• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Green Monkey won't start at Saratoga after all

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Monkey won't start at Saratoga after all

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=34748

The Green Monkey, this year's record-setting $16 million 2-year-old purchase, will not make his long-awaited debut at Saratoga Race Course, according to trainer Todd Pletcher.

"The Green Monkey pulled a gluteal muscle in his last work [August 2] and will be off for a couple of weeks, just jogging," Pletcher said Monday. "Unfortunately, he won't run at Saratoga."

The Green Monkey last breezed five furlongs in 1:03 2/5 over Saratoga's main track with retired Hall of Fame jockey Angel Cordero in the irons. He was pointing toward an undetermined race near the end of Saratoga's July 26-September 4 meet.
    Michael Tabor, John Magnier, and Derrick Smith bought The Green Monkey, named for a golf course in Barbados, at the Fasig-Tipton Calder 2-year-old in training sale February 28.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
    For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion - Unknown
    Pleasure Portrait 1989-2016...sleep well my girl

Oh, jeeze, come on!

Anyone else think this will be just be another footnote is the history of stupidity with overpriced racers? Todd has been overly cautious and as Linny said before (and has been grumbled by others) his training has been less then stellar.

Btw - the photo of the Green Monkey golf course (actually the monkey sandtrap) is on the Saratoga thread

Comment

I'll be very interested to see how his career turns out. This article about racing stride research was very interesting, and I'm curious to see if they will be right about The Green Monkey.....Sounds like he could end up being a disappointment. I've put the race horse excerpt below.

http://www.horseusa.com/horsehealth/...=63533&subsec=

From the Thoroughbred Times online, May 1, 2006-

Elite Thoroughbreds

Analysis of the extreme racing gait of an elite Thoroughbred is perhaps the area where the information provided by high-speed kinetics most seems to throw open a door to the previously unseen and unknown.

Jeff Seder of EQB Agents and Consultants in West Grove, Pennsylvania, began with a business and filmmaking background. He applied what he knew to getting good film of racehorses. He also began collecting data on elite equine athletes by attending Thoroughbred sales.

"Prior databases [mostly academic] included average athletes, and the information did not exist to describe the elite horse," Seder said. "So we became obsessive-compulsive about getting good data." Experts like Clayton agree.

"Mr. Seder has amassed a wealth of data and has been generous in providing that information for study," she said. Seder has published much of his data in a series of articles that evaluates the various detailed phases of gait in racing Thoroughbreds. Perhaps more controversially, he also wrote an article that relates racing performance to foreleg flight patterns among 900 unraced two-year-olds offered at major sales in the United States. Seder listed a group of 73 horses with "good" motion and a group of 77 horses with "bad" motion. The latter group showed extraneous foreleg motion, including hyper-rotation of the cannon bone (hoof hitting an elbow in extreme cases); winging, paddling, or wobbling; and other deviations from straight and correct motion.

"Good" movers were patterned more closely after the ideal. All horses compared were matched to have workouts of similar velocity.

The subsequent North American racing performances of these two groups were evaluated. Seder concluded what proponents of high-speed gait analysis had hoped for when the technology first began to be used. He wrote: "Extraneous foreleg motion was shown to be related to subsequent racing earnings and the level of competition attained. Horses with good foreleg motion (as defined and determined with high-speed film evaluation) earned more and had greater stakes-level success (83% higher earnings) than horses with bad foreleg motion."

Seder's data also has yielded information about high-leg-action horses and turf racing, about the lack of performance predictability when trying to use only velocity and length- of-stride measurements, and several other very technical facts about the vast differences and arrays of phases contained within the racing gait of the horse.

Seder pointed out that The Green Monkey, a Forestry colt recently purchased for $16-million at the Fasig-Tipton Calder sale of selected two-year-olds in training, had a fabulous 9.8-second workout, but high-speed film revealed that the entire work was done at a rotary gallop, a very quick gait that can produce fast times but costs more energy. In Seder's opinion, such a gait is unlikely to be maintained for longer distances. High-speed analysis of that horse's motion leaves questions in Seder's mind and puts tremendous, maybe excessive, expectations on the horse. "Really good horses have a number of ways to run fast," Seder said. "And if they are 'correct' in their motion, they will be able to generate more power and speed without tiring out or breaking down."

Seder did not set out to ruin the careers of those horses that were deemed to have bad motion in his study, and in a bit of kill-the-messenger mentality, he said he has sometimes not been well received within the racing industry.

"Roughly 80% of horses bred for the track will have some sort of problem and never make it to an elite status," Seder said. "The history of science is that innovation is met with skepticism. I'm just taking science and playing probabilities, looking for those horses that, based on our data of gait and motion analysis, have a higher chance of making it."

Whether you use the latest in cameras, high-speed analysis, and data evaluation, or you hang near the rail to find a way of going that pleases your eye, everyone is looking for the same thing--a horse that has a good chance to make it.

Comment

Yep, there are no guarentees when it comes to horses. Lets see... how much did Slew cost, 17,000? Money cannot buy a champion.
        "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
        Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Comment

Originally posted by Cammie
          This article about racing stride research was very interesting, and I'm curious to see if they will be right about The Green Monkey...[snip] Seder pointed out that The Green Monkey, a Forestry colt recently purchased for $16-million at the Fasig-Tipton Calder sale of selected two-year-olds in training, had a fabulous 9.8-second workout, but high-speed film revealed that the entire work was done at a rotary gallop, a very quick gait that can produce fast times but costs more energy.
          I'm not sure how many people would recall, but last year just before Lost In The Fog went off in the Breeders' Cup the producers did exactly what Cammie cited in the article: they pointed out the massive long stride and how efficient it was. Of course that was, and as people know I'm still a fan of his, just before he was utterly swallowed up by the field So you just never know.

Slew I think was $17,500 and Spectacular Bid was bought for $37,000 as a yearling

Comment

I just can't imagine how stressful it must be to be training the $16 million dollar horse.Talk about pressure! eek!
            "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinated
              I just can't imagine how stressful it must be to be training the $16 million dollar horse.Talk about pressure! eek!
              Only relative pressure IMHO as Todd Pletcher is, right now, one of the few trainers that frankly if the horse is a failure his life goes on without any impact to reputation. This weekend his barn took a lot of big wins and July was a knockout. If the horse isn't ready and just needs some more time that is fine - no need for him to pushed. Although I suspect his connections are learning now he isn't exactly Secretariat in training.

Comment

It would not surprise me at all if this colt never raced.
                Last edited by horselips; Aug. 10, 2006, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinated

TRAINING????!!!! How about hotwalking? grooming? exercise riding? feeding? mucking out?????

Comment

Why bother with racing?

The GM generates headlines just for putting his head over a stall door. They can just ship him around and cause a stir.

This horse is about a $16 million dollar measuring contest. If you're going to spend that kind of money, you can't seriously care about whether he can run. I think the same could be said of naming the horse The Green Monkey.

He does, however, have a cute, recognizable face. Hopefully, he gets lots of treats and pats and thoroughly enjoys his life at the track. He made a couple of pinhookers very rich and should be treated well for it.

Comment

Can you say FLUKE????

Agree with some others...somehow I just don't think THIS ONE is earning his 16 million dollar price tag....

But I can hope to be wrong...it would be nice to see another superhorse!!!!

I wonder if they groom him and bathe him with rubber gloves on....
                      My boys...
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/FirstStepBack
                      RIP Gem...for you are the greatest...thank you for the inspiration...I will always remember you!
                      Gem Twist (1979-2006)

Comment

Originally posted by JER
                        .. you can't seriously care about whether he can run.
                        JER, I'm very serious

Hey at least they didn't name him (something) dancer as the ill-fated overpriced histories of Seattle Dance and Snaafi Dance would alone doom this horse.

At least the green monkey name has an ever so slight Indiana Jones suggestion of excitement I'm very sure the horse is treated exceedingly well and given plenty of love.

Comment

Additional ....

Times union 8-8-06 "Monkey likely out at Saratoga"

Pletcher said The Green Monkey will be limited to jogging for another two to three weeks, so it's improbable he would be ready to race by the time the Spa meet ends on Sept. 4.

Pletcher said The Green Monkey will likely run his first race at the Belmont fall meet instead.

-- snip --

"I've never had so many people ask me about a horse," said retired Hall of Fame jockey Angel Cordero Jr., who is The Green Monkey's exercise rider. "People that don't even know horses, they ask me about him."

Cordero said he had thought The Green Monkey might not run at Saratoga, regardless, because he has yet to earn his starting gate card.

"We have done a lot of gate (work) with him, but at the beginning, he didn't want to walk in there and at Churchill Downs (in the spring), we were having a little problem to get him in," Cordero said. "He goes from the gate now, and he's very quick out of there, but we haven't broke him with the door closed yet."

Bill Nader, NYRA senior vice president and chief operating officer, said it would be nice for The Green Monkey to run at the Spa, "but it's a want, not a need. A need would be (Travers contenders) Bernardini or Bluegrass Cat, horses that are proven, not just an expensive 2-year-old."

Comment

It is too bad that these babies are not given more time to develop and grow before having to race. Two years old is young to have to start racing. I wish we could start them later and have them running longer but then again you have the issue of the dollar factor regarding breeding. I sincerely hope the Green Monkey does not end up a sad story - not for the money paid for him but for the horse himself.

Comment

Sounds like he has a few more problems then a pulled muscle. If they've been working on him in the gate since spring and still can't close the doors...

Comment

vaya con dios, Green Monkey flees Spa

The Green Monkey off to Belmont
                                By TIM WILKIN, Staff writer -Times Union
                                Thursday, August 10, 2006

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- It didn't take long for The Green Monkey to get out of town.

The $16 million 2-year-old was vanned to Belmont Park to recover from a muscle pull that will prevent him from making his racing debut at Saratoga, said trainer Todd Pletcher.

"I figured it would give him some freedom and me as well," Pletcher said with a laugh Wednesday morning.

Pletcher, who announced the injury on Monday, said Coolmore Stud, owners of The Green Monkey, took the news well.

"They were disappointed not being able to run at Saratoga, but, like always, they are horse people and they understand," he said. "If there is a setback, the long-term best interest of the horse is the main priority."

Comment

• Original Poster

And why am I still suspicious that TGM won't ever break out of the gate in a race??? Having said that, he is definitely one good looking colt... if looks could run I think he'd have it made in the shade...
                                  No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
                                  For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion - Unknown
                                  Pleasure Portrait 1989-2016...sleep well my girl

Comment

California bound ..

Looks like those folks near Hollywood Park may get to see The Green Monkey

With Todd setting up now a West Coast operation as well he will, per reports, be shipping the 2-yr old out west. DRF 9-19-06 "Pletcher planning California invasion":

"The main reason is Polytrack is out there," Pletcher said. "We thought about going out there before, but one of the concerns was always how safe the surfaces are out there. Obviously, the purses are good. . . . Mister [Michael] Tabor wants his horses training on Polytrack when possible."

Tabor, one of Pletcher's major clients, owns such horses as leading 2-year-old Circular Quay and the unraced The Green Monkey, the $16 million 2-year-old in training purchase who has yet to debut. Pletcher said The Green Monkey "probably" will train in California.

Comment

Oh, lord ... another Hollywood wannabe!!
                                      Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Comment

Originally posted by Beezer View Post
                                        Oh, lord ... another Hollywood wannabe!!
                                        Ah, yes, but does that mean Todd will dare try to use the Lindsay Lohan excuse of "heat exhaustion" if The Green Monkey continues to not learn his gate manners? We all know how well that story worked for Ms. Lohan in LA

Comment

Working...
                                        X