• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone heard of this guy before?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of this guy before?

I'm not sure if it's allowed on these boards to ask about specific individuals/barns by name, so just let me know if it's not and I'll remove all names.

Has anyone heard of a guy named David Bonner? Or a farm with the name Akofa (not sure on the spelling, and not sure that the name is entirely correct either) in it?

I'm located in NC, and today someone came by the barn inquiring about a stallion my trainer owns. This horse is a Swedish warmblood 3 year old colt, and apparently the guy's brother-in-law lives behind the barn (his property backs up to the pasture the colt is in) and told the guy that he really needs to come take a look at the colt and make an offer on him. He's for sale already (though he didn't know this when he came over). The guy is interested in racing him. The whole situation sounds too good to be true, but at the same time the guy seemed pretty knowledgeable about horses. He mentioned that he has an appendix and he's raced with AQHA before and also showed interest in another horse we have in training who's also an appendix and also for sale.

He asked my trainer if she was negotiable on the sale price, and offered her $500 less than what she has him listed at. Then he said he wanted to race him in Louisiana and wants to give her 7% of his earnings - then said he'd go ahead and pay the full price on him and he wants to pick him up a week from tomorrow.

So, the whole situation sounds kind of fishy, but the guy also seems to know what he's talking about as well. We tried looking up his name and his farm name, but based on the information we have, he doesn't exist online. So, have any of you guys heard of this guy?

We are located near Raleigh, NC...and the guy said he was located in Louisburg, NC.

Thanks!

Huh?

Um, this guy wants to race a Swedish warmblood 3 year old colt? Does this set off any bells? You need a Thoroughbred for flat racing, hurdling, and steeplechasing, and a Standardbred for trotting and pacing. American Quarter Horses are also raced, along with mules, Paints, Appaloosas and Arabs.

But Swedish Warmbloods racing? Never heard of it.

Beware.

Hallie I. McEvoy
    Racing Dreams, LLC

Comment

• Original Poster

That's what we were afraid of...and also why we tried researching him and why I'm interested to know if anyone else has heard of him before.

He definitely sounded like he knew what he was talking about, except for the fact that it just seems odd that he's interested in a warmblood for racing and that he not only agreed to pay the full price (after earlier negotiating a lower price), but is offering to give her a percent of his earnings?

A couple of other things I forgot to mention that I just remembered:
      -he also expressed interest in sending his horse to my instructor for training (in what discipline I'm not sure)
      -he mentioned something about round track racing (I think that's what it was called at least). I tried googling 'round track racing' and only came up with auto racing information. Does this exist? If so, what is it exactly?

It was a busy day (we had a live burn that lasted all day - the owners are burning their house/building a new one) so it was very crazy and hectic, and this horse has been on the market for awhile with minimal interest so far and we were all just kind of shocked that someone showed that much interest in him out of nowhere.

Thanks again!

Comment

Listen to Haligator. There is no sanctioned racing for "Swedish Warmbloods". Period. He's full of %&it! In fact, it could be a lot of fun to put him in touch with some of the COTHers who know racing better than the back of their hands! Maybe Glimmerglass or Laurierace could be your "agent" and get an earful of this guy's load o' crap!

Do not let him get his hands on this colt if you value the horse at all.

Comment

Listen to Haligator. There is no sanctioned racing for "Swedish Warmbloods". Period. He's full of %&it! In fact, it could be a lot of fun to put him in touch with some of the COTHers who know racing better than the back of their hands! Maybe Glimmerglass or Laurierace or Haligator could be your "agent" and get an earful of this guy's load o' crap!

Do not let him get his hands on this colt if you value the horse at all.

Comment

Insane! The guy is definitely not knowledgeable about racing. Swedish Warmbloods don't race. I guess the Appendix he is referring to is for Appendix QH. There isn't any appendix for thoroughbred flat racing.

He sounds like a con artist to me, and a bad one at that. He should have at least done some homework. I would be very, very careful as they might be setting you or your trainer up. Didn't he even ask about the bloodlines of the horse?
            Sharon
            https://www.ShopForPuppy.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Silvercrown90 View Post
              Insane! The guy is definitely not knowledgeable about racing. Swedish Warmbloods don't race. I guess the Appendix he is referring to is for Appendix QH. There isn't any appendix for thoroughbred flat racing.

He sounds like a con artist to me, and a bad one at that. He should have at least done some homework. I would be very, very careful as they might be setting you or your trainer up. Didn't he even ask about the bloodlines of the horse?
              I didn't think there were any swedish warmblood races - but just wanted to double check my facts in case I missed something .

Yeah, this whole situation makes me uncomfortable. When I left today, she asked me and her husband (the 'can find any information on anything in the world in 2 seconds' type) to look up anything about this guy we could find. I don't know if he asked about his bloodlines or not. I didn't hear any of the conversation that took place between him and my trainer. The only information I have is what she told me after he left.

Comment

Could be nonsanctioned races just for betting. Don't they have some of that in Louisiana?

I remember seeing something about illegal slaughter in Florida that also mentioned local races for any horses they wanted to run. The connection was a horse that had been raced on a paved road and broke a front leg. They butchered him.
                Last edited by ptownevt; Jan. 22, 2011, 10:43 PM. Reason: added info
                "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

I remember the time I had someone tell me they were going to go capture a wild mustang and give them to me to race for them. Good luck with that! And no, you can't race a warmblood in the US. Can't say for sure that is true for the whole world but would bet that it is. The whole reason they bred in some of the draft blood was to slow them down.
                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Who wants to lay odds that this guy would try to give you a Cashier's Check for more than the purchase price and then ask you to wire him the difference so he can pay for transport?

The whole story really smacks of the "Advance Check" fee scam where you end up losing the "difference" because the Cashier's Check is a forgery.

Don't walk away - RUN!!!!!
                    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Comment

If you want to play this out...
                      get to the point of money exchange and if its a cashiers check of any nature...

you could call the state police who would be glad to set this up to nab this person and put an end to his antics.

Myself and a neighbor here in Pa did get checks, bank was real, account was real, but it was empty....we just couldnt flush out the person. And our banks offered the suggestion to contact the state police.
                      IN GOD WE TRUST
                      OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
                      http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Comment

There is no racing for Swedish warmbloods!!

Get the make, model and license plate of his vehicle, take a good look at the guy so you can give an accurate description. Get his phone number and e-mail address if he has one. Tell him you will have the owner call him and tell him the owner could e-mail the horse's pedigree to him just so you can get them. Then google the phone numbers and e-mail address to find out what else he has been up to. He may be a known kill buyer. There is a list of them on alexbrownracing.com. I think they are listed by state.

Watch all the horses on the farm like a hawk. He may just have been "casing" the place. Does he know where the tack room is? He may be a thief wanting a good look around so he can come back an steal stuff.

I would call the police too. Just talk to them and tell them you thought this guy was very suspicious.

If the guy comes back I would discreetly have someone follow him when he leaves.

Comment

Be careful that he/they aren't scoping the farm for things to steal.

When I ran a boarding place I had a guy come out who looked fine at first (not seedy or creepy) and talked a pretty good game -- at first.

The longer I talked to him and looked at him, the more alarm bells went off. He was well dressed, but really gaunt and gray looking, with bad teeth. I know some people don't age well, but I thought he was 60 and he told me he was in his 40s. hen in talking about horses, the "wanting to board a couple horses" turned into moving here to compete a world champion registered QH stallion Olympic jumping horse. I live in the middle of nowhere as far as ANY competitive riding, with the possible exception of TWHs, so as he was taling about this big competitive horse, I was getting puzzled. Every time he added details it got worse and worse - I think he was trying to impress me, but it backfired. If he's just asked about boarding and lessons I wouldn't have noticed much. We're in a fairly rural area, and you see all kinds of folk here.

Long story short, I ran this by the dad of one of my students, who happened to be a cop. He said this is a fairly typical scenario for meth heads; spin a more or less plausible story with buzz words thrown around, get the grand tour and see what equipment is there, what the lay of the land is, see what's steal-able.

Be on your guard for a while, perhaps put a call in to the local police, see if there's anything similar going on in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by LookmaNohands View Post
                            There is no racing for Swedish warmbloods!!
                            Maybe he was thinking of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwXVY...eature=related

Comment

Scam Alert....all of the Above......or he's mental and just wanted to look at your horses.

Ummmm why hasn't anyone paid a courtesy call to the so called Brother-in-law whose property backs up to this farm??

Would be the most logical step to get to the bottom of this mystery??

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by judybigredpony View Post
                                Scam Alert....all of the Above......or he's mental and just wanted to look at your horses.

Ummmm why hasn't anyone paid a courtesy call to the so called Brother-in-law whose property backs up to this farm??

Would be the most logical step to get to the bottom of this mystery??
                                I've talked to my trainer (she's also the owner of this horse), and the guy gave her names/numbers of other (supposed) equine people in the area he knows or has done business with, and she's going to give them a call on Monday to see what they have to say about him.

And to whoever said to get the license number of his car, he actually walked over.

Comment

Giving names doesn't mean it's real. Con artists, or those trying to make a buck will give you names sometimes expecting you [I]won't[I]call.

I own a large piece of property - had an out-of-town logger drop by twice over the last three years giving me names of other nearby property owners whose land he had supposedly logged. I called - he lied.

It's easy enough for them to look up others, merely have a conversation (or try the same thing!) and then use them as reference. He's probably down the road passing your trainers name around now as well.
                                  But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

Did he say bush track instead of round track? Maybe they do offer plain old horse racing in parts of LA. Certainly not recognized and probably scary, but that's all I can think of!

Comment

Telephone references can be a scam too. Any one of this guy's cronies can answer the telephone and talk a good game. Don't forget that he is the person handing out the telephone numbers and references. You have to dig deeper than that.

Here's my suggestion. He said he raced Appendix Quarter Horses, correct? When I was trying to track down papers that was in possession of a trainer for one of my mares, I had to contact AQHA. They were very helpful in getting me information on the trainer's location and whereabouts. Trainers move frequently so that they can be in close proximity to the particular track where they are working, so finding this trainer wasn't easy. Even his ex-wife and adult children hadn't heard from him in years and didn't know where he was at. His own kids asked me to call them back if I was able to find him. Pretty funny in retrospect, but it was frustrating for me since I was just trying to track down my mare's papers. In any case, with the help of AQHA, I was able to find him quickly.

Here is a link to AQHA's racing affiliates listed by State who have a list of licensed trainers: http://www.aqha.com/Racing/Content-P...ffiliates.aspx

If there isn't an affiliate in your state, then contact AQHA who may be able to help you. They will be able to verify if this person's name is listed as a licensed trainer.

Sharon
                                      http://www.CoolFitWear.com
                                      Sharon
                                      https://www.ShopForPuppy.com

Comment

There is a LOT of "bush track" racing in NC, the latinos in this area are quite big in it. maybe that was what this person is associated with (which I believe is illegal)
                                        www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Working...
                                        X