• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tell me about the life of the backstretch workers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the life of the backstretch workers

such as wages, health and dental insurance, hours they work, do they get paid OT for time over 40 hours etc.

I know how hard they work and I'd like to better explain their life to my 10 and 13 yo. We volunteer for backstretch appreciation at Saratoga. It's been a great experience and I'm hoping that they'll come away from this with a better appreciation of the things we take for granted and perhaps gain more empathy for others.

Pay varies dramatically. Each track has different health programs. No overtime pay. It's a tough life, but a good alternative for someone who is not cut out to work on Wall Street. Most grooms only get one day off every other Sunday.

Comment

A recent book on Secretariat called "The Horse God Built" by Lawrence Scanlon might be a good read on the topic. It's about Secretariat, but really focuses as much on his groom, his relationship with his groom, and how other backstretch workers live (and how the money associated with a champion like Secretariat doesn't usually trickle down to the back stretch workers in any meaningful way).
      Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Comment

Originally posted by KBEquine View Post
        A recent book on Secretariat called "The Horse God Built" by Lawrence Scanlon might be a good read on the topic. It's about Secretariat, but really focuses as much on his groom, his relationship with his groom, and how other backstretch workers live (and how the money associated with a champion like Secretariat doesn't usually trickle down to the back stretch workers in any meaningful way).
        second this.

Comment

On the upside, a good groom is cherished and can put their hands on some really nice horses and associate with some big name trainers over time. When we do have grooms or similar help (we're small) we pay awards referred to as "stakes" to them for hitting the board. Generally we give $100 for a first, $50 for a second and $25 for a third. The feeling of prestige lasts a lifetime though. To this day my husband flashbacks to war stories of "when I won the Haskell" or "when I was galloping My Juliet", multiple graded stakes winners he's sat on the backs of...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy gray horse View Post
            such as wages, health and dental insurance, hours they work, do they get paid OT for time over 40 hours etc.

I know how hard they work and I'd like to better explain their life to my 10 and 13 yo. We volunteer for backstretch appreciation at Saratoga. It's been a great experience and I'm hoping that they'll come away from this with a better appreciation of the things we take for granted and perhaps gain more empathy for others.
            On behalf of the grooms, hotwalkers and exercise riders at saratoga, I want to say thank you! The backstretch appreciation program is something really nice for these guys, and I know they appreciate it. I actually take my son (he's 5) over to the backstretch pretty frequently, to the soccer games and the like. Some of the guys have known him since he was tiny, and have 'adopted' him, even if they can't speak the same language. There are some really great people working on the backstretch.
            Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
            www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

It is a 254/7 job. Can be hard labor. IS fun and rewarding. My day does and always has started really early. I kind of love being at the barn before anyone else (other than the night watchman). I love to see the horses doing whatever they do, whether it be flat out sleeping or munching quietly. Time to think and just be.
              Grooms get to the barn (depending on the barn) at 4 am. Pull bandages, hotwalkers rake up and fill haynets, poultice is washed off, horses that worked or ran jog on the road, temps taken, legs checked. Then the work begins.
              After training there may be schoolers, horses treated or shod, the barn tidied and raked up. Tack cleaned, race equipment set and re cleaned.
              Maybe time for lunch before the races start.
              Then schoolers of in horses, runners, etc... at 2 or 3 grooms and hotwalkers that aren't running or schooling show back up and pick stalls, pull bandages, hose and ice, jog workers, treat horses, mix feed, walk the ones that require it..... in the evening, waters are topped off and blankets put on. and repeat.
              In CA there is medical facilities available to backside workers.
              Wages depend on outfit and how many horses are cared for. Generally one is paid per head per week. No OT. Wage by hour would make us cry. Stakes make the world go round. Good outfits pay 1% or split 1% between staff for the month. Or pay a flat amount as someone already stated. I used to live for the 1%. Made my wage look MUCH better!!! You will find different folks different strokes

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I started thinking on this back a couple of months before the Saratoga meet started when I met a older lady hotwalker in Barnes and Noble one Sunday afternoon. We chatted for a bit. She told me how she hadn't seen her husband for 3 months and wouldn't see him for yet another 3 months. He was retired from the track and was living in TN. Lovely woman - talked of her family, how she missed them, how tough track life is yet how much she loved it. Then when the chance to volunteer came up I thought it was a great idea for the kids - but my 13 yo started asking me more questions about track life than I could answer.

Anyways, I thought perhaps things might vary from track to track - say the likes of Saratoga and Fingerlakes.

"The Horse the God Built" has just moved to the top of my reading list. Thank you for the suggestion.

Timex: The backstretch appreciation program seems like a wonderful thing. It serves a lot of guys and gals - and they truly appreciate it. We've met some great folks doing this and enjoyed ourselves at the same time.

Comment

I work a 8-5 job which includes lab, office and farm work. I have my own farm and I am very familiar with manual labor. This summer I took a week off work and worked at the track as a groom/stable hand. Granted it was a low end track with low end horses but I was very glad to get back to my 8-5 job with full benefits.
                  Up before 4 am at the track at 4:30 am. Pull wraps and cleck legs. Put horses on walker while you clean stalls. (I hate cleaning stalls bedded in straw) Clean water and feed buckets. Refill hay bags. Groom and tack horses for exercise rider. Walk with rider to track. Cool out horses. Check legs. Bathe horse. Walk some more. Wrap. Repeat with each horse going to track. Feed. Clean tack. Clean shed row. Ok now its all of 8:30am and now you can start prepping some of the horses that are entered today. Most days I left the track by about 8-9pm. I worked for free as it was a learning experience for me and I was bringing a couple of the horses from that barn home with me. I got lessons on condition books, training aspects, treatments on the track, horses way of going, etc.
                  I met several of the back stretch workers. Unfortunately, especially for women, there were alot of substence abuse issues. Two of the women I worked with got drunk immediately after they were finished. Both had children the state had taken and they didn't even know what state they were in. They were paid by the week and lived on the track. It is a rough life. The pay is low and the hours are long. The trainers carry work man's comp very little else. You really have to love working with the horses and track life to do it every day.

Comment

A typical groom has 3-4 horses assigned to him/her. Day starts at 5ish. Each horse needs buckets and tubs scrubbed, stall mucked, bandages pulled, and to be groomed and tacked when it is set to go to the track to train. After training, the groom bathes or rubs out the horse and gets it walking with the hotwalker. After cooling out, legs are washed off and the horse is put back in the stall. Each horse is then groomed and bandaged. Shedrow tidied, and halters cleaned, equipment and bandages washed. Then comes lunch (for the horses), around 10:30. The grooms then get a break until the afternoon feed. Most barns have a partner system so every groom does not have to do the afternoon feed every day. The groom usually runs through stalls and refreshes water, and sets in the afternoon feed.

On race day, the groom has to prep the horse for the race and take it to the paddock. Then the horse is cooled out and bandaged after the race. This is a long day if you have to ship to another track to race.

Most groom jobs are 6-7 days a week, depending on the barn.
                    Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

Ah yes, stakes. They made life a bit easier.
                      I have to admit that I am a bit surprised that so little has changed in the years since I was living and working on the backside. In big oufits, stakes were $100/50/25. Others did the 1% split among the staff.
                      Grooms back then typically received $50/head per week, and the weeks were a full 7 days. Most had 4 horses, some five.
                      Glad it's changed to include time off. Seven days, no holidays or time off was hard.
                      What has the per head average gotten to now?
                      Freelance rates from that era; $2 to cool a horse out in the morning, $5 in the afternoon. $10 to take a horse to the post in the afternoon. Pony people got $5 in the morning, $10 in the afternoon. It was $5 for an exercise rider in the morning. Jocks would breeze for free if they rode the horse. Some up and coming bugs would gallop for free as well.
                      Day rate (at a lesser track) ranged from $20 to $35. Layups farms ranged from $8 to $10 per day.
                      I'd be curious to know what todays wages/rates are.
                      Oh, and one other memory that just occured: You had to be in the shedrow at 5 a.m. promptly. One outfit I worked for had a radio tuned to a public radio station that came on the air at 5. They always opened the broadcast day with Kate Smith belting out "God Bless America" They had it turned up pretty loud too.
                      If you heard that song playing while you were still walking through the barn area, you RAN to get there before she finished! I can still remember sprinting through the dark and seeing co-workers running as hard as they could between the barns as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Counselor View Post
                        Day rate (at a lesser track) ranged from $20 to $35. Layups farms ranged from $8 to $10 per day.
                        I'd be curious to know what todays wages/rates are.
                        I pay $70/day at Preque Isle, $85/day at Churchill and you can get $65/day at Calder. The low rate at Calder is actually with a BNT, but his 'extras' bill is more than the training bill every month, so he's making it up in other places. I pay $75/day for 2yo in training at a farm in Ocala and lay ups are $55/day. You can find lower and higher rates than those, but I think they represent the norm. Haven't a clue about the wages.

Comment

I think those rates are a tad high, IMO, Las Olas. I've had horses come north from reputable farms who charge $45-$50 for 2 year old training. The $70 a day at Presque Isle is about $20 more than the average there.

Comment

Don't know offhand what the going rate for grooming is, but a guy next to me at Keeneland was making $250 to rub 2 and walk 2. Kentucky going gallop rate is $15, some pay $12, down in Louisiana I think some still pay $10. Keith Asmussen might be UP to $5 per head at the farm in TX though

Race day rate: pony is $25-$40, running a ship in is $40-$50.
                            To get in the winners' circle you must first get into the gate

Comment

Originally posted by DickHertz View Post
                              I think those rates are a tad high, IMO, Las Olas. I've had horses come north from reputable farms who charge $45-$50 for 2 year old training. The $70 a day at Presque Isle is about $20 more than the average there.
                              Well, that explains why it hurts when I bend over

Comment

Originally posted by Las Olas View Post
                                Well, that explains why it hurts when I bend over
                                If you're turning a profit, then what does it matter what the day rate is??? If you're happy then move forward, but $70 is near the top in Erie. I mean, there are all sorts of hay nearby and the workmans comp isn't outrageous. $70 is excessive, but if you are getting results then press on !

Comment

Originally posted by DickHertz View Post
                                  If you're turning a profit, then what does it matter what the day rate is??? If you're happy then move forward, but $70 is near the top in Erie. I mean, there are all sorts of hay nearby and the workmans comp isn't outrageous. $70 is excessive, but if you are getting results then press on !
                                  I wouldn't say I turn a profit, but for the most part, they pay for themselves.

Comment

Here in the NW, day rate is anywhere from $40-65/day. Our grooms get $12/horse/day. Exercise riders who go by the horse get $10-15/horse depending on how good they are. Others are on salary (ours gets $100/day riding anywhere from 8-12 a morning.) Afternoon pony is $20.
                                    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Comment

Many years ago after leaving a job in advertising, I went to work as a sales rep for an equine product selling at the track, my new office was on the back stretch...

I observed amazing dedication and hard work from the grooms along with long hours and poor living conditions. I hope that things have gotten better since 1980!

Comment

Originally posted by MintHillFarm View Post
                                        Many years ago after leaving a job in advertising, I went to work as a sales rep for an equine product selling at the track, my new office was on the back stretch...

I observed amazing dedication and hard work from the grooms along with long hours and poor living conditions. I hope that things have gotten better since 1980!
                                        In Canada, a good groom grosses $800 per week to groom 5 horses five and a half days per week and gets 1% of his horses' earnings. They take turns feeding are out of there by noon at the latest most days. There aren't enough good grooms to go around so things have changed dramatically since 1980 when I was paid $120 (entry level) for 7 days and had to come back 5 afternoons. I think I was earning $2 per hour. My trainer would not let me live in the dorms so I needed a car, to pay rent.... I quit and went back to school only to come back as a rider! Exercise rates went from $5 to $15 in that time. One year, a friend of mine groomed really good horses and was staked almost $30,000. You need to be a pro to groom grade one horses though. Also, one can live in the dorm at Woodbine very reasonably. It is nice for grooms with families to work at tracks with long meets. I think the worst thing about KY is the shipping every few months. It is hard to keep living out of a suitcase!

Comment

Working...
                                        X