• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

On the road to the 2012 Kentucky Derby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post
    Still picking up my jaw off the floor at Bodemeister's relaxed and effortless 9 length (!) romp!

Thought his win and Gemologist's win last weekend in the Wood were the most impressive of all the preps, actually.

Agreed 100%. I've never been on the Hansen bandwagon myself.

I am sure Mike Maker wishes he could trundle owner Dr. Hansen off to an isolated private island until after the Derby (or even just lock him in an empty stall). What a doofus.
    Agree with everything!
    But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Glimmerglass View Post
      Actually in the Arkansas Derby I thought Baffert's 'Secret Circle' would/should have been taken down as that horse was zig-zag in the stretch cutting off a couple of runners who had to settle for 3rd and 4th.
      Darn - didn't see that! He ruined my exacta!
      But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

• Dullahan - Wow, I like him..........looks like a mature-thinking 3 yr old and handled his traffic well.

Hansen - love him in spite of a goofy owner, but don't think he's going to be able to get it done. Too much distance for him I think.

Bodemeister - another Wow. Some said they hoped he didn't use himself up today, but it looked like mostly a hand ride as he was pulling away

Secret circle looked like he was going to run in his own secret circle coming down the stretch!!

going to make for an interesting Derby
        We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

• Completely agree - will be very very interesting.
          So is anyone thinking Triple Crown?? Would be nice to have another .........

Originally posted by 2tempe View Post
          Dullahan - Wow, I like him..........looks like a mature-thinking 3 yr old and handled his traffic well.

Hansen - love him in spite of a goofy owner, but don't think he's going to be able to get it done. Too much distance for him I think.

Bodemeister - another Wow. Some said they hoped he didn't use himself up today, but it looked like mostly a hand ride as he was pulling away

Secret circle looked like he was going to run in his own secret circle coming down the stretch!!

going to make for an interesting Derby
          The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
          H. Cate

Comment

• Original Poster

Beyer Speed Figs from the Blue Grass:

Hansen earned a 96 BSF
            Dullahan earned a 98 BSF

It was a good day for business at Keeneland too despite initial fears of rain:

Ontrack attendance of 40,617 smashed the old record of 33,821 set nearly five years ago on Lexington Stakes Day, while all-sources handle of $21,647,378 also easily broke the old record of $19.2 million, set five years ago on Blue Grass Day. The 12 races run Saturday were the most ever for a single card at Keeneland.
            Next weekend's $200,000 Coolmore Lexington Stakes will only afford Reveron the chance to make the Kentucky Derby with graded earnings. He was the runner-up in the Florida Derby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post
              Still picking up my jaw off the floor at Bodemeister's relaxed and effortless 9 length (!) romp!

Thought his win and Gemologist's win last weekend in the Wood were the most impressive of all the preps, actually.

Agreed 100%. I've never been on the Hansen bandwagon myself.

I am sure Mike Maker wishes he could trundle owner Dr. Hansen off to an isolated private island until after the Derby (or even just lock him in an empty stall). What a doofus.

I don't know if Hansen's a private physician, but I am not real sure I'd want him for my doctor! "Let's use some pretty ribbon for these stitches, maybe tie them in little bows!"

And ugh, why on earth did Bodemeister's owners accede to Baffert's name suggestion? It's awful. Yes, I know Baffert's kid is named Bode (after that nitwit skier Bode Miller), but still. What a horrid name.

Comment

• Bodemeister got a 105 Beyer for the AR Derby.

CJ coverage of "Tailgate" :

http://http://www.courier-journal.co...medium=twitter

Comment

• Was thinking this morning that Dr Hansen is such a male chauvinist. Where were the guys with the blue tails?!?

(No, just kiddding...think all of this brouhaha is idiotic...)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by CVPeg View Post
                    (No, just kiddding...think all of this brouhaha is idiotic...)
                    Agreed in so far as I think anyone who was followed the news (or even this thread from time to time) would've known that Dr. Kendal Hansen really wanted to do something fun with color. There were tons of hints of "stay tuned" for the Blue Grass and a surprise.

So it wasn't a shock that someone at his request did try to dye part of the tail. I was expecting blue ribbons in his mane myself. Was doing it silly? Yes. Is it a big deal? No. It didn't cost him the race and by not sending him to the post color distorted there is no violation - so no fine or reprimand will occur.

I'm seeing elsewhere way too many folks bitching about Dr. Hansen as being this or that and bad for the game, etc. Come on. He loves the sport - he's super proud of his horse - he wants to infuse excitement into racing - he's willing to spend his own money to jump start some passion. Be it the tee shirts, wrist bracelets, the aborted sky writing at Keeneland, the aborted drop of the bracelets, or yes even the blue coloring on the horse.

Folks need to move on over the whole thing. The horse didn't die of shame, it didn't injure him or distract him. Dr. Hansen should've taken the "no means no" of the racing authorities and not tried it but so be it.

Comment

• I think I've narrowed down my picks to

Union Rags
                      Gemologist
                      Dullahan

Good strong horses who've seemingly gotten better with each race.

Of course, in the Derby anymore, with the 20 PP, the winner gets it more by luck than skill....I see Dullahan as a Belmont horse.
                      "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Comment

• Glimmer, I agree with you that there was no violation, and thus no harm no foul.

But I disagree with you that this is merely a tempest in a teapot and people need to "move on."

I think the doctor is a total buffoon with his over-the-top antics, period. He was told NO by stewards in 2 states and he chose to fool around anyway - and by some media accounts up to around 3:00 p.m. on race day.

There is a petulant, juvenile quality about the whole thing, as if to say "screw you I'm doing whatever I want, your rules be damned."

Of course one can't prove that "Tailgate" actually caused the horse any upset, obviously. But he sure was worked up in that post parade, no?

Owners can have fun and generate fan excitement in lots of appropriate ways without actually interfering with the horse. Thinking of the Mosses and all the fun fan promos they did at the track for Z.

Or even the scads of happy silly folks in the winners circle last weekend for I'll Have Another after the SA Derby or, going back a few years, the great goofy Sackatoga Stables guys with Funnycide.

All in good fun, garnered some positive media attention, and didn't reduce a nice race horse to a dyed circus poodle, either. Or cause a media distraction for the trainer and the hardworking team at the barn.

Comment

• Original Poster

As noted some jock switch and firming up who will ride which horse ...

Garrett Gomez will ride Daddy Nose Best for trainer Steve Asmussen in the Kentucky Derby on May 5. Originally named last week Mike Smith on that horse switches to Bodemeister in a less than shocking turn of events now that the horse will be assured of a starting gate.

The prior rider of Bodemeister - Rafael Bejarano - was asked by Baffert to ride Secret Circle in the Arkansas Derby. Rafael doesn't have a say in the lost mount of Bode. So with Secret Circle at #10 (with $670,000 in graded money, just ahead of Bode at #11) he has his Derby horse but seemingly a lukewarm runner compared to others at the moment.

Worth citing the statistic mentioned just about every year in the last decade: Bodemeister will be attempting to become the first horse since Apollo in 1882 to win the Derby without having made a start at age 2. As ga-ga as folks were with his Oaklawn effort I don't see him breaking that drought.

Comment

• I am hoping for a really thrilling comptetive race in which all come home safe. I am really looking forward to this years Derby. There seems to be alot of closely matche horses this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glimmerglass View Post

I'm seeing elsewhere way too many folks bitching about Dr. Hansen as being this or that and bad for the game, etc. Come on. He loves the sport - he's super proud of his horse - he wants to infuse excitement into racing - he's willing to spend his own money to jump start some passion. Be it the tee shirts, wrist bracelets, the aborted sky writing at Keeneland, the aborted drop of the bracelets, or yes even the blue coloring on the horse.

Folks need to move on over the whole thing. The horse didn't die of shame, it didn't injure him or distract him. Dr. Hansen should've taken the "no means no" of the racing authorities and not tried it but so be it.
                              Seriously. It's STUPID, but so is a human dying their hair with streaks of blue or purple. On no planet could it be construed as disguising the horse's identity. He should probably just braid it with blue ribbons. But really complaining because he's really enthusiastic? Come on. The LAST thing this sport needs is more Stop Having Fun Guys. Enthusiastic owners with money to burn, on the other hand, are more than welcome.

ETA: I'd love a TC, but 1. lets' wait until there's some possibility (ie a Derby and a Preakness win) and 2. Please, not with a stupid name like Bodemeister. If I were the owner I'd have put my foot down.
                              Author Page
                              Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                              Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

• Much as I enjoyed watching Bodemeister live yesterday, I must admit, the name grates on me, too. I do like that he's by Empire Maker, who I always thought should have won the Derby his year other than his foot injury. But the name . . .

I will confess to rooting against Big Brown at the Belmont during his year because that just does not fit up there with the other TC winners. Gallant Fox, War Admiral, Count Fleet . . . Big Brown. No.

Comment

• Wish to clarify - the brouhaha I think of initially, is Dr Hansen making such a spectacle to draw attention to himself. Think it's possible this did interfere with the horse on race day, but so could too many flies in the stall that morning. Something I used to tell SO all the time. Anything could cloud up a result. The horse's coming in 2nd, though may have given him pause, but probably not - too big of an ego.

Just hate, however, the idiots who care to draw attention to themselves, and not the horse, trainer, jockey, etc. We know you've paid all the bills, but go elsewhere - sky diving, a circus, rent a grand ballroom to draw attention to yourself. The horse, under a good trainer, would have run well for another owner.

And now, back to the best part - considering the horses, trainers, and jockeys, once again.

Comment

• I at first hated the name, Bodemeister as well, but have softened considering Baffert's recent medical issue. And the way the horse ran - well, that didn't interfere with anything!

Comment

• I'm in "He's a buffoon camp" too. Sure he's the owner but does that extend to messing physically with the horse on raceday? This is a big deal to Mike Maker too--its not like he has Derby horses every year.

Besides those playgirl horse bunnies in the white with the blue tails just creeped me out. He's a doctor and if he wants to help/appeal to kids, find an Alex's Lemonade angle.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm guilty here of not putting this one to bed by posting this story from the Herald-Leader, but the story and facts seem to continue to take odd turns. If I read this correctly: 1 - Mike Maker is saying he was aware and ok with the blue dye and 2 - Dr. Hansen was willing to enter the horse and run him with the blue tail and then pay the fine; 3 - Dr. Hansen believe the rule wouldn't have been violated.

#1 - Mike Maker's knowledge:

Maker confirmed Sunday he indeed was aware of and helped coordinate the initial dying of Hansen's tail.

"I think everybody thinks I was against the blue tail which in fact, the tail was dyed before (the race)," Maker said. "I was under the impression it wasn't permissible and to take it off. Obviously the owner went through a lot of planning and expense to get that done. And he had every right to be mad."
                                        #2 - Dr. K. Hansen's willing to take the risk but couldn't get in touch with Maker

Upon hearing his colt could be scratched, Dr. Hansen requested a meeting with the stewards where he said he was told the horse would be allowed to run, but that he could face a possible fine.

Citing the spotty cellphone service brought on by a record crowd of over 40,000 at Keeneland on Saturday, Dr. Hansen said he was unable to contact Maker in time to let him know he did not need to wash the blue color out of Hansen's tail.

"Mike had to do what he had to do because the stewards said they might scratch him. But I don't like the way it was portrayed, like I'm some crazy owner who is not working together with my trainer. This was not the way I wanted it to go."
                                        #3 Interpretation of the rule:

Had Hansen won the Blue Grass with a dyed tail, his owner maintains he would have won any possible appeals other connections could have filed with the commission.

"The stewards showed me the rules and the rule doesn't say you can't alter the appearance of the horse, it says you can't alter the identity," Dr. Hansen explained. "And having the bottom tip of the tail doesn't alter the identity of the horse, they go by the (lip) tattoo and the markings. No track identifier uses the tip of the tail to identify the horse. So I would have won that in an appeal, I think."
                                        And the final word ....

Dr. Hansen said he has had his fill of backlash from his efforts to lighten things up.

... I don't want to get a bunch of crap like this," he said. "I like to have fun, and this was not fun for me yesterday."

Comment

• Original Poster

A fair number of Derby starters are poised to arrived at Churchill Downs now. Union Rags, Dullahan and Hansen are there. Monday there is a flight that will deliver Bodemeister, Secret Circle, and Sabercat,

It looks like El Padrino will be poised to sit on the wait-list with his $250k in graded money. Depending upon the list that is approx #23 but we still don't know if Wrote and/or Daddy Long Legs will ship in from Europe.

In Palm Meadows training are El Padrino as well as assured Derby starters Gemologist (who will be ridden by Javier Castellano) and Take Charge Indy.

Comment

Working...
                                          X