• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Betting at the Virginia Gold Cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betting at the Virginia Gold Cup

I may have missed something, but did stroll down a page or two. Would've thought this would have been old news by now.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ginia-gold-cup

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I may have missed something, but did stroll down a page or two. Would've thought this would have been old news by now.
    It was cited in the thread on the demise of The Steeplechase Times but now that you brought it up I hope to goodness the organizers pimp, hype, push, promote, and hammer away this new opportunity. If they don't promote it they will have squandered a great opportunity to distinguish this race date from almost every other.

It's no secret that the GC brings in a huge contingent of 20-something fans from DC who try to make this their First Saturday in May "Derby". These are smartphone adept and wagering hungry folks. Not having to do a classic wagering scenario (line up for the window) for all wagers and instead using mobile devices goes along way.

I wonder what the takeout will be. In 2009 the one year the New Jersey Far Hills races had wagering (done through Woodbine) it was going to be steep:

Takeout for win-place-show bets will be 16.8 percent. Takeout on exactas and one daily double linking the first two races will be 24.8 percent, and takeout on trifectas will be 27.8 percent.
    However the wagering never got out of the gate and was nixed just days before the fall race.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, to be honest, the fact that the "Gold Cup" manages to maintain a sales office in old-town Warrenton - which they have for many years - has to mean that they're not exactly hurting for funds.

But betting will certainly up that ante.

Comment

A bit more on the wager news in depth:

Gold Cup will choose from between two tote companies, EZ Horseplay and United Tote.

EZ Horseplay is the advanced deposit wagering division of Colonial Downs, Virginia's only pari-mutuel track. EZ Horseplay uses a secure, closed-loop Internet-based system accessed by individually-assigned account number.

Open only to Virginia residents, players can open an account on a self-service kiosk located in restaurants and clubs around the state, including the Blackthorne Inn in Upperville.

Once registered, players can access their account via telephone, personal computer, wireless device or terminal.

EZ Horseplay customers can watch races from all over the world on their personal computers or wireless devices, or at Horseplay terminals, as well as receive payout on winning bets either in cash at terminals or have it placed directly on Horseplay accounts.
        What had been more lose in the past won't be allowed now.

Every official, every horseman, even every groom, must be licensed by the VRC [Virginia Racing Commission]. The stable area, Allison added, previously loosely guarded and open to friends and families of owners, will be enclosed and rigorously secure. “Any possible misconduct has to be protected against,” he said.

Maryland's Fair Hill is currently the only American jump meet with pari-mutuel wagering. Maryland licensing rules are different than Virginia's.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
          ... has to mean that they're not exactly hurting for funds.
          On that debt note.

I was very surprised to read in the Dec 2012 Steeplechase Times that the debt for the (ill fated) deal with NBC Universal Sports [for airing the Steeplechase Championship in 1999] is still being paid off. They aired live the Far Hills and Int'l Gold Cup meet just the one time. It was supposed to be a multi year broadcast deal but the costs for the one year killed it.

Further, because of that debt burden the NSA and could not offer streaming video of subsequent races. If Great Meadow had lots of extra funds I'm sure they would've explored streaming video on their own.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Glimmerglass View Post
            On that debt note.

I was very surprised to read in the Dec 2012 Steeplechase Times that the debt for the (ill fated) deal with NBC Universal Sports [for airing the Steeplechase Championship in 1999] is still being paid off. They aired live the Far Hills and Int'l Gold Cup meet just the one time. It was supposed to be a multi year broadcast deal but the costs for the one year killed it.

Further, because of that debt burden the NSA and could not offer streaming video of subsequent races. If Great Meadow had lots of extra funds I'm sure they would've explored streaming video on their own.
            Well then maybe they shouldn't be paying rent for a Warrenton Main Street front office, as they have been for many years. I'm sure - unless they're getting some sort of serious rent break from Warrenton township or Fauquier County - that that Main Street office has to be costing them a bundle.

And for what? Selling t-shirts, sweatshirts, & tickets?

Comment

Is there a problem with the race meet having its own office??!
              I believe the former race chair, my long-time boss, owns the space.
              Furthermore, GREAT MEADOW and GOLD CUP are two distinct things. Great Meadow is a place. Gold Cup is an event. How come so surprised they have separate digs?
              Every single race meet in the nation has its own office space, if not notional at someone's home office or whatever. Iroquois, for one, most certainly does (in Tennessee); Percy Warner Park, the place the event is held, also has its own office.
              * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
                Is there a problem with the race meet having its own office??!
                I believe the former race chair, my long-time boss, owns the space.
                Furthermore, GREAT MEADOW and GOLD CUP are two distinct things. Great Meadow is a place. Gold Cup is an event. How come so surprised they have separate digs?
                Every single race meet in the nation has its own office space, if not notional at someone's home office or whatever. Iroquois, for one, most certainly does (in Tennessee); Percy Warner Park, the place the event is held, also has its own office.
                Wow - calm down dear. I - & I'm sure many others - had no idea that the "former race chair" actually OWNS that retail space & thus can do with it what he likes.

I was just saying that LEASING a 365-day-per-year office on Main Street for one event seemed like a waste of funds for just selling tickets & Gold Cup apparel. But if the Gold Cup doesn't need those funds for the rest of their venue, all the more power to them.

Comment

I'm not sure, but he owns a ton of real estate in old town. I was assuming he did.
                  The Gold Cup, and other race meets, don't exist to make money. They exist to make money for their charity.
                  Of course if they rent the space for $xxx per year, that money could go to their charity, too. Maybe they can use office space at your house to save the dough. (wink)
                  * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
                    I'm not sure, but he owns a ton of real estate in old town. I was assuming he did.
                    The Gold Cup, and other race meets, don't exist to make money. They exist to make money for their charity.
                    Of course if they rent the space for $xxx per year, that money could go to their charity, too. Maybe they can use office space at your house to save the dough. (wink)
                    Oh - so now you're "not sure"? And am not interested in hosting a Gold Cup office myself, but your lovely place looks fancy enough for them. Plus, you seem to be a real fan; maybe you should offer to save them some money for their charity. A little too snooty a crowd for me & my little place - lol! I think the Gold Cup gets enough publicity without the Main Street office/store. Frankly, they'd probably save a lot of dough with having a private office somewhere. But then, they "own" that office on Main Street. . . .

Comment

Um. I really have no idea what the issue is. I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm merely trying to defend a private entity for having a private office wherever they see fit.
                      I write for the local newspaper (its my story quoted above), covering local horse sports for 25 years. My mom was Gold Cup ED for years, working in the race meet's other Main Street office.
                      Needless to say, I have an personal attachment here.
                      I'm so sorry you think of steeplechasing as snooty. It's actually the exact opposite.
                      I'd love to take you some time -- I get press passes. Come with me - they start March 3.
                      The meets' publicity does not emanate from the old town office - that is handled by a private firm in Middleburg. The Gold Cup office handles ticket sales, race organization, volunteer coordination, vendors, tents, etc. It's a huge year round job.
                      Also, the benefits/$$ from pari-mutuel takeout does not go to the race office; it goes to the horsemen in the form of increased purses.

Comment

• Original Poster

No worries. Not trying to start a fight either. And I do know who you are. It's just that every time I'm in Warrenton, day or night, that "Gold Cup" shop is closed & it just seems like such a waste of cash.

And I don't think of steeplechasing itself as "snooty", just the "Gold Cup".

Comment

HR - just go to the end of your driveway and bang some pots and pans. That usually scares off the kooks.

For the record - that entity shares space with another entity, and the "office space on Main Street" is a tiny hole in the wall filled with some damn fine people. People who work pretty hard to bring us very fine races - races that are a logistical nightmare. Frankly, I don't know how they do it. But they do - every time. Very well. When they're closed it's because there is no reason to keep people in there, paying them, when there is no work to be done. But when it's time - that tiny office is as busy as a beehive.

Someone's been hittin' the sauce again, methinks.

I'm thrilled about wagering and I can't wait to place my bets.
                          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Just curious, but has there been any activity thus far to promote the Gold Cup in light of the wagering aspect? Their twitter account isn't really adding value as one would expect.

Marketing, promotion and building up social media shouldn't occur just 30-days out.

Comment

HR - you did a nice article on the subject. Here is hoping that all the parties who benefit from it see a huge boost!

It's there, folks, use those machines and have a good time.

Equibase even has the Morning Line odds set up for entire day's card!

Comment

HR - you did a nice article on the subject. Here is hoping that all the parties who benefit from it see a huge boost!

It's there, folks, use those machines and have a good time.

Equibase even has the Morning Line odds set up for entire day's card!

Comment

If I were there and betting, I'd put some money on Alfa Beat. Irv Naylor's done very well bringing second class Irish horses to the US and winning with them. Of course timber is very different from hurdles, but horse has ACTUALLY won something this year--the Grand National, and looks to have learned timber racing since he was imported. GN was only two weeks ago, though, so he might not have a lot in the tank for the Gold Cup.

Second choice would be Moonsox.

But I LOVE Justpourit's pedigree. He is not much of a racehorse, though.
                                  "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                  Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

(pdf) VA Gold Cup wagering terminal screen

Comment

Entries - Virginia Gold Cup 2013 Day

88th Virginia Gold Cup
                                      Great Meadow, The Plains

10 a.m. - Gates open
                                      11:30 a.m. - Terrier race exhibition
                                      12:30 p.m. - Tailgate contest
                                      12:45 p.m. - Junior Field Master Chase
                                      1:30 p.m. - The Infinitive Steeplethon
                                      2:10 p.m. - The BMW Chase
                                      2:50 p.m. - The M.C. Dean Chase
                                      3:30 p.m. - The Hogan Lovells Cup
                                      4:10 p.m. - The Virginia Gold Cup Timber Stakes
                                      4:50 p.m. - The United Airlines Maiden Claiming Hurdle

6:24 p.m. - The Kentucky Derby Post Time (live over PA, closed circuit TV and Jumbotrons)
                                      6:45 p.m. - Pari-mutuel betting stations close
                                      7 p.m. - Gates close

Comment

Justpourit it out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X