antibodies and it was positive. She did get the senses back, I hope your husband does too!
                        Humans dont mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. Sebastian Junger

Comment

I hadn't realized people were still saying it's a hoax and then last weekend a distant family member was saying it. So sad for our country. And sorry to hear all of you suffering like that. Awful.

Comment

The scary thing is how different it is for those who have gotten it. Everyone's story/ symptoms are so different.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockWood View Post
                              I hadn't realized people were still saying it's a hoax and then last weekend a distant family member was saying it. So sad for our country. And sorry to hear all of you suffering like that. Awful.
                              Laugh, there are still people who think the world is flat and that the moon landing was fake.
                              There will always people who do not believe things.

Comment

I had it in April. Fever, chest pressure, dizziness, difficulty speaking, intense fatigue. I would say I’m about 95% better, but it’s been a long, slow road.

Comment

I'm on week 18 of variable symptoms and I have absolutely no inclination to get on a horse yet. It is like snakes and ladders, up and down, something new or a symptom returning, varies from day to day and often even hour to hour.

I'm a long haul Covid19. Each day we learn something new.

www.joinzoe.com
                                  "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

Dh got it a few weeks ago. Threw up once in am, had fever for a couple hrs, body aches. Got tested that day and got positive results 4 days later. After 1st day, he just had a cough and was really tired for about a week.
                                    i think I got it 2 days after him. Had 1 day of muscle soreness, really tired, lost sense of taste/smell, slight cough. Only lasted 1 day except for loss of taste/smell. That lasted about 2 and a half weeks. I just took an antibody test yesterday and should get results monday. We both qt at home. I never had fever. He only had fever the 1st day for a couple of hrs.
                                    As soon as he got symptoms we both took Vit C, Vit D, Tumeric/curcumin and Cold eez zinc lozenges. I think that helped keep it mild. He is 64 with 2 heart stents, high blood pressure and prone to bronchitis. I am 57 no underlying issues but do smoke quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by candyappy View Post
                                      The scary thing is how different it is for those who have gotten it. Everyone's story/ symptoms are so different.
                                      Best explanation that I have seen yet regarding the different symptoms: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...U4Ko0g6PZ5r3w4
                                      "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

My sister is 32 and a personal trainer, so she is very fit and healthy. She is on day 10 and her fever finally broke. No taste or smell. She has trouble walking up and down 8 stairs to her laundry room. Her chest feels like ice when she breaths and it hurts badly. She has been incredibly fortunate to not need to be admitted to the hospital, as her ability to breathe has been on the line (she is in contact with her doctor daily).

Again, she is a healthy young adult and these 10 days have been really really hard. Her doctor said it will be a slow return to normal.

Comment

Working...
                                        X