• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Oaklawn Park - Arkansas Derby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oaklawn Park - Arkansas Derby

I'm tossing around the idea of taking a vacation day from work and heading down to my nearest track for their big day. That's still about a 200-mile drive, 400 round trip, but doable although a long day. I've never been there. I'm not expecting them to be Churchill, where I went to the Derby in 1987 and the BC in 1994, but just wondering about the place.

So if you've been to Oaklawn:

1. View? Do the cheap seats actually see the races?
    2. Crowds? How packed on AD day?
    3. Atmosphere/overall good place to go to the races?
    4. Horses? Subject to revision, who is planning on the Oaklawn route this year to the KD? They've had some nice horses there the last few years. This would be as close as I could get to this year's Derby.

Thanks for any input.

I can't answer your questions, but I've also been tossing around the idea of taking a weekend trip to Hot Springs for the Arkansas Derby. I've never been to Oaklawn, either. It's a bit farther from me, so I'll probably make a 2 day adventure of it.

I didn't even think about getting reserved seats or anything. I didn't realize it was that big of a deal... even for stakes races at most tracks (barring TC races, BC races, etc.), you can usually just enter under general admission and have no problem finding a good vantage point.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Take a look at their promo (from 2007) for Oaklawn as posted on youtube.com

Oaklawn 2007: Somebody's Gonna Win! (6 min)

I confess I have not been there however I'm not under any impression its a 'dodgy track' by anymeans in accomodating fans whatsoever. In fact it has a very, very healthy regular attendence figures every racing day and with that almost always comes a fun attmosphere. The Arkansas Derby, keep in mind, gets massive crowd numbers (well north of 55,000) so I'd really look into what seating options there are.

Saratoga on Travers Day in recent years has only managed (once you filter out the spinners) about 50k and it can be a difficult getting a piece of ground to stand on in the general admission areas trackside. I can't imagine what Spa would be like with a true 70k on the grounds.

Comment

never miss the chance to see a big race

You never know who you might see before they got famous.

I saw Seattle Slew race his first race as a three year old because we decided to go to Hialeah that day.

and I saw Cigar in the early part of his streak (we had gone to see Holy Bull).

ya never know.
        A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

there are LOTSSSS of people in the grandstand every race day at Oaklawn... it is a very popular place. It's kind of similar to Saratoga, in the sense that the entire town is race-horse oriented, pretty neat. Definitely something you should do if you get the shot... might be a little packed, but it's not like Derby Day or anything. As far as stock running, it's the last KY Derby Prep Race, so there will be very nice horses running in it... (i.e. Curlin last year...) I know my early pool KY derby pick is pointed for it, Golden Yank! He's the man

Comment

While I personally have never been to Oaklawn I have friends who race there and they like it.

Hope you get a chance to go and have a great time.

www.cmmbarnbrats.com
            Barn Brats Horse Themed Glassware
            www.cmmbarnbrats.com

Comment

Originally posted by Centsability View Post
              there are LOTSSSS of people in the grandstand every race day at Oaklawn... it is a very popular place. It's kind of similar to Saratoga, in the sense that the entire town is race-horse oriented, pretty neat. Definitely something you should do if you get the shot... might be a little packed, but it's not like Derby Day or anything. As far as stock running, it's the last KY Derby Prep Race, so there will be very nice horses running in it... (i.e. Curlin last year...) I know my early pool KY derby pick is pointed for it, Golden Yank! He's the man
              So would you recommend reserved seating? I always knew the place drew a good crowd. But from my understanding, it's a very large but manageable crowd, which is why I wasn't particuarly concerned about it.

I'm excited to get the chance to go. I'm glad Dressagetraks started this thread, as it's only made me more excited.
              Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

• Original Poster

I just emailed Oaklawn to ask them the reserve seating vs admission at the gate question.

I'm getting excited about this too! Haven't actually seen a race in person since the 1994 BC.

Comment

well, it depends what kind of seating you want. If you want box seats or suites, etc, etc, I would call Oaklawn right away and get the pricing and reserve a spot. Like I said, it's a very popular spot in the party town on a regular basis, but you should definitely go, you will have a blast, and not to mention, get to see some fantastic racing and fast horses in the making!

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                    I can't answer your questions, but I've also been tossing around the idea of taking a weekend trip to Hot Springs for the Arkansas Derby. I've never been to Oaklawn, either. It's a bit farther from me, so I'll probably make a 2 day adventure of it.

I didn't even think about getting reserved seats or anything. I didn't realize it was that big of a deal... even for stakes races at most tracks (barring TC races, BC races, etc.), you can usually just enter under general admission and have no problem finding a good vantage point.
                    Me, too! Never been there either, but want to go. I hear it's a lot like Saratoga.

Texarkana, I'm not far from you at all - lemme know if you want to carpool.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyFox View Post
                      I hear it's a lot like Saratoga.
                      Not entirely related to this thread but despite having gone to Saratoga all my life I'd likely give Keeneland a slight nod over Spa on a lot of points. I can only take so much of the down-state bada-bing flavor that Saratoga gets weighted down with.

Call me crazy but I do like clean restrooms, as well as the absence of pealing lead paint and no sticky floors. I prefer to wager use self-service machines but at least the Keeneland mutual clerks are less sour then the NYRA guys. [Arlington Park, from my experience, tend to have the worst] The fields are bigger, quality a tad higher, and plenty of off beat things to see at Spa but I've found the fans at Keeneland more informed, vastly more respectful, but no less interested and thrilled to be watching racing.

I don't mind, I suppose out of tradition, getting nicked for a parking fee by using someone's backyard as you do at Saratoga vs. parking for free under a lovely canopy of trees in Lexington. The hawking of almost everything at the edges of the Spa grounds is part of the atmosphere Etc, etc. I’m sure like a Pimlico on Preakness Day, Oaklawn on Derby day can be both a blast and hellish in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyFox View Post
                        Me, too! Never been there either, but want to go. I hear it's a lot like Saratoga.

Texarkana, I'm not far from you at all - lemme know if you want to carpool.
                        That sounds like a great idea. This will be fun. I hope we can all make it.

And Dressagetraks-- do pass on what you find out about reserved seating and admission. The website doesn't seem to make too much of a fuss about it.

Comment

• Original Poster

From the horse's mouth:

You do not have to purchase advance tickets it is suggested to do so, reserved seats are $4.50 each, gate admission is $2.00 each and if you park in one of Oaklawn’s parking lot it is $2.00 to park. We are extremely packed that day 50,000 to 70,000 or more. Weather permitting our infield will be open we have bleacher seats out there we also have bleacher seating outside on the apron facing the race track. Outdoor seating is free. We open that morning at 10 am the first post time is 12 noon. We will also have about 300 seats go on sale that morning if you want to wait and come look around first. I hope this helps it is a very exciting day worth coming to see.

Comment

I haven't been in years, but I used to go with my dad back in my much younger days. Hot Springs is a great town-lots to do. I loved Oaklawn. Can't tell you abou the seating but I know Derby Day is packed. Usually some good horses running in the AR derby-a few times the KY Derby winner. I was spoiled though. We had a friend with a box on the glass at the finish line who used to take pity and give us his box.

Comment

Quote:Originally Posted by Centsability
                              As far as stock running, it's the last KY Derby Prep Race, so there will be very nice horses running in it... (i.e. Curlin last year...)

UMMMMMM-- Technically the last prep for the Derby is the Bluegrass Stakes here at Keeneland
                              The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
                              Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
                              Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Comment

Ah, but the Keeneland winner almost never wins the Ky Derby.

I'm thinking about heading west myself for the Oaklawn Derby. The Arlington Hotel is already fully booked, and most motel prices double for the weekend. It's too far to drive from here to there and back in one day, so accommodations will be necessary.

Forgot to ask: is there a dress code? I went to the Blue Grass Stakes once with my cousin who had owners' seats, and we had to dress all the way up with heels, hose and hats--dresses, too.
                                "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Original Poster

A dress code? Ack. Forgetaboutit. With a 5-hour drive in that morning and home that evening, I'll be wearing my usual uniform of blue jeans and tennis shoes. I will add a horsey sweatshirt or T-shirt for the occasion, weather depending.

Must also remember to add into trip budget figures the money for program, T-shirt, commemorative mug or facsimile thereof, outrageously priced lunch and drinks, cute little model horse in the shop they no doubt have, and plenty of film for the camera. And just a little bit, no more, of betting money.

I'm going to call tomorrow and reserve a ticket, and I'll report how it's looking in terms of seating sales. Hope all remaining seats aren't way back out of sight of the finish line.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                    Forgot to ask: is there a dress code? I went to the Blue Grass Stakes once with my cousin who had owners' seats, and we had to dress all the way up with heels, hose and hats--dresses, too.
                                    It depends on where you are going. I wouldn't worry about it for grandstand seats - as long as you are basically decent, it's not a problem at any track I know - but if you have an upscale ticket for a box or dining room or will enter the paddock, ask.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just ordered a ticket, and the day is completely booked except for some single seats left scattered around. It is almost sold out already. I asked for the finish line or as close to as possible, and she found me one between the two finish lines but with a kind of wall thing in front of me, so it hadn't gone yet. Long as I can see over, I don't mind a wall.

But there are no seats together remaining, and there aren't too many singles. If you want to go, I'd call the track ASAP.

Comment

• Original Poster

Does anybody know if they saddle the horses on the turf course at Oaklawn, like they do for the Preakness? I was just watching a tape of the 2006 Ark Derby. It did not show the horses being saddled, because coverage was cutting in from another race, but at the first shot of the horses, they were circling on what looked like the turf course.

Countdown to the trip in place, and I'm definitely taking my camera. Horses against turf course would sure make for some purdy pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                        X