• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Just read Da'Tara did not finish Woodward

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just read Da'Tara did not finish Woodward

anyone know his status? I was there watching, but all eyes were on RA... didn't even know about this.

I asked the same question after the race. No responses. It was evident he was eased long before the finish line in the youtube video. He did cross the finish line though I thought? Hope he's not injured.

Comment

If I remember correctly, he crossed the wire, but was definitely eased- I'd imagine that the jock knew he had no chance and did not want to put unnecessary pressure on him. He did not appear to be in any immediate distress and was walked back to the barn. I have not heard any news on him after the race, though.
      Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Instagram

Comment

In the Saratoga thread I cited he was eased and per the race chart and is not tagged with the last finishing position: it just shows " - ". I'll profess that I don't know how Equibase notes a non-competitive finish (e.g. jogs or walks across the wire long after everyone is done) however Da Tara did walk off the track on his own and never was vanned away.

He's the one who set the insane first fraction that was not suited to a 1 1/8 mi race.

Alas in recent years - aside from Summer Bird - I'm hard pressed to think of a Belmont Stakes winner recently who has found measured success post that race save for Birdstone. Frankly it's been a career jinx to win it until this year.

2008 Da'Tara - has never won a race since the Belmont
        2007 Rags to Riches - 1 more race in the Gazelle Stakes, took 2nd in it and retired (injury)
        2006 Jazil - 2 minor allowance races with 2nd in both; then 12th in the Grade 3 Elkhorn Stakes at Keeneland (I was there) - retired
        2005 Afleet Alex - never ran again (injury)
        2004 Birdstone - just 1 start after the Belmont - the Travers - won it and retired (injury)
        2003 Empire Maker - just 1 start after the Belmont - Jim Dandy Stakes - finished 2nd and was retired
        Last edited by Glimmerglass; Sep. 8, 2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I knew they had him in there to be a rabbit as soon as the entries came out, I just can't figure out why. They could have sent an army of rabbits out there and it wouldn't have helped his entry mate's cause. The only thing I can think of is they were trying to get Rachel beat by any means possible sort of like Eddington in Smarty's Belmont. I never thought Nick was an asshat and still don't but that doesn't seem like good sportmanship to me.
          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

I also wondered why Da'Tara was even run... and I say this based on his last start, which was only several weeks ago. All in all, I just hope he's sound & ok.

Comment

I was wondering about this, too. I watched the Youtube playback numerous times and never did see him cross the wire. In fact, I swear I saw him walking BEHIND the wire. Not unsound, jockey still up, but walking off the track.

rcloisonne, I saw you mention that, but forgot to come back and tell you I noticed it, too. I'm sorry.
              "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

No, he definitely galloped across the finish line. I was there and I always make sure everyone finishes.

Comment

I'm a TB fan and h/j person, so not real knowledgeable about racing. Why is Da'Tara still running? Is he a gelding?

Comment

Though winless since the Belmont, Da Tara is only 4 and is sound. His last two were poor tries though, all the horses involved in the pace (save RA) in the Woodward were badly beaten.
                    F O.B
                    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

So what happens now to a horse like D'Tara? Will Zito continue running him, but in lower-grade races that he can be competitive in? Would he even be eligible for anything of this nature?

I am a bit clueless when it comes to these issues in racing, but I would love to learn!

Comment

Originally posted by JstMyLuck3 View Post
                        So what happens now to a horse like D'Tara? Will Zito continue running him, but in lower-grade races that he can be competitive in? Would he even be eligible for anything of this nature?
                        Well his health will have to be determined first. He's had two dead-last finishes but IMHO he's likely never been a graded-stakes level horse. Da'Tara is owned by long time Zito client Robert LaPenta who has been in the game for about 11 years and its very doubtful you'll ever see Da'Tara in the claiming ranks ever.

Per the NTRA site he is a colt not a gelding. That said his dismal efforts since the Belmont suggest he likely should be given time off and/or retired.

2009 races:

09/05/09 $750K Woodward Stakes (Grade 1) "8th" place
                        08/10/09 $70K Albert The Great Stakes (ungraded) 7th
                        07/12/09 $48K Allowance Optional Claiming (ungraded) 2nd
                        04/01/09 $46K Allowance Optional Claiming (ungraded) 2nd
                        02/28/09 $44K Allowance Optional Claiming (ungraded) 2nd

In 2008 after the Belmont he never even hit the board again in the Jim Dandy (G1), Travers (G1), or Jerome Handicap (G2)

Further his win the Belmont was a wee bit of a fluke he wasn't exactly impressive in his prior starts before that either ....

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE=Glimmerglass;4362798]
                          Per the NTRA site he is a colt not a gelding. That said his dismal efforts since the Belmont suggest he likely should be given time off and/or retired.

[QUOTE]

I agree... especially that a horse of this caliber (winning the Belmont and all) would never appear in any sort of claiming race. I mean, he's coming 5, shouldn't they just retire him? Is it a safe bet that he would go to stud? IMO, geld him and let him go live out the rest of his long life in a different career.

Comment

He's competitive at the Allowance level, why would you retire him? Some time off maybe if he needs, but Wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by JstMyLuck3 View Post
                              I agree... especially that a horse of this caliber (winning the Belmont and all) would never appear in any sort of claiming race. I mean, he's coming 5, shouldn't they just retire him? Is it a safe bet that he would go to stud? IMO, geld him and let him go live out the rest of his long life in a different career.
                              Just a point of clarity on my part - in 2009 he's run in Optional Claiming races however to me knowledge he was never "in for a tag".

If he's only getting 2nd in a $44k allowance race you have to question his continued racing ability on dirt. Could the turf be his calling or even steeplechasing? Who knows. However I'd think entering him into even Grade 3 races would be expecting a lot.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
                                He's competitive at the Allowance level, why would you retire him? Some time off maybe if he needs, but Wtf?
                                I'm only asking if this is the best route, for lack of knowing. So I take that it's a "no" to retiring.

Comment

Unless he is injured there is no point in retiring him. I imagine what they will do is persist and see if they can add a bit more black type, maybe find a soft G2 or G3 somewhere. His one claim to fame, winning the Belmont, also happens to be the kiss of death for a stallion prospect (when taken in isolation). So right now his stud value is not great. At this point it's seems pretty obvious he's in over his head at the high end, but if that was a reason to retire horses there'd only be 100 horses in training.

But seriously, I'm trying to understand your logic, why would you geld, retire and stick in a pasture a horse that is competitive and picks up checks in $50k races?
                                  90% of people involved in racing would be happy as Larry to have a horse like that.

Comment

• Original Poster

My logic was... a horse that has won the Belmont as what seems (at my first, novice glance) a fluke, but is no longer competitive w/ the big boys, owned by high-class individual who probably doesn't race his horses in just "any" race. I just thought there wouldn't be a slew of options left for D'Tara.

Comment

• Original Poster

...and also, this is nothing against you, but I hate how just because a horse isn't injured, "there's no reason to retire him". Why can't we retire before a horse gets to that point, so he can have a life after racing. I know everyone isn't guilty of this, but it seems many are.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                                        I knew they had him in there to be a rabbit as soon as the entries came out, I just can't figure out why. They could have sent an army of rabbits out there and it wouldn't have helped his entry mate's cause. The only thing I can think of is they were trying to get Rachel beat by any means possible sort of like Eddington in Smarty's Belmont. I never thought Nick was an asshat and still don't but that doesn't seem like good sportmanship to me.
                                        I've watched the replays several times and if any horse was a "rabbit" in this race it was Rachel herself. She led the field from the first turn. Da Tara was in front wire to wire in the Belmont. Did that make him a rabbit in that race too? He likes to run up front. So does RA.

Comment

Working...
                                        X