• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

2013 Kentucky Derby 139th Edition: congrats to Orb (Shug, Joel, Phipps/Janney)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Kenny McPeek sounds confident his girl - Pure Fun - will win tomorrow in the Grade 3 $200k Coolmore Lexington Stakes against the boys:

“I do think we’ll win,” said Ken McPeek, trainer of Pure Fun. “She really needed her last race,” a third-place finish as the odds-on favorite four weeks ago in the Bourbonette Oaks at Turfway Park. “And she really needs this race if we want to be a threat in the Kentucky Oaks. I know this is a bit unconventional, but she’s doing great, and we’re really looking forward to trying this.”

Comment

• Original Poster

Absolutely asinine rules that Churchill Downs looks to impose just for the Kentucky Derby and Oaks - what a way to tick off patrons:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/visit/security-information

Banned Items on Kentucky Derby and Oaks Days
      (with changes and adjustments from 2012 in ALL CAPS)

CAMCORDERS
      CAMERAS WITH DETACHABLE LENSES
      CAMERAS WITH LENSES MORE THAN SIX INCHES IN LENGTH
      TRIPODS
      PURSES LARGER THAN 12 INCHES IN ANY DIMENSION
      Seriously a camera with a lens that can be changed out (I have a Cannon EOS Rebel and switch out to a longer lens) poses what problems? Never had an issue at the Blue Grass Stakes, Arlington Million, Travers Stakes, Illinois Derby etc with bringing it in ... I'm not going to knock off Barbara Livingston's trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glimmerglass View Post
        Absolutely asinine rules that Churchill Downs looks to impose just for the Kentucky Derby and Oaks - what a way to tick off patrons:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/visit/security-information

Seriously a camera with a lens that can be changed out (I have a Cannon EOS Rebel and switch out to a longer lens) poses what problems? Never had an issue at the Blue Grass Stakes, Arlington Million, Travers Stakes, Illinois Derby etc with bringing it in ... I'm not going to knock off Barbara Livingston's trade.
        You usually *can* bring a DSLR + lenses. They've just upped security this year due to the events in Boston.
        "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by harvestmoon View Post
          You usually *can* bring a DSLR + lenses. They've just upped security this year due to the events in Boston.
          Fully understood as they've clearly carved this out for these two days only. My point is this has zero to do with security. Nothing. Nada. A camera poses no threat. For that I find hiding this move under the guise of security as just flat out wrong.

Comment

• Ah, okay, your Barbara Livingston comment is what threw me. Anyway, I agree, it's a bit absurd. I would be pretty ticked if I bought tickets and was unable to take photos. Maybe if enough people complain...
            "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Comment

• Well, considering how they're trying to control things, e.g. with this year's points system, and eliminating the Illinois Derby...

By the way, is it still the "Kentucky Derby by Yum Brands"?
              But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

• Original Poster

Video replay: 2013 $750,000 Grade 3 Illinois Derby

While Departing won't go to Churchill (and is only a maybe for the Preakness) he's the real deal with his effort.

I went to Hawthorne for the IL Derby today and personally was miffed that the #10 horse (Fordubai) wasn't taken down. Then again I had the trifecta, if he was DQ'd but the head-on replay clearly shows he interfered. CLEARLY he moved into the path of Siete de Oros (#12) who has bought for a mere $2,000 as a yearling at the Timonium sale in October 2011.

Video replay: 2013 $200k Grade 3 Coolmore Lexington Stakes (20-Derby points to winner)

Winning Cause, jumped up and won the Grade 3, $200,000 Lexington with a good inside trip under Julien Leparoux. It is possible the colt will go now to the Kentucky Derby - but Pletcher wasn’t about to immediately commit the colt to the May 4 race at Churchill Downs.
                The filly - Pure Fun - ended up with a dismal seventh-place and killed my wager. According to her trainer Kenny McPeek:

“I am still optimistic about going to the (Kentucky) Oaks (G1). She was blowing pretty hard coming back. She got a lot out of the race. The last two races have been tough in that she didn’t finish as well as we would have liked. I still believe we needed a race and I wanted to race her as opposed to working her. I think she will get more out of this. (Jockey) Rosie (Napravnik) said she had a clean trip but she just didn’t punch much late. (Pure Fun) was blowing pretty good.
                Keeneland attendance was 32,325 (Hawthorne, if I took a guess was maybe 8,000) and as an aside the Ken/Sarah Ramsey broke the record for the most wins by an owner (record was a tie of 12) and still are loaded for bear ... they almost certainly hold a record well above 15 by the end of the meet.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Glimmerglass;6950466]

The filly - Pure Fun - ended up with a dismal seventh-place and killed my wager.

I took Kenny McPeeks advice once and bet on one of his horses. Never again!
                  "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Toadie's mom View Post
                    I took Kenny McPeeks advice once and bet on one of his horses. Never again!
                    I have to say I should've stuck to my guns and ignored trainer hype.

Several potential starters breezed at Churchill Downs on Sunday morning

Verrazano, Normandy Invasion, along with Revolutionary ...

[Normandy Invasion] - “The horse is really sharp right now and we worked him only a half so that’s okay,” said trainer Chad Brown. He’s definitely gotten a lot sharper since exiting the Risen Star and I was real happy with what I saw today. He galloped out good, came back with his ears up, and wasn’t even blowing.”
                    Down at Payson Park in Florida (shipping up now for CD - there by Monday morning) Orb put in a very good work and got to graze in this picture after:

Orb (five furlongs in 1:02.20 according to trainer Shug McGaughey) worked in company with Puzzling, reportedly edging away near the wire while completing his final quarter in 23.80 before galloping out six furlongs in 1:14.80.

“I thought it was a great work. He just galloped along early, then finished up strong and galloped out well, which is what I wanted to see,” said McGaughey. “It was perfect.”

Comment

• Original Poster

Despite the loss of some high profile horses from being on the Derby trail - Violence and Shanghai Bobby - Todd Pletcher might break the all time record for most Derby starters at six. Winning Cause, the Coolmore Lexington Stakes victor is a maybe -

Winning Cause could become the sixth starter in the Derby for Pletcher, joining Verrazano, Revolutionary, Overanalyze, Palace Malice, and Charming Kitten. The record for most starters for a trainer in one Derby is five.
                      And while Bob Baffert was thought to having just one entry it might be several more instead - on top of Govenor Charlie:

At Santa Anita, trainer Bob Baffert said that both Den’s Legacy and Super Ninety Nine were scheduled to work at Santa Anita on Wednesday, and that their works would determine whether they fly to Kentucky the following day.

Baffert said that Code West and Power Broker, both of whom traveled to Churchill Downs late last week, are both scheduled to work there on Monday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glimmerglass View Post

I went to Hawthorne for the IL Derby today and personally was miffed that the #10 horse (Fordubai) wasn't taken down.
                        Wow, just watched the replay and I agree. Even on first viewing I thought he took two horses out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yet again Illinois has drama leading up the Derby - the same woes occurred last year - with being potentially unable to wager on the Kentucky Oaks or Derby: with the Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association blocking the simulcast and broadcast signal to Illinois as a "show of solidarity" between the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association and Churchill Downs horsemen.

Arlington Park is asking the Illinois Racing Board to permit it to vacate days if an insufficient number of horses are entered for the opening week of the meet, scheduled to start May 3.

Comment

• Original Poster

Baffert formally nixes a couple from consideration:

Bob Baffert on Tuesday told Churchill Downs’s publicity department that both Super Ninety Nine and Den’s Legacy, who had been ranked 18th and 20th, respectively, on the points list for the Derby will not be entered.

“Based on their recent form, we just didn’t feel they’d be competitive enough to win,” Baffert told Churchill’s publicity department. “They’re both good horses, but we’ll look for something else down the road.

“We realize there are some other horses on the bubble with the hope of running, and we wanted to get this information out as soon as possible to make sure they’d have every opportunity to run and prepare for a start in the Derby.”
                            His lone entry Govenor Charlie isn't exactly impressing anyone -

So, as of now, Govenor Charlie is looking at heading into the Derby with just one work since April 11 following a compromised training schedule, far from ideal for someone like Baffert, who is known for aggressively drilling his Derby horses.
                            Who get's into the Derby? Well without the two Baffert horses next up would be Charming Kitten (Pletcher) and Winning Cause (Pletcher). However the latter isn't going to be entered. Next would be Code West (Baffert) but once again isn't expected to be entered but instead point to the Belmont.

Comment

• Original Poster

Rosie Napravnik, who rides Mylute in the Kentucky Derby, tweeted this picture of her meeting his dam - Stage Stop as well as her current filly by Curlin.

Comment

• Original Poster

Update! Illinois bettors will be allowed to wager on Oaks & Derby - Arlington Park and the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association have agreed on a two-year contract.

Previously ,,,,
                                Originally posted by Glimmerglass View Post
                                Yet again Illinois has drama leading up the Derby - the same woes occurred last year - with being potentially unable to wager on the Kentucky Oaks or Derby: with the Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association blocking the simulcast and broadcast signal to Illinois as a "show of solidarity" between the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association and Churchill Downs horsemen.

Comment

• Original Poster

Interesting proposal.

Java's War, Blue Grass Stakes winner, might ship over to Ascot after the Kentucky Derby: From Bristnet - 4/24/13

"Java's War has been good since his win in the Blue Grass Stakes and there have been no problems but whether or not he goes to Royal Ascot would depend on how he is running and doing over the next several weeks," McPeek said.

"He ran an excellent race in the Blue Grass and he is a horse who certainly understands what he is supposed to do when he is out there. I would be a little bit concerned that the St James' Palace Stakes will be a little bit too short for him but the way the track is, it plays out a little further and brings stamina into play.

"I think he likes the synthetics but he has run well on everything we have put him on and his pedigree suggests turf. Mr Fipke (the owner) will ultimately decide where we run but I think it is a good option for him.

"He will definitely run in the Kentucky Derby next and his run behind Verrazano is obviously good form because he (Verrazano) is now favorite for the race. The Kentucky Derby is a different race though -- at a mile and a quarter -- anything can happen."

Comment

• Original Poster

One last chance to get into the big show - Saturday (Apr 27) $175,000 Derby Trial Stakes (G3) in the dark at Churchill Downs.

20-Derby points to the winner

$175,000 Derby Trial Stakes, Grade 3
                                    Race 10, off at apprx 10:42 p.m.; distance 1 mile

PP, Horse, Jockey, Trainer
                                    1. Officer Alex, R. Albarado, L. Whiting
                                    2. Ruler of Love, R. Napravnik, J. Scott
                                    3. Zee Bros, M. Smith, B. Baffert
                                    4. Forty Tales, J. Rosario, T. Pletcher
                                    5. Ruble, A. Garcia, I. Wilkes
                                    6. Capo Bastone, G. Gomez, T. Pletcher
                                    7. Tour Guide, M. Mena, D. Lukas
                                    8. G. T. Tabu, W. Martinez, S. Parbhoo
                                    9. Titletown Five, G. Stevens, D. Lukas

All horses will carry 118 pounds

Comment

• Original Poster

NBC & Churchill Nix $100k Derby DreamBet for 2013

Derby DreamBet promotion ends

After three years, “the Dream” has died a quiet death.

Churchill officials confirmed this week that the “Derby DreamBet,” prominently featured on the NBC Sports telecast of the Derby in each of the past three years, is no longer. Churchill co-sponsored the promotion with the NBC family of networks.

The online contest to earn a chance to make a $100,000 win wager was wildly received in its first year in 2010, when a Houston man named Glen Fullerton won $900,000 by placing his bet on Super Saver.

For the record, the two subsequent DreamBet wagers got progressively worse results when placed on Mucho Macho Man (third at 9-1 in 2011) and Alpha (12th at 19-1 in 2012).

Comment

• Original Poster

But where is Bob? Not likely at the Derby with any runners

Baffert all but ruled out both Code West and Govenor Charlie on Sunday morning.

Assuming both do not run in the 139th Derby, this will mark the first time Baffert, a three-time winner of the Derby, has not had Derby runners since consecutive years, 2007-08.

Baffert stopped short of absolutely declaring both from the Derby, but that seems a matter of formality.

Comment

• Dang, that means no Power Broker, either.

Comment

Working...
                                          X