• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse dead last in his 1st start; what next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse dead last in his 1st start; what next?

Homebred 2YO out of our mare (1st foal from the mare for us; she had 1 or 2 previous foals by nothing stallions who did not race.)

Ran yesterday, absolutely abysmal effort. I don't think he handled the track but he has worked faster than he ran. Jockey had no excuses, said he ran for a quarter and then just stopped. Horse is just fine. The other owners are absolutely screaming and I understand that, they haven't put forth thousands to get the worst race we've ever had in 20+ years as owners.

I didn't want to run the horse at 2, figured he'd be much better next year after he matured. Also he'd be running at our home track rather than at a dumpy track several hours away. I was overruled. Now the trainer either wants to pull the plug on the horse's racing career or run him right back while dropping to the bottom (yesterday was a maiden special weight.)

Don't think I'm even seeking advice, just commiseration. I have helped find new jobs for lots of can't-run OTTBs over the past few years but they were always other people's horses, not my own that I raised from birth.

It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

What kind of race was it? Did you scope him?
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

One race does not make or break a two year old!! In the first race they are either scared or wired!! Owners must realize that it takes time with a youngster and some are slower to "get it" than others. Years ago we had a nice big two year old who made his first start on a muddy track. He broke good at the front of the pack and was so terrified at the racket behind him that he won with ease going 3/4. The problem was that he couldn't be pulled up until he got to the far side of the track (1/2 mile pole) away from the roaring crowd and flatly refused to come back to the winners circle!! He finally got to the winners circle and got his picture taken as the next race was warming up!! You just can't judge a two year old by his first race!!! They are still babies!! JMO
      www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
      Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

• Original Poster

It was a MSW. He was not scoped. Was not even blowing after the race. He did not run on Lasix; all the others in the race did.

Cross Creek, ***I*** know that. Just have to get the others on board. I'd rather turn him out and bring him back in the spring, but financially that probably isn't feasible for most of the owners. The track was also sloppy and he had never worked on anything but a fast track. It's hard to excuse away a 54-length loss though.
        It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Comment

Sounds like you have lots of things you can try. Always scope a horse that doesn't run as expected. Blinkers are probably in order as well.
          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

And if it turns out racing is not his deal, there are folks out here (like me) who are facilitators of great new careers for TBs!
            SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
            Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
            The Barkalicious Bakery
            On Facebook!!!

Comment

Sorry about the race.

On a side note, just curious, how did you deal with the day off decision?

Comment

I thought from the title that your horse died during his first start. Glad to hear that he is OK but sorry you've had a bad start to his career.

Comment

Fingers crossed that you can get the other owners on board. I know you have a special connection with this guy and would rather not see him drop down to the bottom claimers.

Comment

Originally posted by Slewdledo View Post
                    I'd rather turn him out and bring him back in the spring, but financially that probably isn't feasible for most of the owners.
                    That's the first thing I thought of. Would never judge a race career by a 2yo's race 1. You are so right.

IMO, there are too many horses thrown away by partnerships and owners who'd rather make the horse pay his board beginning as a 2 year old - than do the right thing by him. If the partners can't even afford a winter turn out...
                    I would never create a model for a partnership that way.

If you need something that might help them hang on, maybe get some statistics from the DRF? I can't tell you the number of times I saw the PPs of successful 3yos who had 1 race as a 2yo and did nothing. (OK, OK, we're not talking TC, but successful nonetheless.) Of course most of them just needed the time to grow. As long as he was able to handle the training, that is a good sign.

Hope you can convince them... Oh, and I was involved w/ a horse that they initially wouldn't give a break to in the winter. The partners all thought he had to be near them in NY where the turn out was still pricey. Once they were convinced he should head to VA for the winter, he improved both record wise, and soundness wise. Hang in there...
                    But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

Are they new to the racing world owners? I know it's hindsight but I always encourage new owners to claim rather than breed one or buy a youngster. Anyway, dig around on Equinline etc and show them some race records of mediocre horses that failed miserably in their first start. I would stay away from the super stars, as that can get their hopes up even higher.

There's a lot to be said to have a fit horse, it seems unreasonable (money and time wise) to not give him another shot. Dropping him down in company might be a good idea, but no need to push him off the cliff right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Slewdledo View Post
                        Homebred 2YO out of our mare (1st foal from the mare for us; she had 1 or 2 previous foals by nothing stallions who did not race.)

Ran yesterday, absolutely abysmal effort. I don't think he handled the track but he has worked faster than he ran. Jockey had no excuses, said he ran for a quarter and then just stopped. Horse is just fine. The other owners are absolutely screaming and I understand that, they haven't put forth thousands to get the worst race we've ever had in 20+ years as owners.

I didn't want to run the horse at 2, figured he'd be much better next year after he matured. Also he'd be running at our home track rather than at a dumpy track several hours away. I was overruled. Now the trainer either wants to pull the plug on the horse's racing career or run him right back while dropping to the bottom (yesterday was a maiden special weight.)

Don't think I'm even seeking advice, just commiseration. I have helped find new jobs for lots of can't-run OTTBs over the past few years but they were always other people's horses, not my own that I raised from birth.

Wow -- what kind of trainer pulls the plug after one race?

Other than perhaps getting a new trainer, I can only tell you -- it can only get better from here!

Comment

Are his shins OK? That can be a pretty big excuse . Especially on a hard track. I imagine the rider eased him making his losing margin seem even worse. None the less he punched his ticket to easier company , no one is gonna claim him off of that defeat, if that is a concern for you. I hate it when your babies run bad, I do know how it feels. I assume your in Portand.
                          https://www.facebook.com/russellracingstable

Comment

Why not meet in the middle and drop him down to a maiden claimer, but not bottom of the barrel. I would give him a good work out of the gate with company to simulate a race and get his confidence up and try again. We had a filly that worked unbelievable in the mornings and then ran and did the same thing - the winning race time on a fast synthetic track was slower than what she regularly worked on a very deep training track. She came back in a tougher MSW (with blinkers) and she ran great and was beaten 3 lengths in what amounted to her first real race seeing she didn't get involved first time. A lot of horses run shockingly bad first time out. It's too early to lose hope if you think it is truly a nice horse!

Comment

Originally posted by Come Shine View Post
                              On a side note, just curious, how did you deal with the day off decision?
                              I was thinking the same thing!
                              Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                              http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                              http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

Not to sound too harsh, but...I think there is more of a trainer/owner problem than a horse problem, here!! Owners are ALWAYS PO'd/dissappointed when their "baby" doesn't win, but geez...two year old, first race, muddy track, apparently shipped to an "away"strange track...None of this points to a good performance. Not being there, I would hardly think that he bled or had breathing problems if he put forth so little effort. If he has pharyngitis, the trainer should have picked up on THAT when he was breezing at home. I'd also question his actual level of fitness and race preparedess by the trainer...maybe he wasn't REALLY ready to make his first start. The trainer may be covering his a$$ by blaming everything on the colt!! MSW can be a pretty tough race depending on where you are. With no siblings to race, no one will be worried about claiming him, so a drop in class is no sin. Better to run good in lower company, than last against the heavey heads!! I surely woundn't be worried about his future as a race horse based on the info you've given...even if he is YOUR first homebred runner. Please forgive my outspoken opinion, but in 40 years on the track I've seen this situation and met "first-time" owners like this!!!
                                Last edited by crosscreeksh; Nov. 16, 2011, 08:47 PM. Reason: add word
                                www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Your trainer is either:

- sharp and wants nothing to do with a horse that either has no heart, no brain, or no real ability

- an idiot with no real skills

Why is there little consideration for finding a much easier spot, ie- a maiden claimer? Why would he get claimed? If you want to race, it's the kindest thing you could do for him.

Find a legit trainer who will give your gelding some time, and enter him in a realsitic spot.

Comment

sorry, I should not laugh.

but it pretty much is the story of my geldings first race. I got some nice chots of him all by himself down the front stretch...about, uh, 40 length behind the winner. He would have had a chance winning the next race though....

to his excuse we trained him at home, he had a solid riding horse foundation. Then at the track he was all like "OH SHINY!!!"
                                    Plus the little girl riding him, well, lets just say it took us a while to figure out not to put a girl on him. (seriously, he was a chauvinist pig)
                                    I remember we started him at 2 (the race horse 2: rising ) but I can't remember if we raced him at 2 (been 20 years)

I was going to tell you that he recovered and actually won some money....but then I checked his stats!
                                    He did make some, but not enough to buy a cup of coffee.....
                                    Originally posted by BigMama1
                                    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                    GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Seriously, give him some time off, even just a few weeks, run him back in lower company. Lots of horses in lots of disciplines have severe baby brain their first time out. (Old OTTB had a total mental breakdown at his first show--"OMG WHAT ARE THESE STRANGE COLORED STICKS OVER WHICH I AM TO JUMP? AIIIIEEEE!") First real race, first real company, first time on that track, MSW is not always easy...drop him into a maiden claimer and let him try again now he's got the first-time sillies out. You can look at lots and lots of equibase charts and see a horse where their first start is a bomb in a MSW and their next is a claiming race and they finish much better.

As for getting claimed, *possible*, but most of the time people only claim horses who are making money. I don't think, looking at his record, Lucky ever changed hands in a claim in 64 starts, even when he was *making money* in AOCs or coming off an allowance win. There are lots and lots of horses available--unless the horse is a sibling to something spectacular or has been posting amazing works, why would someone drop a claim on him after he ran last his only other time out?
                                      Author Page
                                      Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                      Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

How was the mother on the track? When did she break her maiden? Distance? Track conditions? How about the sire, did he show promise as a 2 year old? On an off track? Distance? Progeny? Any similarly bred progeny? Is he in a growth spurt/ungainly? Nervous in the paddock/wash out? "Looky", need blinkers, a shadow roll? How's the shins feel? How many works? What is he doing in the morning? So many unanswered questions, things that horsemen would look at and consider before pulling a plug or dropping a horse. Does the trainer have a history of success with young ones? As for precedent of great horses that were shelved as 2 year olds, show the other owners Zenyatta. Sometimes, they just need to be allowed to mature.

Comment

Working...
                                        X