Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning from concussion #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning from concussion #2

Hi! I got my first concussion almost 3 years ago from falling off and landing on my head (not my best move lol) and it took 6 months to
    be cleared. Unfortunately then I started college about 2 months after I was cleared and have had very little riding time until I joined my IHSA team at my university on Sept 2018 and was able to ride more frequently. I was then in a car accident this past April, and am hoping to be cleared in December. Here’s the thing, my mom knows I love it, but A) she’s panicking that I will get another concussion, and B) she wants me to essentially ride in bubble wrap. Was looking to see if anyone was in a similar situation and an tips/advice for me, my mom, and additional safety equipment.

There are new helmets out nowadays. I have no experience with them but I have seen them talked about on this forum.

Other than that how is your riding? Are you 'down in the saddle'? Are you experienced? Can you walk trot and canter a horse 'on the bit 'without pulling on the reins? Can you canter a 10 metre circle and do lateral work such as travers and half pass. If the answer is no I would say stop jumping until you can actually ride.

No it won't mean that you will never fall off a horse again But since being able to do the above (touch wood) I have been pretty safe and do ride daily and up to 4 horses at a time some days.
    It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Working...
    X