• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best Steeplechase Experience - for spectators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Steeplechase Experience - for spectators

I grew up going to Aiken spring steeplechase, and the Tryon Hounds and Blockhouse. I still go to Blockhouse, Colonial Cup, and Carolina Cup every year.

Last year I went to Foxfield spring, and I'm toying with the idea of trying to attend one new meet every year.

What are the best places to go? Atlanta, Queens Cup, Stoneybrook, and Iroquois are all closest to me and seem like good options, but I'm interested in heading up toward VA/MD for a bigger roadtrip too.

If you could only pick one to attend, which one would it be and why??

I've only been to a fairly limited number of 'chases, but as a venue I think Montpelier is awesome. It is just a beautiful, beautiful place, and a very special one for anyone with an interest in either history or horses. It was once the home of both James Madison and Marion duPont Scott (Google her if you aren't familiar with her, she passed away in the 1980s and was a very big name in the 'chasing and flat racing and breeding worlds).

You can also visit Battleship's (first American horse to win the English Grand National) grave there.

http://www.montpelierraces.org/

http://www.montpelier.org/
    Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow.

Comment

There's always the Hunt Cup in Maryland.

Comment

• Original Poster

Marion DuPont Scott founded Springdale in Camden- I will definitely look into Montpelier! Sounds fascintating. Thank you!

Comment

IF you can head to the Iroquois it's not to be missed, but if you can also make it further north I'd go for the MD Hunt Cup or VA Gold Cup for the BIG experience. Any of the "big 4" in April in MD are a blast. Check nationalsteeplechase.com and marylandsteeplechasing.com for more info.

A spring day's racing is never misspent.

Comment

• Original Poster

What makes the Hunt Cup something I would pick over somewhere else on the list of meets?

Comment

Originally posted by evans36 View Post
              What makes the Hunt Cup something I would pick over somewhere else on the list of meets?
              It's larger than life. Biggest timber course of them all (nearly 5' solid timber), vibrant social atmosphere/tailgating, good viewing of the paddock and course. Just an incredible experience. These articles will give you an idea:
              http://voices.yahoo.com/the-maryland...570.html?cat=8
              http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...53/2/index.htm

I've been to almost all the big US steeplechase races, and a few in Ireland, but the Hunt Cup reigns supreme in my heart. It takes a major act of God for me to miss it.

Comment

I avoid VA GC like the plague. It is a really crappy viewing course, the old one was so much better. It is now a big drunkfest for 60,000 of your closest city friends. The people watching is second to none, but there are only a couple spots to really see the course. Montpelier and Middleburg would be my choices in VA
                Originally posted by The Saddle
                Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

If you're coming all the way from South Carolina, you should probably be aware that the Hunt Cup is the only race of the day, I believe--is that right?

That isn't at all to knock it as an event--it is legendary!--but I would want to know that going in, especially coming from so far away.
                  Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow.

Comment

Windsor1 beat me to it but Montpelier hands down is my favorite race; for many years I never missed it! It's because the setting is so so so lovely.

VA Gold Cup = zoo. Make that an overcrowded zoo. That said, it was a treat to see several of Saluter's wonderful consecutive wins over the years at Great Meadows, but it's not my favorite atmosphere.

MD Hunt Cup = epic race.

Comment

Some photos from last years Hunt cup to give you a sense of it.

http://www.vtablog.org/2011/05/dougl...-hunt-cup.html

Comment

Anything at Glenwood Park in Middleburg.
                        Iroquois at Nashville.
                        * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

The Maryland Hunt Cup is the third jewel in the unofficial "Maryland Hunt Triple," which includes My Lady's Manor (3 miles over timber fences) and the Maryland Grand National (4 miles over timber fences.) The races are run on the last three Saturdays in April.

Two horses have won all three races in the same year: Wincanton in 1942 & '46 and Jay Trump in '64.
                          Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Comment

I love going to Middleburg (Glenwood), MD Hunt Cup, and VGC/IGC. I've never had a problem seeing at VGC/IGC but I've always been up in the tower or behind the tower which has a great vantage point. I also find the day very interesting because you get to see different type of 'chasing, including hurdles, steeplethon, and big timber.

Middleburg just has a great atmosphere and a beautiful course that you can see everything from almost everywhere. Like VGC/IGC you also get a variety of racing in one day. Not to mention the locale to all the great Middleburg shopping!

As for Hunt Cup, it's just a legendary race. Epic to watch, and even more exciting when you walk the course. I'm actually about to launch a blog on the "Road to the Hunt Cup," as I currently take care of last year's winner and ride out two hunt cup contenders at another farm. Even if it's just a one race day, it's still an all day affair. If you decide to attend, let me know, I will definitely be there running a horse (if I'm not sent down to Foxfield to run horses).

As for Montpelier, if you want to go to watch racing, then it's not the place to go. I don't find that the course is that spectacular for race viewing. Not a fan of the course at all. While the history is there, the racing (other than the Noel Laing) is not very spectator friendly, IMO.

My hope is to make it up to Far Hills and Saratoga this Summer and Fall. I hear that both are amazing venues. Same with Iroquois.

Comment

Another vote for the Middleburg Spring Races. Glenwood park offers great views from almost any angle, though the Reserved Enclosure is the way to go. Six races, fun vendors and a great crowd.

Middleburg itself is a charming town with lots of galleries, boutique shops, tack stores and restaurants. And the surrounding area is rich in horse history and gorgeous farms. You can even stop in to the COTH offices! Lots of B&B and Inn options. Quick trip up from SC.

www.middleburgspringraces.com
                              Patience pays.

Comment

Originally posted by SteeleRdr View Post
                                As for Montpelier, if you want to go to watch racing, then it's not the place to go. I don't find that the course is that spectacular for race viewing. Not a fan of the course at all. While the history is there, the racing (other than the Noel Laing) is not very spectator friendly, IMO.
                                Ditto. I've been twice; it needs large flatscreens if anyone hopes to follow the racing.

Originally posted by SteeleRdr View Post
                                My hope is to make it up to Far Hills and Saratoga this Summer and Fall. I hear that both are amazing venues. Same with Iroquois.
                                No one in their right mind can recommend Saratoga enough. The day I win the lottery is the day I buy a summer home there.
                                Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteCamry View Post
                                  The Maryland Hunt Cup is the third jewel in the unofficial "Maryland Hunt Triple," which includes My Lady's Manor (3 miles over timber fences) and the Maryland Grand National (4 miles over timber fences.) The races are run on the last three Saturdays in April.

Two horses have won all three races in the same year: Wincanton in 1942 & '46 and Jay Trump in '64.
                                  The Maryland Grand National is 3 1/4

Comment

Being from Maryland and having grown up going to the Hunt Cup it would be blasphemy to suggest any other race meet. Even if it is only one 1 race it is easy to make a fun day of it. Just hope the weather is good. This is Timber racing at it best. And Timber is America’s steeplechase. History and Tradition rules. No disrespect to the sissy jumpers, hurdlers intended.

But you are making a long trip so I would recommend as others Middleburg also. If you go in the fall you get 2 days.
                                    I also really enjoy Gold Cup. But I suppose if you have a problem with people have a good time and drinking is involved, well, there are church socials closer.
                                    Radnor in PA is a great meet. Heck they are all great! P-Ps also

Comment

High Hope Steeplechase races at KHP in May are a hoot - not real serious racing, but a ton of fun and you can tailgate right on the rail.

Comment

Likely easiest to ask this here:

With the Thorton Hill Point to Point (March 3rd) in Sperryville VA is there a fee per person or is it just per car? The website is a bit simplistic and I'm left to guess the real deal I'll be in the area visiting and thought it will be a good way to spend a Saturday as any.

9 Races on the card - if the site is updated.

Comment

Working...
                                        X