• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

2007 Triple Crown class post-Breeders' Cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Triple Crown class post-Breeders' Cup

Thread title updated 1/12/2007 to make this the umbrella for the Derby discussions ... Nobiz Like Showbiz is still the early star as he was back in November when this started

Nobiz Like Showbiz: 3 starts before Kentucky Derby

Barclay Tagg has indicated that his top flight 2-yr old prospect will have three starts before the Kentucky Derby. Having won the Grade 2 Remsen alone, the colt has over $100k in graded earnings almost ensuring a slot on the first Saturday in May. Source: ESPN/DRF 11/30/06

Tagg said that Remsen Stakes winner Nobiz Like Shobiz would likely make three starts prior to the Kentucky Derby on May 5.

Tagg mentioned two possible scenarios that both start with the Grade 3, $150,000 Holy Bull Stakes on Feb. 3 at Gulfstream Park. Under one scenario, Nobiz Like Shobiz could go to the Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds on March 10 and then the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct on April 7. A second scenario could include the Fountain of Youth on March 3 and then the Wood.

Tagg said the Wood Memorial is logical because Nobiz Like Shobiz already showed a fondness for Aqueduct's main track with his 6 1/2-length Remsen score.

"If it's horrible weather up here or they're having trouble with the track I'll just go in the Florida Derby," Tagg said.
    An interesting other item with Tagg and his other sensation, Showing Up. From the same ESPN/DRF article he won't be going back to California any time soon: (excerpts)

Despite Showing Up's brilliant victory in Sunday's Hollywood Derby, Tagg said he did not enjoy himself out there for a couple of reasons.

First, Tagg said that California state vet Gary Beck wanted to scratch Showing Up the morning of the race because he thought the colt was lame behind.

"Did [Beck] think I'd take a horse for the Barbaro people to a Grade 1 in California and go to all that trouble and all that expense if I thought he had a chance of breaking a leg?" Tagg said. "Look at the position it put me in; all day long I'm thinking, what do I do? I've got to tell the [Jacksons] he's trying to scratch the horse. If I keep forcing the issue and he does let him run and he breaks a leg, then I'm a real [idiot]. It made me very uncomfortable all day long and I had complete confidence that the horse was fine."

Beck said Showing Up took a couple of bad steps after being unsaddled, and for that reason he put the horse on the vet's list for a 10-day period. If Showing Up were to make his next start in Southern California, he would have to work five furlongs in 1:03 or faster in front of Beck or an official Southern California vet.
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Nov. 21, 2007, 11:14 AM. Reason: 133rd Kentucky Derby, 132nd Preakness, and 139th Belmont are done: Saratoga next! BC is over and some still are running

Tagg needs to cut the vet some slack, it's the vet's job to watch out for stuff like that and raise flags.
    I read that he was whining over the seats at Hollywood Park too. He's one grumpy old dude.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
      I read that he was whining over the seats at Hollywood Park too. He's one grumpy old dude.
      It wasn't too many years ago of course that he was in the Triple Crown chase and the media began to openly loath dealing with him. Perhaps that was his intent, but then again I think the public expects good trainers to be curmudgeons.

Wasn't it the Jackson's who complained about the housekeeping condition [or lack thereof] of the viewing box assigned to them? Tagg mentioning the seating being disheveled to the media doesn't fully mean he was the one who complained to the Park management. Former L A Dodger's owner Peter O'Malley, Roy Jackson's roommate at University of Penn and a long time friend of the couple also joined them in the winners circle. So maybe he initially complained

Comment

• Original Poster

Speaking of 2-yr olds and the Derby, I'm looking forward to the results of tomorrow evening's $1M Delta Jackpot at 1 1/16 mi. The Grade 3 race will net $600,000 to the winner so of the limited-to-ten entrants someone will be eligible for the Kentucky Derby easily.

Birdbirdistheword looks to be the strongest in the field coming off a Grade 1 effort (4th) and having good start otherwise; still not to be ignored will be Officer Rocket (GB) and Xchanger as each have won a G3 race just prior.

Hopefully the 9:30 pm start time won't have anyone cranky who wanted to otherwise go to bed early

Comment

Originally posted by Glimmerglass
          Speaking of 2-yr olds and the Derby, I'm looking forward to the results of tomorrow evening's $1M Delta Jackpot at 1 1/16 mi. The Grade 3 race will net $600,000 to the winner so of the limited-to-ten entrants someone will be eligible for the Kentucky Derby easily.

Birdbirdistheword looks to be the strongest in the field coming off a Grade 1 effort (4th) and having good start otherwise; still not to be ignored will be Officer Rocket (GB) and Xchanger as each have won a G3 race just prior.

Hopefully the 9:30 pm start time won't have anyone cranky who wanted to otherwise go to bed early
          I can't believe they give a bull ring like that a Graded race.

Comment

• Original Poster

I can't believe they give a bull ring like that a Graded race.
            It is a lot of coin to be sure. Equally I'm a bit shocked it only attracted 11 entries (albeit a talented field) and they choose to accept just 10.

Comment

• Original Poster

Looks like we have a Debry entry ... from the $1M Delta Derby

First:Birdbirdistheword
              Second: Pirate Deputy
              Third: Xchanger

Go Poppa Fooze: final placing was 7th
              See: DRF 12/2/06 "Birdbirdistheword takes down $1M Jackpot"

Above info corrected per Drvmb1ggl3
              Last edited by Glimmerglass; Dec. 2, 2006, 07:07 PM. Reason: Edited Link

Comment

Glimmer, GPF ran down the field last night, he was 7th I believe. The DQ was for an earlier race.
                It was a suicidal ride by GPF's jock, I guess he thought he was riding in a QH race, as that's what they normally run down there. Insane first ¼ and ½ mile, then stopped like rock after ¾m.
                Takes a little getting used to to see them run 1½ times around the track just to go a little over a mile.

Comment

• Original Poster

Glimmer, GPF ran down the field last night, he was 7th I believe. The DQ was for an earlier race.
                  I stand corrected!

Go Poppa Fooze, who won the prep for the Jackpot, the $150,000 Jean Lafitte at Delta Downs on Nov. 3, was disqualified from first and placed sixth after he was found to have exceeded the permitted level of bicarbonates in his system. The track announced the disqualification on Friday.
                  The DQ was for the race on the 3rd of November

Comment

• Original Poster

Contrary to the high profile, and nose bleed high purchases of those wishing to get to Kentucky in May, try this for Birdbirdistheword:

A 2-year-old son of Pure Prize bred in Florida by Lucy Edwards and Randell Edwards, Birdbirdstheword was coming off a fourth-place finish in the Lane's End Breeders' Futurity (gr. I) at Keeneland on Oct. 7. The Delta Jackpot was the third win in five starts for the colt, who previously won the Harrah's Juvenile at Louisiana Downs. The colt was sold at the August 2005 Ocala Breeders' Sales Company sale for $32,000 and has now earned $702,100
                    Source: The Bloodhorse

Making a profit and punching a ticket to the first Saturday in May

Comment

• Original Poster

Bill Finley (ESPN) has his early mentions of 2007 Kentucky Derby winners and to no one's shock Nobiz Like Showbiz is among the eight cited.

ESPN/Bill Finley 12-7-06 "Eight winning Kentucky Derby profiles

It won't be Street Sense, Circular Quay, Scat Daddy or any other horse who had already hit their best stride by the first week in November.
                      His list does not cite good or bad Birdbirdistheword which could be a mistake. The eight cited are:

TIZ WONDERFUL
                      NOBIZ LIKE SHOBIZ
                      ANY GIVEN SATURDAY
                      BELGRAVIA
                      GRAPELLI
                      CHELOKEE (for those Barbaro folks, he's trained by MM)
                      SILVER EXPRESS
                      STRIKE A DEAL

Comment

• Original Poster

Nobiz Like Shobiz in good company

In recent years, horses that have finished second in the Champagne or won the Remsen have had a good track record of success as 3-year-olds. Nobiz Like Showbiz became just the sixth horse do both in his three-race 2-year-old campaign.

Recent Champange runner-ups who have done well in the 3-year-old classics were Afleet Alex, the 2005 Preakness and Belmont winner; Point Given, the 2001 Preakness, Belmont, Haskell, and Travers winner; and Lemon Drop Kid, the 1999 Belmont and Travers winner. Other notable Champagne runner-ups include Triple Crown winners Secretariat and Affirmed. Last year's Champagne runner-up was Henny Hughes, who became a Grade 1-winning sprinter.

Remsen winners Go for Gin and Thunder Gulch won the Kentucky Derby in 1994 and 1995, respectively, and last year's Remsen winner, Bluegrass Cat, finished second in the Kentucky Derby and won the Haskell before suffering a career-ending injury when he finished second in the Travers.

Off his emphatic victory in [the] Grade 2, $200,000 Remsen Stakes, Nobiz Like Shobiz will be at or near the top of most prognisticator's lists of 2007 Kentucky Derby prospects. Nobiz Like Shobiz won the Remsen by 6 1/2 lengths and earned a Beyer Speed Figure of 97. His time of 1:48.82 was the fastest Remsen at the distance since 1977, when Believe It won in 1:47.80.
                        Source: Daily Racing Form

Comment

• Original Poster

Some further info on where Tagg looks to be pointing Nobiz ...

DRF 12-21-06 "Tagg's two stars point for Gulf meet"

excerpt

"He's training normally but won't work until around New Year's since he's not going to run until Feb. 3," said Tagg. "He'll probably be a little different as a 3-year-old than a 2-year-old and I'll have to get a line on him as we go along, but the plan at the moment is to get him started in the Holy Bull, run back four weeks later in the Fountain of Youth, and then give him five weeks to the Wood. The back-up plan would be to keep him here for the Florida Derby if the weather in New York became too harsh.

"I just think I'd prefer to have five weeks between the Fountain of Youth and his final Derby prep and then four weeks going into the Derby than the other way around. Although if I had to change up it probably wouldn't be that big a deal."
                          So -

Feb 3, 2007: $150,000 Holy Bull Stakes (G3) at 1 1/8 mi
                          Mar 3, 2007: $300,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (G2) at 1 1/8 mi
                          Apr 7, 2007: $750,000 Wood Memorial Stakes ** (G1) at 1 1/8 mi

** Alternative to Wood is ...
                          Mar 31, 2007 $1,000,000 Florida Derby (G1) at 1 1/8 mi

(Btw - here are the nominations for the 2007 FL Derby already)

an interesting aside, Vine Hill is also nominated to the Florida Derby, he is trained by Michael Matz but more importantly owned by Whitewood Stables. The family owning that Stable also owns The Chronicle Of The Horse publication among several businesses

Comment

• Original Poster

He's looking good in the New Year - it will be wonderful to see the Derby chase start up and how his likely contenders Street Sense, Tiz Wonderful, Belgravia, and Unbridled Express fair as well.

Nobiz Like Shobiz gets back to work
                            By Mike Welsch
                            Jan 1, 2007
                            Daily Racing Form

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. -- While New Year's morning was an easy one for the majority of the horses stabled in and around south Florida this winter, such was not the case for Nobiz Like Shobiz, who celebrated his third birthday Monday at Gulfstream by working - four furlongs in 49.50 seconds under regular rider Cornelio Velasquez.

Nobiz Like Shobiz, who ended his 2-year-old campaign at or near the top of everybody's list of 2007 Kentucky Derby contenders, ran fractions of 12.82 seconds, 24.34, and 37.06, and galloped out an easy five furlongs in 1:03.47. The work was the first for the son of Albert the Great since his impressive 6 1/2-length triumph in Aqueduct's Grade 2 Remsen on Nov. 25.

"I wanted him to go in 48 and change, but it didn't really matter," trainer Barclay Tagg said after Nobiz Like Shobiz had finished cooling out back at the barn. "I just wanted to let him stretch out, and he went good. I like to have Cornelio work him when I can because he's light, he knows the horse well, and he's the one who has to be satisfied with the way he's going."

Tagg's first objective with Nobiz Like Shobiz this winter is the one-mile Holy Bull Stakes here on Feb. 3.

"I freshened him up pretty good after the Remsen, and he's put a little weight on," said Tagg. "I'm hoping to get five works into him before the Holy Bull, although we got a little bit of a late start. Since he went in 49 this morning I'll probably bring him back in five or six days. I couldn't have done that if he'd gone too fast."

Comment

• Original Poster

Worth a look back: Nov 25, 2006 'Remsen Stakes' (G2)

Nobiz Like Shobiz won the Remsen by 6 1/2 lengths and earned a Beyer Speed Figure of 97. His time of 1:48.82 was the fastest Remsen at the distance since 1977, when Believe It won in 1:47.80.

Comment

• Original Poster

(As spied by Equidaily.com) Top 10 Contender for the Derby by Michael Veitch of the Saratogian

The January 2, 2007 posted excerpted list

1. Nobiz Like Shobiz
                                2. Street Sense
                                3. Tiz Wonderful
                                4. Circular Quay
                                5. Great Hunter
                                6. Scat Daddy
                                7. Stormello
                                8. Liquidity
                                9. Belgravia
                                10. Horse Greeley

Comment

• Original Poster

Finally some mention of Birdbirdistheword, well down the list, after a gushing no. 1 for Nobiz Like Showbiz:

XPress Bet - White's "Kentucky Derby Top 10" 1/4/07

[first] Kentucky Derby Top 10 list for 2007:
                                  (1) Nobiz Like Shobiz
                                  (2) Street Sense
                                  (3) Tiz Wonderful
                                  (4) Circular Quay
                                  (5) Great Hunter
                                  (6) Any Given Saturday
                                  (7) Stormello
                                  (8) Hard Spun
                                  (9) Belgravia
                                  (10) Lawrence the Roman

In alphabetical order, lurking right below my Top 10, are: Birdbirdistheword, Day Pass, E Z Warrior, Liquidity, Minefield, Out of Gweddo, Pirates Deputy, Ravel, Scat Daddy, Soaring By and Teuflesberg.

Comment

• Original Poster

Initial Odds on the 2007 Kentucky Derby contenders:

Source: HorseHats.com with future odds

Their Top 10 by lowest odds for January 3, 2007:

Nobiz Like Shobiz 8-1
                                    Street Sense 12-1
                                    Tiz Wonderful 12-1
                                    Birdbirdistheword 18-1
                                    Circular Quay 20-1
                                    Hard Spun 20-1
                                    Scat Daddy 22-1
                                    Ravel 22-1
                                    Stormello 22-1
                                    Great Hunter 25-1

Comment

• Original Poster

E Z Warrior (listed at 30-1 per the early odds) a Bob Baffert trained colt looks to be in very nice form.

ESPN 1/7/07 "Unbeaten E Z Warrior dominates San Miguel"

Now unbeaten in three starts, E Z Warrior is certainly the quickest 3-year-old on the West Coast. But he still has yet to race beyond six furlongs, so his chances of becoming a prime Kentucky Derby prospect are still suspect.

The future was on the backburner on Sunday. This was his first start since the Hollywood Juvenile Championship in July. He suffered from sore shins last summer.

"I'm glad to have him back," trainer Bob Baffert said.

E Z Warrior, a son of Exploit purchased by Baffert for owner Ahmed Zayat for $1.2 million at Barretts last year, is unbeaten in three starts. Curiously, he has drawn the rail every time.
                                      Nobiz Like Showbiz put in a fine workout on Sunday:

If Elizabeth Valando's homebred colt needs any inspiration, the 2003 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner is now just a few stalls down the shedrow. Sackatoga Stable's 7-year-old gelding Funny Cide just arrived after a short winter vacation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Will we see the part Rick Pitino owned (Ol'Memorial Stable and C.E. Glasscock) colt, Buffalo Man, race aginst Nobiz in the Holy Bull Feb 3rd? Possibly. With a couple of good stakes victories it is time to take on the big players ...

Buffalo Man edges field
                                        Miami Herald 1/8/07

Trainer Cam Gambolati sent out Buffalo Man to take the $100,000, six-furlong Spectacular Bid Stakes for 3-year-olds at Gulfstream Park. Ridden by Eddie Castro, Buffalo Man was turning back from a winning effort in the Storm Cat Stakes at the Meadowlands on Nov. 11.

Castro sat just off the pace set by Voodoouthinkur before moving three wide near the top of the stretch. Buffalo Man began to draw off after the eighth pole en route to a one-length victory in a time of 1:09.60.

Gambolati has been ambitious with this horse, running him in the Grade 3 Sapling at Monmouth (N.Y.), where he finished third and the Grade 1 Champaign at Belmont (N.Y.), where he ran a disappointing eighth.

Gambolati said: ``He showed promise before he ever started. In the Sapling, he had the one post and got trapped down inside and behind a wall of horses and still got beat less than a length for it all. The Champagne was my fault. I asked [Javier] Castellano to try and rate him, and he got in all kinds of trouble -- bounced around like a pinball and stepped on three times.

The options are now the Holy Bull [on Feb. 3] or the Ocala race a week later [Feb. 12]. We'll talk it over, but after the way he ran today, I guess it's time to try the big boys.''

Comment

Working...
                                        X