• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Brandon Jenkins @ Penn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Jenkins @ Penn

I found this article while browsing the Paulick Report. Does anyone know if there were any disciplinary actions brought against him?

http://www.examiner.com/x-/x-25445-W...-for-slaughter

I don't know about this particular incident, but I've been told that the zero tolerance policy doesn't apply if the owner sold the horse privately to someone promising to provide it with a good home. If he had sold the horse with good intentions, then he would be off the hook as far as that policy is concerned.

I've heard of that happening recently to some of the trainers at Penn, which is why I even mention it here. Someone comes along the backside, promising to give a good home to the horse they're selling. Then, that person turns around and auctions it, or takes it directly to slaughter. From the article, it sounds like Brandon is new to the area, so he may not yet know the faces of these people to stear clear of them.

However, if all of that is not the case in this situation, then I would imagine something would have been done by now. Anybody have any first-hand knowledge?
    ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
    4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

Originally posted by ClassyRide View Post

I've heard of that happening recently to some of the trainers at Penn, which is why I even mention it here. Someone comes along the backside, promising to give a good home to the horse they're selling. Then, that person turns around and auctions it, or takes it directly to slaughter. From the article, it sounds like Brandon is new to the area, so he may not yet know the faces of these people to stear clear of them.
      1.) Brandon Jenkins has been at Penn for almost a year. The slaughter notification was all over the overnight at least several DOZEN times earlier in the year. You'd have to be a complete moron to not know about the policy.

2.) Apparently, Jenkins doesn't know about the Clen Buterol rule either has he has had several positive drug tests in the past year including one recently after having a few quickly in May - to which he said he didn't understand the rule regarding Clen Buterol...what's the excuse for the positive recently?

3.) Give me a break about trainers at Penn getting snookered into giving the horse a good home. As someone who has successfully dealt with getting horses good homes, it's very easy to spot the phony buyers compared to the real buyers. It's much easier to say "i gave him to someone who was going to give him a good home (knowing it may not be)" than it is to keep feeding them.

Penn National could care less about these horses going to the killers. Their enforcement of this policy will never be like Suffolk - it was clearly a move to get some good PR and nothing more.
      Last edited by DickHertz; Jan. 15, 2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Dick - thanks for clearing all of that up. I didn't know he'd been at Penn for over a year (I may have read the article wrong, but I thought it sounded like he was pretty brand new here), and certainly had no idea about the posi drug tests!
        ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
        4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

This isn't the first time Penn horses have been found and trainers' names publicized- and nothing gets done. A week after this "policy" was announced way back when, a trainer had two sold to slaughter- they were pulled by another rescue, and the track notified by that rescue. Friends of mine on the backside said the trainer was laughing about it all a week later......nothing was ever done.

This policy sounds good to the common racing fan but unless there is an alternative in place for these horses and repercussions for the "horsemen", they all go underground. Tracks need competitive horses on the backside filling races, non-competitive horses gone, and do not want to be in the horse ownership or horse rescue business.

Same old same old.

ETA-At least now Jenkins has horses listed on CANTER-PA
          Last edited by BeverlyAStrauss; Dec. 30, 2009, 03:25 PM. Reason: Footnote
          Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
          MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Comment

Originally posted by BeverlyAStrauss View Post
            Tracks need competitive horses on the backside filling races, non-competitive horses gone, and do not want to be in the horse ownership or horse rescue business.
            And then when they tell people to get certain horses off the track, but those people don't have their own farms or what have you, what then?

These policies sound so good, but then there are few alternatives. Like... "DON'T SEND YOUR HORSE TO AN AUCTION... but by the way you have to get those two horses that haven't made any money all year off the track by next week"

It's been said before, but unless there are giveup barns and/or euth programs, and more funding for local retirement groups so that there are actually places for them to go on tight notice, it seems to me the no-slaughter policies are lip service at best.
            "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

And Penn has given $0 to retirment programs. Not surprising. Their response is (sic) "the HBPA is getting more money than ever so it's their call on whether or not to provide funding to retirement programs."

Comment

Just as an FYI, I have been in contact with Chris McErlean, Penn's VP, about the Brandon Jenkins situation. Here are some excerpts from the e-mail he sent to me:

"Penn National does not have any published "zero tolerence policy" regarding horse slaughter. I have no idea where that statement came from nor do I know who it can attributed to. We have debated various options but quite frankly, there is no feasible way to have one defined "policy" in this regard. Even those who state they have a policy on horse slaughter (Suffolk Downs for example) will tell you that there is no "one size fits all" solution in this matter.

I can tell you that Penn National, and Charles Town, have identified several shippers that would come on to the racetrack grounds and purchase horses with the intention of bringing them to New holland or other more well known "killer sales." We have in fact barred two individuals who were conduting this type of business from our grounds.

As noted before there is a very slippery slope as to the enforcement of a "zero tolerence policy." How long from when a horse races does it stay in effect - through how many owners - how many races at a track? Do you specify any sale or just specific ones?

I know this is not a popular stance but I do feel that owners and trainers abdicate a great deal of their responsibility in these matters. I think the horsemen and their "leadership groups" do a poor job in advising their members as to options available for horses that can no longer race and in providing assistance or logistics to match horsemen and such placement groups. In most cases the track where the horse last raced is identified and it is seen as the track, and no one elses responsibility, to handle the situation. I am not saying the tracks should be totally hands off but I do think that the court of public opinion in most of these matters focuses too much on the tracks and not enough on those individuals who have the day to day responsibility of the horses."

Comment

I'm not surprised that Chris McEarlern doesn't read the overnights his own company puts out. So, I guess instead of

"Any trainer whose horses are found at local slaughter facility and sold for slaughter face the loss of their stalls and a possible managment exclusion"

to

"We really don't want you to send horses to slaughter because it's bad PR for horse racing when these rescue groups find our horses there."

Comment

Well said, DickHertz.........

It is certainly not the sole responsibility of the racetracks to provide an "out"- everyone who is involved with racing- EVERYONE- should have to contribute in one way or another to the welfare of our ex-racers.

That blurb on the bottom of the overnight causes far more horses to be lost than allowing them to go to New Holland. And those 'shifty undesirable truckers'? They work with us and call us about salvageable horses all the time- they are not the bad guys here. They are not the ones breeding them. They are not the ones breaking the horses down. They are not the ones tapping joints again and again and again. They are not the ones telling trainers to move the slow ones out. They are simply the cleanup guys.

Comment

I was having a conversation with my daughter the other day and she mentioned "Brandon" who is in the same barn at Penn. I asked her if it was Brandon Jenkins and, of course, she said yes. I told her that there's been some bad press about him and she reiterated the oft-quoted opinion that one can't be responsible for a horse that has been given/sold to another person who intends to give the horse a new lease on life. Which is true, of course, but doesn't always pass the sniff test when a TB is moved off the track.

I doubt she knows about the bad tests. Why in the world is this guy still stabled there? He's had FOUR bad tests within a year's time? For cryingoutloud, what else does management need for ammunition? I'm not naive. Not by a long shot. I've seen it all. But, in case any of the powers the be care, they might open their eyes, put their asses on the line and take actions to get the bad guys out of Dodge.

TB racing is in big trouble. Everywhere. I maintain that cheating undermines the sport in every possible way and the horses pay the ultimate price. I know that the world revolves around the all-mighty dollar, but, from my humble, teeny-tiny perspective, the thrill of bringing along a "cheap" horse, without the high-priced breeding, without the big name trainer, and winning races....sometimes Stakes races....is the motivation to continue on, without cheating. Where is the thrill in that?

And, if racing is merely a business with a focus on the bottom-line, level the playing field. Throw out the bums. Monitor barns. Get commando about banning trainers with out-of-the-ballpark infractions that involve blocking, excessive tapping, snake-venom injections.

And, to get back on-track (pun intentional), every track should have a venue for posting horses for sale/adoption at the completion of their racing careers. It's not difficult, but it does involve dedicated people who are committed to finding homes for the ex-racers. They are NOT difficult to place: savvy horse people all over the country know that these horses are diamonds in the rough. OTTBs are more easily placed than many trainers may realize. To send them to auction is a product of sheer laziness, e.g. I need this stall empty now. Shame on them.

Geez, I got my goat up! Can't help it. NOT ONE SINGLE HORSE deserves to have the last ride on a double decker.

Comment

"And, if racing is merely a business with a focus on the bottom-line, level the playing field. Throw out the bums. Monitor barns. Get commando about banning trainers with out-of-the-ballpark infractions that involve blocking, excessive tapping, snake-venom injections. "

Agreed BUT tracks everywhere are facing short fields- they need horses to run races to keep the slots going and the few bettors left coming to the windows. IMHO the future holds many tracks shuttered or turned into straight casinos.......

Comment

Agreed BUT tracks everywhere are facing short fields- they need horses to run races to keep the slots going and the few bettors left coming to the windows. IMHO the future holds many tracks shuttered or turned into straight casinos.......
                          Tracks do fear this, but I wonder when Horse Racing will realize how many owners turn sour on a daily basis because they lose races to known chemists. I truly believe if the game was cleaned up and the horseman would once again start winning races that a lot of former owners would come back eventually. Perhaps wishful thinking, but I know A LOT of people who left because the sport is a joke right now.

You need to look no further than the laughable situation at Philly Park. Jayne Cheater Vaders is given lifetime ban and Old Ed Auwater who has seen the winner's circle as much as Zippy Chippy, suddenly becomes a 20% trainer overnight. Why? because the man running the shedrow is still the same guy that was there when Vaders was the program trainer.

I for the life of me can not understand why people do not get more than just loss of purse for Class IV or higher infractions. And when situations like what is going on at Philly Park come up, why not just reassign the stalls to a completely different trainer instead of someone who hardly knows how to put on a tongue tie?

The reality is about half of the tracks in this country are owned by gaming companies, not racetrack companies. And for that reason, the sport is quickly going down the toilet. In two years, there will be no racing at Mountaineer Park. In five years, there will be no racing at Penn National. Don't know about others, but these two will definitely not be running horses after those time frames.

Does anyone reading this really think that the Jamie Ness' and Julio Cartagena's of the world are really better horseman than the Dicke Small's of the world...even though they have a percentage that is about twice as good as he? Today it's all about how much $$$ your owner has and a formula to win. Got a lot of money? Tap with depo/acid mix, shockwave them, block. All of a sudden, you got a winner's circle picture.
                          Last edited by DickHertz; Jan. 15, 2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Just in case any non-race track people are reading this thread I got 2 of my favorite horses from Penn! Diamonds in the rough
                            http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

"Tracks do fear this, but I wonder when Horse Racing will realize how many owners turn sour on a daily basis because they lose races to known chemists."

That is the main reason why we don't race anymore- that and losing track of horses through the claim box and having them end up at slaughter in spite of our best efforts.....We always had a couple, from the 80's through early 00's, but no more, we are DONE.

Tracks must also worry about losing those pure at heart racing fans, they have gotten a lot smarter and care about the horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I didn't mean to spark this debate again...

I was just wondering if there had been any follow-through with this guy, as from my interpretation of the article, it was obvious that the trainer sent the horse to the auction directly, as stated from his personal note attached to the registration papers (and subsequently not showing up to retreive the horse). Since this didn't appear to be a situation where the trainer could pass-the-buck, I figured it would be a good indication of how Penn plans to handle these situations going forward.

Dick, it looks like Penn only keeps the current overnights up and neither of them have the zero-tolerance policy. If you see it again, let us know and maybe LittleHound can forward it to that wanker McErlean.

As for Clenbuterol, that could be it's own thread. They should've banned it along with the Winstrol.

Comment

• Original Poster

Not all tracks. Try getting a horse in at Tampa. Their short week seems to work for them. Also, I hear field sizes are up at TP because MTR closed. I think tracks need to work with each other to create a better circuit, and maybe shorten their week a bit. They just need to find that balance between filling fields and offering enough races to satisfy the horse population.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by DickHertz View Post
                                    Tracks do fear this, but I wonder when Horse Racing will realize how many owners turn sour on a daily basis because they lose races to known chemists. I truly believe if the game was cleaned up and the horseman would once again start winning races that a lot of former owners would come back eventually. Perhaps wishful thinking, but I know A LOT of people who left because the sport is a joke right now.
                                    Honestly, you know what pisses me off as an owner? The BS charges that show up every month. Like stall rent. At $70/day, stall rent should be included. $300/month for vitamins. I had one that came down with a lung infection at PID. $30/day for Baytril. Fine. Then the horse moves to Churchill and the vet bill is $50/day for the Baytril. My boyfriend is a racehorse Vet. I KNOW that the shot of Baytril cost that Vet $11.67. When I called the Vet (Dr. Lindquist at Churchill) to bitch about it, I told her that the guy at PID charged $30 and I thought that was a reasonable and fair mark-up. $50 is not. Her response was "well, the owners at PID can't afford to pay what the owners at Churchill can." WTF??? Until someone reins these people in, owners are going to get fed up and leave.

Honestly, I would love for my horse to pay his way, but I'm in this because I love it and I know I'm throwing the money away. I consider it's consumption value. However, it completely rankles me to know I'm getting screwed. That's the problem.

Comment

[QUOTE=foundationmare;4586922]They are NOT difficult to place: savvy horse people all over the country know that these horses are diamonds in the rough. [/QUOTE

I beg to differ. It IS difficult to place a lot of OTTBs. The big, fancy ones that will resell for a lot of money - no. People are in line for those. But the rest of them are a challenge to place. Needing a stall isn't just about greed - it's about the ability to continue in this business. You have a finite number of stalls at the track and turning away a horse that can make you money in favor of one that you can't even give away is a bad business decision. And, to be honest, dealing with many of the buyers out there is an utter and complete headache. I cannot count the number of hours I have spent taking nitpicky photos of every joint on a horse, trying to get video that shows the horse's gaits off to his advantage, and explaining that they are more than welcome to vet the horse, take him on trial, whatever - but I do not have his entire life history because I only claimed him a little while ago and no, he has not been trained to jump/work cattle/babysit kids on the trail. I still do it and try my best to find homes for the horses, but I have friends who won't - for the reasons I just stated. A place to drop these horses off would be a BIG help.

As noted before there is a very slippery slope as to the enforcement of a "zero tolerence policy." How long from when a horse races does it stay in effect - through how many owners - how many races at a track? Do you specify any sale or just specific ones?
                                      I very much agree with McErlean's point. Once you transfer ownership of a horse, you can't control what the new person does with it, but that tattoo will always trace back to the last owner and trainer who raced it. That's a problem. Plus, as a trainer, you can't control what the horse's owner does with it.

Honestly, I would love for my horse to pay his way, but I'm in this because I love it and I know I'm throwing the money away. I consider it's consumption value. However, it completely rankles me to know I'm getting screwed. That's the problem.
                                      I agree with Las Olas. This is what is driving owners out of the sport. It's hard enough to even break even in this business, but way too often owners are bled until dry from every possible angle. To add to LO's example - I had a young horse with a guy at the track getting ready to run. After I picked the horse up, I continued to get vet bills (and these vet bills were INSANE for a horse not yet racing - random joint injections no one could explain, 20 POUNDS of Thyrol-L per month, etc.). I called the vet clinic and was told that my account was on "auto-bill" and I - as owner and responsible party - was not authorized to change that. Only the trainer could make that change and until he did, I was responsible for paying all charges - all mythical, fraudulent charges for a horse that hadn't been in the barn for 6 weeks. I was floored - but that pretty much sums up the owner's role in this business - pay whatever bill is handed to you and keep your eyes and mouth shut. I'm not sure how that got to be the norm, but it gets old to a lot of people very quickly - especially when your horses aren't running well.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyFox View Post

I beg to differ. It IS difficult to place a lot of OTTBs. The big, fancy ones that will resell for a lot of money - no. People are in line for those. But the rest of them are a challenge to place.
                                        And a challenge to resell, regardless of how nimble and honest they may be.

I had a young horse with a guy at the track getting ready to run. After I picked the horse up, I continued to get vet bills (and these vet bills were INSANE for a horse not yet racing - random joint injections no one could explain, 20 POUNDS of Thyrol-L per month, etc.). I called the vet clinic and was told that my account was on "auto-bill" and I - as owner and responsible party - was not authorized to change that. Only the trainer could make that change and until he did, I was responsible for paying all charges - all mythical, fraudulent charges for a horse that hadn't been in the barn for 6 weeks. I was floored - but that pretty much sums up the owner's role in this business - pay whatever bill is handed to you and keep your eyes and mouth shut. I'm not sure how that got to be the norm, but it gets old to a lot of people very quickly - especially when your horses aren't running well.
                                        Wow, just wow.

Comment

Working...
                                        X