• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lost In The Fog: Feb 2002 - Sep 2006; godspeed to you!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost In The Fog: Feb 2002 - Sep 2006; godspeed to you!

Sometimes horses just have the freaky nack of being able to apply blazing speed, Lost In the Fog is one of those horses. Setting a track record in your 2nd start (almost setting one in your first) and almost setting the World Record? That is wicked

Not sure if he is good for seven furlongs or more, they won't stretch him out for some time, but he does have amazing sprint potential

San Fran Chronicle 1/1/05

Lost in the Fog not lost at all as 2004's top speedster

Larry Stumes

Saturday, January 1, 2005

It's official: Lost in the Fog was the fastest 2-year-old in the nation in 2004.

The Golden Gate Fields-based colt earned a Beyer Speed Figure of 109 for his 14 3/4-length victory in Sunday's Arizona Juvenile at Turf Paradise as he ran 6 1/2 furlongs in a track-record 1:13.55 and missed the world record by . 31 of a second.

"Speed figures don't lie,'' trainer Greg Gilchrist said with a laugh. "How could you say you weren't happy and proud about something like that? It's a pretty neat thing to have, considering all the horses out there.''

The next-best Beyer by a 2-year-old was the 107 recorded by Declan's Moon in the Del Mar Futurity on Sept. 8. Declan's Moon, unbeaten in four starts, likely will win the Eclipse Award as the nation's outstanding 2-year-old after his victory in the Hollywood Futurity over Breeders' Cup Juvenile winner Wilko.

Lost in the Fog also is unbeaten, having won his debut by 7 1/2 lengths on a muddy surface at GGF on Nov. 14 in :56.84 for 5 furlongs -- missing the track record by .62 of a second. He earned a 102 Beyer for that race, giving him two of the year's top 10.

"If it were a fast track, he probably would have broken the track record, '' Gilchrist said. "You're thinking, 'That can't be; there is something wrong with the clock.' At Turf Paradise, the track wasn't that fast, and you're thinking, 'Could a clock be off twice in a row?' Even knowing as much about him as I know, it's still amazing what he does and the times he does it in.''

Harry J. Aleo, an 85-year-old San Francisco native who still works at Twin Peaks Realty after 57 years there, bought Lost in the Fog privately in March after bidding on him in a Florida auction in which he went unsold. Aleo wouldn't say what he paid, although the colt went for $48,000 at a yearling sale in 2003, and he wouldn't say how much he's been offered for a horse that many would expect to be a Kentucky Derby candidate.

"It's too far ahead even to think about that stuff,'' Aleo said. "If I sold the horse and took all of this tons of money, I don't have a racehorse. I'm 85 years old, and I've been trying to get a great horse for 20 years. If I get all that money, I'd pay half in taxes and then I'd be out looking for another horse.''

Though most people in Gilchrist and Aleo's situation would be looking to run Lost in the Fog longer distances in anticipation of the 1 1/4-mile Kentucky Derby, they're actually planning to shorten him to 6 furlongs for the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Dash on Jan. 29 at Gulfstream Park.

"Probably, under normal circumstances, I would be looking to move this horse on to a route, if not next time, then the time after,'' Gilchrist said. "But when there is a race offered that is restricted to Florida-breds and California-breds for $250,000, you have to look at that race. A week after it is the Hutcheson Stakes going 7 1/2 furlongs. It's a Grade 2 and it's only $150,000 -- you tell me which is the tougher race. This is still a business. If we would handle ourselves well in Florida, then I'm pretty sure we'll stretch out the horse after that.''
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Sep. 18, 2006, 12:55 PM. Reason: updated status

This horse is very interesting, he's already had the tag 'freak' applied by several writers. Having been burned so many times by super-hot two-year olds over the past XX years (read: manylol ) who don't amount to a hill of beans the following spring, I hesitate to get excited about any of the top two-year-olds this year. Ok make that three-year-olds now. I think the '04 Belmont was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me. However, Lost In The Fog has piqued my interest, no doubt, and I look forward to the Sunshine Millions.

Comment

• Original Poster

another article ..

DFW Star-Telegram: 1/7/05 "Clearly, 'Fog' on fast track, but to where, exactly?"

excerpt:

And then last month, Lost In The Fog turned in a jaw-dropping performance at Turf Paradise. He disputed a rapid pace, dueling through an opening half-mile in 43.78 seconds, and then drew clear to win the Arizona Juvenile Stakes by nearly 15 lengths, stopping the teletimer at 1:13.55 after 6 1/2 furlongs.

Young horses can't move that fast -- unless they're riding in the back of a van. The clocking, which lowered the track record of 1:13.80 set by the speedy G. Malleah in 1994, was so other-worldly that at least one observer suspected a typographical mistake as he reviewed charts of the day's races. But there was no mistake. The other 6 1/2-furlong races that day, for older horses, were run in 1:17.71 and 1:18.34.

For a horse to win so easily is, of course, very rare, and for a 2-year-old to set a track record at a commonly run distance is nothing less than extraordinary. Turf Paradise isn't the major leagues, but its teletimer insists Lost In The Fog could be a major league racehorse.

[snip]

But Gilchrist, noting that the road to the Triple Crown can exact a heavy toll, said he's not going to rush the colt's development in an effort to get him to the Kentucky Derby. The Preakness, he said, is a more likely objective. Basically, he said, he's going to allow Lost In The Fog to develop at his own pace, to define himself in his own fashion. And in that defining lies much intrigue

Comment

• Original Poster

.. in case you wondered he's still fast

The Blood-Horse 1/18/05 "Talking about the speed of this crop of 3-year-olds, the aforementioned Lost in the Fog, who has run freakishly fast times in both his starts, worked five furlongs last Saturday [1/15/05] in a scorching :57 4/5 over a dead strip at Golden Gate. The next fastest work of the 42 at that distance was 1:00 4/5."

Wow - a 3 second gap in work out times at the same distance!

Comment

• Original Poster

NBC Sports is telecasting Saturday's eight-race Sunshine Million series and Lost In The Fog is there to take his lion's share of the $250,000 loot

At six-furlongs it should suit him fine .. I just hope that California speed comes with him. It should be great to watch!

Unbeaten Lost in the Fog searches for third win in Ocala Stud Dash
          Thoroughbred Times
          1/25/2005

After scoring emphatic victories at Turf Paradise and Golden Gate Fields in the first two starts of his career, Lost in the Fog will start on the other side of the country on Saturday at Gulfstream Park in the $250,000 Ocala Stud Dash for three-year-olds on the Sunshine Millions program.

[snip]

Lost in the Fog will take on nine rivals in the six-furlong Ocala Stud Dash, including three-time stakes winner B. B. Best.

A Florida-bred son of Yes It’s True, B. B. Best cuts back to one turn after finishing fourth to Greater Good in the 1 1/16-mile Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (G2) on November 27 at Churchill Downs. B. B. Best won the Dr. Fager division of the Florida Stallion Stakes at six furlongs on August 14 at Calder Race Course. He also took the In Reality division of the Florida Stallion Stakes at 1 1/16 miles on October 23 at Calder.

[snip]

All starters carry 120 pounds.

The field, in post-position order, with (sire), jockey, weight, and trainer:

1. Lucky Frolic (Carson City), Earlie Fires, Milton Wolfson;
          2. Kruel Intention (Gold Case), Joe Bravo, Arthur Silvera;
          3. B. B. Best (Yes It’s True), Eddie Castro, Eddie Plesa Jr.;
          4. Lost in the Fog (Lost Soldier), Russell Baze, Greg Gilchrist;
          5. Packy (Petersburg), Gary Boulanger, Mark Glatt;
          6. Bushwacker (Outflanker), Rafael Bejarano, Bill Currin;
          a-7. Seize the Day (Montbrook), Patrick Valenzuela, Kristin Mulhall;
          a-8. Run Thruthe Sun (Memo [Chi]), Jon Court, Peter Eurton;
          9. Santana Strings (Wheaton), John Velazquez, Steve Asmussen; and
          10. Primitive Man (Outflanker), Jorge Chavez, Mike Mitchell.

a-coupled entry

Comment

Glimmerglass called it! Lost in the Fog won commandingly! I had the race on while working but stopped to watch him win. And he's just three??

Comment

Why, I know the man that owned Lost In The Fog as a yearling! He and one of his business partners purchased him at the OBS Aug. '03 yearling sale! Just found that out today from the woman that used to work for him and who partners on broodmares with him. Pretty cool!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FLAbreds:
                Why, I know the man that owned Lost In The Fog as a yearling! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FLABreds now that is wicked cool

`Lost in Fog' again shows sprint talent

By Ed Gray FL Sun-Sentinel newspaper
                1/30/05

HALLANDALE BEACH · As Lost In the Fog barreled down the stretch on his way to finishing off the most impressive performance on Saturday's Sunshine Millions program, most owners and trainers would have been overcome with Kentucky Derby fever.

Although Lost In the Fog distinguished himself as one of the country's brightest 3-year-old prospects with a 4 1/2-length victory in the $250,000 Dash, owner Harry Aleo and trainer Greg Gilchrist were hardly making plans for the first Saturday in May in the Gulfstream Park winner's circle.

"My thought right now is it's early to be thinking about stretching him out," said the 85-year-old Aleo, whose 3-5 favorite remained undefeated in three starts with a dominating front-running victory in the 6-furlong Dash. "I don't think either of us [is] thinking of Derby."

Lost In the Fog's quality certain is not an issue, particularly after his performance under Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze, but his ability to carry his dazzling speed beyond sprint distances is still in question.

"I'll sit down and talk with Mr. Aleo as far as stretching him out in some of the bigger races," said Gilchrist, whose stable is based in Northern California. "There is a race called the Swale here going seven-eighths of a mile [March 5], if we decide not to go farther."

Lost in the Fog, who has captured his three starts by a combined 26 lengths, demonstrated a fondness for the Gulfstream racing strip Saturday. The son of Lost Soldier, who previously had been victorious at Golden Gate Fields and Turf Paradise, drew away in 1:09.96.

Dismissing nine opponents bred in Florida or California, Lost In the Fog handled his first cross-country trip with professionalism.

"Usually our tracks on the West Coast are harder and faster than they are on the East Coast. It's always in the back of your mind: Do I have my horse fit enough?" Gilchrist said. "When they turned for home, I knew I had [a fit horse]."

Comment

Wait a minute. His owner is Harry Aleo? And he's 85? As in 85 years old? Did you LOOK at his picture (link #3 above)?

That is one impressive-looking man.

Oh, and the horse ain't bad-looking either. ;-)
                  "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

• Original Poster

Hitch, indeed that man is 85 yrs old .. the secret must be either selling real estate or being around horses. I think the latter

Out of the Blue, It's Lost in the Fog

By Andrew Beyer
                    Tuesday, February 1, 2005
                    Washington Post - section D1

HALLANDALE, Fla.

Before he appeared Saturday at Gulfstream Park, Lost in the Fog had never competed at a top-class track nor defeated a horse of any consequence. Yet he was already the most talked-about and coveted 3-year-old in America. "He's grabbed more headlines than Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston," the Daily Racing Form wrote.

Nothing excites the racing world like a youngster with enough raw talent to conceivably develop into a Kentucky Derby winner. And nothing stirs people in the business more than the possibility of buying such a prospect before he has realized his potential.

Lost in the Fog hardly possesses textbook credentials. But if Funny Cide could emerge from New York-bred competition to win the 2003 Derby, and Smarty Jones could go from Philadelphia Park to win the Derby in 2004, why can't a modestly bred colt from Golden Gate Fields do it in '05? Lost in the Fog made his racing debut at the northern California track in November and won a sensationally fast maiden race by 7 1/2 lengths. The next month he shipped to Turf Paradise in Arizona, where he won a minor stakes by 14 lengths, smashing a track record and earning a Beyer Speed Figure of 109 -- the best by any 2-year-old in America in 2004. Owner Harry Aleo's telephone started ringing with offers.

Aleo has been a racing fan since the era of Seabiscuit and a thoroughbred owner for 25 years. He got involved in the sport after reading an article titled, "How to Make Money When Your Horse Loses," and he understands the pragmatic side of horse ownership. So when he received offers as high as $2 million for his still untested colt, he knew what his most rational course of action would be. Even his trainer, Greg Gilchrist, advised him to sell. Aleo said no.

Instead, he and Gilchrist brought Lost in the Fog to Gulfstream for the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Dash, where he would face serious competition for the first time. One of his rivals was Bushwacker, a fast front-runner who had finished within two lengths of the nation's champion 2-year-old, Declan's Moon. It is easy for speedsters such as Lost in the Fog to look impressive dominating lesser rivals, but against other fast horses, Lost in the Fog could easily be drubbed and devalued. Aleo understood this. "This is the one we've got to win," the owner said before Saturday's race.

The speed horses came flying out of the gate in the Dash, and Lost in the Fog found himself abreast of Bushwacker and another lightning-fast front-runner from California. After they battled for a quarter of a mile, Lost in the Fog proceeded to run his rivals into the ground. He cruised away from the field (the demoralized Bushwacker struggled home eighth) and won by 4 1/2 lengths, running six furlongs in 1 minute 9.96 seconds. He's for real.

But a real what? Is he is a one-dimensional sprinter or a horse, like Funny Cide or Smarty Jones, who can carry his speed a classic distance? Gilchrist isn't sure. All he knows is that this colt has exceptional talent. He was convinced of it when he encouraged Aleo to buy the colt for $195,000 despite his modest pedigree. (His sire, Lost Soldier, is a well-bred horse of moderate accomplishments who stands at stud for a $7,500 fee.) The trainer betrayed his conservative nature with his effusive assessment of Lost in the Fog. Months before the colt ever ran, he brought Golden Gate's Hall of Fame jockey, Russell Baze, to his stall and said: "I want you to remember this horse. You're going to be on him."

But Gilchrist was thinking about having a fast horse, a productive horse, not necessarily a Derby horse, and now he is at a crossroads. The trainer has to decide whether to put Lost in the Fog on the fast track to the Kentucky Derby, knowing that the colt is not ideally bred for the classics; Lost Soldier's best distance was one mile. Gilchrist does believe, at least, that Lost in the Fog could learn to relax at longer distances instead of being the tearaway speed horse that he has been in his sprint victories.

Still, if it were his decision, he'd take the money and let somebody else take the chance that Lost in the Fog will be more than a sprinter. "If it had been my call," the trainer said frankly, "he'd be running for somebody else."

But it is the owner's call, and the owner is a man of firm opinions. Aleo has operated for 57 years out of the same storefront real-estate office in a San Francisco neighborhood that has become a bastion of liberalism. In Aleo's window is a sign that reads: "This is an island of traditional values in a sea of loony liberals."

Nobody is going to tell Harry Aleo what to do with a horse. "People keep calling me, and making me offers, and calling me back, but this horse is not for sale," he said. "I couldn't buy this kind of excitement and adventure for any price.

"I'm 85 years old. What am I going to do with more money? I'd just buy more horses anyway."

Large photo of Lost In The Fog with Russell Baze up

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glimmerglass:

_Out of the Blue, It's Lost in the Fog_

By Andrew Beyer
                      Tuesday, February 1, 2005
                      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Jan31.html

HALLANDALE, Fla.
                      {snip}

(His sire, Lost Soldier, is a well-bred horse of moderate accomplishments who stands at stud for a $7,500 fee.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, make that STOOD at stud for a $7,500 fee. I would guess it's probably a "tiny" bit higher now?!?

I'm with Lord Helpus on this one. I too have had my heart broken by promising youngsters, only the straw that broke my back was FuPeg. He had everything going for him. I'm still convinced that as soon as he won the Derby, he was worth SO MUCH MONEY that all parties involved decided not to risk running him all out again. Just my theory, but it makes sense, doesn't it?
                      "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

Have you folks looked at his pedigree?

Fast as he is, there is NO Mr. Prospector. That can't help but benefit the breed when he goes to stud.

Let us hope he is successful with his progeny.
                        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Original Poster

Exceptionally odd - his connections have decided to NOT nominate Lost In the Fog for the Triple Crown chase, despite it costing just $600!

I find that to be just weird!

If they stretch him out and he puts in another killer performance and they do decide to go to the Derby with him (before March 26) it will cost $6,000.

Maybe that $5,400 difference is the price Harry and Greg want to pay to ensure less inquires about him going to Kentucky?

Comment

• Original Poster

A Derby start is extremely unlikely and taking the $2 million offer for him won't happen either.

Dallas F-W Star-Telegram 2/11/05 "Owner says Derby not worth risk"

excerpts:

Lost In The Fog's trainer, Greg Gilchrist, and the colt's 85-year-old maverick owner, Harry Aleo, seem immune to the febrile madness that often overtakes owners and trainers this time of year.

"The road to the [Kentucky] Derby would be hard on him, given the schedule we'd have to follow," Gilchrist said.

<snip>

"The Triple Crown can knock the hell out of a horse, and I'm not sure it's worth it," Aleo said bluntly.

<snip>

And the Preakness might be a possibility for the fleet colt, Aleo said, but the Derby remains very doubtful.

"Some people just have too much money, and, when they see something they want, they think they can buy it," Aleo said. "But this horse isn't for sale. I'm in the racing business, not the selling business. Racing, that's the excitement for me."

Moreover, while fully recognizing the risks, Aleo said he won't cash in "like the Smarty Jones people" and retire Lost In The Fog prematurely. The owner said he intends to give Lost In The Fog an opportunity to "become a great racehorse," if that's indeed his destiny, and will race the colt as long as he's healthy and can perform at a high level.

Comment

I think Harry Aleo has just become my new hero!

As much as I'd like to see Lost in the Fog in the hunt for the TC sounds like his connections are doing what's best for the horse, and that's music to my ears.

Comment

I agree with you FLAbreds, Mr. Aleo seems very concerned for the welfare of the horse. He's not letting the idea of more money get in the way!
                                View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Comment

I don't know it's so odd to people that Lost in the Fog wasn't nominated to the Triple Crown.

The $600 early-bird noms. for the Triple Crown happened before Lost in the Fog had really popped on the scene. They had no reason to believe he would be a big star.

That said though, I hate how people are saying "Lost in the Fog is off the Derby trail". News flash: Lost in the Fog was never *on* the Derby trail. His owner and trainer are making an intelligent move here. They're going to bring the horse along nice and easy, and if they decide to stretch him out, they can do it in whatever time-frame they'd like to. Also, Lost in the Fog doesn't exactly have a routers pedigree [though not every Derby winner does], and so far has shown no reason to think he *can* get the classic distances.

There's nothing wrong with being a champion sprinter. Champali, my favorite, was a good little sprinter, and it suited him and his connections just peachy keen.

vineyridge: what does his lack of Mr. Prospector have to do with... anything?
                                  ------------------------
                                  I'll Call You Corey
                                  Model City Hammer
                                  Colihan Colin

Comment

• Original Poster

LA Times 2/19/05"Money Talks, but He's Not Listening"

excerpts

Every time Harry Aleo's phone rings in San Francisco, he thinks it will be another offer to buy Lost In The Fog, who could be the fastest horse never to run in the Kentucky Derby.

"There are too many people out there with too much money," Aleo said. "I wish they wouldn't call. The horse is not for sale."

"I don't have any great aspirations to win the Derby," Aleo said. "There's usually about 20 horses that run, and the chances are pretty good that some of them will get hurt."

[snip]

"A guy like Pletcher, if something happens to one of his horses, he moves on to the next one," Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

Comment

Harry Aleo - My nominee for Horseman of the Year, hands down. Just imagine what another owner would be doing w/ this horse...

I also agree w/ Vineyridge re the pedigree.

BUT I suspect this horse is a genuine fast sprinter. Period. In other words, not a TC horse.

And as to FuPeg... He was actually the last TB I fell in loff with! My take on him is that he was, temperamentally, a complete throwback (via Danzig) to the Fair Play temperament, albeit of course considerably watered down. That horse was only ever going to come to the party if he dadgum well FELT like it, and he did nothing but goof around in the Belmont. Could he have won it? Probably. But the fact that he didn't BOTHER TRYING is actually what I like about that horse...
                                      "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Working...
                                      X