• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

THR Riders..Tell Me??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THR Riders..Tell Me??

9 weeks ago I had bilateral THR's posterior approach. I have large ceramic balls with metal & poly cups.

Can you share your "getting back" in the saddle experiences with me if you have had a THR (S) please?

Anything I can do to prepare?

How long was it before you rode again?

I rode last in the fall pre op, but the pain was too great and stopped me.

I have a wooden saddle rack and I am finding swinging my leg over the cantle of the saddle not yet possible even on a mounting block. I dare not try to mount my pony until this is improved.

I have had PT and it is over now, so that is not an option. The PT and the surgeon's PA say I am doing better than average in my healing.

I can ride now, as long as I have a quiet horse to ride and I do, according to the surgeon, however HE prefers I wait until 6 mos. post op just to be safe and can never say riding will be safe, CYA (we all know that).

I have an aged 1/2 Arab, walk/trot large pony...when I am ready to canter again I will have to change mounts.

I am eager to hear the good, the bad & the ugly!

Thanks,
    C4
    Last edited by Cfourhorses; Aug. 24, 2010, 02:50 PM.

I'm due to have my right hip replaced in two weeks. My doctor told me I would have to wait at least three months, before riding again.
    Maybe you just need a little more time to heal?
    Please keep us updated on your progress.

Comment

• Original Poster

Do you know what you are having put in?

My surgeon is worried about a fall.

I practiced mounting a wooden saddle rack tonight and swinging my leg over without the saddle.

Good luck & let us know how you do too!!

C4

Comment

C4...I was 'allowed' to start back at 3, but didnt feel well enough till 4 months.

And it wasnt till almost 6 months that I could stand on the replacement leg (left) and swing the right over the cantle to get on.

Getting off the first few times was iffy - fortunately I was on a VERY quiet horse.

Western saddle, I'm still iffy getting off at 8 months.

First ride I had somebody do a 'pony ride' to make sure I had some balance. I still havent tried cantering (horse isnt the smoothest in the world), and have some pain at nite if I manage to get my hips open.

Right now, I'm using the tailgate of a truck for a mounting block....

Comment

• Original Poster

Do you have bilateral hips or one?

I am using an endurance saddle, basically western w/o a horn.

Are you still doing any PT excercises at home?

C4

Comment

Originally posted by Cfourhorses View Post
            Do you know what you are having put in?

My surgeon is worried about a fall.

I practiced mounting a wooden saddle rack tonight and swinging my leg over without the saddle.

Good luck & let us know how you do too!!

C4
            My surgeon is going with ceramic ball and heavy duty plastic, for the socket.
            He wasn't comfortable with "metal" parts and I just read, Johnson & Johnson recalled their metal hip parts.

Comment

Originally posted by tollertwins View Post
              C4...I was 'allowed' to start back at 3, but didnt feel well enough till 4 months.

And it wasnt till almost 6 months that I could stand on the replacement leg (left) and swing the right over the cantle to get on.

Getting off the first few times was iffy - fortunately I was on a VERY quiet horse.

Western saddle, I'm still iffy getting off at 8 months.

First ride I had somebody do a 'pony ride' to make sure I had some balance. I still havent tried cantering (horse isnt the smoothest in the world), and have some pain at nite if I manage to get my hips open.

Right now, I'm using the tailgate of a truck for a mounting block....
              Six months, are you kidding me? I go through withdrawals after six days of not riding.

Comment

Use a taller mounting block..

Honestly, if you're having problems getting that leg over the cantle, then get higher up. There's no shame in it. You do what you gotta do. Find a higher place to mount from or get a taller mounting block. You may also need to switch to a flatter seated saddle temporarily as well.

I only had one hip replaced, but prior to that, I was having great difficulty getting my right leg over the cantle. For awhile, raising the left stirrup (I ride Dressage so that's easier to do than with Western styles) up and using a taller mounting block helped. Eventually the joint started locking up and I had to give up riding for about 6 months, but after the THR all that went away.

I was back doing full lessons at 12 weeks. Mine was a posterior approach, and yes, I've had one fall (18 months post-op) and it was everything else that hurt...not the hip.

Keep doing the PT exercises on your own...adding a little more each week and pushing the "stretch" a little more as well. It simply take time to heal and get things stretched back out. You'll get there!
                A poorly fitted saddle hampers both horse and rider.
                https://www.facebook.com/Talley-Ho-Saddle-Services

Comment

I mounted from the 'wrong' side for about 6 weeks in my dressage saddle. I could stand on the right and swing the left OK - it was standing on the left and swinging the right that was the issue (I have extra scar tissue 'cause I had 2 ops on the left leg, I think).

Putting the western saddle on made the saddle just enough higher that I couldn't get the leg over from the mounting block - which is when I went to mounting from the truck bed.

Have just started back on my own horse - which is a pony. Him I'm getting on OK.

C4 - I'm still doing exercises at home - but I'm pretty much an exercise freak anyway.

Since you had a bi-lat, I'm not suprised that your doc wants you to wait till 6 months. You don't have a 'good side' to take up the slack. 6 months is about when the femoral component gets well attached to the bone.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!

I did not want metal either!! Not such great reports on the metal on metal currently....our village clerk has metal on metal....

I was happy w/ the large ceramic balls and the poly on metal cups.

I was told I should get 30 yrs. out of them ...they will most likely out last me!

True, I do not have a good leg...I am uncemented... I was wondering if the surgeon was waiting for the bone to grown into the componments too...

For now I will keep working on mounting w/ my mounting block on the wooden saddle rack with my endurance saddle. I am a plus sized rider and do not have another saddle I fit into right now. The cantle is not terribly high....synthetic saddle.

C4

Comment

I have a bad ankle, not hip, but this has been a great help mounting
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp32...37229065919394
                      I wasn't always a Smurf
                      Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• Original Poster

I have 3 step mounting block made out of a hard plastic...
                        Thanks!!
                        C4

Comment

• Original Poster

I mounted yesterday

I used the 3 step mounting block. It was not hard at all and it did not hurt!!

I just sat a few minutes then dismounted.

Surgeon does not want me to ride until Dec. (6 mos post op)

C4

Comment

• Original Poster

At least now I know I can get on and off and sit the saddle w/out pain!! Problem is I WANT TO RIDE!! I want to enjoy the autumn colors!! AHHHHH!!

Unfair!!

C4

Comment

Kudos, at least you're in the saddle with no pain.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Gideon View Post
                                Kudos, at least you're in the saddle with no pain.
                                "At least"...now I wait......thanks

Comment

Cfourhorses: I know exactly how you feel. I got back on my horse for the first time at about 7 weeks post op. I walked (with my trainer with me), posted trot just a little, sat a few trot steps...and got off bawling my eyes out and hugging my horse. Why?

Because despite everyone's assurance that I'd be able to ride again, until I actually DID it, without pain, I really didn't believe it would happen. The tears were of pure joy and relief. Yes I got on much sooner than my doctor approved...but it was a supervised, controlled situation and provided a much needed emotional and mental boost to my self-esteem and healing.

Hang in there. Keep doing the PT and when the time comes, you'll find your riding will be even better than before!

Comment

• Original Poster

MTNGIRL...that is great!!!
                                    Are you riding now?
                                    How long did your Dr. want you to wait?
                                    I felt the exact same way!!

Cfour

Comment

Congratulations about getting back in the saddle ~ review that other thread you started a year ago it had lots of Good stories about riding after THR ~
                                      Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Cfour: Yes, I am riding now...averaging 3-5 times a week, depending on the weather and my work schedule. I do dressage, trails, don't jump (never did...just too much of me to balance ).

Doctor wanted me to wait 12 weeks...I didn't. I'm not a very good patient. I got on at 7 weeks just to see if I could get on...at 9 weeks I was doing so well otherwise I just couldn't stand it, and started doing walk work with a bombproof steady eddy Arab I had. That helped me to stretch out some muscles, work on balance etc. At 10 weeks I started back riding my Appy at the walk and added some trot...at 12 weeks I was back to a full lesson of W/T/C. I made sure there was always someone there with me and it was as controlled a situation as possible.

No. I don't recommend people follow my lead...I just did uncommonly better than most. My case is not typical.

I'm 21 months post-op and haven't had any problems with my TRH hip (now the arthritis in my back and my OTHER hip, is a different story), My biggest regret is that I didn't have the surgery done sooner. I waited far too long and endured too much pain etc. TRH made me able to ride again, and THAT made a huge difference in my life for the better.

Hang in there. It does get better.

Comment

Working...
                                        X