• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Nicking experts - please explain this to me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicking experts - please explain this to me

I am just learning about this nicking stuff. I plugged in several matches to True Nicks and got the following ratings.

Stallion A - A+, variant 4.75
    Stallion B - A++, variant 12.89
    Stallion C - A++, variant 88.84

All matches are with the same mare. I gather that A++ is better than A+ (correct, yes?). But what does the variant indicate?
  • Original Poster

Anyone?

Comment

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/truen...ages/faqs.aspx

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, I saw that. But I am still not sure how to interpret my findings.

For my nicks, is stallion B or stallion C the better bet?

Comment

• Original Poster

All-rightie, then. So no one here understands this nicking stuff, either?

Comment

Give this a try

http://www.werkhorse.com/products/werknick.shtml
            www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
            Thoroughbred Training and Sales

Comment

• Original Poster

The Werk site locks up my computer.

I understand the concept of the letter ratings from True Nicks. I just find their explanation of the variant somewhat ambiguous, so am trying to figure out if an A++ rating with a high variant is more of a gamble than an A++ rating with a lower variant. Sigh. Guess I will get in touch with a bloodstock agent I know and see what he thinks.

Comment

I imagine that no one is answering you because the debate on nicking has been re-hashed many times now. In general, most knowledgeable bloodstock agents give very little credence to any nicking at all. Farms offer nicking because that is what many breeders want - not because the farms themselves even believe in it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tmo0hul View Post
                  I imagine that no one is answering you because the debate on nicking has been re-hashed many times now. In general, most knowledgeable bloodstock agents give very little credence to any nicking at all. Farms offer nicking because that is what many breeders want - not because the farms themselves even believe in it.
                  So you are saying that companies like True Nicks only survive because of breeders that don't use bloodstock agents? Interesting. A friend of mine breeds for the track and she and her bloodstock agent are always talking about nicking. I have also seen references to it from TB people over on the sporthorse forum, so thought it must be a fairly common practice with the race breeders.

Comment

Bloodhorse True Nicks Webinar

http://www.bloodhorse.com/special-re...eeding-webinar

Comment

My pedigree analyst flies off the handle if I mention a werk rating. Her beef is they do not take the dam side into consideration when making their ratings therefore leaving out at least half of the equation. Which renders them useless in her opinion.
                      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I agree with Tmo & Laurie. Nicking is a pretty broad term, so I'm sure your friend and her bloodstock agent discuss it. However, the TrueNicks and Werk are very narrow in scope, focusing only on the sire line and how it relates to the dam sire. They are tools to give people some direction, but only a small part of what should be used when determining breeding plans. I put very little emphasis on those sire nick reports.

And, as an aside, I used to be Director of Sales for one of the larger consignment companies. I can say that I was never approached by a buyer regarding the nicking of any horse I was selling. So, commercially, it doesn't appear to have much appeal from the buyer's persepective.

Also, I bred a mare on an F nick once because the resulting foal would have a close cross of two full siblings. The resulting foal ended up being a BC stakes winner and a graded stakes performer. What's interesting is that this particular stallion had three stakes winners within two years' time out of mares by the same dam sire. If you look the nick up, it's still an F. So, the system has some holes in it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Las Olas View Post
                          ...the TrueNicks and Werk are very narrow in scope, focusing only on the sire line and how it relates to the dam sire. They are tools to give people some direction, but only a small part of what should be used when determining breeding plans. I put very little emphasis on those sire nick reports.
                          Yes, I realize they focus on how the sire line matches with the damsire, and I also realize there is far more to the art of breeding than just sire and damsire. I was just trying to determine whether TrueNicks places higher value on a high variant, or a low variant. Their explanation seems somewhat nebulous, and since no one here seems to know, I will see if I can find an answer through other sources. Thanks, everyone, for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
                            I was just trying to determine whether TrueNicks places higher value on a high variant, or a low variant.
                            Well, I don't have a clue! I think I have a brochure from them around here somewhere...

ETA: Does this help?

It is important to understand that the rating scale is not linear, so while a below-opportunity rating will have a variant of 0.01 to 0.99, an above-opportunity rating can have a score from 1.01 up to numbers as high as 500.00 and beyond. Generally, extremely high scores are the result of a mating which has had considerable success with limited opportunity.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Las Olas View Post
                              Generally, extremely high scores are the result of a mating which has had considerable success with limited opportunity.
                              That is what I was thinking, but just wanted some clarification.

So in my example -

IOW, there have been far fewer instances of the nick with stallion C, but those few offspring have been successful enough to garner an A++ rating for the nick.

Thanks for the pointer!

Comment

It really depends. This nicking stuff can be sticky. All nicks are not created equal unfortunately and it is very hard to say which one is better since both are not going to be equal in content. If you are looking at the variant alone, then: "In measuring the success a particular sire or sireline has had with a specific broodmare sire or sireline, our proprietary system compares the success of these two lines together against the success of these lines with the population as a whole. It then calculates the percentage of deviation from the norm, either positive or negative. That percentage is the variant, and that variant determines the nick rating....Any variant between +150 and +499 is an "A" nick, and we consider the vast majority of all "A" nicks as indistinguishable except by reference to how specifically the rating relates to the cross at hand. For example, an A+ based on the cross of a Darshaan mare with Sadler's Wells himself would generally be regarded as more reliable than the cross of a Darshaan mare with a son of Sadler's Wells. This is why we indicate what cross provides the basis for the nick rating just below the nick rating itself on our reports.....Extremely high variants are often the result of a small sireline population crossed with a small broodmare sireline population with which it has had success. This is a reflection of a smaller sample size and does not necessarily represent a mega-nick."
                                Also nicking and its value in the general horse market depends on whether you intend to race or sell. If you are nicking to sell, it helps to go back and look at what youngsters are selling for and all of their other information as well. There is a paper also out about how sire lines and mare line crossing (nicking) effects sales if you like it or can wade your way through it. http://www.agecon.uga.edu/~jab/Library/f01-06.pdf
                                And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. Revelation 19:11

Comment

Also, if you need further clarification, why not call or email the TrueNicks webmaster or other contacts directly? They should be able to tell you how it was calculated...

Comment

Working...
                                  X