• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

OTTBs are wild and dangerous!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTTBs are wild and dangerous!!

Well, after hearing all the horror stories and dire warnings against owning such a violent, unpredictable, nasty tempered breed of horse...

I threw caution to the wind and I went and bought my young adult son one last year

Had I made a grave mistake? were we all about to be savaged and killed by this vicious animal?

Would he eat my grandson?

Would we find ourselves on Animal Planet's "Fatal Attractions"?

Would all those dire predictions of injury and death caused by such a horse come true?

All I can say is: after spending a year living with an ex racehorse, all i can say is: WHAT a year it's been!

Here is my video synopsis of living with a dangerous ex racehorse. It is not for the faint of heart, it's filled with hair raising scenes of us defying death every time we approach this creature.

His name is Beauseant, he raced at Penn National.... He is a 6 yr. old gray with a lineage that includes many of the greatest names in TB racing both in the US and in Europe. Within 5 generations: Ribot, Nasrullah, Nearco,
    Secretariat (our boy is a product of line breeding to Bold Ruler times 2, Somethingroyal times 3, and to Secretariat's half brother Lord Gaylord and to Secretariat himself),
    Count Fleet, Ambiorix, Northern dancer,Native Dancer, and his grandsire is Danzig.

Farther back he has lineal descent to St. Simon, Man o War, and to the Tetrarch through Mumtaz Mahal....

We didn't know all this when we bought him, just that he was an OTTB....something to be feared.

Here is a video synopsis of our first year as an OTTB owner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1_-DWUaiFo

I seriously wish that there was an organization out there to promote awareness and education to the public
    for these misunderstood and much maligned horses.

What a cute horse and grandson ! Fantastically done video, too. And, I love your draftie !

What area of the country are you in - your property is awesome !

Keep having fun with him.

Sonoma

Comment

I call my OTTB Dr. Doolittle. He raced for eight (8) years, was gelded at 10. He is the sweetest horse in the barn. The barn cat sleeps in his hay and he eats around her. He loves everyone and everything.

However, you do have to keep a thumb on him and not let him get away with anything, but he's certainly no worse than our QH.

Comment

What a vicious animal! How terrifying!!! *snort*

Have fun with him!
        Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
        www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Sonoma, we are in south central Pennsylvania. The draft's name is Epona, and she's a Belgian. Beau keeps her moving, or she'd just be content to stand around and eat all day. he's her personal trainer...lol

Laura, you are so right about the attitude thing. ANY horse of any breed can have an attitude....attitudes are not breed specific. However, if a QH has a bad temperment, its because he wasn't trained properly, but if an OTTB has bad temperment, it's genetic... now, how does that make sense? Yet some people believe this.

I am not saying owning an OTTB isn't a bit of a commitment. They are high energy athletes...and even the laziest OTTB, like Beau, still has alot of energy to burn. As you can see in the video. But they are not anything like their reputation for evil suggests....

No evil, just energy.

No attitude, just "personality".

Comment

LOVE the part where he is in the water! Nicely done, and he sure looks like a happy horse
            We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Was at a dressage show yesterday with my trainer's very green 6 year old TB, a chestnut mare to boot.

She was there with two other mares of comparable age and experience from our barn (the other two were Hano and Hano/Trak). She was by far the quietest and best behaved.

I just adore her.

Comment

My then 6 y.o. daughter's first horse of her own was my first race horse-a 6 y.o. chestnut mare. I should probably have been charged with child abuse for doing such a thing!
                What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

What a great tribute to the Thoroughbred! It brought tears to my eyes to see how your grandson and he interact...
                  In answer to your question/comment regarding how the word can get out about these animals---keep passing the word around!

As administrator of Turning For Home (600 horses in a bit over 3 1/2 years from Philadelphia Park/Parx), I know there are many such great stories (although maybe not so eloquently reported as yours is!). The only way to let people know is through good adoption procedures--meaning representing each horse honestly--and never overmatching your adopter; getting these OTTBs out there in the public eye (shows, stories, websites, etc.) so the word is passed around.

We have had horses who had nasty (not unsafe) reputations on the track who soon turned into kid-safe, honest, easy keeper kind of horses, just because they moved to a calmer environment, but still maintained the constant human contact and were shown tons of love, like your guy.

IT CAN BE DONE!!
                  Turning For Home, Inc.
                  Philadelphia Park Racehorse Retirement Program
                  www.patha.org
                  turningforhome@patha.org

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mht View Post
                    My then 6 y.o. daughter's first horse of her own was my first race horse-a 6 y.o. chestnut mare. I should probably have been charged with child abuse for doing such a thing!
                    Goodness, yes!!!! What a bad mother you are! Don't you know that OTTBs kill and eat children!?

But I shouldn't throw stones since I live in a glass house, as the saying goes.

Last week my 10 yr. old grandson hand grazed the killer horse in the video for FIVE whole minutes. I know, I know.....I'm a bad granny.

The people in the video are my two adult kids, my daughter{the one getting her head eaten by Beau, he does cranial surgery all the time} and the boy with the black curly hair and beard is my adult son....Beau's owner.

Barbara, what a lovely thing you are doing for these brilliant and loving horses. I am so glad someone is doing something to promote awareness and rehome these horses. I wish I could do something...

Comment

• Original Poster

Just wanted to add that you all are making ME all teary eyed.

I seriously thought that few people cared about these misunderstood horses....but with organizations like Barbara's out there, there IS help for these lovely animals...and HOPE.

May many more OTTBs find loving and happy FOREVER homes!!

Comment

I think you have done something...and if I need help using the software program you had to make that delightful video, maybe you could help ME!

I would love to do a couple of those with some of our guys...we have a website and lots of ways (including television news stories and access to all kinds of people) to get the word out!

Since you are in PA, you could be a huge help in urging people to adopt horses from Pha or Penn Nat.
                        Turning For Home, Inc.
                        Philadelphia Park Racehorse Retirement Program
                        www.patha.org
                        turningforhome@patha.org

Comment

• Original Poster

Barbara, what could I do to help?

I do have a blog, so I'll put the video on there...and on my facebook page and my friends' facebook pages....

But you are right, there are ways to get the word out. I'll just have to find them....

because I feel we OWE it to Beau. He has done so much for this family. I hope I am not divulging too much personal info, but my daughter was actually talking about suicide alot before we got Beau because she felt responsible for our palomino QH having to be put down. it wasn't her fault, but she refused to accept that....

Beau has given her a new lease on life.....he has healed the wounds in her spirit and given her something to smile about...as in the picture in the video where it looks like he is eating her head....she never used to smile like that....not since our QH died....

I know there is a TB rescue nearby....I wonder if i can be of any help to them.....

Comment

How awesome, thank you for sharing! I also have one of those vicious, crazy, dangerous animals, and I love him to pieces!

Beauseant, though, is registered with the Jockey Club as a 5 year old chestnut mare who raced exclusively at Woodbine. I only bring this up because I really enjoy looking up a TB's pedigree and race history, and many former trainers, owners and breeders are very interested to know where their horses end up. Maybe I'm mis-spelling your guy's name or something?

Comment

What a great tribute video! I am happy for you and your family that Beau has done so much to heal so many. Bless you for helping to spread the word.
                              Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
                              Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
                              Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Comment

What a sweet video and he just looks like a wonderful fella. He is lucky to have you and vice versa.

There are some VERY bad matches out there which is what causes the bad reputation that OTTBs get, so it is refreshing to see a happy ending.

I'd be interested to see what is up with his name/pedigree...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by alspharmd View Post
                                  is registered with the Jockey Club as a 5 year old chestnut mare who raced exclusively at Woodbine. I only bring this up because I really enjoy looking up a TB's pedigree and race history, and many former trainers, owners and breeders are very interested to know where their horses end up. Maybe I'm mis-spelling your guy's name or something?

Someone stole my name???

Beauseant is the name we gave him because his real name is just too darn ugly and plain for such a noble and glorious creature. He is registered as ....gulp.....Brother Bill! Ewwwww.....foaled Feb 27, 2005...

He raced at Penn National for a short time. Feel free to comment on his pedigree if you'd like....It is quite impressive...for such a racetrack failure.

His grandsire was Danzig..... and he has links back to the Tetrarch through Mumtaz Mahal.....

Apparently he is a product of linebreeding with the Secretariat line.....

Isn't linebreeding somewhat risky?

In one of his races, he was in the lead for a short time, but just can't go the distance. He has sprinter speed, but fades fast.....

Wasn't it Bold Ruler who was criticized for not producing offspring with staying power....or am I confused as usual

Comment

• Original Poster

having editing problems.....

Comments on the pedigree/linebreeding are welcome.

I'm not sure i understand how linebreeding is different from inbreeding...and is that safe?

Obviously it doesnt always work as Beau is a racing failure...so why do breeders do it?

Comment

Yeah, if you want to spread the word, make sure the real name is attached! Otherwise people get confused. (Of course, I'm lucky, pun unintended, Lucky To Cope has a name that's pretty good plus it's a stealth pedigree name--by Lucky Lionel out of Copenqueen by Copelan.)

They linebreed first to get the names you mentioned, for a start! (To be honest, the only ones you mentioned I'd be better than neutral about are Count Fleet and Ambiorix--the rest are common as crabgrass, especially the Dancers. It's hard NOT to find ND, NorD or RaN in a pedigree.) They look good on a sale pedigree. Plus, breeders linebreed because it generally works. This guy wasn't a dud because he was linebred, and most TBs are inbred, he just happened to not get a huge combination of all the really good genes, or maybe he just didn't like his job! Some just aren't interested in being racehorses.

And in any case, the most important to look at are the sire and dam (performance, and especially her other offspring), and his aren't horrible but they're nothing spectacular. And they could have been A.P. Indy and Azeri and he could have STILL turned out to be a mediocre racehorse at best. Genetics are a crapshoot. But concentrating good names does at least mean the pool you're choosing from has good material. And if you're breeding for sale, they'll go for more.

I think that almost all TBs who are gray have to go back to The Tetrarch, somehow? There's one particular line that carries the gene. (I hope he's not TOO gray--I keep thinking I want a gray and then I think about grass stains and manure stains...)

It's funny. I've met far more wild n' crazy non-TBs than TBs, and almost all the thoroughbreds I've known came off the track. Six months or so after his last race he was giving a four-year-old her first "pony" ride. If anything I was kind of relieved that he had a little temper tantrum under saddle today as he's almost too quiet!
                                      Author Page
                                      Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                      Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

[QUOTE=Mah Navu;5737596 He is registered as ....gulp.....Brother Bill! Ewwwww.....foaled Feb 27, 2005...
                                        [/QUOTE]

Oy. I'm usually a staunch advocate of never changing a TB's name...but you're right, Brother Bill is pretty darn boring!!

I think the pedigree is pretty interesting. You don't see mare inbreeding very often (for obvious reasons).

Comment

Working...
                                        X