• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Starting racing .. at 10?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting racing .. at 10?

No I'm not talking about a jockey, but rather a horse making his maiden at 10! Perhaps I should make the effort to go to Hawthorne in person tomorrow although me thinks this won't be some Hollywood feel good tale. You have to wonder what the horse will be thinking after years of not being a race horse to suddenly be expected to run.

Daily Racing Form 1-9-08 "Belated debut for 10-year-old"

Sovereign Sigh might be making his first career start in the ninth race on Friday at Hawthorne, but the horse has seen plenty of this world. That's because Sovereign Sigh makes his racing debut days after reaching the crusty age of 10.

If Sovereign Sigh somehow should step up and win, could he be labeled precocious?

Sovereign Sigh is a son of the obscure sire Harriman and the mare Lil Donna Pearce, a daughter of the equally obscure sire Mr. Cinder Man. Like Breeders' Cup Mile winner Kip Deville, Sovereign Sigh was bred in Oklahoma. The fellow that bred him, Mark Steven Osko, still owns Sovereign Sigh, and called up to Chicago last month looking for someone willing to take the horse. That someone turned out to be trainer Manny Perez.

"He's been here about three weeks," Perez said. "I don't care what people say about it. I had no problem with taking the horse. The people are excited about getting him in a race. I haven't had any trouble with him."

Sovereign Sigh had several works at Blue Ribbon Downs in Oklahoma, but the horse still was not a fit animal when he arrived at Hawthorne.

"He was a little fatter when I got him, but I put him on a strict diet," said Perez. "He has lost a lot of weight. He looked like an old warhorse when he came in - now he looks like a racehorse."

Perez said he had heard a litany of ailments that delayed Sovereign Sigh's first start: sickness at 3, bucked shins at 4, this, that, and the other thing. "But once you get them over that hump, you're good to go," said Perez.

Sovereign Sigh got in a six-furlong gate work on Jan. 4 at Hawthorne. Now, Perez sounds a lot like many trainers with more traditional first-time starters.

"This horse can run, but I wish I had one more work in him," he said.
    Best O' Luck to him - it is supposed to be a high of 35 degrees with some flurries.

Perez said he had heard a litany of ailments that delayed Sovereign Sigh's first start: sickness at 3, bucked shins at 4, this, that, and the other thing. "But once you get them over that hump, you're good to go," said Perez.
    What was his excuse for the other 6 years of his life between 4 and 10?

Best of luck to him tomorrow! They should have had put Hawthorne's 40 year old female apprentice jockey on him. That would have really made for movie of the week material if he won.

What's Illinois laws regarding horses racing over the age of 10? I know some states get screwy... horses over 10 can't run if they haven't started in X number of years, or haven't had a win in a certain timeframe, blah blah blah. I guess I'll google it...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I couldn't find any age restrictions for Illinois, so I'm assuming there aren't any.

Although I do understand now why Sovereign Sigh may have made the trip from Oklahoma to Illinois. From the Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission Rules of Racing:

325:25-1-11. Age Restrictions
      No maiden six (6) years or older shall be permitted to compete in a race with the pari-mutuel system of wagering.
      Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

this makes no sense whatsoever. dont most tracks have a rule about maidens being over a certain age ??? one would think at this point why bother ??? horse show diva dot com has a message board and a racing section
        horse show diva dot com

Comment

Maybe they wanted to make sure he had fully matured?

His works have been fairly decent & consistent.

Comment

Remember that poor horse called Zippy Chippy? Wasnt he a 9 yr old maiden who got ruled off Finger Lakes for not leaving the gate? They kept racing the poor thing.
            horse show diva dot com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by hipsdontlie View Post
              Remember that poor horse called Zippy Chippy? Wasnt he a 9 yr old maiden who got ruled off Finger Lakes for not leaving the gate? They kept racing the poor thing.
              Poor thing? I have to totally disagree and a lot of folks on this board would agree that age and even the number of starts means nothing. It is the care, soundness, and metal state of the horse which should dictate if a horse should be continued to run.

Zippy Chippy was rulled off the Finger Lakes track as he was determined to be uncompetitive. He landed a few years - and closed out - the Berkshires summer county fair races. Nothing was wrong with him running in those races. Zippy had a fan base, cheers when he ran, and never went a day without a meal or a good place to rest. He wasn't made to run for his dinner, or run into the ground and was even retired a few times. That only resulted in his depression and anger with being left in some pasture so he was brought him back. So what if he didn't win - I think the thrill for him was being part of the action.

Today he is a lead pony and stil a part "of the action".

Now on the opposite end is Dona Chepa who is 10 yrs old and not sound, not winning - not even close, and while folks in PR might think its funny it makes no sense. Again neither age nor the number of starts is pertinent, but soundness is the key.

Regarding the Hawthorne starter Sovereign Sigh I don't object to him running at 10 yrs old. A few excellent old timers have been ruled off tracks in Texas which in theory was well intended but in reality dumb. Sovereign Sigh's workouts have been decent and I assume he's passed his gate certificate, has learned to rate, and can deal with running along the rail and not running out. I just don't think suddenly they'll have found the next Exterminator picking up with the Iron Horse left off at the age of 9.

Comment

One of the biggest differences being that Zippy had 100 starts in his card-filler career, whereas to date Sovereign Sigh has done, well, zip.

Supposedly Zippy is a cranky SOB and was miserable with farm life during a try at retirement, so back to the track he went. I think he was still being used as an outrider or pony horse at FL. He was rightly banned from several tracks. Though he should have been retired a lot sooner than he was, at least his owner/trainer cares enough about him to provide a home for life, a lot more than can be said for many owners (not just in racing but ALL disciplines!) unfortunately.

Comment

All things considered, a 10 year-old maiden is more suited to life at the track than a 2 year-old.

Comment

My 2004 Racing Almanac tells me that Zippy is the second losingest horse of all time. But, he did win $30,034!!! Zippy lost 97 times out of ...it doesn't say. But the losingest horse of all time was Thrust (1950); he lost 105 times! But Zippy holds the record for the length of time he tried and failed...10 years

Interesting side note, right below that is the leading horses of all time by starts. A horse called Hiblaze (1935). He raced for 14 years and had 406 starts! Holy cow!! He won 79 times!!! Interestingly enough all the horses on this list are from the 30's, except one, 1925.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by miss_critic View Post
                      My 2004 Racing Almanac tells me that Zippy is the second losingest horse of all time. But, he did win $30,034!!! Zippy lost 97 times out of ...it doesn't say. But the losingest horse of all time was Thrust (1950); he lost 105 times!
                      The cited mare from Puerto Rico in my prior post holds the world's record for most losses. She even won a plaque for 'breaaking the record' previously held by an Aussie horse I believe.

Anhow Zippy's last race was Sep 10, 2004 and his 100th call to post. His final record 100 starts 0-8-12 earnings of $30,834

Equidaily.com's chronicled last race for Zippy

Comment

The whole Zippy Chippy thing used to piss me off royally. It's just another way of having a negative slant on racing news when someone captializing on having a life long loser made headlines.
                        That was all the local papers used to pick up on around here. You could have horses run incredible races,nada about it. There were local connections who had horses that won at bigger venues such as Saratoga, and all they would write up was ZippyFreakingChippy losing again.
                        I was glad when they retired him finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                          I couldn't find any age restrictions for Illinois, so I'm assuming there aren't any.

Although I do understand now why Sovereign Sigh may have made the trip from Oklahoma to Illinois. From the Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission Rules of Racing:

This is no longer true, each racetrack has the authority to determine eligibility and at BRD it could race.

Comment

Originally posted by gallupgirl View Post
                            This is no longer true, each racetrack has the authority to determine eligibility and at BRD it could race.
                            Ah, good to know. Thanks for the correction. Can't say I know much of anything about Oklahoma's specific racing laws aside from what was published in their online rulebook.

Comment

• Original Poster

One of Sovereign Sigh's last workouts was last Firday (1/4/08) at Hawthorne: 6 Furlongs in 1:18.20 putting him 5 out of 6 horses working at the distance

His first start was going to be at Blue Ribbon Downs (Sallisaw, OK) December 1, 2007 when he was 9-yrs old in the 1st race at 6 Furlongs but was scratched

Comment

So has he raced yet today??
                                "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Comment

I looked it up, and seem to remember post time being 5:22 or 5:27 CST.

Comment

• Original Poster

DRF results: 9th race at Hawthorne ... alas he finished last of 10 starters.

Comment

Chart says he hit the gate. That couldn't have helped.

Certainly not something one would like to see, wiping up the field's behind, but there's gotta be a certain amount of "WTF?!?!" going on in the mind of just about any first time starter regardless of age.

Comment

Here's the link to today's race.

Video
                                        "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Comment

Working...
                                        X