• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Breeders' Cup to eliminate raceday meds by 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeders' Cup to eliminate raceday meds by 2013

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/nat...s-by-2013.aspx

...prohibited for 2yo's by 2012
    But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

This is best news I've heard from the racing industry in a long time.

Is just unfortunate it can't be implemented sooner. 2yr olds it could certainly be implemented immediately. Next logical step is to get rid of lasix in all stakes races everywhere. By starting with stakes races momentum can be gained to ban it once again in all racing.
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

Comment

It's like banning baby aspirin in an attempt to control the drug war. Simply a token to appease the people who don't understand horse racing in my opinion.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
        It's like banning baby aspirin in an attempt to control the drug war. Simply a token to appease the people who don't understand horse racing in my opinion.
        And what misunderstanding might that be?

Only misunderstanding as I see it is that so many participants from the backside to the front office have succumbed to the big lie that a TB racehorse can't do one stinking lap around a racetrack without the aid of chemistry. I say BS on that.

If there's any truth to that then it's high time they start breeding some that can.
        "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
        Michael Gill-2010

Comment

• Original Poster

Am frankly glad to see it happen. Will be interesting to see how training records will change, especiallly for those who have never liked them in the first place. Darn.
          But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

I think this is a positive step forward and is great news.

Comment

Bleeding is an anatomical consequence from asking an animal to do something they were not designed to do. They are built for max speed to escape a predator. No predator chases for a mile or more at top speed. All this does is make a return to the days of barbaric practices like withdrawing hay and water for up to three days before a race. Real humane, not but better than letting them swim in their own blood.
              McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Do the horses that come over for the Breeder's Cup from another country automatically run on Lasix because they can? I doubt it and I don't think they are put on a starvation regiment either.

If horses can run in other countries without it - and I am sure they are not starved for 3 days before the race - why can't the U.S. start making an effort to do the same.

Do you have ideas on how to make racing better in the states? Things need to start somewhere.

Comment

Yes, they do run on lasix when they come to this country. I do have ideas to improve racing but they do not have anything to do with lasix as I don't believe that needs to be fixed. I would like to see more fan outreach to get them up close and personal with horses and I want a national governing body that oversees retirement funds for horses among other things.
                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

True it may be a small step towards fixing a much bigger problem but I personally believe that it is a positive step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPeg View Post
                      A clue is born!
                      Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Comment

Definitely a step in the right direction. They don't need Lasix in other countries, so why do we need it here? Yes, trainers from other countries use it here, but only because it enhances performance -- I don't blame them.

If horses truly can't race in this country without Lasix or other drugs, maybe we shouldn't be racing them.

Let's hope trainers don't start withholding food/water. If they do, there should be serious consequences. Of course, the bad apples are doing stuff like that, and worse, anyway. Unfortunately, it's just part of any sport, especially the ones that include animals.

It will be interesting to see which bloodlines hold up over the years without Lasix.
                        "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Comment

An interesting bit of history and questions that come from the action

DRF/Steven Crist, July 15 2011 "Breeders' Cup's Lasix stance no overall fix"

excerpt

Horses who used Lasix in other jurisdictions were not permitted to race on it when they came to New York for races such as the Belmont Stakes or the fall championship events such as the Woodward and Jockey Club Gold, and for the 1990 Breeders’ Cup at Belmont Park. New York was the last major racing state to ban Lasix until throwing in the towel in 1994, just in time for the 1995 Breeders’ Cup at Belmont.

Alysheba, the first Derby winner known to have raced on Lasix, was not permitted to run with it when he bid for the Triple Crown in the 1987 Belmont. Jack Van Berg, his trainer, blamed the colt’s fourth-place finish on an impatient ride rather than the lack of medication. He did not race again in New York until the fall of 1988, when his owners, somewhat stung by criticism that the colt had not won a race without it, sent him out to an authoritative Lasix-free Woodward victory.

The 1990 Triple Crown season was filled with talk of Lasix. Unbridled and Summer Squall used it en route to their respective Derby and Preakness victories, then Summer Squall skipped the Belmont in large pert because of the Lasix ban and never raced in New York again. Unbridled ran fourth in that Belmont without it, but later that fall won the last Lasix-free Breeders’ Cup Classic. Cigar, widely considered the top racehorse of the 1990’s, used Lasix in 15 of his 16 straight victories from 1994 to 1996, but ran just as well without it in two starts in New York and one in Dubai.
                          It’s an uncomfortable situation when you have one set of rules for a handful of championship races and star horses and another for all the rest. As things stand, we’re going to see Breeders’ Cup cards where the seven or eight Cup races will be run without medication, but the B’s and L’s will still be there for the supporting races on the undercard. Advocates say they had to start somewhere and hope this is the start of a massive rollback in raceday medication throughout the sport. Detractors are already rolling their eyes and saying that a Breeders’ Cup-only ban is nothing but a hypocritical and cosmetic attempt to appease critics.

It will be interesting to see how horsemen cope with a Lasix-free Breeders’ Cup in 2013 after more than two decades where over 90 percent of the starters used it – but even more interesting to see if it affects more than two of the 365 days a year of American racing.

Comment

European horses run on other meds. Not legal ones.
                            * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
                              Exactly! But the average Joe doesn't know that so do away with lasix so we can pretend we are cleaning up racing for appearances sake. What they don't know doesn't hurt anybody but the horses.
                              McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Bleeding is an anatomical consequence from asking an animal to do something they were not designed to do. They are built for max speed to escape a predator. No predator chases for a mile or more at top speed.
                                They don't? Can you sight your sources?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
                                  LOL. So do U.S. horses. People cheat. Let's hope they get caught.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to run a clean sport and have everyone on a level playing field. Cheaters suck. Thank goodness there are lots of good, honest people in racing, too.
                                  "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Comment

Bleeding is an anatomical consequence from asking an animal to do something they were not designed to do.
                                    Truth of the matter is that an extremely small segment of them actually bleed. Why is lasix not used in the morning? Why is it not needed for breezing? Fact of the matter is that trainers will do whatever they have to do from injecting blood from another horse up their nose to making them inhale barbed wire just to be able to use it.

Check out the book Run Baby Run by Bill Heller. Is a real good read folks
                                    Michael Gill-2010

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                                      LOL. So do U.S. horses. People cheat. Let's hope they get caught.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to run a clean sport and have everyone on a level playing field. Cheaters suck. Thank goodness there are lots of good, honest people in racing, too.
                                      This is for the most part what lasix is all about. As for performance enhancement that's debateable. 1st time use yes, but it seems to have an adverse effect on many horses too. The thing that makes it drsireable is that it masks many other things from testing.

Historically it was a cheaters drug in it's own right in the '60s and '70s. It couldn't be tested for so eventually racing jurisdictions caved and allowed it's use as long as it was declared.
                                      Michael Gill-2010

Comment

Originally posted by Profidia View Post
                                        Truth of the matter is that an extremely small segment of them actually bleed. Why is lasix not used in the morning? Why is it not needed for breezing? Fact of the matter is that trainers will do whatever they have to do from injecting blood from another horse up their nose to making them inhale barbed wire just to be able to use it.

Check out the book Run Baby Run by Bill Heller. Is a real good read folks
                                        Define "actually bleed." As I've stated before, a small amount of undetected blood can be just as dangerous as the two nostril gusher.

Some trainers do use lasix in the morning for breezes, usually for horses with a history of bleeding.

Very hard to take your position seriously when your ignorance on the subject is so telling.

Comment

Working...
                                        X