• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Beulah for the winter: Opinions Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beulah for the winter: Opinions Needed

Right now I am at Finger Lakes as an exercise rider riding for more people than I can even really count. I am hell bent on being a jockey and will, come hell or high water, make weight. I can be unhealthy for a while, no worries. Anyway, every year for the past 6 I have gone to Ocala. I compete my personal horses in Eventing and Hunter Jumper and exercise ride and break babies. I have been offered, however, something different by one of the trainers that I ride for at Finger Lakes. He is taking twelve horses to Beulah for the winter and wants me to be his rider. All questions of character aside, this seems like a good offer. So what about riding there? Is it a good place for a bug? Can I get alot of rides? How COLD is it? What's the area like? Places to board my horses? Places to live? Things to do? What's the track itself like? The backside? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

Ok... I am not an authority on this, since I never worked out of Beulah... and I've definitely never been a jock at Beulah...

...but my gut screams "no."

Beulah is not one of the lower end tracks I would want to work out of. Even if you're there with a good outfit, there's enough incredulous people there that I think you could start yourself out on the wrong foot. And I think the potential to get hurt would be a lot higher than other places. Although I cannot back this up with any solid evidence.

Maybe my impressions have always been wrong. Maybe it's all flowers and roses on the backside. Hopefully someone else will correct me. (Actually, I'm sure someone else will correct me)

P.S. Ohio is cold. And Columbus is ugly. But that's just my two cents. Beulah Park itself isn't half bad looking, though...

Edited to add, I was just thinking I have not been there since they sunk a bunch of money into the place, so maybe it's improved? I don't know, it just always left me with a weird feeling.
    Last edited by Texarkana; Sep. 25, 2007, 09:40 PM.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I have never been, so have no idea what the backside looks like...

I did glance at their condition book, the purses stink, and lots of low level (and I mean really low) claimers...

This would not be my choice of tracks to start off a riding career... Nothing makes you look worse than riding bad horses, or gets you hurt faster.

Comment

Just say No to Ohio for starting off. That's my humble opinion. Why don't you see if you can get an outfit heading to Turfway? You'll have better horses, better trainers, better purses, be in Kentucky, where you could chance to ride at Keeneland or Churchill for some of the same trainers?
        To get in the winners' circle you must first get into the gate

Comment

Beulah Park in the winter is perhaps the most miserable place on earth. I've had the misfortune of having to race there. Winter is VERY cold - racing is very often cancelled. The backside is, in my opinion, the worst in the midwest. They painted the barns that faced the paddock area to make it look more appealing on TV. Trust me - it is a S**T hole - literally. The muck piles get really big and spill over everywhere. The best thing about Beulah is the track kitchen - at least the food is good!

You could do much better at Turfway. Plenty of trainers there year-round plus winter racing. Purses are good and many jocks leave for the winter - as it's not that much warmer in northern KY than at Beulah.

PM me if you want more info an Beulah or Turfway.

Comment

i wouldnt go there i have heard nothing but bad things from people at beulah
            MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

Comment

If location is not a huge deal to you, you could always try and go to work for Allen Jerkins... he will ride girls that are good and work for him. You may not get alot of mounts, but you are sure to ride some quality horses. Good horses make you look good, if you have any talent for race riding you will get recognized by other trainers.

Comment

I haven't been to Beulah in a while, and frankly, haven't missed it! I always found it a very depressing track. In the winter, it's grey and bleak and COLD. The horses have always been low end, but with other venues in the region surpassing OH in purse money, it's getting worse. This is one of those tracks where you're going to see some of the outfits that give racing a bad name.

There are, however, couple of things going for it: it's not right in the city and it's small enough that things are more laid back than a lot of tracks. I however, really like a quiet smaller track. There are also a lot of horses in the greater Columbus area, so reasonable boarding probably could probably be found.

Congratulations on the offer, though! It's great to have multiple options!

Comment

In 1994 I was at the backside of that racetrack and it was very miserable, and that was in April!!! It is freezing cold there in April so I can't even imagine what the winters would feel like. The trainers there are the way lower end and the horses scared the heck out of me. I think you would feel safer at Turfway or any track in Kentucky.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!

Thank you for your opinions, every one. Decision made, not going to Beulah. Don't exactly trust the guy who made the offer in the first place, and in light of your opinions, it's definitely a no go. So now I move on to my FL options. I love FL, I really do, and I know about a million people I can ride for. However, I have never looked at FL, particularly Ocala, from a jocks stand point. I suspect that Tampa and/or Calder are both hard to break in as a jock and while I have tons of horses to exercise in FL, they're not the horses that I would get rides on. Suggestions abound please.
                    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

Comment

Tampa would not be a bad option... Gulfstream is a tough meet for riders, as the best of the best are usually down there. But it would be worth it to go down and gallop for a good trainer... nothing like working horses with top riders to really continue learning. My advice is dont rush it, and dont ride untill your ready...

Comment

I think Tampa is a very good option. Trainers there like to use bugs, fields are really large thruout the winter, which makes it much easier getting mounts.

Comment

Ok so I haven't ever been to Beluah before but I do know that Ohio can be very very cold in the winter and good old Grovetucky (Grove City) is def. not the nicest area in the world. A lot of horses go there when it is the end of their carrer and the owners/trainers aren't ready to retire them yet so they can get as much money out of them as possible. I adopted my OTTB and he spent a couple years there at the end (he stopped racing at the age of 12...granted he is completely sound and did do well when he was younger).

Comment

Ok, I am in no way directing this at the OP in particular, its just an overview of how the world works or in this case, how the racing world works. It all depends upon your level of talent. I don't think anyone goes to Beulah to ride or to train because that is their first choice, its just where they belong. I started out at Penn National as a trainer and was successful. I moved to MD for hubby's job and it has been a struggle. True, purses are better but its harder to get that purse and with my budget, the horses fit better at Penn. Overall you are better off winning a decent amount of races with crappy purses than one or none with bigger purses.
                            Maybe you can find someone you trust to give you an honest assessment of your ability OP and it will give you a better idea of where you stand the best chance to succeed.
                            McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I agree with your advice Laurie... I started riding in Maryland, had the oppurtunity to ride alot of horses in New England, and jumped at the chance... I rode alot for a girl, sometimes up to 5 mounts a day.. however, the quality of horses was overall pretty poor... and the risk of injury greater on bad horses...and the money earned wasnt worth it. In the end I called it quits and walked away sound..

That is why I recomended at least working for a decent trainer, letting them evaluate you, work horses with good riders that you can learn from... and then go from there. The racetrack can be a funny place, lots of talent wasted, and the not so talented can really look good with nice horses, whether riding or training them.

Comment

There is nothing good now, nor has there ever been about Beulah Park. The track is awful, the weather is below awful, it is damn near the "last stop" for an awful lot of race horses, and race track rats. Been there, worked there, worked for leading trainer for years there, don't. Stop. Run away. You can go to Florida and work in a s**th**e and at least you'll be warm. did I mention the MUD, nasty, shitty, pissy, MUD, that is 4 inches deep EVERYWHERE from the second week of November til the first week of April. It is just not a nice place. I don't care how much they spent on the ammenities for the public, the backside isn't any place for anyone. I didn't have much of a choice, sounds like you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X