• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse workout [Equibase] question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse workout [Equibase] question

Coloreado (CHI) (12-Year-Old Gelding)

Date: May 25, 2010
    Track: YAVAPAI DOWNS
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 49:40 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt

http://www.equibase.com/static/worko...html#COLOREADO

Is there a way to confirm that this was indeed Coloreado [CHI] or a typo of some sort and who the horse worked under/for [trainer] or is now owned by?
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

According to equineline, there is a 1998 gelding Coloreado (CHI) and a 2001 horse Coloreado (ARG).

It would have to be a lot of typos to get it wrong.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Comment

According to equibase horse search: http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...361&registry=T

His trainer at the time of his last race (August 2009 at YAVAPAI DOWNS) was Armando Castellanos
      And owner was David Diaz Duarte

Comment

I think the owner/trainer as of the last race is known, but they're trying to see who has the horse now.

Or, the supposed horse.

When a horse works, do they check the tattoo or does the trainer just submit the name to the racing office? (something I should know, heh)
        "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Usually, the clocker knows the horses by sight and/or the trainer tells the clocker who the horse is. To my knowledge, papers/tattoos are not checked in the morning works.

I'm not sure how things work at Yavapai. Call the track, though, and they might help -- they might even tell you the trainer. Don't know why they wouldn't.

Comment

And, yes, they could sneak a horse in there, but it's not wise

Comment

It would be COLREADO (CHI), as =COLOREADO (ARG) has not had an import certificate issued. If the (ARG) horse is in this country, then it's not to race and he wouldn't have an official workout.

Comment

I'm sorry but did you actually say that the clockers know what the horses look like??

OMG I am laughing so hard at this one. Ok now admittedly its possible at some tracks that a clocker could recognize some but lets just use Delaware, Bowie and Belmont as my examples since thats where I have come from that relates the most to this.

At Bowie we had 1 clocker and she sortof knew some, but mostly the ones she knew were from her husbands string. And ones with obvious markings. But give her a string of bay no markings horses working by at 30 mph and no way would she get them all right.

At Delaware we had 1-2 clockers. They didn't know many, if any.

At Belmont in the mornings there are, count them, 5 clockers per tower. When the main track opens its a total of 8 people working (4 and 4 then)

They knew some, but by and large it's always up to us Assistants, riders and trainers to tell them which horse is working, how far its going and then pray that they see it and time it correctly.

That being said, Bemont clockers are the easiest of the group to "finesse" the times back where we want them to be. What I mean by this is that not always do we want folks to know how fast or slow a horse worked, so we ask to have the time 'adjusted' a bit. Hell one time I worked a horse 3 furlongs, it's a 6 yr old at the time coming back from ankle surgery and he's gonna run in the cheap claimers. Well in the winter months I weigh 150lbs easy. And this boy and I CRUISED. I rode back by the tower after and made hand gestures to see what the time was. I didn't believe what they told me. So as soon as I was off the track I called the tower on my cell. They told me what they caught me in. I hopped off the horse and handed him to the grooms and went to the tower and did some HUGE work to get them to add a couple seconds onto the time. Since apparently we went in 35 seconds!!!! UGH. Nightmare. I hardly clucked at him and while it felt smooth, it never felt quick. And my internal clock has been pretty good over the years.

So the exact protocol for a workout getting recorded is this:

1.) Rider tells one of the people with a radio on the track that the horse is gonna work X distance, and its name and trainer

2.) The info gets trasnmitted to the tower and the clockers

3.) Horse works, tower times

4.) Rider or trainer or asst will ask tower for time after its done

5.) Official workout times get published either 2 times per morning or once after close of training hours

And there ya go.

~Emily
                "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

At Pimlico and Laurel the clocker usually leaves 45 minutes before the track closes. Better be early or you won't get a reported work at all. Many times nobody answers the phone. Once I got ahold of him at 9am and was told that he had already turned in his works for the day so it would have to be recorded tomorrow. So no, you can't determine anything from a reported workout.
                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I would hope you could determine the horse of a reported workout, whether the clocker recognized it or was told who it is. Pretty stupid to lie about who you are working, but I know it's done.

Comment

Mmmmm and why would it be stupid to lie? Ignore the right and wrong aspects for a moment. Who does it affect most if a trainer lied about which horse worked?

Since I know of many many recent examples since the times of Seabiscuit and Grog.

It would affect the bettors, sure and the owners. But its not going to upset the balance of world power.

Some trainers are notoriously private in their training techniques.

Hell I heard tale that an entire barn one month sent every horse out to work with blinkers on b/c they had a big horse with a very obvious baseball sized star. So to disguise him from the three other bay colts, they sent out 18 other horses with blinkers on every work too. Oddly though they didn't run them with the blinkers on. LOL Man the stories I have heard!!!

~Emily
                      "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

• Original Poster

Well the betting public who may or may not refer to the DRF to decide on how to wager would like to know that the info in there is somewhat accurate, wouldn't they?

And what if the horse in question is not even supposed to be working? Or at a track at all but at a rescue for the last year?

Comment

OK Angela I grabbed your bull by the horns so to speak.

I called over to YAVAPAI DOWNS and spoke to the stable gate and got the number for the stable manager, Wally. Wally and I had a lovely discussion, he knows of the horse, can't believe it was him that worked, but will check on it when he gets back from being on the road.

I'm to call him back Friday.

So I'll know more then.

Hope this helps,

~Emily

Comment

Not much in our lives affects world power. Might as well start using any drugs we want, any training techniques/devices, etc., to get our horses to win. Who cares what the public, bettors, owners, think?

I know you were kidding, but sending out a horse under another horse's identity is cheating, even if it is on a small scale. I don't believe in cheating on any scale.

Unfortunately, racing doesn't seem to be able to do much that is transparent and honest -- at least not enough of racing.

Comment

How that in this year of our lord two thousand and ten, that workout times are still hand clocked boggles my mind.
                              Any run of the mill 5k or 10k race, even with thousands of runners, can have every runner timed to the fraction by use of a chip tied into the shoelaces. Not only would you get accurate times, but it could tell exact distance covered, i.e if the horse was in the middle of the track or on the rail.
                              And why stop there, use chips to time races. No need for the weird mental gymnastics of using points of call and number of lengths back to calculate the fractions for each individual horse.

What's the point of timed workouts anyway? If it's meant to be tool for the betting public, then it must be comforting for handicappers to know that all it takes is a trip to the tower and some sweet talking to get a couple of seconds added on. If it's for the benefit of trainers, then let them clock their own horses and share or not share that info as they see fit.

Comment

Hey at least in NY they do still require a horse to be present, name submitted etc to work. I know of stories from the smaller tracks where even thats not required. Horses were given "workouts" that hadn't left the barn.

You want honesty and transparency in a sport with gambling, its not gonna come easily for all levels of participants. I never said it was gonna be easy.

And handicappers are gamblers, so aren't they taking a knowing risk on the facts being presented to them as accurate without a whole lot of ways to check it out.

~Emily

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
                                  Hey at least in NY they do still require a horse to be present, name submitted etc to work.
                                  ~Emily
                                  You would think though, at this small track where most probably everyone knows everyone elses' business.... that the horse did run at previously, but has now been off of for almost a year, they would wonder how/why he showed up all of a sudden to work after a year off? Esp at the age of 12?
                                  In fact isn't there a JC rule [maybe it's by track or state?] that after a certain age they can not run/race if they have not been working/racing for a certain period of time?
                                  Thanks for making contact and asking about it. I have my hands full right here at home, but this one is a real head scratcher. Or maybe I just need to use some Head and Shoulders?

Comment

It varies by racing jurisdiction but the eldest horse to run a race I know of was 14 or 15.

As horses get older lay offs are more common and no I don't think anyone would blink at a 12 yr old coming back into training after a year off. Here's why...

We, old boss and barn I worked for, had a fantastic turf horse, Fox's Flyjinski, he LOVED colonial. So he would be legged up in March, Gallop and tighten up in April-late May. Run in June-July, go on vacation in August.

He ran his last race at age 13 I think.

The other thing to recall is that when a clocker enters a horse's name for the time, he doesn't see his age, pedigree etc. He types the name given and the time he wrote down. Period. As many horses as there are at tracks, even small ones, it would take a small bit of recognition and coincidence to recall a fact like his age etc.

Its just not that surprising for someone to not have thought about it.

Having said that, I can't wait to talk to Wally tomorrow. Especially after reading the thread at ABR.

My money is on the idea that Jim got hornswaggled. $700 for a horse with 113 starts.... wow. Taken on a leash is my gut. Now I hope I am wrong but damn.

~Emily

~Emily

Comment

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I had absolutely nothing with him buying the horse in the first place (as in donations) but this has piqued my curiosity.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post

The other thing to recall is that when a clocker enters a horse's name for the time, he doesn't see his age, pedigree etc. He types the name given and the time he wrote down. Period. As many horses as there are at tracks, even small ones, it would take a small bit of recognition and coincidence to recall a fact like his age etc.
                                        ~Emily
                                        Not what I meant, I just thought it odd that if someone was going to tell the clocker a name [that is not the horses name] why would they pick one of a horse who was older and had not been on the track for a year... just seems like it would make more sense to use a name they're familiar with. But maybe the person who told them that name to the clocker was familiar with 'Coloreado'?
                                        Or maybe it was Coloreado?

It must be a NY state thing re: age and time off track after which they can not race again. Tomorrow is another day and maybe I'll have time to dig that one up, if anyone is interested in it?

Comment

Working...
                                        X