• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Praise to Assistant Starter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praise to Assistant Starter

I watched the replay of the start of the Breeder's Cup Classic, specifically Quality Road's behavior.
    Praise to the assistant starter who hung on to him after he broke through the front. Can you imagine a blindfolded, riderless, panic-stricken horse bolting down the stretch, probably hurting, maybe killing himself, in front of an international audience?
    I would rather not. Thank goodness there was a relatively good outcome. Hope the horse is OK.

Assistant starters ROCK.

Only the jockeys have a job more dangerous than the assistant starter in my opinion. I don't think the "gate crew" ever get enough credit for all they do. Kudos to all those guys out there that risk life and limb daily to make the races run smoothly. I have seen starters pull jockeys out of the gate when a horse flips and has him pinned saving the rider's life. It is just all in a day's work for them. As a horse owner and trainer, I just want to thank all the starters for a job well done.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

Comment

For what its worth my opinion is that before the blindfold load attempt, they should've gone with front loading (backed into the gate vs walking forward in) but after the chain of events I'll concur the assistant starter was certainly brave in minimizing what could've been even worse.

Todd Pletcher's team has worked with trying to overcome it with gate schooling for QR but you just never know what a horse is going to do.

Comment

Given what happened, I'm not sure there is any way Quality Road was going in that gate, backwards, forwards, or sideways. He'd made up his mind after the first attempt that today was not the day. (I've had trailer loads like that and in this case you can't take two hours to get things organized.) Good on the Assistant Starters for keeping things as under control as possible and good on the vet for calling it.
        Author Page
        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

So how bad do they have to be to get their gate card yanked?
          Cindy

Comment

The assistant starter at QR's head really did an amazingly good job holding on to him. I was watching on TV and was terrified the horse was going to get away from him. I can't believe he was able to hold on.

The gate crew really does have a very dangerous job and they aren't compensated well enough.

It was a shame to see a horse behave that badly in a marquee race.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyFox View Post

It was a shame to see a horse behave that badly in a marquee race.
              He's a horse. Who knows what was going on in his head? He doesn't know it's a big race. Any horse on any day, even the ones you think are bombproof, can decide this is going to be the big explosion. Asking a horse to get in a starting gate or a trailer or even a small stall is asking them to let training override a few million years of instinct about narrow confined spaces that make scary noises. He's apparently always been a nervous loader, and maybe with the huge crowd and additional excitement and maybe the people were more hyped than normal and the other horses were more keyed up the switch just flipped. And once a 1000-lb horse decides he's not doing something and means it, there really isn't a whole lot anyone can do to force him.

And whatever they pay the Assistants, it's not enough. Not even the hanging on, I"m looking at those flying back hooves....
              Author Page
              Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
              Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

You can see a different view of Quality Road's actions on ESPN in the video of Jerry Bailey and Randy analyzing Zenyatta's win.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/

That whole gate crew deserves praise. A guy was in the chute with him and tried to hold him, then the guy who grabbed him and everyone else on the other horses.

There was a mention before another BC race of one of the European horses being banned in Britain for gate misbehavior. They said three times refusing to load and you're out.

Do you think Quality Road owners will give up and will go to stud?

Comment

Originally posted by FatDinah View Post
                  Do you think Quality Road owners will give up and will go to stud?
                  Folks this is one race and he had a melt down - which isn't 100% his fault. It takes more then just the horse to cause a situation. An ear pulled too hard, a snap of the crews whip too close, too much commotion, etc.

Quality Road has been pretty much the sole "big horse" for Virginia in 2009. He was bred at Spring Hill Farm in Casanova, VA by his owner Edward Evans. In fact Evans is I believe the largest TB breeder in the Old Dominion. Edward is the son of the late Thomas Mellon Evans, who bred champion Pleasant Colony, winner of the 1981 Kentucky Derby.

QR has had feet issues which took him out of the triple crown chase but when he's been feeling all good and back on dirt that horse can fly. No chance he'll be retired simply because of a single race scratch. If he does retire at the end of 2009 it will be because of the quarter crack issue or other health related factor.

Comment

I did not mean retire him just because of the non-loading. There were references to his past misbehavior.

But more, I meant give up because of his injuries and bad luck. I agree wholeheartedly that he is a racehorse that we have not seen the best of with his issues.

Comment

It's a thankless job for sure. Very dangerous. I don't think a year goes by where someone isn't killed or hurt badly at the starting gate. Still haven't figured out why some tracks still don't require helmet and vest for all assistant starters.

Glimmer, not that I remember where I heard it, but it is my understanding that Quality Road has been having some gate issues for some time. He needs to be worked with a lot though. I don't think it was anyhing the assistants did wrong. I think the horse is going to need a lot of work to get over his issues.

Comment

I seem to recall his trainer saying he's had some issues at other races, but when they school him at the gate in the morning, he's fine. If he only acts up when it's an actual race, that will be a difficult thing to fix. It's not like they have "schooling" races!

Comment

Yes - praise to the starters.

Observing QR's obvious distaste for the starting gates (just being a bad boy or fear?) (I think the latter) - I was wondering if he could jump. Thinking he should be moved to races over fences - where they don't have starting gates, right?

On other website a gal mentioned the helicopter that was flying around during the loading of the gates - seeming right over the gates when they were trying to load QR. I had forgotten about that - but at the time was thinking - "someone tell that d****d helicopter to back off!".

Comment

God Bless the Gate Crew Each & Every Day

[QUOTE=FatDinah;4488759]You can see a different view of Quality Road's actions on ESPN in the video of Jerry Bailey and Randy analyzing Zenyatta's win.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/

Oh my gosh, that is some video. Yes, great praise belongs to the fellow that held on in the gate for as long as he could; & to the fellow that held out outside of the gate!
                            "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

Originally posted by Glimmerglass View Post
                              Folks this is one race and he had a melt down - which isn't 100% his fault. It takes more then just the horse to cause a situation. An ear pulled too hard, a snap of the crews whip too close, too much commotion, etc.

Quality Road has been pretty much the sole "big horse" for Virginia in 2009. He was bred at Spring Hill Farm in Casanova, VA by his owner Edward Evans. In fact Evans is I believe the largest TB breeder in the Old Dominion. Edward is the son of the late Thomas Mellon Evans, who bred champion Pleasant Colony, winner of the 1981 Kentucky Derby.

QR has had feet issues which took him out of the triple crown chase but when he's been feeling all good and back on dirt that horse can fly. No chance he'll be retired simply because of a single race scratch. If he does retire at the end of 2009 it will be because of the quarter crack issue or other health related factor.
                              Doesn't actually matter whose fault it is, Glimmerglass--a meltdown that serious would give anyone pause, and a horse in that state of panic is liable to kill itself (and anyone nearby). If it were my horse, I'd be giving serious thought to whether it should race again or not.

Comment

This wasn't an isolated incident. Remember him being a pain in the ass to load in the Travers and in the JCGC. He unseated Velasquez behind the gate at Saratoga.

Spanish Moon who raced in the BC Turf is banned for six months from racing in his native GB (ban expires in December). In the meantime he has loaded in France and the US .

Comment

I watched QR load just fine here at saratoga a few mornings. Apparently its a race day thing.
                                  Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
                                  www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

Even more impressive view on the video linked above b/c you can see more clearly what he was doing in the gate and that the guy outside the gate actually grabbed him as he came out.

My thought when watching it on Saturday was that it could have gotten very very ugly if a few people hadn't been on the ball.
                                    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

It's not like they have "schooling" races!
                                      Australia has "schooling" races called trials. Pretty sure they are open to any horse but more oftenly used by the 2/3 yrs when they first start racing. They are required to do a couple before they are entered in their first race.

Does north america not have anything like these??

P.
                                      A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!

Comment

I always appreciate the work of the assistant starters. My son is one. He's a good one, takes his job seriously and has compassion for the horses. He's been beat up more times than I can remember.

We're coming up on the anniversary of the death of Leon Reed who was double barreled by a horse who was loading into the gate.

Call me a wuss....if they don't want to do it, there is a reason.

Comment

Working...
                                        X