Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Dang it! Diagnosed with shingles. When can I ride?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang it! Diagnosed with shingles. When can I ride?

They say don't get overheated and over stressed but I am a horse trainer and I want and need to ride. On the other hand I really don't want chronic neuralgia. Anyone who has been down this road have advice for me?

Hmmm, they didn't tell me any such two years ago when I had a bout of those on my back?
    I thought for a bit I just had a very bad backache.

Where are yours, in your face, maybe?
    A friend in her 30's had some there and she ended up in the hospital, they were affecting her optic nerve.
    Thankfully they cleared and so did her eyesight

Whatever others go thru, yours may be different, so better listen to your Drs. and try to arrange your life around that.

Comment

I do have some chronic nerve pain. In an area where I had pre-existing neuropathy, but also went through a SERIOUS case of shingles.

See a doctor for sure. I seem to recollect that if you get some sort of anti-viral meds early on during a shingles episode, it can GREATLY reduce the risk of post herpetic neuralgia (I think the meds are similar to Valtrex... Shingles is essentially an activated version of some sort of chicken pox virus lingering in your nerves... I can’t quite remember what it has to do with different forms of the herpes virus but it isn’t an STD... it’s chicken pox related and has been lurking in your body for decades... uggh).

I also experienced shingles as starting out EXTREMELY painful - mine was centered around my brachialplexus nerves - went from my spine, throughout one shoulder, armpit, and the upper right quadrant of my torso, my armpit, and down into that arm. It was excrutiating in the early stages and they prescribed Lyrica... which didn’t help much... and lidocaine patches for areas on my skin that blistered and where nerve endings were VERY sensitive. The lidocaine patches helped a lot more. After the first week the pain turned into itching... and itching related to nerves is really really really unpleasant and intense in an indescribable way. Getting hot a sweaty riding during the summer? Avoid it for at least an extra week if at all possible... or do your best to take care of your skin with cool showers, etc. Anything you can do to rest and help yourself heal faster is wise though. Also, for what it’s worth... I have had the most luck controlling nerve pain and nerve problems with the older genetic med gabapentin, and low doses seem to be effective (thank goodness). It does make me woozy and sleepy though... and when I take it for chronic nerve pain, I take it at night and it helps with sleep - and is less problematic than many other sleep meds which are habit forming and do nothing for nerve pain. Everyone is different though and Lyrica is apparently much more effective for controlling nerve pain - especially shingles related nerve pain - for many other people. I can’t imagine taking either during the day though and trying to ride a horse...

So sorry you are experiencing shingles. It’s truly miserable. I went through it at age 35... which is unusual (I had a weakened immune system at the time). I had only heard of older people (55 and over) getting it prior to that point. Try and identify what might have tipped you into a full blown shingles episode (stress, other illness, an immune system issue)... although it can and does happen to people randomly. My episode was due to extreme stress plus a weak immune system, and the shingles happened in a nerve that was previously damaged and inflamed. Definitely talk to your doctors, hopefully they give you some meds for short term relief, and try and rest as much as possible.

Best of luck, and take care of yourself.

Comment

Just wanted to mention that there is a relatively new shingles vaccine called Shingrix that is far more effective than the previous vaccine. And the cool thing about it is that it's not a live vaccine like the old one, so even people on immune suppressors (like me) can have it. I did the two-shot series last year.

The catch is that there was quite a shortage of it a few months ago. I don't know if that has been resolved.

I think insurance will cover it if you are over 50.

Rebecca

Comment

My sympathies. Mine was across the left side of my back and I had off three days. Warehouse work, and I also wore an undershirt with no seams/inside out to keep my clothes from rubbing on it. There is an injection but you have to get it on day one or two.

So depending where it is you can ride whenever you want but you may be miserable. Initially I thought I had somehow broken my scapula by falling on it but the pain was after the fact and increased until the blisters came out, of course on a Friday so i delayed to Monday and missed the window for the shot. Definitely miserable, they hurt, they itched, took quite a long time to go all the way away.
          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
          Incredible Invisible

Comment

With Shingrix, you get two shots, two to six months apart. Definitely worth it. Talk to your doctor, and see if this is advised for you.
            You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for taking time to write. I am on Valtrex and have gabapentin for night time. The doctor did not think it was a good idea to give the vaccination while having an active case, but I certainly would recommend the vaccination to any one who has had chicken pox. Shingles is definitely something I'd avoid, if possible. I am very active and healthy but had a stressful week and little sleep leading up to this relapse.

Comment

My shingles were so bad I couldn't sleep. I had managed to forget this part. The doctor gave me a ten day supply of low dose Vicodin and I ended up scrounging every single Vicodin and Percocet we had in the house and breaking them up to get them about the same dose, a little higher than what she prescribed too, so I could sleep well. Stretched it out for about a month. Lasted about six hours and then back to being miserable.

i think I also took the valtrex, but barely within 72 hours of onset.

My doctor didn't even mention gabapentin as a possible medication even for my neuropathy. I hope it works for you!
                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by Helicon View Post
                  Thank you all for taking time to write. I am on Valtrex and have gabapentin for night time. The doctor did not think it was a good idea to give the vaccination while having an active case, but I certainly would recommend the vaccination to any one who has had chicken pox. Shingles is definitely something I'd avoid, if possible. I am very active and healthy but had a stressful week and little sleep leading up to this relapse.
                  Good point--I meant to mention that getting the vaccine during an active outbreak is not a good idea. I was thinking for afterwards for you.

Rebecca

Comment

Best I remember, all they gave me is a round of prednisone?
                    Then, it was ten days before I went to the Dr, probably too late for antivirals and I was over 70 and with a tricky heart with a mind of it's own, so not given just any medication.

I had the old vaccine, but 8 years ago and it only lasts about 5.
                    It did help, was not as bad as it could have been.

I ended up with a terribly itchy spot in the middle of my back, where I can't reach it, that comes and goes and rarely occasional pain for some hours where the old shingle's pain was from the back to the front.

Maybe yours will clear without any residual effects.

Comment

I had shingles when I was 48. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.......well, perhaps I can think of one, but let’s not make this political, lol.

Tramadol did nothing for the pain. I lived on ibuprofen for over a month. I think the trigger was that my father was at the end of his life (he passed away a few months later). He was in a skilled nursing facility and I was not allowed to visit him for six weeks. I completely agreed with the facility re “no entry” but it was very difficult for me emotionally at the time. Luckily, I escaped with no post neuralgia.

Currently waiting to get the Shingrix vaccination series, There is a long waiting list with my primary care physician.

Comment

Paint Hunter-see if your local pharmacy stocks Shingrix. I can either get shots through my primary care doctor, or at the pharmacy, and they seem to have a better supply chain at the pharmacy.
                        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes Paint Hunter try a Walgreens care center. They had it when I went in.

Comment

I haven't had shingles (fingers crossed, I am going to get the vaccination this fall if the supply shortage has eased) but I had a severe allergic reaction years ago and I could not stand the heat (it was in July or Aug). The heat made the itching worse and the rash extended big time. I don't think there is inherently anything that riding would do except the the weather conditions may make you feel much worse and prolong the course of the disease. Maybe give it a try on a cool morning. You are down (at least your immune system)...reduce your workload. Spreading out some rides won't hurt any of the horses. A mini--vacation of sorts.

Healing jingles coming your way.

Susan

Comment

I had shingles about 8 years ago - my case started with pain from my spine around my right side to the groin area followed in 48 hours with the rash. I was in my Doctor's office within 3 hours of the rash appearing and was prescribed Valtrex. The rash was dried up within a week - the intense pain continued. I could not stand anything touching my body in the affected area. The Doctor's office offered pain meds. After a month of the pain and minimal sleep, I tried Acupuncture. Fifty percent of the pain was gone after the first session, two more sessions and the pain was gone. One additional Acupuncture session took care of the intense itching associated with the nerves healing. Needless to say I am now a proponent of Acupuncture!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank MsB i am going to look into acupuncture!

Comment

I had shingles when I was 25. Thankfully not a very bad case. I know they put me on an anti viral meds but I don't remember any restrictions from the doctor. I did wait a few days just because it was on my hip, so breeches were painful.

Hope you get better soon, OP!

Comment

Working...
                                  X