• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thoughts on this pedigree? NEW PICS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this pedigree? NEW PICS!

Hi folks,
    If anyone has a moment to look at this guy's pedigree and give me any insight I'd certainly appreciate it.. this belongs to a 3 year old gelding that I might be picking up tomorrow. I don't know much about him, from my minimal research he won at Woodbine on 4/11/09, but didn't show too well after. Raced at Gulfstream on 2/8/09. I ride hunters, and have one OTTB that I am desperately in love with and has worked out wonderfully, so I'm hoping this guy will too. Nothing makes me happier than opening up my home to these guys that need it!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/brave+indy

Thanks in advance for any replies..
    Last edited by TooManyChickens; Jan. 11, 2010, 09:39 AM.

Well I can't tell you anything that will be useful for your purposes but he was bred to be a nice horse. Looks like he took after Mom who couldn't outrun a fat man. If pedigree query is correct he is the only one of her four foals to be named. Not a good sign. Somebody took a bath on her and her foals. I hope you enjoy him, I am sure he is a looker.
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

Do you say 'not a good sign' because her foals weren't showing promise, and she was probably an expensive broodmare? I would have thought they'd at least have registered the 07 foal.. I know little about TB breeding so I apologize for my ignorance.. I hope he's as beautiful as I am imagining him to be..

Comment

Pedigree query is know to be extremely inaccurate so take it for what its worth but the '07 should have been named by now so he could run. There is still hope for the other two as they are young. His dam made something like $1800 and was bred to some nice stallions so there is a lot of money invested in her. All of that is irrelevant for your purposes of course. If he ran to his pedigree he wouldn't be for sale as a riding horse.
        McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

This horse is the first foal out of the mare. MY Apr only goes thru the end of 2006 so it does not show the following foals but they are very easily looked up on the jockey club site. The 2007 has a name change pending as of 1/8/10, "Lady of the Forest." The 2008 filly is registered but not named, NOT unusual at all for a just turning 2yo to not be named. Dont worry about that at all - it's nothing. I had a 4 yo first time starter I got ready and he was unnamed til he was gate ready as a 4 yo.

The bad thing about doing ANY research of any kind on pedquery is its wild inaccuracies. I do not recommend relying on that website for any sort of in depth pedigree research, except for major stallions that are correctly inputted then "locked down" to prevent any changes to correct that verified information. There is another pedigree website that is verified and accurate -halo knows which one it is- tbhorsepedigree.com I believe.

From a sport horse perspective, one has to love Runaway Groom, Fappiano, Seattle Slew, and In Reality. This horse was bred to be a nice one - you are lucky to have such a nicely bred animal. Post pics when you can!!
          Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
          Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
          Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Comment

I was curious who had him at Woodbine, and found he was in Reade Baker's barn. That's where he broke his maiden for $40,000MCL. That said, half his 8 starts (1-0-1) are hit gate, bumped rival, cut to rail, steadied start (not his fault, but still)...sounds like he ran into lots of issues running so maybe they gave up lol

Agreeing with the remarks on Pedigree Query accuracy, he is still commented there to have been a pricey foal (OBSMAR08:$200K) so he should at least look the part. Dam is an AP Indy so that's probably why she would be an expensive mare they hope to return some investment on with the stallions they've chose.

Comment

FWIW, I am told that Fappiano is a good name for an H/J pedigree.

He's nicely bred for a racehorse but he apparently has no talent for it, so it'd depend on whether that's because of injury, his being not very smart or a slow learner about his job on the track (could be a problem if he's generally not too bright) or if he's just not cut out for track life and a good horse otherwise. It couldn't hurt to take a look as he's probably pretty, anyway.
              Author Page
              Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
              Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

• Original Poster

Ahhh very interesting. Thank you for all that information! Sometimes those with only a few starts I'm almost a bit more concerned about, but it sounds like he at least finished all his races and *hopefully* wasn't injured. Will check out his legs up and down. Since he's still fairly close from the time when he stopped racing, a bow or other issues I would think would be somewhat apparent, but the person that has him now says he's a lovely mover and very sound, so I'm not incredibly concerned. Excited to see this guy, will post pics if he comes home!

Comment

Would love to see some pics if you can get some.
                  I have a one by a son of Fappiano who is a very lovely type....

Comment

There is a head shot of him on Reade's site:

http://www.readebaker.com/news08.shtml

You could also contact them via email and explain why you're curious about him, and you will very likely get a response. Good people.

Comment

• Original Poster

I actually did write Reade, so I'm hoping to get a response. Thank so much for the link to the head shot! He looks cute!

Comment

personally, I love riding a horse that sold for almost a quarter million dollars.

of course, there is inflation the consider.
                        A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Well, he has a kind eye!

He's got an amazing sport horse pedigree and "should" be able to do whatever you ask of him. Pedigree, however, is only one small part of the whole package. A lot depends on the horse's temperament and talent and you won't know that until you start training him.

Hoping he turns out to be all you want! We'll be waiting for updates.... Best of luck.
                          "None of us can move forward if half of us are being held back." ~Anonymous~

Comment

Okay, something is a bit odd here.

He ran at Saratoga for a 35K tag and then ran at Meadowlands for 6500 six weeks later? I appreciate that he was running at WO for 25K prior to that, and maybe they just tossed him in at SAR on the turf on a lark (but the Hills aren't exactly neophytes).

I don't necessarily think he's unsound. I'm just bewildered. Anyone else have any insight? Am I missing something? I mean, why wouldn't you sell this horse down to MNR as a 5K claimer?
                            Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
                              I mean, why wouldn't you sell this horse down to MNR as a 5K claimer?
                              There are plenty who would give a go at eking something out of him as a bottom level claimer, but isn't it refreshing that he's got a shot at a new career before he gets used up on the track? It's not like he showed a heck of a lot when he dropped like a rock in class.

One of my mares started out running for a $50,000 tag at Calder, within the year dropped to the more appropriate $5000 at Suffolk, and ended up with me simply because her trainer knew she wasn't happy with track life. 'Not a thing wrong with her.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey folks!
                                Brave Indy came home today. He is absolutely adorable and was very well behaved considering the below freezing windy day! He's going to get a few months off to relax and hopefully I'll have a nice hunter in the making. I will post pics asap!

That's certainly interesting information about his racing history.. He jogged sound (lovely mover!) and had clean legs, so crossing fingers he and my 5 year old play nicely

Comment

Congratulations, and enjoy!

Comment

If you want to learn more about his racing career (for free) go to http://www.equibase.com/ and in the lower left side of the page is a slot labeled "Horse Search". Put his name into it & on the next page, you'll get an accurate race summary (number of starts, number of times on the board & race earnings - in his case, 8 starts, 1-0-1 and $26,287 in earnings) and a link to the charts describing his last two races - below the link to those charts is "See All Results" where you can get a link to the charts for all of his results.

There is a little video camera icon where you can actually watch a replay of the race - -that'll cost you. The rest is free.

Congratulations & enjoy.

By the way - a lot of horses who can't stay sound enough to race CAN stay sound enough to be show horses.

Enjoy him!

P.S. - I haven't cruised to the sporthorse breeding forum yet, but this might have gotten good responses if posted there, too.
                                    Last edited by KBEquine; Jan. 9, 2010, 08:07 PM. Reason: To add the p.s.
                                    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Comment

I am a sucker for the Cherokee Run's, they are a great looking bunch.
                                      F O.B
                                      Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                                      Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

Originally posted by Barnfairy View Post
                                        There are plenty who would give a go at eking something out of him as a bottom level claimer, but isn't it refreshing that he's got a shot at a new career before he gets used up on the track?
                                        Oh yes, unquestionably. I just thought it was unusual.

Good luck with him! As Linny says, the CRs are fine lookers!
                                        Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

Working...
                                        X