Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

UMS_01

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Menopause - more than hot flashes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menopause - more than hot flashes!

I've done searches, and didn't find many threads really dedicated to peri/menopause. I don't know that's what I'm experiencing, but it appears to be the only diagnosis that covers all of my symptoms, and I'm a little older than my mother and maternal grandmother were when they went through menopause, though younger than the average. I developed horrific plantar fasciitis first, and went to PT for it. Just assumed perhaps I'd needed new shoes for myself sooner than I'd bought them. But now, I'm having what I assume are migraines, heart palpitations, tingling extremities, and fatigue - but the fatigue could be a secondary symptom. I've had some weird GI issues on and off as well. I've also got a slow pulse rate (bradycardia) and I've been running a pretty low body temp, like 96.2, AFTER doing horse stalls! The only thing I've not experienced is a hot flash, lol. I've worked out for decades, competing in 5Ks and weight lifting competitions, and stay active and eat decently well. This is shocking to me - I've barely ridden the last 5 weeks, and have lost sleep literally wondering if I'm about to have a stroke/heart attack.

Doctor initially wondered if it was a sinus infection, so abx. Also ran battery of blood tests (not thyroid), and now scheduled for a stress test. If no answers there, will ask about testing hormones.

Anyway, coming to COTH for insight - how bad was menopause for you? Anyone have a similarly weird laundry list of symptoms? How long before you adjusted? Did you take HRT or alternatives that worked?

Oh my goodness. So, no insight as to whether that’s menopause or not, but you could have written my symptoms for me. Mine started with plantar also, came out of the blue. I thought I just walked for too long in flip flops (although I’ve always walked in flip flops, seems a strange assumption). Bradycardia (check), low body temps (check). I do have night sweats, but that isn’t terrifically abnormal for me.

I hope you find an answer and share it, because I hadn’t connected mine to peri/menopause.

Comment

You have low thyroid
      look up the website “stop the thyroid madness”
      Your thyroid seriously needs to be addressed, and unfortunately most doctors are going to want to put you on Synthroid. resist. Actually, you will be lucky if they will even want to put you on thyroid, because if you’re anywhere within the range of somewhat normal they will say you don’t have a problem, but you do period there is a difference between acceptable thyroid levels and optimal thyroid levels and the acceptable levels are truly not that period

Comment

• Original Poster

I do not have low thyroid. Thorough bloodwork ruled that out. But it was one of the things that was first considered...

Comment

It's extremely rare, but your symptoms match Adrenal Insufficiency (Addison's Disease). Ask your doctor to run a fasting a.m. cortisol test if you want to rule it out. You should also have your B12 levels checked (tingling extremities).

I was diagnosed with Addison's Disease in 2008, but the heart palps didn't start until this past year when I FINALLY went into Menopause. I was scared, too, but they are a fairly common symptom of menopause. In my case, they were triggered by low sodium, which is part of my disease.

Best of luck in finding an answer!
          TypaGraphics
          Graphic Design & Websites
          typagraphics.com

Comment

• Original Poster

B12 was normal, but yes, this is so weird. I literally thought menopause was only hot flashes, irritability, weight gain... But going into forums and it can be quite a nightmare! Hoping no impact to my heart, then debating hormone testing or just assume it’s menopause and steal the horses’ fenugreek

Comment

I will just share my experience with menopause and take from it what you will. I woke up each morning feeling like I was "dying." I know that sounds strange-I knew I wasn't literally dying, but that's the only way I can describe it. I went to a specialty non-insurance doctor and he ran lots of blood tests and my estrogen was through the floor, as well as other hormonal imbalances. So I went on bioidentical hormones: estradiol patch, progesterone cream, even testosterone for a period. He also gave me other supplements for adrenals temporarily. That was years ago and periodically we tweak my estrogen and progesterone but they have helped immensely. Good luck. I will say that this period of life is a real experience with willingness to leave no stone unturned in taking care of your body and finding out what you need. It is a process. Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for sharing! I’m a pretty open person, and when I told co workers I suspected menopause, I realized many are uncomfortable talking about it. Ignorance is not helpful! I also literally stayed wide awake, fearful of going to sleep in case I died! I had/have literal chest pressure and heart arrhythmia. I’m pretty mentally resilient, so feeling “crazy” is hard!!!

Comment

You are welcome. It is actually a very existential experience, if that makes sense. I had a lot of anxiety and fatigue. Part of you, your fertility and parts of your womanhood connected to that, are passing away. That's not for the faint of heart, but we all experience it differently. I think it's helpful to acknowledge that you are going through a milestone, it is difficult but normal, and to tell yourself that you will take care of yourself through the process.

As for feeling "crazy," I will share what my father (an OB/GYN) said years ago that I found interesting. He said that women are "addicted" to their estrogens. This is helpful to me because it explains why going through menopause and all the hormonal fluctuations can feel so out of control, like detoxing from a drug.

Be gentle with yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by LilyandBaron View Post
                    I've done searches, and didn't find many threads

Yep! Sounds familiar! I had.....

plantar fasciitis pain - check
                    migraines - check
                    heart palpitations - check
                    tingling extremities - check
                    fatigue - check
                    GI issues - check (sometimes slow, sometimes fast)
                    low body temp - check (under 96)

For me, my symptoms above that match yours were caused by Hashimoto's. My thyroid levels were "normal", but on the lower end of the range. It was my thyroid antibodies that were very abnormal. Both antibodies were tested, TB/ab and TPO/ab. One was normal. The other was super high. Doctors ignored my wonky thyroid labs because they were in the normal range, and said I was "fine" and to just wait and see. They would not give me thyroid medication even though my labs were on the low side of the range and I had all of the above symptoms. I ended up getting really, really sick to the point of not being able to move my arms or legs. By the time a doctor listened, (5-6 months later) and re-ran my labs, all of my labs were to the extreme side of bad. My antibodies started out as being only in the 1,000's when I was diagnosed. Without getting the right treatment (thyroid replacement hormones) they ended up so high they did not register, up in the many, many thousands.

Your symptoms scream thyroid to me. How thorough is thorough for thyroid testing? Did they run the right thyroid labs and check both of your thyroid antibodies? FT3, FT4, TSH, TG/ab, and TPO/ab. If they did not run all of these tests, and your FT3 and FT4 are not currently at or above mid-range and did not test two these two thyroid antibodies, then there is no way to conclude that the problem is not your thyroid or autoimmune thyroid.

(All of the above symptoms went away or improved for me with the right thyroid medication, BTW.)

None of your symptoms sound like perimenopause or menopause in my experience (emphasis on my experience because you know: YMMV). Your symptoms are the same as the ones I had when I was diagnosed with thyroid disease, but they got much worse until I got the right kind of treatment. The big menstrual change just started happening this past spring for me at age 51. It started with severe and ongoing migraines and at the same time a sudden 79 day cycle. I had horrific daily migraines every day 24/7 for days upon days/weeks/months. My estrogen was high, and that is likely what caused my migraines. I started taking natural prescription progesterone, and that helped regulate my period quite a bit. Recently I had two 2 week long cycles which earned me a trip to the GYN last week and a surprise biopsy. The results just came back today. Nothing abnormal or malignant. I am likely anovulatory due to excess estrogen and low progesterone. In other words, welcome to the start of menopause! Now at age 52, these have been my menopausal symptoms so far.

I hope are able to solve the cause and resolve the symptoms very soon!

Comment

• Original Poster

I’m definitely suspicious of “normal” range. I don’t have my labs pulled up, but there were 4 results for thyroid, all absolutely middle of the range, not even slightly skewed. I have a co worker that fought bad doctors on thyroid issues, finally finding an integrated medicine doctor to help, so absolutely agree we can’t accept blood tests at face value when everything else points to something.

But I really thought menopause was just hot flashes and mood swings. It wasn’t even on my list of options as I did some analysis of competing hypotheses with my symptoms.

I feel like this is like our horses with Lyme, ulcers, neuro, KS - which is it???? And like that - I remember a time when no one ever considered ulcers. I guess I just felt shocked to learn that menopause was so broad. Makes sense - both thyroid and menopause relate to major changes in hormones... some whacky stuff.
                      Last edited by LilyandBaron; Dec. 2, 2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

you dont mention anything about your period. most women are inconsistent and irregular for a year or two .

You might also want to review any prescriptions and over the counters,including herbs, that you may be taking with a pharmacist to see if these could be side effects or adverse events developing

I would suggest , if you do not have one already, get to an internist for your primary care. They focus on health of older adults. Pulling blood work to try and work up a complex issue might not be best done in the hands of a GP. A list of complex issues like yours will need thoughtful and methodical work up to rule out other issues. I prefer my doctor to have a narrower focus on the needs of my older self.

I would not do HRT, the potential side effect and long term effect is not worth the risk in treating something ( perimenopause) that is normal.
                        _\\]
                        -- * > hoopoe
                        Procrastinate NOW
                        Introverted Since 1957

Comment

It almost sounds like Lyme to me, especially the heart palpitations, tingling and fatigue. Peri-menopause usually comes with big time hot flashes. Could also just be low magnesium levels too.
                          "Do what you can't do"

Comment

Originally posted by LilyandBaron View Post
                            I’m definitely suspicious of “normal” range. I don’t have my labs pulled up, but there were 4 results for thyroid, all absolutely middle of the range, not even slightly skewed.

In the 10 years before my thyroid disease diagnosis, I was consistently told my thyroid was "normal". Just like you, I had had no though testing (Complete testing is 5 particular tests. You only had 4, so you know you were not thoroughly tested. The names of your 4 tests will tell you what was left out at the time. "At the time" is important because levels can quickly change. ).

Even after I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's; I was STILL told my thyroid levels were "normal"!! How is that even possible, right? That's because the doctor who ran my tests had no business trying to diagnose or treat thyroid disease. He couldn't even interpret my results correctly. He glanced at them, decided they were somewhere in the middle of the range and declared me to be "totally normal!". He ignored my thyroid symptoms, the ones you listed. The only reason he said I had Hashimoto's was that I had high antibodies, but he had no idea how to treat it. He also had no idea how my "normal" 3 other labs came into play with my symptoms. Upon calculating my percentage of the range, my "normal middle range" FT3 and FT4 were actually under 50% of range. If I recall correctly, one was just under 50% and the other was around 40%. (What I know now is that I cannot function unless my thyroid hormones are over 60% but not higher than 70.). That doctor sent me on my merry way and said I did not need to take thyroid medication.

Another half year of suffering with my unbearably "normal" thyroid labs later, and I felt much worse! I shuffling through a handful of new doctors, several who claimed to be thyroid specialists. All said my thyroid hormones were normal, that I did not need medication, and turned me loose. By the time I found a doctor who knew what they were talking about and they re-ran my labs, every single lab result was so out of whack, I cried with both frustration of dealing with clueless doctors who had harmed me and with relief of finally having achieved "severely abnormal thyroid labs", and earning the right to finally take thyroid medication. By then a lot of damage had been done. It took 2-3 years to get meds right to where I felt decent again.

Anytime I hear someone say their thyroid labs are "normal" and yet they have continually felt like garbage with symptoms that sound like they could stem from thyroid issues, one or two things seem to be the truth: when they calculate their percentage of range, they are in the lower half of the range, and they never had their thyroid antibodies tested in the first place (two antibodies=two different tests), so they have no idea if their thyroid is truly normal or not.

Is seeing your co-worker's integrated medicine doctor an option for you?

Comment

Oh shit. I see I'm not alone. I feel like us women in our 50s get to have it ALL.

Anyone take non-prescription thyroid support supplements that are not from China and that won't kill you?
                              "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

• Original Poster

So my period is off schedule. I do think there are some weird illnesses. It literally is like horses with things like Lyme, ulcers, EPM, PSSM, various deficiencies, etc. I had a complete metabolic workup, and no deficiencies. I reviewed my bloodwork for anything on the margins, and the only off numbers were high creatinine and low GFR. That could indicate kidney issues, or higher muscle mass than average, which is reasonable since I lift weights. I am going to get more tests, but I really wondered if others on here experienced menopause with similar symptoms. I have seen posts in other forums indicating women have. And didn’t have hot flashes. Responses to this thread reflect my point - we seem to think menopause is primarily hot flashes. But if you dig deeper, that’s not true. I’ll keep working toward a definitive diagnosis, and update when confirmed. Not ruling anything out at this point, but leaning heavily toward menopause as root issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X