• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who is she? (Tattoo lookup help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is she? (Tattoo lookup help)

We are briefly fostering a rescued-from-slaughter mare and her baby. The baby is said to be a QH cross, 5-7 months old (she looks on the younger side of that.)

The mare is chestnut, in rough shape though she doesn't look terribly old. Tattoo looks to be J 4125. Definite on the 1-2-5. There nothing following the 5 (or possibly S?) but there may have once been another digit/letter at the beginning. There is some question as to whether she is a TB or QH - my boss says that to her, the mare looks much more like a TB. There WAS also some question as to whether she was pregnant again or not - she disproved that after just 12 hours in our care by showing that she's in raging heat.

She is a chestnut with a star and connected stripe, and pastern white on the left hind.

Any help is appreciated! I tried a tattoo search to no avail, that is not my forte! We would love to find out who she is, and possibly help to get the foal registered. She is located in the PNW.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

There should be another number in there somewhere, tb tats are one letter and five numbers.

Comment

Maybe Danica Whirl?

Foaled in WA in 2005 Breeder KW Nelson

Golden Whirl x Prevailing Winds

Tat I21254

Large irregular oval star slightly wider to the right and connected stripe becoming bordered flesh colored and ending between nostrils, into both nostrils

LH coronet white on inside

Median cowlick at eye level

Comment

Horse Name Mardi Gras Deelite

Tattoo J41253

Year of Birth 2006

sIRE Afternoon Delights
        Dam Name Candy Mountain

Color Chestnut, can't bring up markings but the markings on the mare and this number do not bring anything up. ETA: Her markings apparently don't match.

Sex Mare

Or

Hi Tech Toy 2006 Mare Luftikus Toy for Roy (WV) J41254, her markings also do not match apparently

OR searching by markings and J 125 only two mares come up:

Horse Name Spirits Tiara

Tattoo J12578

Year of Birth 2006

Sire: Crown Ambassador
        Dam Name Spirits Girl

Color Chestnut, Oval star mostly to right in forehead and connected stripe, narrowing on bridge of nose, becoming bordered flesh colored and ending to right between nostrils, into right nostril. Left hind: white to above ankle, higher in back and on inside in back; chestnut spots on coronet. Cowlick slightly to left at bottom of eye level.

Sex Mare

and

Horse Name Hawaiian Hula

Tattoo J31253

Year of Birth 2006 (VA)

Sire: Two Punch
        Dam Name Hula Colony

Color Chestnut, Small star and connected short tapering stripe, ending at eye level. Left hind: quarter stocking, higher on inside and in back. Median cowlick at top of eye level.

Sex Mare

If these aren't right I'd call the AQHA, they will also look up for free. (806) 376-4811
        Last edited by summerhorse; Mar. 27, 2011, 05:49 PM.
        Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Using I and those markings this mare comes up:

Horse Name A to the Croft

Tattoo I41254

Year of Birth 2005 (KY)
          Sire: Menifee
          Dam Name Heart Warmer

Color Chestnut, Star pointed at top and connected narrow stripe, becoming bordered flesh colored in center of face, widening on bridge of nose, ending between nostrils, touching right nostril. Left hind: two-thirds stocking, higher in front and on inside. Cowlick slightly to right above eye level.

Sex Mare

Nothing with matching sex and markings comes up moving the 125 to the end and only Danica Whirl comes up changing the first number and letter.

Comment

Is it possible to post a photo of the tattoo?
            Flickr

Comment

• Original Poster

I'll try to get pics of tattoo tomorrow. The Danica horse would fit, but for the left hind. Her full pastern is white all around. I DID find another possibility with several numbers that match and markings and cowlick match - Bella Contessa, 2000. (Jenny, if you look at her pedigree you will see that this is somewhat ironic if it actually IS her.)

Her head cowlick is centered, top of eye level (or possibly between eyes.)

Thanks all for taking the time to look!!!

ANd thanks for the AQHA number, I will call them tomorrow!

Comment

That would be absolutely wild if she was Bella Contessa. I couldn't figure out how to look to see if she has any AQHA produce. HOWEVER if she is A to the Croft by chance please sign me up as first on the list to adopt her, LOL.

Comment

What about her teeth? Closer to 5 or 10?
                  Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
                  Starman

Comment

Well, here's a few pics of A to the Croft to compare: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11698098@N08/2473376783/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverny99/2457154659/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bngarland/2338479915/

However, she appears to be living the broodmare life: had a 2010 filly by Distorted Humor and bred to Curlin for 2011, so I really really doubt this one slipped through the cracks
                    Flickr

Comment

haha, I am certain it's not A to the Croft, I was just being facetious.

Comment

Yeah I'd take her, in foal to Curlin!! =)

Comment

• Original Poster

Tattoo pics
                          http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/IMG_0052.jpg
                          http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/IMG_0051.jpg

and the lady herself
                          http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/IMG_0045.jpg

Comment

That does look like J4125. I'd check further into Appendix or racing QH. The style of the numbers, especially the 1, is different from TB tattoos that I've seen. (See the fresh tattoo here: http://www.netposse.com/liptattoo.html The 1 has the little tag on top and feet, where the 1 on your horse's tat is straight up and down.) That's also the right number of characters for Standardbred, but she doesn't look it, and I searched and there is nothing even close to being a match as far as color/markings/gender.
                            Flickr

Comment

Are you sure about the age? I can't tell from the angle but it seems that galvayne's grove is visible all the way down which would put her at around 20. Unfortunately that doesn't match any TBs in 91 or 92! U or V 4125__ . I would have guessed she might be a QH or appendix by looks although it is certainly hard to tell anymore! I hope the tattoo matches someone. Is there any ghost of a letter at the end? Or the beginning? She has to be someone!

Comment

Slew are you sure that isn't a "3" at the end??

Comment

Originally posted by onthehill View Post
                                  Slew are you sure that isn't a "3" at the end??
                                  Unfortunately that doesn't match any TB mares either (with those markings). Please call the AQHA in the morning, the suspense is KILLING ME! LOL

Comment

Tap, Tap, Tap...

Comment

• Original Poster

Sorry, have been tied up with a lot of other stuff lately. Summerhorse, if you'd like to call them, please do and let us know!!!! Everyone who has looked at it (4 people) sees the same: J4125. I know there's nothing after the 5.

I gave her a very good brushing today. Poor girl is shedding like you wouldn't believe and getting over rainrot - her skin on top is very dry. She is starting to sleek up, though. Sunshine helps! Very much an in-your-pocket pony and easy as pie to handle.

Comment

That last number could be a "3" not a "5".

The NetPosse site says that AQHA tats. Have the letter at the end, so your mare is a TB.

LBR
                                        I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Comment

Working...
                                        X