• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How can you love horses and be a racing fan?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you love horses and be a racing fan?

I have been a major racing fan since I was a teenager in the 1980s. I grew up near Saratoga but couldn't afford to take lessons or even be around horses so I got my "horse fix" by following racing. My goal was to become a trainer someday.

Well, now I am in my thirties and even though I can't stop following racing, I am really getting to hate the "sport". I've worked for a few seasons as a hotwalker at Belmont/Saratoga and I've worked as a groom at bush tracks in the SW, so I've pretty much seen the top and the bottom of the racing world. I have seen so many horses break down that I've lost count and it is very devastating to me, even if I don't know the horse. I hate the fact that most owners don't take reponsiblity for their horses and don't care what happens to them. It makes me sick that millionaires could let their former stakes horses drop down to the bottom claming levels, when they could easily buy the horse back and retire it for life without making any kind of financial sacrifice at all. I hate seeing so many older horses who could potentially make nice pleasure/sport horses being medicated with Bute, Lasix, corticosteroids, etc., and raced until they break down or are permanently lame.

I know that there are good people in the sport but I believe they are a minority and I personally feel that there are too many tragic things to overlook in the world of racing. For instance, it never fails to happen, you're having a great day at the track but then one hour later,a horse snaps it's leg right in front of you.

OK,just wondered how you fellow race fans feel and how you handle the downside.
  • Original Poster

I have been a major racing fan since I was a teenager in the 1980s. I grew up near Saratoga but couldn't afford to take lessons or even be around horses so I got my "horse fix" by following racing. My goal was to become a trainer someday.

Well, now I am in my thirties and even though I can't stop following racing, I am really getting to hate the "sport". I've worked for a few seasons as a hotwalker at Belmont/Saratoga and I've worked as a groom at bush tracks in the SW, so I've pretty much seen the top and the bottom of the racing world. I have seen so many horses break down that I've lost count and it is very devastating to me, even if I don't know the horse. I hate the fact that most owners don't take reponsiblity for their horses and don't care what happens to them. It makes me sick that millionaires could let their former stakes horses drop down to the bottom claming levels, when they could easily buy the horse back and retire it for life without making any kind of financial sacrifice at all. I hate seeing so many older horses who could potentially make nice pleasure/sport horses being medicated with Bute, Lasix, corticosteroids, etc., and raced until they break down or are permanently lame.

I know that there are good people in the sport but I believe they are a minority and I personally feel that there are too many tragic things to overlook in the world of racing. For instance, it never fails to happen, you're having a great day at the track but then one hour later,a horse snaps it's leg right in front of you.

OK,just wondered how you fellow race fans feel and how you handle the downside.

Comment

I am kind of in the same place. I loved horse racing as a kid. I read all the black stallion books, begged my Mom to take me to the track. I even carried around a portable radio on the weekends all summer because they would broadcast the races and I never wanted to miss any of them.

I am also in my thirties now and still follow racing some but am also much more aware of the downside of racing. I don't like the horrible stuff that goes on but like any sport involving animals and money there is going to be bad as well as good. I still go to the local track in the summer but I am finding it harder to bet or spend any money while I'm there as I don't want to support the industry.

I think what bothers me the most is all the excess horses that result from the sport. It makes me sad to think of all the unwanted, washed up, non winners that end up in the auction headed to slaughter or bad homes. And since I own the most wonderful, sweetest, off track TB its even harder to think about.

So I send money to the TB rescues, and pray for no injuries every time I watch a race and sometimes feel a bit like a hipacrite (spelling?).

Comment

I'll have to admit that I get caught up in the same predicament. I love watching the horses run but knowing what goes on behind it is tough. I just wish the racing industry wouldn't start them so young and give them a chance to mature. Its too much pounding for young legs.

"I'll care when I'm dead" - me

Comment

• Original Poster

" So I send money to the TB rescues, and pray for no injuries every time I watch a race and sometimes feel a bit like a hipacrite (spelling?)"

This sounds just like me- I do feel guilty for going to the track and now the main thought I have during the race is hoping no one breaks down. I do believe that the racing industry will be extinct in the future and I hope it happens. I just signed a petition to keep slot machines out of the tracks in my state.

Comment

You have the wrong perspective. Race horses are not pets. They are not companion animals like dogs or cats. They are domesticated work animals similar to cows, sheep, etc. The only difference is that we do not eat horses (in the US). They have been bred for thousands of years specifically to perform work. The job of a race horse is to race.

People took this work animal and developed many uses for it as a pleasure and sport animal. They are also beautiful and have a lot of heart. But human-equine love is often unrequited, meaning people become more attached to horses than horses to people. Not to say that there are not affectionate horses, but horses can't hold a candle to dogs with respect to affection.

The job of a cow is to provide food, milk and leather. The job of a sheep is to provide food and wool. the job of a pig is to provide food and pigskin. It's not like wild horses were rounded up, broke, and forced to race.

What else is a race horse going to do? Most riders are not capable of handling TBs without professional help. they don't make good pets. Should people just stop breeding TBs? they are the foundation of most of today's sport horses, and many eventers come from the track.

I've been in racing since 1983. Yup, there are some bad people who take poor care of horses. But go to the H/J board and see how overmedicated today's show horses are just so Little Susie can win a blue ribbon! I say racing is much more honest to the horse than showing. At least race horses are winning money for their efforts. do you think a hunter or jumper knows he won the class? Do you think he understands why Little Susie is pulling on his mouth and jabbing him with spurs when he is trying his best to get around the course despite his sore back and his sore hocks? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Please, you can criticize racing when the abuse stops in halter, gaited, h/j, dressage, and other horse sports.

I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor don't bring me down...
            Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

forced to agree with Flash. Racing may well be cruel, but so is most, if not all showing. AND much of showing really IS so little Suzie can brag to her less fortunate friends about her blue ribbon collection. Little Suzie doesn't give a $h1t about the horse, as long as she looks good.

"Smile: It makes people wonder what you're up to..."

Comment

• Original Poster

So, just because there are unethical practices going on in other horse sports that makes everything that goes on in racing OK? That's pretty poor logic.

Yes, tbs were bred over the years for racing, but to say that they can't make good pleasure horses is not true. Yes, they generally do require a more experienced rider, but there is also a BIG difference between ottbs and never-raced tbs. I've noticed that the horses at the track tend to be tough to work with off the track because they still have the habits they developed at the track. Like walking all over their handlers, anxiety, being unsuitable for pleasure riding because they were never broke/started correctly. I am working with a mare now who was a dangerous, nervous wreck at the track but I think she is going to turn out to be an awesome riding horse, with time. Yes, tbs tend to be hotter than the average QH, but I think that most of them would be FAR better suited to being a pleasure horse if they did not have any on-track experience.

I think the main difference is that MOST people who are in other horse sports are just people who truly love and care for their horses. They do not "discard" them when they can no longer produce. Of course, at the top levels perspectives may get skewed and the best interests of the horse may get pushed aside.

Racing IS a business, at all levels.
                If racehorses can't keep racing at the level they are at and have no breeding value, they WILL be claimed lower and lower until they reach the end at the auction or hopefully, adoption. I think that like grayhound racing, this type of attitude is something of the past. There are better forms of gambling available that don't use animal's lives.

This is just my observation. One that I never thought I would come to- I loved racing so much as a kid.

Comment

Sorry Flash44 and horselips, I cannot agree with the argument that just because other horse disciplines have cruel traing methods, than that justifies the lack of right to criticize (and try to correct) cruel training methods in one's chosen horse discipline - in this example TB racing.

Whether it be in our specific horse disciplines or in other venues in our lives, our society, our government, etc., I believe that we have a responsibility to act in the best and most responsible way we can in our specific arena...regardless of what so-and-so in doing "down the hall".

Frankly, this is the only way that a society advances in terms of enlightment and moral progress. If we all just waited to improve things in our individual areas until the "next guy" got his act together, then progress would never be made, and we would remain fixed at a Neanderlath level.

(For example, can you imagine if that was the logic that prevailed in terms of granting women the right to vote..."We're not going to do anything about it until so-and-so does something about it, and so-and-so isn't going to do something about it until the next guy does something about it, on and on, in a never ending circle of "non-progress".)

Yes, cruelty in the horse industry is widespread, and there is not a single discipline that is free of it. But a way to step-by-step improve things is to take action in one's own area, however small one's "sphere of influence" may be.

Allowing someone's bad behavior in one area as a as permission for deficits in one's own area simply brings you down to his level.

[This message was edited by Whistlejacket on May. 23, 2002 at 12:33 PM.]

[This message was edited by Whistlejacket on May. 23, 2002 at 01:05 PM.]

[This message was edited by Whistlejacket on May. 23, 2002 at 01:08 PM.]

Comment

Racing is not cruel, people are cruel.

Not only is racing much more regulated than any other equine sport, it spends way more money on research and product and drug development to help horses stay sound and healthy than any other equine sport. No other equine sport puts forth such effort.

Racing is doing everything possible to keep the sport clean. When was the last time the state vet stood in the schooling area at a horse show to determine whether or not the horses were sound enough to compete? With the exception of bush league tracks, the 1 and 2, or 1, 2 and 3 finishers in EVERY race in the country are drug tested. A favorite that runs unusually bad is also tested. The stewards have the power to test any horse in any race. They can also test any person holding a track license, whether it be a trainer, exercise rider, jockey, hotwalker, or groom. All of the above are fingerprinted and on file with the FBI, as are all owners.

What exactly is your solution? Horses are examined by the state vet before they are allowed to run, and the vet watches them warm up on the track. The jockey has the power to scratch the horse as well. Trainers that run sore horses do not win races, and if the horses break down, they will probably lose the owner as well.

Racing is a much harder sport than showing. The horses are exerting themselves 100%, and injuries are unavoidable. Horses are much more diffucult to treat than humans, or even dogs, and injuries such as compound fractures become fatal.

And comparing TBs to other breeds, they are almost least suited to life as a pleasure horse. They are athletes, need regular exercise, and are more high strung than most other breeds. Plus, they are harder keepers as a whole. And other than eventing, there is not a big demand for purebred skinny fast horses in the sport horse world. Is the solution the breeders? Go ask any sport horse breeder how much money they are making breeding TBs for the show ring. It's more a labor of love.

I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor don't bring me down...
                    Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Racing is not cruel, people are cruel <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

excellent point

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MKM:
                        <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Racing is not cruel, people are cruel <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>excellent point<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, excellent point. The track is fun. It's a blast to have a few drinks, eat dinner, spend some money (win some?) and jump up and down.
                        [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I have friends who won't go because it's morally wrong.
                        Free country. Their choice.
                        Longeing a junior hunter for 2 hours is cruel.
                        Training Big-Lick Walking horses is WAY more cruel.

Don't make me feel guilty for having fun. Sadly animals do get used for our entertainment. I know that the horses in my life have been well treated.

Comment

• Original Poster

yd, it is not my intention to make anyone feel guilty. I just wondered how people who care about horses feel about racing and deal with the bad aspects of it. I love a day at the races as much as anyone and life on the backstretch is addicting, but when it is all said and done now, knowing the fates of so many of these horses outweighs any fun I have.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by saratoga:
                            to hate the "sport". so I've pretty much seen the top and the bottom of the racing world. I have seen so many horses break down that I've lost count and it is very devastating to me, even if I don't know the horse. I hate the fact that most owners don't take reponsiblity for their horses and don't care what happens to them. It makes me sick that millionaires could let their former stakes horses drop down to the bottom claming levels, when they could easily buy the horse back and retire it for life without making any kind of financial sacrifice at all. I hate seeing so many older horses who could potentially make nice pleasure/sport horses being medicated with Bute, Lasix, corticosteroids, etc., and raced until they break down or are permanently lame.

OK,just wondered how you fellow race fans feel and how you handle the downside.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good friend of mine is the farm manager for the mares, foals, yearlings and two year olds at a TB farm. I admire their "growing up" plan- everything is kept outside 24/7 except for the twice daily hand walking into the stable for meals. The owner does sell off horses which are not suitable for racing which I think is kind, they aren't forced to race. I can't fault them for that plan.

I know how they start their two year olds and it's not a bad start, much less "ride time" than my friends who are showing 2 year olds in WP so I do think Flash's post did bring up solid points.

I hate the breakdowns but it does happen in every riding dicipline.

I dont hang out on the track up in Kansas City and I don't know how the "not quite so famous" horses are kept. However, I see such sad situations at a local clinic due to owner ignorance. One gentleman brought in a horse which looked poor, VERY poor and it was not eating well. The horses was filled w/ worms. The owner offered that he wormed the horse last spring and he thought once a year was enough. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Another person brought in a foal, they bred the mare, because the mare kicked the foal off of her. They were clueless as to basic "what to do when the foal hits the ground" care and the result was the foal got joint ill, of the three cases I've seen it was the absoulute worst- hocks the size of grapefruits. The vet worked on the foal but it had to be put to sleep- all because backyard owners were clueless. The saddest thing was that they had another mare at a breeders getting her bred......

Support the good race horse owners.

SLW
                            "It is I."

Comment

As I stated in my original post, there ARE GOOD AND BAD in ALL disciplines and saying one sport can be critisized after all the others haved cleaned up their act is not a logical statement. If there are bad things going on in your sport than work to clean it up, don't say it is okay because other sports do it.

And as long as we are NOT generalizing, not all racing TBs are good for one thing. I own a wonderful off track TB. I am far from an experienced rider and though I do take lessons I don't require a "professional" to handle my horse. Matter of fact he is downright lazy. And God forbid I was crippled and unable to ride tomarrow, I would keep my off track TB because I think he would make an excellent pet. I know several people who have off track TBs and they are all wonderful. Initial training off the track might take someone familiar with the retaraining of TBs, but I think a huge percentage of them could go on to a variety of careers. They have wonderful personalities and if any horse could rival a dog in affection it is my TB. He will leave his food for scratches and always wants to be petted and played with. It is the sterotype that all TBs are raging monsters is what probably keeps a lot of people from getting a really good horse. My TB and I got scores in the mid 60's at our dressage show and the lady who showed him before was getting high 60's and the occasional low 70's.

I doubt that race horses know any more that they have won their OWNERS money than Little Susi's pony knows he won her a blue ribbon. Yes they are bred to run, but given the option I doubt they would load into a starting gate and run around the track any more than the pony would go jump a round by their own devices. They are no less "forced" than a wild horse would be.

But these sports are not going away and I don't think they should. But we should be trying to treat the animals we use for our entertainment with all the respect that they deserve. They aren't machines, but living things afterall.

Comment

...I believe my 7yo Mo' horse would load into the trunk of my car, if he could fit. He certainly walked right into the scary-looking wheel chair ramp chute (with stairs) all on his own. And up some bleacher-stairs, once just because he's curious and loves to make me laugh. But then, he's my big buddy, and yes, he knows it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I just found this thread and I agree with Flash. I too work in racing and I have some H/J friends who hate racing because it's "cruel." Most of thewm have only heard vague talk about abuse or ill feeding etc.
                                  I would add to Flash's posts that for most trainers/owners or other connections, the horse is a meal ticket. It is in their interest to preserve a decent horse. Sub par horses, as in ANY equine sport are the ones in possible peril. An inordinate percentage of racing people care enough to place slow horses. I work at Saratoga over the summer. I personally know of 6 well know trainers who placed horses in retirement right off the Saratoga backstretch.
                                  Race horses are bred to RACE. The ability that many have to perform as ring horses of all manners is testament to the breed.
                                  I realize that just because there is cruelty in other sports doesn't it right in racing BUT for a h/j rider to have an issue with racing beacuse of cruelty is unfair. Hunter riders should peek into some barns in their own sport before pointing fingers accusingly at other disciplines.

Resident racing historian
                                  May the horse be with you -Harvey Pack May you be with the horse - My last trainer
                                  F O.B
                                  Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                                  Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

I am NOT a hunter rider (I event at the lower levels and also do competitive trail) and I am not pointing fingers at anybody. Racing was the very first horse sport that I was involved with. I am very aware of what goes on in the racing industry, having worked in it for many years. My best friend has a trainer's license. I know that there are concerned people who do find homes for their horses but they are not the majority, from what I have observed. I simply wanted to know how fellow horse-lovers feel about the "unmentioned dark side" of the sport, but apparently, there is a lot of denial.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by saratoga:
                                      I simply wanted to know how fellow horse-lovers feel about the "unmentioned dark side" of the sport, but apparently, there is a lot of denial.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I for one will not deny the "dark side" but what do you do? Walk away from horses because there are New Hollands, because there are big-lick walking horses, because there are over-medicated hunters, because there are exhausted western pleasure horses plodding around in a "pleasure" class, because there are sore-footed, sore-jointed, buted to death horses in the barn down the road?

I DON'T turn a blind eye to the problems in the horse world. And I educate those who are willing to listen. And I take care of the one horse I have been blessed with, and draw the line at acquiring any more because I don't have the means to support another horse in what I consider a proper manner.

What else can one person do?

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship."
                                      -Louisa May Alcott
                                      "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

My feelings exactly. MY 1st love was racing, too. When I got my 1st horse, I didn't have time to follow racing as much. AND I also felt guilty, but old habits die hard. After I witnessed 1st hand what goes on in other breeds, I began to feel that maybe the racers weren't so bad off after all. At least they get to retire after a few years. Not so in the (fill in the blank) world. Yes, many go to slaughter. So do QHs, Apps, Arabs, TWHs, Hunters, Jumpers, Dressage horses, ad infinitum.

Comment

Working...
                                        X