• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

OTTB with sore back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTTB with sore back

I just got an OTTB who came to me back-sore. Very.
    I love homeopathy and will use it on him, but do any of you "real" racing folks have suggestions (other than time off of course) to help him? The chiro adjusted him, and all is in place.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I'm not a real racing folk, but I do have a OTTB who gets sore sometimes. Handwalking helps her SO much. She'll go from "DO NOT TOUCH ME" sore (where she'll drop nearly to the ground if you run your hands down her back) to not sore AT ALL in a day or two if I take her out and hand walk her around the fields. Longeing her at the walk or riding her at the walk does not create the same relief. Ponying her at the walk may, but I don't have a pony horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

This horse has been with me on full turnout for a month now. We have backed him three times and he is still sore. He hops into a canter and won't, or can't, hold a trot. Farrier coming tomorrow to rule that out. I have him on Arnica twice a day, and it has helped.
      The Barkalicious Bakery
      On Facebook!!!

Comment

not real racing folk, but ...

I have an OTTB of my own who was sore all over, and I volunteer at an OTTB charity, where we see this freqently.

I started riding my guy in September, and purchased him a month ago. He was sore all over when he arrived at Wood End in April. We started slowly with him - groundwork, then lots of w/t under saddle. In the last two weeks - FINALLY - he's started using his back really well - stretching down beautifully on the longe, rounding under saddle. Over the last few months, I addressed a variety of issues with him - including farrier work, dental (had some big issues there) and saddle fit. In addition to buying a new saddle that is much more comforable for him, I've also been using a Thinline.

We're still primarily working on w/t and balance (though we are doing canter transitions on the longe). He's doing so well, and seeing/feeling him engage that back is wonderful. So I'd say take it slow, and check all the variables, you may either pinpoint (or wind up correcting) the issue. But as that topline builds, things will improve.

Good luck!
        Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Comment

If he was mine, I would have a massage therapist and chiro look at him. That's always been part of my rehab for the off the track horses, they all seem to come with some body soreness. It also helps ensure that you won't be getting any pain related launchings.
          "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Comment

I would have your vet go over his hocks and stifles... also test for Lymes. A round of Robaxin might also help loosen things up.

Comment

Originally posted by moonriverfarm View Post
              This horse has been with me on full turnout for a month now. We have backed him three times and he is still sore. He hops into a canter and won't, or can't, hold a trot. Farrier coming tomorrow to rule that out. I have him on Arnica twice a day, and it has helped.
              Are you saying turnout = handwalking? Because turnout doesn't do a damn thing for my mare where she's sore. Handwalking makes all the difference. It's an easy thing to try.

Comment

i would get a chiro out. i read somewhere that you should get ottb adjusted once they come off the track. bits and bite farm has a nice thing on their website about ottb and the chiro
                MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

Comment

When you got the horse, was he shod, and you took them off right away? We had a mystery lameness/back problem with an OTTB. Brought him home, pulled his shoes, and about a week later-lame! The next time the farrier was out he asked to see his old shoes. Turns out he had been wearing wedges, and as soon as we pulled the shoes, he was out of whack. We never did re shoe him, but the farrier adjusted how he trimmed to make him comfy.
                  What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

I second the robaxin and massage. The robaxin will give a jump start to relaxing the muscles. Once they're sore and tight, the pain makes them tense up and get more sore and tight, so it can be a vicious cycle.
                    In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity.—Thomas Sowell, Is Thinking Obsolete?

Comment

I have yet to run across a sore back that originated in the back. It is either feet or hocks or both most of the time. If you don't fix the original problem, nothing you do to the back is going to last.
                      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                        I have yet to run across a sore back that originated in the back. It is either feet or hocks or both most of the time. If you don't fix the original problem, nothing you do to the back is going to last.
                        ^^^^^^^^^^

More than a few OTTBs have deplorable feet (long toes with crushed, under run heels, flat soles) and quite often negative plane coffin bones as well, especially in the rear. Chiro and massage ain't gonna fix that.

Comment

sore

Originally posted by moonriverfarm View Post
                          I just got an OTTB who came to me back-sore. Very.
                          I love homeopathy and will use it on him, but do any of you "real" racing folks have suggestions (other than time off of course) to help him? The chiro adjusted him, and all is in place.
                          Along with the Chiropractor, use the massage and heat. The heat source can be hot towel packs. Also check out a company called BACK ON TRACK. They've a web site and it explains about their equine body products and they've a lot of testimonials (Michael Matz, Gary Stevens).

I also use a hand held back massager. They at first aren't too sure of it, but after a few minutes start to relax.

I usually give them a few days off after the Chiro, Massages and heat. I follow up with long walks too. I've found that they can become sore from the treatments (just like people). Trainers need to be more aware of lactic acid after hard work outs and races.
                          www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
                          Thoroughbred Training and Sales

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                            Here, here, or is it HEAR HEAR! I'd say 8 times out of ten the sore back is a result of soreness somewhere else and usually it's hocks, or stifles. I had one that we injected hocks, stifles, and all 4 ankles. He was never "girthy", but pinned his ears, bit and kicked, just when you sat the saddle on him. He also was reluctant to move forward (that is, compared to most TBs). Before the injections, I had chiropractor and massage work done and no noticeable improvement. After the injections he improved tremendously. I also put them all on a joint supplement, whether I think they need it, or not.
                            "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. He moves GREAt in the pasture and on the longe. It's under saddle (we have tried several) that hs seems sore. He had had his shoes pulled when I got him. He's probably the 20th one I've gotten and the only one with this kind of soreness. He moves around with the herd all day, but I will try handwalking also.
                              The Barkalicious Bakery
                              On Facebook!!!

Comment

Your latest post reminded me: Blush got pretty back sore when I first brought her back into work after surgery. Shoeing her behind (she was already shod up front) made her comfortable within a day or so. Just one more thing to consider.

Good luck!

Comment

This may sound silly, but perhaps a good saddle fitter should come look at how your saddle is fitting him..

Comment

Consider using a back on track blanket. I have back on track no-bows for the filling in my horse's legs and they work very well. I have never tried the blankets, but the logic behind them makes sense to me. They increase blood flow and circulation and heat. Google back on track to take a look.
                                    Hell hath no fury like a chestnut thoroughbred mare .

http://serendipity.zrkonium.net/

Comment

My OTTB was also very back sore - I had a full lameness exam done on her (though she has never been lame in the almost five years I've had her) and it turned out she has Kissing Spines . The films clearly showed the problem - of course all her other films were clean - how often does that happen for an OTTB - absolutely clean legs .

She's now my permanent pasture pet and loving it .
                                      "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

Working...
                                      X