• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

NO!!!! George Washington - dislocated ankle. No hope :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO!!!! George Washington - dislocated ankle. No hope :(

Sometimes I hate this effing sport. Sorry.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

RIP poor boy.

Comment

R.I.P

Comment

I just want to curse and cry at the same time. I was just thinking, before the race, "What a cool horse..."
        "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Comment

sad that they pulled the ol boy out of retirement...should have let him be!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by excowgirlie View Post
            sad that they pulled the ol boy out of retirement...should have let him be!
            Only a select few know how to do that.

Comment

I can see them pulling him out of retirement but he showed last year he couldn't handle dirt and this year he wasn't even able to WIN. WHY was he even here? They said they had nothing to lose. Well George sure did. What a waste.
              Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

• Original Poster

You could see right at the get go this horse wasnt going to make it. Slip sliding all over the place. He won a ton on grass, he couldn't procreate, so they bring him back to run on dirt? Is there no end to peoples' greed? And you can bet it was not Aiden's decision to run him.

Comment

Originally posted by Iride View Post
                  You could see right at the get go this horse wasnt going to make it. Slip sliding all over the place. He won a ton on grass, he couldn't procreate, so they bring him back to run on dirt? Is there no end to peoples' greed? And you can bet it was not Aiden's decision to run him.
                  Get a clue.
                  It was Aidan's decision to run him.
                  He was originally scheduled to run in the Champion Stakes in Newmarket last week, but Aidan O'B after talking to Mick Kinane suggested to Messer's Tabor, Magnier and Smith that they take a crack a the Classic.

And give over the damn greed bullshit. People race horses, that's what they do with them. By your dumb logic, John Henry shouldn't have been raced till he was 9. I mean he's already won enough money by the time he was 5. Why did they keeping running him? Was it greed?

Comment

• Original Poster

Apples and oranges.

Comment

To add, 1. they didn't "bring him back to run on dirt". and 2. his classic last year wasn't that bad.

I, like everybody, feel awful about this-but pointing fingers does no good.

Comment

Nope, there is no end to the greed.

Comment

poor george washington

I wasn't watching the race when this happened, I just saw it reported online so sad. pictures like this break my heart http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/photo?sl...sic&prov=getty

Comment

Originally posted by Iride View Post
                            Apples and oranges.
                            I don't see how it's apples and oranges - two horses with fertility issues (assuming you consider gelding a fertility issue) running after they had already been champion.

No one is going to argue that breakdowns are awful - it's a part of the sport than anyone would love to eliminate. But most days we are complaining that all of the top horses are retiring after a 3 year-old campaign and heading to the breeding shed. Personally I find it disappointing that we never get to see how most of them would develop at four. It's hard for casual race fans to get to get involved in events like BC because most of the horses will only run one year and there are few familiar names on the card (except the spring classic winners).

I'm very sad that George Washington was euthanized. I think it's a great loss to the sport. But despite the risk, I wish more horses ran back again after their 3 year-old season. I don't consider it greed. I think it improves the sport.

Condolences to the connections of George Washington and all of his fans.

Comment

Dont like horse racing and the risked then I'd advise you not even get involved in the sport nor watch from now on. I dont hear this out cry for the heads of the connections of the poor horse at ROLEX this past year. I breed and own racehorses...and was a 3 day event rider for MANY MANY years...these things do happen.

As for as this being about greed...GIVE ME A BREAK. the people who owned Geo Washington are very wealthy...let me say this again...VERY FREEKING WEALTHY! I dont get some of you people...retire a horse at 3 and you all bicker about ending careers too soon....then you bicker about a horses comeback. Guess what cheap claimers breakdown all of the time....I dont hear you bickering about them. Just because they arent on TV doesnt mean they dont happen.

I have seen far more grotesque acts of poor choises for a horses training, and career in the sporthorse world...Hunter forced to pack kids around jump courses, loaded with bute and banemine! Dressage horses who were too sore to finish a lesson on a Thursday compete at Prix St geo on a Sat. If you think this sort of thing doesnt happen an ALL FORMS OF EQUINE SPORT...think again!

Im sorry...surely I have ruffled a few feather in my comments...but I just get sick and tired of people pointing fingers at horse racing...like we are some kind of martyrs. The vet bills for my few racehorses I know for a fact EXCEED those of ALL the showhorses in my barn. Do you think for one minuet any of these SHOWHHORSE owners will spend a dime on x rays and ultrasounds? No! They come to me and ask "is my horse off...should I give bute...should I wrap her in a sweat?" ...and my reply? "Have the horse vetted and know for sure what you are dealing with!" But no the horses is off to a show in a few days...Talk about greedy...to tight with their own money for the vet...but are happy to shell out a few hundred dollars on shipping, trainers fees, show bills, grounds fees, etc...PA-LEEZE!

It is sad when it does happen...just like its sad when a racecar driver is killed, or a football player died from injuries sustained on the field of play...all for our enjoyment.

Geo Washington was a very nice horse...he will be missed and I'm sure today is a sorrowful day in their barns. God Bless...God Speed.
                              To love a Thoroughbred is to truely live and enjoy life. www.horsepowercompany.com

Comment

This is not to take away from GW, but...

It is interesting that there were ~70 some posts about the breeders cup leading into saturday. After the very sad breakdown, there are now over 50 posts for GW. It is sweet, but do any of you watch any racing during non national TV days? I don't see anybody upset about the horse that broke down in the (hypothetical) 5th on a Wednesday somewhere. It is just as sad but it happens. But it is annoying that people react to only a big race on national tv.

A far as "greed" goes, I don't knw the connections so who am I to judge? They have one of the nicest operations in the world. This is horse racing, thats what they do. If the horse was not conditioned properly to race, that is one thing.

I think the point many of us are trying to make is, blaming horse racing or trainers or owners does no good. And coming out of the woodwork on big days being critical is ignorant. It was a VERY VERY sad outcome for GW and that is what I am upset about, just like I would be for that horse in the 5th. And I am very sad for the connections of the horse. Their grief, and for those fans of his in Europe (which far outnumber us here), I am very sorry.

Comment

and it sucked watching GW's connections stand along the rail and cry as thier horse was put down. apparently, it was open fractures of both sesamoids. what a shame. stop the finger pointing, it's just low class.
                                  Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
                                  www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

Originally posted by horsepowerco View Post
                                    Dont like horse racing and the risked then I'd advise you not even get involved in the sport nor watch from now on. I dont hear this out cry for the heads of the connections of the poor horse at ROLEX this past year. I breed and own racehorses...and was a 3 day event rider for MANY MANY years...these things do happen.
                                    Actually, there was a huge, world wide uproar over the Amy Tryon fiasco (and the subsequent slap on the wrist she received from the FEI). Eventing is second only to racing in fatal equine injuries. And as they say, two wrongs don't make it right.

I have seen far more grotesque acts of poor choises for a horses training, and career in the sporthorse world...Hunter forced to pack kids around jump courses, loaded with bute and banemine! Dressage horses who were too sore to finish a lesson on a Thursday compete at Prix St geo on a Sat. If you think this sort of thing doesnt happen an ALL FORMS OF EQUINE SPORT...think again!
                                    Of course there is abuse everywhere but it's not common for horses in other athletic pursuits suffer from catastrophic injuries all too often seen in TB racing. And yes, I'm sure the low end claimers have a higher rate of such injuries, which further gives TB racing a bad name.

Im sorry...surely I have ruffled a few feather in my comments...but I just get sick and tired of people pointing fingers at horse racing...like we are some kind of martyrs. The vet bills for my few racehorses I know for a fact EXCEED those of ALL the showhorses in my barn.
                                    No feather ruffled here but did you ever wonder why you have so many vet bills? And martyr is not the word I would chose.

Do you think for one minuet any of these SHOWHHORSE owners will spend a dime on x rays and ultrasounds? No!
                                    That's quite a generalization, isn't it? I've spent PLENTY on my show horses and except for a long retired, chronically foundered mare, none have had a serious lameness problem while being shown. Oh, and I don't dump my horses when they are no longer competitive or past their prime. I've spent as much, if not more, on the old timers to keep them as healthy as possible. They deserve that much.

They come to me and ask "is my horse off...should I give bute...should I wrap her in a sweat?" ...and my reply? "Have the horse vetted and know for sure what you are dealing with!" But no the horses is off to a show in a few days...Talk about greedy...to tight with their own money for the vet...but are happy to shell out a few hundred dollars on shipping, trainers fees, show bills, grounds fees, etc...PA-LEEZE!
                                    I agree with this. I too have been exposed to far too many clueless, cheap-wads in show barns. The type who think nothing of buying the latest over priced custom saddles, breeches and boots yet shop around for the lowest cost farrier in town. Then wonder why their horses are always lame? Can't say things are much better at the low end tracks, though. Can you? Ever see how many horrible feet and cheap shoe jobs there are on the majority of still racing "trainer owned" horses on the Canter USA sites?

It is sad when it does happen...just like its sad when a racecar driver is killed, or a football player died from injuries sustained on the field of play...all for our enjoyment.
                                    Apples to oranges. Human adult athletes choose to compete. Horses have no choice in the matter. BIG difference.

RIP, George Washington. You deserved better.

Comment

Originally posted by horsepowerco View Post

Im sorry...surely I have ruffled a few feather in my comments...but I just get sick and tired of people pointing fingers at horse racing...like we are some kind of martyrs. The vet bills for my few racehorses I know for a fact EXCEED those of ALL the showhorses in my barn. Do you think for one minuet any of these SHOWHHORSE owners will spend a dime on x rays and ultrasounds? No!
                                      As the owner of more than a few show horses, i consider that extremely insulting. You want to question the care given to ALL show horses just because you have had bad experiences with some owners? turn it around. think of the bad experiences most show horse owners have had with race horse people. can you judge ALL by the behavior of SOME? hardly. my show horses and my race horses get the same care, regardless.
                                      Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
                                      www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

the shame of racing

Horse racing sadly is - quite simply and precisely put - the legal abuse of equines.
                                        My grandfather raised TBs for the track, on his farm in NE.
                                        It amazed me how few of any of his or his friends' (well bred, well raised) horses ever made it to the track, let alone to their first race - and then how many of them broke down.
                                        To what end?
                                        As Pythagoras, a brilliant Greek mind, once said -
                                        “As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower livings beings, he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.”

Racing - in the end, beyond the glitz and glamor and money that really only surrounds a very, very small percentage of racing in total - is a 'ruthless destroyer'.
                                        It is time for us Humans to get the big picture.

Comment

Working...
                                        X