• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Doh! I shouldn't have given him Dunkin'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doh! I shouldn't have given him Dunkin'

Then again the flip side is that perhaps they can do some kind of corporate sponsorship with the mascot to the slogan of "America [quarter horse] runs on Dunkin' "

DRF 1-9-09 "All American winner disqualified"

Stolis Winner has been disqualified from his win in the $1.9 million All-American Futurity for Quarter Horses following a lengthy stewards hearing at Sunland Park on Thursday. The horse tested positive for caffeine following the Sept. 1 race at Ruidoso Downs.

Heath Taylor, the trainer of Stolis Winner, was also suspended six months and fined $1,500 on Thursday.

Stewards issued two rulings in the case, one disqualifying Stolis Winner from the purse money, and the other suspending Taylor. Both were appealed to the New Mexico Horse Racing Commission. Taylor and Jerry Windham, the owner and breeder of Stolis Winner, were granted a stay, according to Kenneth Hart, a steward at Sunland.

Hart said the hearing, which included testimony from Taylor and other witnesses, ran from 9:15 a.m. to 2 p.m. Stewards then deliberated on the case before issuing the two rulings.

Taylor has denied any wrongdoing since the caffeine positive was made known by the commission last fall. He said at the time that the $1 million purse of the race had already been paid out. Last year, the horse, who has been sidelined with a minor physical setback, also won the Grade 1 Rainbow Futurity and Grade 1 Heritage Place Futurity.
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Feb. 13, 2009, 12:32 PM. Reason: The original Flickr image of the McDonald's billboard saying "Paying $4 for Coffee is Dumb" is gone , so link removed

Out of morbid curiousity, how much caffeine would you have to give a horse to get a real performance advantage?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
      Out of morbid curiousity, how much caffeine would you have to give a horse to get a real performance advantage?
      This inquired by a someone named Caffeinated? (Just kidding!)

See below for the scientific results

Inside SoCal 1-9-09 "Ruidoso has a venti problem"

New Mexico racing regulations do not allow any amount of caffeine in race horses, said the Racing Commission's executive director, Julian Luna.

"I know this, if there was any caffeine, it didn't go through his system," said Windham, a past president of the American Quarter Horse Association.

"It had to be a contaminant" in the test sample from another source, he said.

Caffeine has the same effect on horses as it has on humans -- "It jazzes them up," said Susan Vescovo, vice president of the New Mexico Horsemen's Association.

Racing Commission regulations list caffeine as a Class 2 substance, which has "a high potential for affecting the outcome of a race," according to guidelines on which the regulations are based.
      Perhaps the horse was slipped some M&M's?

OSU 1998 "Chocolate Treats Can Land Racehorse Trainers In Trouble"

While caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant in horses, as it is in humans, it would take several grams of caffeine to affect the performance of a 1,000-pound racehorse, according to Sams.

Researchers at Ohio State University found that three horses fed a vending-pack of M&M’s® chocolate-coated peanuts every day for eight days showed detectable concentrations of the stimulants caffeine and theobromine -- substances that are banned for horses that compete in races.

The chocolate in a vending machine bag of peanut M&M’s® contains six milligrams of caffeine and about 50 milligrams of theobromine. Both substances stay in a horse’s system longer than a human’s.
      Perhaps that's why the late Ethel Mar's stable Milky Way Farm and their runners did so well

Comment

Originally posted by Glimmerglass View Post
        Researchers at Ohio State University found that three horses fed a vending-pack of M&M’s® chocolate-coated peanuts every day for eight days showed detectable concentrations of the stimulants caffeine and theobromine -- substances that are banned for horses that compete in races.
        You can actually get a horse to eat chocolate?

Comment

While caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant in horses, as it is in humans, it would take several grams of caffeine to affect the performance of a 1,000-pound racehorse, according to Sams.
          The chocolate in a vending machine bag of peanut M&M’s® contains six milligrams of caffeine and about 50 milligrams of theobromine. Both substances stay in a horse’s system longer than a human’s.
          So, doing my bad math, to give them enough to enhance performance, an average sized racehorse would need over 330 vending machine packs of M&Ms.

Or 20 cups of brewed coffee.

(using "2" for "several" grams)

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Whoooooa....330 packs of M&Ms would make for one seriously tweaked out horse.

Horses metabolize caffeine differently than we do, so smaller amounts may have more of an effect.

According to this recent study, 5 mgs of caffeine administered intravenously was enough to significantly enhance performance.

This article from theHorse.com references that the caffeine from just 10 peanut M&Ms --not 10 packets, that's 10 M&Ms-- was enough for a horse to test positive.

Large enough doses of caffeine are actually toxic to horses, so lay off the M&Ms and Dunkin, 'kay?!

Comment

Originally posted by jengersnap View Post
              You can actually get a horse to eat chocolate?
              Oh YEAH!!! The late HRH Avery LOFFED chocolate. Preferably Peanut M&Ms. It was relegated to a twice-a-year only treat, though, because it does of course also test for the same stuff under USEF rules. He got it on Christmas and birthdays.
              "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Barnfairy View Post
                Horses metabolize caffeine differently than we do, so smaller amounts may have more of an effect.

According to this recent study, 5 mgs of caffeine administered intravenously was enough to significantly enhance performance.
                that's 5 mg/kg- assuming that means 5 mg per kg, so for an average sized arabian, um, around 400 kg (per some random website I found via google), that's 2 grams (2000 mg)

My CANTER blog.

Comment

• Original Poster

Or say Max strength No Doz which has 200 milligram per tablet, Red Bull at 80 mg of caffeine, 160 mg for Rockstar Zero Carb .....

Comment

So safe to say 330 packets of M&Ms --providing you could actually get a horse to eat that many -- would put you well over legal test limit.

Comment

• Original Poster

What about beer?

Along the same lines is something I've always been curious about - beer and race horses.

The oft cited old-school days of Irish and British trainers giving horses a pint of ale is less mentioned today.

Although a few horses have been in the US curious oddities with trainers who feed them a routine diet of beer:

* Tapit was given a bottle of Guinness plus three eggs daily

* Jonathan Sheppard it was disclosed this fall feeds his Breeders Cup F/M Turf winner Forever Together gal a Guinness daily

* Breeders Cup turf winner ('85) the late great mare Pebbles also had a craving for a Guinness a day when chilling out with her buddy Come On The Blues

So seriously how much impact - and I don't mean intoxication - would a bottle of beer have on an 1,100-lb race horse? And just exactly what benefits are there with an ale? I could see maybe the day of the race it calming some nerves and of course the barley and hops aren't unlike the oats of a horse's diet but what else is in there of benefit?

Comment

Guinness, Vanilla Ensure (chocolate will test), M&M's, etc etc.. take your pick.
                        When I first started as a groom I brushed a two year old filly that loved the peanut M&M's. BUT she would not eat the brown ones. I don't know why the guy I worked for at the time didn't enlighten me at the time that that might be a very bad idea. I had no idea.

Comment

Along the same lines is something I've always been curious about - beer and race horses.

The oft cited old-school days of Irish and British trainers giving horses a pint of ale is less mentioned today.

Although a few horses have been in the US curious oddities with trainers who feed them a routine diet of beer:

* Tapit was given a bottle of Guinness plus three eggs daily

* Jonathan Sheppard it was disclosed this fall feeds his Breeders Cup F/M Turf winner Forever Together gal a Guinness daily

* Breeders Cup turf winner ('85) the late great mare Pebbles also had a craving for a Guinness a day when chilling out with her buddy Come On The Blues

So seriously how much impact - and I don't mean intoxication - would a bottle of beer have on an 1,100-lb race horse? And just exactly what benefits are there with an ale? I could see maybe the day of the race it calming some nerves and of course the barley and hops aren't unlike the oats of a horse's diet but what else is in there of benefit?
                          I don't think it has anything to do with the alcoholic content. Something about it supposedly helps with sweating.
                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                            I don't think it has anything to do with the alcoholic content. Something about it supposedly helps with sweating.
                            Interesting.

From that I came across this on the internet for 'non-sweater' horses:

Adding coffee grounds to the feed is one old Cajun trick that some claim is effective. Adding beer to the feed is another method that has proven helpful in some cases. "Lite" salt (a combination of regular salt and potassium chloride) also can be added to the horse's daily grain ration to help promote sweating.
                            I don't believe that alcohol in a horse's blood stream would get a horse DQ'd from a race? Or am I incorrect. It certainly isn't a drug which gives an advantage. Don't get me wrong I do recall this violation :Vet Accused of Giving Horses Vodka

The University of Pennsylvania has developed a blood test that can detect alcohol in horses, and the University of California-Davis is studying the possible development of a post-race breathalyzer, Waterman said.

The blood test is quite expensive, he said, because the technology is relatively new.
                            So why not just a non-alcoholic beer such as a Kaliber?
                            Last edited by Glimmerglass; Jan. 9, 2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Guinness is often used for horses that have no appetite as well as the horses with anhydrosis.
                              Vodka IV is a pre race thing and it doesn't test. Nothing like running with a hang over and how well they really do run!

Comment

60ccs of absolut in the vein, I can't remember how far out as its been a long time since I have used it. Worked like a charm.
                                McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Guinness Dark has a lot of the same micronutrients that are in Source, the feed supp.
                                  "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

60ccs of absolut in the vein, I can't remember how far out as its been a long time since I have used it. Worked like a charm.

Exactly! Like a charm!
                                    Who was that guy I think at Turf Paradise that was recently was suspended for his horses blowing over.. kidding... for using "moonshine ish" alcohol but was caught and it was found in his tack room?
                                    I wish they could give me a few cc in the pipe once in a while.. again kidding! sort of..

ETA Potassium chloride has more uses than just for the horse with anhydrosis. We do give it daily to very normally sweating horses. I have only actually run into one non sweater by Broken Vow. He was sent to a cooler climate and it seemed to kick start the sweating.

Comment

The cheap stuff works well too Laurie...

Comment

I'm sure the cheap stuff would work but it was actually the vet that gave it and he said it was free of impurities and therefore safer. I did ask if he could give me some as well but he didn't want to break into his stash unnecessarily!
                                        McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Working...
                                        X