Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Barn
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Stage 5 ac separation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage 5 ac separation

Anybody successfully come back from this? Ortho is consevative, pt and then reassess for possible surgery. Sigh... it occured during an equipment failure and I ended up on the ground with my saddle. Fell on a cross rail....

This must be one of those medical conditions where one has no clue and no advice unless one knows what stage 5 ac separation is

A grade 5 AC Joint Separation occurs when the clavicle is severely displaced superiorly. It represents the most severe type of AC joint injury. The separation between the clavicle and the coracoid part of the scapula has to more than 100% (more than double) the normal side in order to fit the x-ray definition of a type 5 joint separation. When the injury is this severe there is a very obvious deformity with the distal end of the clavicle now very prominently protruding under the skin. In these injuries it is actually the scapula that has pulled away from the clavicle.
    https://www.acjointseparation.com/gr...eparation.html
    Maybe the reason I love animals so much is because the only time they have broken my heart is when they've crossed that rainbow bridge

Comment

Pro athletes return from this injury all the time.Though it may depend on what kind of riding you do and how strong you are . Its usually not aa big problem even with surgery as long as you are young enough to have good bone .
      Don't let the P.T. drive you too hard, let nature have time to heal. Sometimes, actually often P.T. can push too hard , no one ever said "it took to long to recover" but unfortunately the opposite is to often true and the damage may be permanent.
      so do what you can , stop when it hurts, be good to yourself and let time heal it, you should be fine.

Comment

Wanted to add that reading and a diagnosis from X-rays is really not as reliable as we think.So don't let this diagnosis influence you too much ,the surgeon only really knows whats going on when he gets in there.
        The public and even the Ortho can give too much credit to film when the truth is often more complicated. Any good surgeon will tell you this so if you doctor thinks he knows everything then maybe, actually always get another opinion..
        I wish I had known this when I was diagnosed with an ankle sprain (falling of my horse) from X-ray , when it never felt better finally he ordered a bone scan that showed a non- displaced fracture. By that time the Talus bone was dead and sadly my ankle remains painful and dysfunctional. The doctor was a friend of mine, very good surgeon and so upset at these results which where rare.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thx. Yes, CT was done at the time due to other issues. The clavicle bone is actually unsupported from the scapula and pokes up like a knob. very bizarre.

PT starts end of next week, so we shall see. The lack of structure feels funky when I move my arm...

Walkers 60, your poor ankle/foot. Such a life altering circumstance.

Comment

My husband had this. He didn't even do PT let alone surgery. His surgeon said they only do surgery nowadays to get an athlete back into the game asap so he didn't have it. It looks of gross now but hasn't caused him any problems.
            McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

It really does look disturbing.... and the ROM is bizarre. My ortho guy wants PT, and I am going to give it a go. I almost want surgery for cosmetic purposes alone..... it is like an alien on your shoulder.

Comment

Working...
              X