• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Miss Abby Kat -- Sold for $15,000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of Barrett's horses are sold to the KBs if they don't bring any bids. I know TBfriends has gotten quite a few from them from people who just went to buy the rejects after the sale and Tranquility Farm has too. They (TF) also go and ask for them to donate the in foals mares. Some do, some sell to the KB. If you really want this mare or want to see her safe get someone to bid on her for you or to follow her RIGHT from the sale ring if she doesn't meet reserve or gets no bids and make them an offer. The KBs generally (GENERALLY) don't pay more than $300-400 for them (and those are high if they think they might be able to flip them instead of ship them). If you have the money up front you might be able to get someone from a rescue who knows the players there to bid on her for you if she isn't going to a private buyer. And like someone said above you can try contacting the owner/agent and get her before the sale if they are selling out.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Originally posted by imissvixen View Post
      You guys are enablers...
      I can say that VB is for sure !!!!! LOL xoxoxo u VB :-))
      Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay, I will call the agent today. I think I am also going to try to track down her old trainer. She was at Golden Gate Fields. Maybe he will have some info. And I will check at Barretts about line of credit and other particulars.

My friends and people who know me don't hang around the Racing board but if for some reason you are lurking, my husband will not need to know where this horse came from if by some chance she shows up in our lives.

Comment

Okay, I will call the agent today. I think I am also going to try to track down her old trainer. She was at Golden Gate Fields. Maybe he will have some info. And I will check at Barretts about line of credit and other particulars.

My friends and people who know me don't hang around the Racing board but if for some reason you are lurking, my husband will not need to know where this horse came from if by some chance she shows up in our lives.
          I am wishing for a LOL icon with tears

I love the statement about paying more attention when things get you excited/interested...I can just picture God breathing a sigh of relief as I become more fluid and pliable (the older & stiffer my physical self gets)!!!

BTW I have a Dixie Brass broodie whose damsire is Relaunch (who is on the bottom of Miss Abby Kat's pedigree). She is an eye-candy mare who is a beautiful producer (AQHA circuit hunters w/previous owner, will have her first warmblood foal next month).
          http://www.selahwaysporthorses.com/

Comment

sometimes the universe just sends us little signs and we need to follow them. I know what you mean about feeling excited about something and needing to follow it through. good luck to you in getting this girl. so very brave of you to follow this through.

Comment

Some of you people need to get real. This is a sound, fit filly who is being sold as part of a dispersal. She won last out for a $12.5k tag and is being sold through one of the most exclusive auction houses in the country - she is NOT in danger of going to any kill buyer. In the racing business we sell at auction; it's just how we do things - not unlike art, antiques, etc.

Imisvixen, I followed your previous thread about this mare and I do encourage you to get her if you really like her. I also encourage you to attend the sale live if you are serious about her. See her in person and make sure you like her (you can see her at the barns the day before her sale date). They'll bring her out and you can see how she is to handle, etc. You can't have a full PPE done, but you can have xrays taken or have a vet look at any xrays that might be in the repository. Vet clinics have tables set up near the pavilion to make arrangements. And, besides, a TB auction is a lot of fun - if you can, you should definitely go.

Barrets has a $1k minimum bid on all horses. The owner may elect to put a reserve of their choosing on the horse and may or may not disclose that to potential buyers. The appropriate way to determine that is to simply ask the consignor if she is selling with reserve. If she sells beyond your price or if you are uncertain if she sold at all, it would be appropriate to follow her back to the consignors barn after she leaves the ring and politely inquire as to her status. If she is unsold, you may then make an offer. If she is sold, you might be able to connect with her new owners and let them know you're available for retirment, if/when needed.

But, again - this is a filly being sold as a race horse who just won her last race. She will sell well.

Comment

I haven't done anything irrational lately. It may be that I am due.
                Good enough!

I saw a horse at a yearling auction years ago, and have been totally obsessed ever since. Because... he whinnied at me and looked sad when I walked away from his stall. Seriously, I had to stalk the pedigreequery site until he was listed (he had no name at the time). Put him in my virtual stable immediately. But apparently he hasn't raced

If he ever comes up for sale, I'm in big, big trouble.
                "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Per SleepyFox:
                  Some of you people need to get real. This is a sound, fit filly who is being sold as part of a dispersal. She won last out for a $12.5k tag and is being sold through one of the most exclusive auction houses in the country - she is NOT in danger of going to any kill buyer. In the racing business we sell at auction; it's just how we do things - not unlike art, antiques, etc.

Maayybeee (start the old "Night Gallery" music here....and read in a Rod Serling-esque voice) Maybe she's not being drawn there for Miss Abby Kat at allllll....maayybeee Miss Abby Kat is just the lure, and the real purpose will be revealed...maybe when she gets there....maayybeee years later...Bom bom Baaaam!!!!
                  http://www.selahwaysporthorses.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyFox View Post

Imisvixen, I followed your previous thread about this mare and I do encourage you to get her if you really like her. I also encourage you to attend the sale live if you are serious about her. See her in person and make sure you like her (you can see her at the barns the day before her sale date). They'll bring her out and you can see how she is to handle, etc. You can't have a full PPE done, but you can have xrays taken or have a vet look at any xrays that might be in the repository. Vet clinics have tables set up near the pavilion to make arrangements. And, besides, a TB auction is a lot of fun - if you can, you should definitely go.

Barrets has a $1k minimum bid on all horses. The owner may elect to put a reserve of their choosing on the horse and may or may not disclose that to potential buyers. The appropriate way to determine that is to simply ask the consignor if she is selling with reserve. If she sells beyond your price or if you are uncertain if she sold at all, it would be appropriate to follow her back to the consignors barn after she leaves the ring and politely inquire as to her status. If she is unsold, you may then make an offer. If she is sold, you might be able to connect with her new owners and let them know you're available for retirment, if/when needed.

But, again - this is a filly being sold as a race horse who just won her last race. She will sell well.
                    Amen! SleepyFox said it much more tactfully and eloquently than I could have hoped to do.
                    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

hey now, only two people on this whole thread are being alarmist

The rest of us just like to enable irrationality.

"smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
                        hey now, only two people on this whole thread are being alarmist

The rest of us just like to enable irrationality.

I'm all for enabling irrationality.

Go get her, imissvixen.
                        Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the dose of reality. I am thinking about going to the sale. My family and kid are in CA and Southwest has tickets for $91 each way. What the hell.

If any COTHers are going to be there, let me know.

Comment

barretts auction is a blast!! been there a few times years ago and always find something i want to take home. the energy is great and people watching, so cal celebs and all......
                            i went with hunter trainers to find prospects and its an education of conformation following function.
                            have a great time, wish i could go too!
                            track trash
                            resources for recycled racehorses

Comment

We merged your two threads about this girl into one, so it's easier to follow your story with her. You can edit the thread title at any time (using the advanced edit feature) if you want to draw attention to a new development.

Good luck if you decide to hit the auction!
                              Mod 1

Comment

Hey now its a race stable dispersol..so there are several things in play.
                                Partners disolving? And some may well buy back a few horses or the trainer may buy some for his/her self.
                                They also may just let them go for what ever they bring its a total crap shot.
                                Yes Barretts is a top notch auction house but Please this isn't Saratoga or Keeneland Select so stop putting the fear of God in this woman.
                                Let her run w/ the wind. Sometime dreams do come true and you won't know unless you try.

At the very worst she can go see who bought her, drop off a business card w/ contact #'s and say if n' when shes done let me know.
                                ***Also a side note if you should not get her, and the new owner is nice you can have you name and number put on her papers...yes guys she can stating that in the eventuality mare comes up for sale please contact you. Remember Zitto did that and old stakes horse found his way back to him

Do not be negative, I just sat thru Fasig Tipton Timonium and stuff that should have sold didn't.
                                In a perfect world she would sell for what she runs for but it ain't even close to being perfect.
                                Go enjoy and please share the whole experiance w/ us!!!
                                I'm rooting for JINGLE BUMP what ever....
                                and PS my husband never knows from day to day how many we actually own.
                                Bay horses blue rugs...still thinks my WB gelding is in field..sold the toad 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator 1
                                  Good luck if you decide to hit the auction!
                                  Mod 1

Mod 1 rocks hard core!!!
                                  Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse & Jennifer Oliver Equine Insurance Specialist

Comment

This is SSSS0000000 exciting! I love when our hearts are in charge. I have never had a single regret when I felt this way about an animal, a major purchase, or hey, even a man. There is a reason why these things hit us so deeply....they are meant to be. Go get your filly!
                                    Kelly, Ballingard Grove
                                    If you tell the truth, then you don't have to remember anything. Mark Twain

Comment

Good luck if you decide to go!

I have been obsessed with a horse that belonged to a trainer in a barn I groomed in 6 years ago at the Fair Grounds. I'm talking to the point of having dreams about him. I followed him in my Virtual Stable since 2002-03 winter. Well, he won 3 in a row over the summer, and coincidentally I started working for the racing commission at the Fair Grounds where he would be running this winter. I saw the trainer on Thanksgiving and asked him about the horse(who hadn't run since August). Well, he tells me the horse is entered that Sunday. I asked him what he was going to do with him after he's done racing, and he tells me that he's mine when they are done with him(which will be by the end of the meet)!!!! He also tells me that he tried to give the horse away in August, but the people never showed up to pick him up so they kept training him. He just turned 11 and ran 3rd Nov 30 and 2nd Dec 31, so we'll see when he runs next. He is gorgeous, calm, and I cannot wait to get him after I've been following him so long!
                                      Brandi
                                      "A horseman or horsewoman must have only one thing (and each in his own way): a passionate, obsessive love for the horse. Nothing more." George H. Morris

Comment

I don't think the mare is in danger. I just think sometimes we all need to follow a feeling. I have a 20 year old tb grazing in my back field that I felt compelled to ship cross country forever ago. I needed a huge tb gelding who was wild...not! the way things turned out taking that leap was one of the best things I have ever done. sometimes you just have to go for it. jmo

Comment

She probably is not in danger BUT the market is in the crapper. Go back to the last mixed sale at Barretts and Ocala and see the prices that very very nice mares in foal did not bring. Most weanlings were not even bringing their stud fee when a year ago they'd have brought several times it.

We also don't know if she is sound and CAN race again. So far her record isn't exactly sterling. Her pedigree is nice but Hold Your Tiger (one of my favs) has been sent to France which means he's box office poison now for commercial breeders. So don't just ASSUME that she is safe, let someone follow their heart and be SURE she is safe.

As I said there are several KBs that work out of Barrett's mixed sales every year.

OP I hope you can go and see her and talk to the old/new owners and get your name on her papers. She may indeed need a safety net someday even if she sells well on that day.
                                          Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Working...
                                          X