• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saratoga 2006 - is here! And they're off ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saratoga 2006 - is here! And they're off ...

Is anyone else excited that finally Saratoga time is almost here?

Saratoga Race Course's 36-day meet begins Wednesday, July 26, and runs through Labor Day, Sept. 4. There is racing every day except Tuesdays, and the first race is at 1 p.m. Exceptions are Travers Day, Saturday, Aug. 26, when the first race is 12:30 p.m. and Friday, Sept. 1, when twilight racing debuts with a 3 p.m. start.

The Jim Dandy Stakes (G2) which will be aired on ESPN, is July 29th and the field will include Preakness winner, Bernardini, who put in a bullet of a workout at Belomont yesterday.

DRF 7-18-06

Bernardini shows he's fast and fit
    Tom Albertrani is not one of those trainers who prefer to work their horses fast. So take it as a sign that Preakness winner Bernardini is champing at the bit to run in the July 29 Jim Dandy following a five-furlong workout clocked in 58.70 seconds Monday morning at Belmont Park.

After three relatively slow breezes, Bernardini was ready to roll on a steamy morning, carving out fractions of 12.62 seconds, 24.14, and 35.01, meaning he got his last quarter in 23.69 seconds. Belmont clockers caught him galloping out six furlongs in 1:12.28.
    Anyone else looking forward to this classic summertime racing meet?
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Jul. 26, 2006, 09:49 AM.

Wish I could go! That is my old stomping grounds (Ballston Spa) and my favorite birthday ever is still the one when my Dad took me, an 8 year old horse-crazy, horseless kid, to have breakfast and watch the horses work. <sigh>
    For the best pies EVER go to Mourningkill Bakery in Ballston Spa, my family still has a huge orchard and makes the best pies!

Maybe next year...
    Life is short, do it now. www.dleestudio.com
    OTTB's
    My CANTER cutie, Steely Dan - IL
    My Exceller cutie, Ace (aka FiftyThreeCards)- NY

Comment

• Original Poster

No Jazil in Travers Stakes

BloodHorse 7-18-06 "Jazil to Miss Travers with Bruised Cannon Bone"

The Travers could be thin with top-end talent - no Discreet Cat, no Barbaro, no Jazil, no Bob and John, no Bluegrass Cat (Haskell instead, I think), no Deputy Glitters (same), no Showing Up (will be running on turf) ....

Comment

• Original Poster

Travers Stakes presented by the NY Lottery

(Cross posted from another thread as it fits here well)

The New York Racing Association announced Tuesday that the New York Lottery is sponsoring this year's Mid-Summer Derby.

Talk about cheapening the image - these guys couldn't get something a tad more premium like Charles Schwab or another financial company? You have more key target folks up from Manhattan and Wall Street for the Spa then most other sports events save for the US Open and Yankees games. Why then have the lottery, why, why?

They couldn't instead get Chas. Freihofer? Adirondack Water? etc.

Comment

Private sponsorship is great. One public agency sponsoring another (NYRA is a non-profit but heavily state controlled organization) is yet another drain on the taxpayers of NY.

The fact is that it's just too difficult to go out and court private industry and the Lottery operates all those nifty slot machines...
          F O.B
          Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
          Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

The Green Monkey cometh!

Times Union Newspaper
            $16 million racehorse coming to Saratoga
            The Green Monkey, the 2-year-old thoroughbred sold for a record price, is expected to debut this season

By TIM WILKIN, Staff writer
            Wednesday, July 19, 2006

ELMONT -- The Green Monkey is coming to Saratoga Springs.

It's not a new restaurant or automobile, and it's not a new liquid concoction at Siro's. The Green Monkey is a thoroughbred race horse, and he's expected to make his first career start at Saratoga Race Course sometime during the 138th meet, which starts Wednesday.

The Green Monkey, a 2-year-old son of Forestry, sold for a record $16 million in March at a Fasig-Tipton horses-in-training auction at Miami's Calder Race Course.

Trainer Todd Pletcher said he has not chosen a race for what is sure to be a ballyhooed debut, but he hopes he will run sometime during the Spa's 36 days.

``He is a very laid-back horse, very easy to train,'' Pletcher said at his barn at Belmont Park on Wednesday morning. ``He might be the most highly anticipated 2-year-old to race there, who knows. I know he's the most expensive.''

The Green Monkey was bought by Coolmore Stud, a group led by John Magnier and Michael Tabor. He was named after a Barbados golf club of the same name that has connections with Coolmore. He went for such a high price after running an eighth of a mile in under 10 seconds before the sale. Horses typically cover that distance in about 12 seconds.

Pletcher, who has won the past four Spa training titles, said he is not going to rush this horse.

``I don't want to make any mistakes with him,'' Pletcher said. ``I'm not saying he has to win the first time out, but I am going to play it careful and make sure he is as ready as we can get him. Every once in a while you run one and think `If I had just one or two extra works with him.' I won't do that with him.''
            Photo of the aforementioned Golf Course: The Green Money in Sand

Comment

I've heard he's not training well.
              F O.B

Comment

• Original Poster

Hmmmm ... not accomodating the Whitney stable?

Perhaps Marylou getting the shaft, to some degree, would spurn her and John to buy back the old Greentree Stable facility which is the Stonerside Stable at Saratoga Last I knew it was forsale for $19 million ...

Saratogian 7-23-06 "Whitney name big as ever in racing"

So it came as a shock when Marylou and her husband John Hendrickson learned they were not going to get stalls for all their horses at Saratoga Race Course; seven are stabled at Saratoga Raceway.

[John] feels that, having discussed this with Hayward over a period of time, the stable has been treated unfairly -- enough so that Whitney colors may not race at Saratoga in 2007.

'It is not -- absolutely not -- that anyone here is looking for special treatment,' Hendrickson said. 'I just think that with everything that Marylou and the Whitneys have done for racing, especially Saratoga racing, that this could have been worked out.'

Comment

• Original Poster

On the topic of Saratoga ...

Times Union 7-23-06 "On Saratoga farm, a dream is born; Thoroughbred foal holds promise of thrills for racing owner, even though odds don't favor a winner."

"We do call it a business because once in a while your assets appreciate to a level you can't imagine. You can end up with a horse, by luck or wise choices, that can change your life. You can't do that with a sailboat." -Joe McMahon

A very nice, lengthy article on the McMahon's operations (of Funny Cide fame most notably) and foaling operation. Pictures as well a single page, print version here

Comment

Mrs Whitney's new trainer has done her no favors. She should take her stock back to Zito.
                    F O.B

Comment

I love Saratoga...my dad took me 3 times as a teenager...its some of the fondest memories of my childhood..I am really hoping to get up there this year..but my mom is really sick, so I am not sure I will be able to do it..Hope everybody who does go, has a really wonderful time.

Comment

• Original Poster

Good news with the security barns

Last year I recall more then a few cases were some very good horses did not perform up to snuff and a credible defense was the cramped, mandated security barn stay. Thankfully it has been improved this year ...

DRF 7-24-06 "New security barns get thumbs up "
                        excerpt
                        The security barns are used to house horses beginning six hours before they are to race. Only track vets and the horse's trainers are allowed in those barns, which first debuted at Belmont in the spring of 2005.

At Saratoga, where there is a premium on stall space, NYRA used only two barns that housed about 30 horses and utilized temporary stalls to house another 70. The temporary stalls, constructed under tents, were only 9 feet by 9 feet and had limited electrical capacity. Moreover, the plywood floors initially did not have rubber mats, and horsemen feared their horses slipping and injuring themselves.

By brokering a deal with Saratoga Gaming and Harness to acquire 47 stalls at the harness track, NYRA was able to utilize an existing barn with 50 stalls as a third security barn. Moreover, the temporary stalls are much bigger - 11 feet by 12 feet - than last year and are each equipped with individual electrical outlets. Those stalls are under a tent.

By eliminating two of three temporary structures, there is much more room in the security-barn area, including an area for horses to graze.

Comment

• Original Poster

Horse vans galore up the Northway

And interesting article on the migration up from Belmont to Spa

Albany Times Union 7-25-06 "The cast rolls in for Spa's show"

Once a year in late July, the busiest weekend for moving racehorses, the leads to Saratoga Race Course, home of the country's premier thoroughbred meet. By the time racing begins Wednesday, 1,655 horses will be stabled there, most arriving in vans streaming up the Northway.

As [Shug] McGaughey's horses fill the four vans, Don Gambill, an executive with Sallee Horse Vans, one of the country's two major horse-transport companies, watches and talks on his cellphone.

Sallee has 16 vans heading from Belmont to Saratoga. Brook Ledge, the other major carrier, has 22. Gambill says he's counted 14 vans from smaller companies this morning at Belmont.

"It's like the circus leaving town," he says.

Comment

Originally posted by Glimmerglass
                            Times Union 7-23-06 "On Saratoga farm, a dream is born; Thoroughbred foal holds promise of thrills for racing owner, even though odds don't favor a winner."

"We do call it a business because once in a while your assets appreciate to a level you can't imagine. You can end up with a horse, by luck or wise choices, that can change your life. You can't do that with a sailboat." -Joe McMahon

A very nice, lengthy article on the McMahon's operations (of Funny Cide fame most notably) and foaling operation. Pictures as well a single page, print version here
                            We purchased one of our broodmares from the McMahon's. Very pleased with our mare and would do business with them again. They're so nice!

This will be the 2nd year in a row that we won't be going to Saratoga. Next year though!! Come hec or high water!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Jim Dandy Stakes (G2) July 29th

Preakness winning Bernardini will be facing a grandson of Spectacular Bid: Minister's Bid (by Deputy Minister out of Princess Pietrina - Spectacular Bid)

Minister's Bid is a perfect 2 starts, 2 wins with wide applause for his efforts:

Brisnet Daily Notebook Keeneland 4-13-06
                              6TH - MINISTER'S BID (Deputy Minister) had an amazing career debut for trainer John Ward as he broke dead last in this maiden special event before gradually making his way through the field on the backstretch and taking over the lead coming off the turn. The three-year-old colt then widened that lead through the stretch to hit the finish line 8 3/4 lengths clear of the field, making mincemeat of the Keeneland speed bias.

Comment

Anyone planning on attending the races? I'll be there alot. If anyone wants to meet up for some racing chat or even an adult beverage send me a PT.
                                F O.B

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Linny
                                  Anyone planning on attending the races? I'll be there alot. If anyone wants to meet up for some racing chat or even an adult beverage send me a PT.
                                  My wife and I will only be able to get there for the last weekend So we'll try and see if we can attend the twilight race card on Friday Sep 1 (The With Anticipation Stakes for 2-yr olds on turf) and most certainly go see with other friends The Forgo (G1) and The Woodward(G1) on Sat Sep 2nd. Drinks will be a necessity

Comment

I'm missing Saratoga this year (now I am in the Pacific Northwest it is a bit of a trek) but will be wearing my best hat to the barn tomorrow in honor of the day. Perhaps a dress as well, though the muck boots might spoil the look...

Most of all I will miss backstretch mornings like the one when I saw Angel Cordero exercising a horse, and he waved to me.
                                    Publisher, http://www.endurance-101.com
                                    Blog: http://blog.seattlepi.com/horsebytes/

Comment

• Original Poster

Reference pages

The Times Union's Saratoga Page - good to bookmark!

Thursday 7-27 will be the Todd Pletcher bobblehead giveway.

Saratoga Special daily paper & updated from ST Times

Today's big feature is the six-furlong G3 $100k Schuylerville Stakes for 2-year-old fillies, a race not held last year but was recently won by Ashado in 2003.

PP HORSE, JOCKEY; TRAINER
                                      1 Chief Officer, Velasquez C; Mott William I
                                      2 Expertise, Prado E S; Lukas D Wayne
                                      3 Baroness Thatcher, Bejarano R; Romans Dale
                                      4 Becky's Flute, Desormeaux K; J Jerkens H Allen
                                      5 Angel Island, Bridgmohan S X; Blasi Scott
                                      6 Frances G, Borel C H; Pitts Helen
                                      7 Audacious Chloe, Gomez G K; Pletcher Todd A
                                      8 Cotton Blossom, Velazquez J R; Pletcher Todd A
                                      9 Desire to Excel, Smith M E; Breen Kelly J

Comment

Linny!!

Can we catch up on Weds the 2nd? I'll be up for the Dominion Award Luncheon and the races later that day...

Nancy
                                        www.canterusa.org

Comment

Working...
                                        X