Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Triple Crown 2020

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post

    This absolutely! I keep thinking it might be fun to buy into one with a very minimal amount and no expectations.

    Sure would be curious to know what MyRacehorse's agreement is with the other big name players considering Authentic was probably in the chump change category for BB (I am assuming that BB had some input into his acquistion), $350,000 at KEESEP 2018.
    You can go on the MRH website and find most of that information. There were kickers involved when MRH bought in as the value of the horse was very likely to increase, which is why MRH buyers get no payback from this win. They are providing each of us with a win photo. And since "we" only own 12.5% and it's a one time payment, there is no expectation of anything other than fun. If he does well for the balance of his racing career and then at stud, we will probably recover our initial investment and maybe a bit more.
    "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
    -Richard S. Bach

    Comment


      Originally posted by snaffle1987 View Post
      i thought the MyRaceHorse.com thing was always a bit of a sham (no offense to anyone who's invested to say they own a piece). I worked some quick math over the weekend.
      He was purchase by a syndicate for $350,000.
      Of that Syndicate, MyRaceHorse and its shareholders only own a slice, they are minority owners in the horse (they own 12.5% of him).
      12.5% of his purchase price of $350,000 is $43,750 (theoretically about what MyRaceHorse.com paid in on the horse when he was purchased)

      Each share is $206.00 per to own a .001% stake in Authentic (1/1000th of a %). 12,500 shares available.
      12,500 x 206.00 = $2,575,000 in sales of shares

      2,575,000 - 43,750 (purchase of original syndicate)= $2,531,250 in money profited by MyRacehorse.com

      Shares price covers the Myracehorse.com's share of the training bills, vet costs, transport, etc.

      Granted, most investors expect the return on investment to be in his stud fees. He is a G1 winner but will not be a triple Crown Winner.
      Expect his stud fee to be in the neighborhood of $40,000.
      40,000 x 150 mares = $6,000,000 in stud fees (give or take some as this is dependent on a lot)
      12.5% (MRH.com Share in the stallion) of 6million (stud fees) = $750,000 to the myracehose.com partnership.
      Divide that by the 12,500 shares and everyone gets $60



      And that $60 per year will likely go on for several years, so my $206 might, once it gets going, pay an annual 29% return.

      Of course, horses are really almost never a good investment if you have to make money on them, and any horse person knows that. It is more for the fun of being part of it all.
      "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
      -Richard S. Bach

      Comment


        Originally posted by Unfforgettable View Post

        And that $60 per year will likely go on for several years, so my $206 might, once it gets going, pay an annual 29% return.

        Of course, horses are really almost never a good investment if you have to make money on them, and any horse person knows that. It is more for the fun of being part of it all.
        most definitely

        Comment


          Originally posted by Unfforgettable View Post
          Of course, horses are really almost never a good investment if you have to make money on them, and any horse person knows that. It is more for the fun of being part of it all.
          Was MRH part of the syndicate that bought him at KEESEP or were they able to buy in later?
          Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; John Gilliespie Magee, Jr

          Comment


            Originally posted by Unfforgettable View Post

            I'm one of those 4500 microshare holders of Authentic. Realistically there isn't a chance for ROI until after he goes to stud, as that is factored into this share, unlike most. I own a piece of six different horses through MRH, and I did it for the sheer fun of being able to watch a horse race and feel like I have some skin in the game. It's a horse....and any horse person knows that horses aren't the best investment if you want to actually make a profit.

            My $206 for my share of Authentic paid for itself in adrenaline on Saturday. The added bonus was seeing how excited my elderly parents were, watching the race and seeing "my" horse win the Kentucky Derby. As far as I'm concerned my "investment" has paid for itself and we're square. Anything else is frosting on the cake.
            That is absolutely wonderful!

            In my minds eye I can visualize how thrilled your parents must have been. Definitely worth your $206.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post

              Was MRH part of the syndicate that bought him at KEESEP or were they able to buy in later?
              I believe they bought in later.

              "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
              -Richard S. Bach

              Comment


                Unfforgettable Did you get a share of the 450K Into Mischief colt that just sold at the Fasig Tipton yearling sale? He was bought by Spendthrift and MyRaceHorse.com.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by charismaryllis View Post
                  Yeah, well they were kind of crowding the horse there...
                  THIS what I was ha-ha about.
                  Because I was thinking:
                  Ever see any horse in the winner's circle of a BIG race, where the horse is NOT being crowded/surrounded by ALL people associated with the horse?
                  You can even see it in all those happy 26 owners of an allowance horse in winners circle.

                  So. yes the abovecomment was what made me type 'ha-ha.'
                  Because it seemed to me that 'charismaryllis' was 'talking-down to me.'
                  Yes, I've been reading up and watching. Also I'd owned 2 or 3 riding horses that I trained up from weanlings, yearlings. I am not 'horse stupid'
                  I just want learn more about TB racing. I'm still waiting for my eye-surgery, put on hold --- well you all know why.

                  I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone here. I just want to learn from all of you.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Brigid View Post
                    THIS what I was ha-ha about.
                    Because I was thinking:
                    Ever see any horse in the winner's circle of a BIG race, where the horse is NOT being crowded/surrounded by ALL people associated with the horse?
                    You can even see it in all those happy 26 owners of an allowance horse in winners circle.

                    So. yes the abovecomment was what made me type 'ha-ha.'
                    Because it seemed to me that 'charismaryllis' was 'talking-down to me.'
                    Yes, I've been reading up and watching. Also I'd owned 2 or 3 riding horses that I trained up from weanlings, yearlings. I am not 'horse stupid'
                    I just want learn more about TB racing. I'm still waiting for my eye-surgery, put on hold --- well you all know why.

                    I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone here. I just want to learn from all of you.
                    It's OK. It was just that a horse going up and over and a broken wrist didn't seem funny, and horses do spook, and implying that they did so because they were trained by Baffert is a reach.

                    I have to admit I had a giggle at the replay when Baffert went down, after we knew everyone in the winners circle was OK. Falling on grass is much different than falling on a hard surface.

                    I can be spectacularly unsuccessful at expressing my thoughts and my point at times, only to realize how it reads later on. Most of us have been there.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by skydy View Post
                      Unfforgettable Did you get a share of the 450K Into Mischief colt that just sold at the Fasig Tipton yearling sale? He was bought by Spendthrift and MyRaceHorse.com.
                      It will take some time to get the deal put together and on their site. Has to go through SEC approval, etc., and I will take a look when they notify me. I already have a piece of another Into Mischief colt, Lane Way, and a filly that hasn't' run yet.....obviously I like the line.

                      "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
                      -Richard S. Bach

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Unfforgettable View Post

                        It will take some time to get the deal put together and on their site. Has to go through SEC approval, etc., and I will take a look when they notify me. I already have a piece of another Into Mischief colt, Lane Way, and a filly that hasn't' run yet.....obviously I like the line.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by skydy View Post

                          It's OK. It was just that a horse going up and over and a broken wrist didn't seem funny, and horses do spook, and implying that they did so because they were trained by Baffert is a reach.

                          I have to admit I had a giggle at the replay when Baffert went down, after we knew everyone in the winners circle was OK. Falling on grass is much different than falling on a hard surface.

                          I can be spectacularly unsuccessful at expressing my thoughts and my point at times, only to realize how it reads later on. Most of us have been there.
                          Thank you. Me too! I cannot seem to put in to typed words what I want to say. Me? a verbal klutz as well.
                          No, the broken wrist was not funny in the least.
                          The comment of crowding the colt, was what made me laugh--they are always crowded in winner circle of big race.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Brigid View Post
                            Thank you. Me too! I cannot seem to put in to typed words what I want to say. Me? a verbal klutz as well.
                            No, the broken wrist was not funny in the least.
                            The comment of crowding the colt, was what made me laugh--they are always crowded in winner circle of big race.
                            Actually that kind of crowding is very unusual, even in the big races. There's a protocol to where people stand in a winner's circle. The owners are always off to the left side--there may be a lot of them, but they spread out in the direction away from where the horse is standing. The two people closest to the horse are its groom (who is holding the reins) and its trainer who is usually beside the horse's hip.

                            The crowd around Authentic was kind of crazy. Even without the streamers coming down from the blanket of roses it would have been a likely place for an accident to happen.
                            www.laurienberenson.com

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by frugalannie View Post
                              I'm glad he was scratched. I have never seen him IRL, but the two video clips above made me concerned that he had an occult problem in high hind end (pelvis or sacrum). I'm not a vet, that was strictly a gut feel, but I wasn't looking forward to seeing him run just in case.
                              After a thorough going-over by Dr. Larry Bramlage at Rood and Riddle, Finnick the Fierce was found to have had a slightly enlarged proximal suspensory ligament with no fiber disruption (strain, not tear).

                              He'll be getting a month off, injury should not be career-ending. He can resume full training in October, unknown at this point when his next start might be.

                              Glad to read they found it and that it doesn't appear to be serious.

                              https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ick-the-fierce
                              Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; John Gilliespie Magee, Jr

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post

                                After a thorough going-over by Dr. Larry Bramlage at Rood and Riddle, Finnick the Fierce was found to have had a slightly enlarged proximal suspensory ligament with no fiber disruption (strain, not tear).

                                He'll be getting a month off, injury should not be career-ending. He can resume full training in October, unknown at this point when his next start might be.

                                Glad to read they found it and that it doesn't appear to be serious.

                                https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ick-the-fierce
                                So glad he was scratched, and so glad they id'd the issue. FTH has the advantage of being a high-caliber horse who has a caring team and who, because it was the KD, was under the microscope. If he were a cheap claimer in a low-life barn, he could be dead lame or even dead by now.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Maythehorsebewithme View Post
                                  So glad he was scratched, and so glad they id'd the issue. FTH has the advantage of being a high-caliber horse who has a caring team and who, because it was the KD, was under the microscope. If he were a cheap claimer in a low-life barn, he could be dead lame or even dead by now.
                                  I know that the upper caliber horses get more scrutiny which is even tighter for the big races that would be on national TV (say NBC, Kentucky Derby, BC, etc).

                                  I do believe that there are caring owners, trainers, vets at the lower levels but maybe something very minor such as what Finnick the Fierce had may not have been noticed or just written off.

                                  Dead lame, I would hope any state vet would keep the horse out of any starting gate. However, if the suspensory progressed to a tear, could have been career ending or if the suspensory failed completely during a race, catastrophic

                                  Just glad we didn't have another Mongolian Groom - he really broke my heart in the BC Classic.
                                  Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; John Gilliespie Magee, Jr

                                  Comment


                                    Buh-bye to Maryland, My Maryland....
                                    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
                                    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
                                    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by Maythehorsebewithme View Post
                                      So glad he was scratched, and so glad they id'd the issue. FTH has the advantage of being a high-caliber horse who has a caring team and who, because it was the KD, was under the microscope. If he were a cheap claimer in a low-life barn, he could be dead lame or even dead by now.
                                      www.laurienberenson.com

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post

                                        I know that the upper caliber horses get more scrutiny which is even tighter for the big races that would be on national TV (say NBC, Kentucky Derby, BC, etc).

                                        I do believe that there are caring owners, trainers, vets at the lower levels but maybe something very minor such as what Finnick the Fierce had may not have been noticed or just written off.

                                        Dead lame, I would hope any state vet would keep the horse out of any starting gate. However, if the suspensory progressed to a tear, could have been career ending or if the suspensory failed completely during a race, catastrophic

                                        Just glad we didn't have another Mongolian Groom - he really broke my heart in the BC Classic.
                                        I guess I was not clear in what I wrote.

                                        I meant that he got greater scrutiny because he was a Derby horse. His people seem to be wonderfully caring. If he was a low level horse with uncaring owners (and uncaring owners occur at all levels--when I said low life owners, I meant uncaring), I think he might not have been checked out the way he was, identifying the ligament strain. He might have run on the strain, which could have turned into a rupture, which could have turned into a catastrophic injury.

                                        I too never want another Mongolian Groom situation. Horses get injured, yes, but ideally, in a perfect world, if they show something, anything ahead of time they are scratched.

                                        Comment


                                          Honor A.P. retired, we will see who is next to retire.
                                          https://www.paulickreport.com/news/b...aDyNIqeEaDzt9E
                                          Last edited by JohannaStk; Sep. 14, 2020, 03:57 PM.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X