• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sobering perspective on being a jockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sobering perspective on being a jockey

The first four stories in the Blood Horse headlines at current:

Rider dies at Blue Ribbon Downs A rider at Blue Ribbon Downs died Oct. 18 after he fell from a horse during the first race at the Sallisaw, Okla., track...

Kaenel Retires from Race Riding Jockey Kyle Kaenel has retired due to extensive injuries the 21-year-old Oceanside, N.Y., native suffered in a riding spill at Fairplex Park in Southern California Sept. 27...

Jockey Escobar out 4-6 weeks Jockey Martin Escobar was injured following the last race Oct. 17 at Remington Park in Oklahoma when his mount, Cuvee Blanc, fell just past the finish line...

Albarado Off Oct 18 Mounts at Keeneland Robby Albarado, leading rider at the Keeneland fall meet in Central Kentucky with 10 victories, was off all of his mounts Oct. 18 after a spill in Oct. 17’s sixth race...

Yikes.

And also at Keeneland yesterday (Oct 18) Miguel Mena Unseated, Sent For Precautionary X-Rays. Mena suffered soft tissue injury to his neck and left thigh but was described as “awake and alert,” by Keeneland medical personel.

Comment

Not suprised you haven't got much of a response on a thread about everday riders who work as hard or harder than any of the superstars. But start another one about a tatoo lookup or how some one "rescued" a horse from the track and you'll get 2 pages of responses. Wishing a speedy recovery for the injured riders.
      https://www.facebook.com/russellracingstable

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, hoping full recoveries for the injured, and condolences to the family and friends of Mark Pace.

But hey now, those identity seekers are potential fans. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather they walk away thinking "those folks on the racing forum are so helpful" not "racing people are rude."

Comment

Mike Luzzi

Did anyone here actually see the fall he had Saturday? I was watching, but didn't see him come off. Tom Durkin sounded like it was a terrible fall, as did the commentators on tv, but he got up, and after one race, he was back up and at 'em.
          Another killer of threads

Comment

When a horse is injured people flock from the other sections to usually say something nasty about racing, that's part of the reason for the length.

Also, I think sometimes we know what could possibly happen when we set out to be a jockey - you make that decision for yourself.

At any rate, it was a pretty sobering week. My condolences to the family of the jocky from BRD, and a speedy recovery for the other lads.

Terri
            COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Comment

Jockey died in France on Sunday too.

The French racing community was in shock yesterday following the news that highly promising jump jockey Guillaume Javoy had died after a horrific fall at Le Pin-au-Haras on Sunday.

The 24-year-old had replaced another jockey on chance ride Kahyasia in the opening race of the meeting at the Normandy track, near the town of Argentan.

Another horse tried to run out just before a hurdle about five furlongs into the race, forcing Kahyasia to put on the brakes in a violent manner.

After being thrown on to the running rail, Javoy was taken by helicopter to a hospital at Alencon after the racecourse medical team realised the serious nature of his injuries. He was then transferred to a hospital in Caen.

Javoy, who is attached to the powerful Francois Cottin stable, had 16 winners to his name this season.

"Guillaume was a very pleasant young man and a true professional," said Cottin. "He had been with me since the beginning of his career, which was far too short. I am devastated."

Comment

They were both replacement jockeys, too.

Comment

Very sobering indeed, but also something I think about all the time. Thanks for posting this, I havent been following Kyle much, knew his dad when he was just a kid, his sister Jill and Kyle when he was a tot. Glad to see he will recover. Prayers for the rest too.

Comment

Acertainsmile, Kyle's been riding a lot at Golden Gate during the regular racing season. His wife, Trinity, is Russel Baze's daughter. It has to be so hard to be part of a racing family, but not being able to actually ride anymore. I wonder if as he recovers he might change his mind. I wish them all a speedy road to recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by GallopGirl View Post
                      I wonder if as he recovers he might change his mind. I wish them all a speedy road to recovery.
                      I'd think if there is any self doubt and/or questioning in regards to desire or worse fear then get off and never look back. Just my view but ride with the slighest doubt and you're not productive and a potential danger to all ....

Comment

• Original Poster

TVG just did a phone interview with Kyle Kaenel. He says he's been doing some bloodstock and sales work, plans on staying in So. Cal, and has an interest in a little broadcasting (a smart thing to say while on the air with TVG ). Sounded very upbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Glimmerglass View Post
                          I'd think if there is any self doubt and/or questioning in regards to desire or worse fear then get off and never look back. Just my view but ride with the slighest doubt and you're not productive and a potential danger to all ....
                          The thing is, how does a rider transition to another career when he/she has devoted his/her health, youth, and likely educational opporutnities to the sport? It seems that a lot of riders come into the sport quite young, and opt out of training or education in favour of a career as a rider. There are many exceptions of course, but for the riders who DO take path A....there are only so many valets and agents needed. It is very difficult for anyone to change career paths radically, so I think that a lot of riders try to eke out a living galloping or breaking babies on farms, but facing a lot less income and the same risks. Some riders know no other life, and walking away from it seems impossible for them.
                          Dee
                          Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
                          Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
                          http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by DeeThbd View Post
                            The thing is, how does a rider transition to another career when he/she has devoted his/her health, youth, and likely educational opporutnities to the sport?
                            Valid question. However it isn't just applicable to jocks. Anyone who has found themselves 10-years into any career or with any one single firm faces the same rub when looking to make a change. Work too many years in one field you are effectively pigeonholed into that segment - no matter how much you may crave something else.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeThbd View Post
                              The thing is, how does a rider transition to another career when he/she has devoted his/her health, youth, and likely educational opporutnities to the sport? It seems that a lot of riders come into the sport quite young, and opt out of training or education in favour of a career as a rider. There are many exceptions of course, but for the riders who DO take path A....there are only so many valets and agents needed. It is very difficult for anyone to change career paths radically, so I think that a lot of riders try to eke out a living galloping or breaking babies on farms, but facing a lot less income and the same risks. Some riders know no other life, and walking away from it seems impossible for them.
                              Dee
                              That's something a lot of us are facing when we took jobs we expected to retire from and found ourselves on the lay off lists. It is especially hard when you have a very specialized job. At least most of the jocks that retire are still young enough for the most part to go back to school and learn something else or if they are older they've probably absorbed enough to find another career with horses (IF they even want one). When you are 50ish and let go they won't touch you with a 10' pole, doesn't matter if you need 15 or 20 more YEARS to get to retirement age.

Every rider risks their life when they get on a horse. People choose to do so anyway. The horses have no choice.
                              Last edited by summerhorse; Oct. 20, 2009, 02:37 PM. Reason: clarity
                              Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

I feel for the jockeys and wish them speedy recovery, however, lest someone begin thinking (from the "outside world") that this has just been a bad week, accidents happen all the time in racing, and much as anyone hates for accidents to happen to them, every person who chooses riding race horses as a career is aware of the risk percentages. The percentages are MUCH higher, of course, in steeplechasing, about 1 fall per maybe 15-20 starts. Hate it for them, too. But they also accept the risks daily.
                                What would you try if you knew you would not fail?

Comment

• Original Poster

The beginning of today's opinion piece by Blood Horse editor-in-chief Dan Liebman has a familiar ring to it.

Comment

The highs and lows in one single day appear to be the unfortunate reality of this profession.

Friday (Oct 30) at Aqueduct I'm watching on TVG jockey Amanda Casey score a massive upset in the 4th race with Wynot Siyue taking the win convincingly at 48-1! Then in the next race she finished a very close 3rd. So how does she end up the day? Going to the hospital where she'll be there for at least a week with a bruised liver from a feak non-racing incident

Jockey Amanda Casey, a South Glens Falls native, rode her first winner of the meet at Aqueduct on Friday but was later taken to the hospital after being injured in the paddock.

Casey's mount for the day's ninth and final race, Karakorum Jete, kicked her in the paddock prior to the race, catching her in the ribs on the right side of her body. Jockeys wear flak jackets during a race that help protect them in the event of a fall; in this case, the jacket somewhat softened the blow, but Casey complained of pain in the area.
                                    In just 7 mounts at the Big A she was doing well with a record of 1-1-2

Comment

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ical-condition

(From Keeneland)

Jockey Julia Brimo, who suffered injuries when her mount, Golden Stride, clipped heels and fell during the first race at Keeneland Oct. 30, has been listed in “critical” condition by the University of Kentucky Medical Center.

A native of Ontario, Canada, Brimo won the Sovereign Award as the top apprentice jockey in Canada for 2003, when she rode 75 winners.

At Keeneland, Brimo had ridden in two previous races during the fall meeting prior to the start of the day's racing.

More details will follow as they become available.
                                      Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
                                      Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
                                      Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Comment

Any updates on Julia? I read somewhere that she was updated to stable, but with no details. I hope to hear good news on this terrible accident.

Comment

Working...
                                        X