Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Closing Argument, D'Wildcat among 4 Stallions being dispersed by auction 10/27/19 in Louisiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaffle1987 View Post

actually, no. you're making assumptions and reading what you want to hear written in my posts because you don't want to hear it. You can continue to operate with your head stuck in the sand and your entire industry can and will dissolve into thin air or you can acknowledge that change needs to happen and the industry needs to be more transparent in order to keep fans and continue to gain fans. If you don't; PETA will have its way with your businesses and every person who has access to a smartphone or computer will take what they read as truth.

NO one wants to hear these sentiments but if the industry wants to survive and get out of continuing spiral of decline; something needs to happen. Shipping off Derby runners and low end broodmares to slaughter or slaughter sales isn't exactly going to build a fan base but these stories riddle our facebook newsfeeds and leave a negative impression on lots of people; public and horse-people alike.

The problem with your post is you're one of the good ones and the good ones far outweig the bad and no one hears your story because PETA and its entire plan has drowned you out in the media to further their agenda. That was the entire purpose of my post. But it went straight over your head.

I sincerely hope all of these horses get a soft landing. I cant imagine bringing consignments here knowing where they end up. But with so many rescue operations around today, its sad to me that this farm sought no assistance.
    The horses will be “fine.” This is a regional Thoroughbred consignment, not a backwoods livestock auction.

You make some points which are not untrue. But your tone, when combined with the hyperbole and misconceptions that litter your arguments, makes it hard to even consider your viewpoint.

Your posts aren’t going “straight over” the heads of people. Knowledgeable horsemen and women who are active in the industry are saying your strong opinions are incorrect. It’s not a matter of you delivering hard truths that are met with selective hearing; your take on the situation is almost entirely inaccurate.

You did not invent the idea that aftercare of thoroughbreds is a major issue. Nor is it any earth-shattering revelation that some states, like Louisiana, have more pressing welfare concerns than affluent markets. In the past two decades, significant actions have been taken to address such problems. Is there still room for improvement? Absolutely. Yet a farm’s breeding stock being dispersed through an annual industry consignment sale has almost nothing to do with that fact.

I think it goes without saying that anyone taking the time to read this thread wants the best for each and every one of these horses being sold, as we would want for any horse. I’m not really sure what else you expect. A breeding farm is downsizing/getting out of the business and selling their stock through an appropriate venue. I mean, that’s horses. It happens even in the best of economic climates.
    Last edited by Texarkana; Oct. 19, 2019, 01:12 AM.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I have never seen those quotes on the racing forum. this isn't PETA. Some of us just feel improvement needs to be made within if there is any hope of the sport surviving. But there are many in the industry who refuse to wake up to that revelation. Whether you want to hear it or not; the publics perception of an industry is now developed based on what they read online and in news outlets.
      Doesn't mean that what they read is right but they accept it as fact. How do you think PETA and other animal rights activists have been so successful in altering peoples incorrect and negative assumptions of the food industry. You guys are just the next ring on the totem pole for those whackadoodles to attack and they have a very large pull in the media. So button up your britches and start educating the public or improving decades old-accepted ways of doing things to better the public perception. I will tell you first hand that as an industry, you cant just sit on the way side with the opinion that you know more because you're involved and brush off the general publics incorrect opinion based on what they read. If you want to take that route; prepare for your demise.

Louisiana and Oklahoma breeding establishments have been rather hard knocking areas. The amount of TB's heading direct to slaughter from those areas is well known. Many of them disappear but a fair number of them appear in facebook posts or other forms of Social Media to try and save them. The sheer number of them available and showing up on the kill lots in these areas is staggering. I am sure texas and/or Louisiana is right up there too. Relatively easy access to this shipping lots on the texas border. It is very sad.

Lets be honest and truthful, These areas are not breeding the 1 million dollar yearlings. or even 200,000 yearlings. They've invested in some nice stallions that didn't fit in in KY which is great but its only one side of the coin. The fact of the matter is that most of the mares being bred in these areas are not the cream of the crop. And they're not producing the cream of the crop (on average). It's an entirely different demographic of breeding. And I am not saying its a bad thing; there's all different types needed to make the world go around. But its an entirely different business model than what people have accepted as the norm in KY. It's very hard to breed and raise a foal to turn a profit in todays economy and world. When you're breeding average offspring; the margin gets even more difficult to reach.

It just goes to prove that no matter the history on some of these horses; they can end up in bad places and they will end up in bad places. Lets just be thankful they appeared on an internet auction site instead of being dispersed in the local sale barn where they would've disappeared under the radar (which happens more often than not).

GO BUY A HORSE ALREADY.

Get down off your soapbox and get into the business. This is the perfect opportunity for you to pick up a horse - even a stallion!!! - dirt cheap and show us all how it's done.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

GO BUY A HORSE ALREADY.

Get down off your soapbox and get into the business. This is the perfect opportunity for you to pick up a horse - even a stallion!!! - dirt cheap and show us all how it's done.
        Pot...Kettle.....

Remind me Palm Beach have you ever given us a single detail to prove (or disprove) all your adventures in race horse ownership???

Go ahead find a name......we'll wait.

Em
        "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post

Pot...Kettle.....

Remind me Palm Beach have you ever given us a single detail to prove (or disprove) all your adventures in race horse ownership???

Go ahead find a name......we'll wait.

Em
          I’ll be the first to admit I have not a lick of creativity. And I really don’t give a damn what you think. Wait, are you upset because I posted that you should not put Rocket into race training because she won’t amount to much and I was right? Aw, sorry honey.

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post

The horses will be “fine.” This is a regional Thoroughbred consignment, not a backwoods livestock auction.

You make some points which are not untrue. But your tone, when combined with the hyperbole and misconceptions that litter your arguments, makes it hard to even consider your viewpoint.

Your posts aren’t going “straight over” the heads of people. Knowledgeable horsemen and women who are active in the industry are saying your strong opinions are incorrect. It’s not a matter of you delivering hard truths that are met with selective hearing; your take on the situation is almost entirely inaccurate.

You did not invent the idea that aftercare of thoroughbreds is a major issue. Nor is it any earth-shattering revelation that some states, like Louisiana, have more pressing welfare concerns than affluent markets. In the past two decades, significant actions have been taken to address such problems. Is there still room for improvement? Absolutely. Yet a farm’s breeding stock being dispersed through an annual industry consignment sale has almost nothing to do with that fact.

I think it goes without saying that anyone taking the time to read this thread wants the best for each and every one of these horses being sold, as we would want for any horse. I’m not really sure what else you expect. A breeding farm is downsizing/getting out of the business and selling their stock through an appropriate venue. I mean, that’s horses. It happens even in the best of economic climates.
            no they wont be fine. Just because it is a regional sale doesn't mean horses end up in pretty pastures. Have you not seen the results from this sale from years past? Horses regularly sell for $500 and it is the norm. It is known that KB are welcomed at this sale and I am sure quite a few end up in the hands of them so their sellers can wipe their hands clean of the ones they no longer want.

I am sure the stallions noted will be fine. they are well known, well bred, and have great track records. Certain organizations have already been notified to take them in if needed. But they have their fame going for them. What about the rest of the so-called "garbage" consigned to that sale which can barely make a bid. They don't welcome KB to this sale for no-reason. And that commentary did not come from me, but elsewhere in this thread.

Comment

Original Poster

palmbeach LOL uh no dear. Some of us have confirmed credibility being involved with good barns with real numbers and such. I don't give a flying fig what you think of a horse I bought on a whim for $3500. What I do care about is you CONSTANTLY judging others, myself included, without putting your actual credentials forward for all to at least see what you do/did. Your fantastical posted win percentages have NEVER been verified.

You can think it's horrible to be in the public eye but you lay out judgement over and over and expect no one to notice that you've never put yourself forward.

snaffle1987 probably knows more in their part of the racing world than you. So why you're telling them what to do us beyond me. But it's you....so not a shock.

Em
              "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

GO BUY A HORSE ALREADY.

the fact that you continue to make posts about this towards me is borderline laughable. You ASSume that I don't own horses, never mind a racehorse(s), or have any experience in this genre. Its laughable really. Keep ASSuming. I like it. For all you know, I could have a stable of 20 throughout the year and a be a multiple graded stakes winner. Maybe I have a stable of 3 and race locally to my home with a few decent horses to keep my heart entertained. Maybe I do, Maybe I don't. Palm Beach, the internet owes you nothing. I owe you nothing. The nice thing about message boards is screen names exist for a reason and I intend to continue to operate in anonymity for good reason.

Cheers.

Comment

no they wont be fine. Just because it is a regional sale doesn't mean horses end up in pretty pastures. Have you not seen the results from this sale from years past? Horses regularly sell for $500 and it is the norm. It is known that KB are welcomed at this sale and I am sure quite a few end up in the hands of them so their sellers can wipe their hands clean of the ones they no longer want.

I am sure the stallions noted will be fine. they are well known, well bred, and have great track records. Certain organizations have already been notified to take them in if needed. But they have their fame going for them. What about the rest of the so-called "garbage" consigned to that sale which can barely make a bid. They don't welcome KB to this sale for no-reason. And that commentary did not come from me, but elsewhere in this thread.
                  I put "fine" with deliberate quotation marks because every time you sell a horse, there is a risk. There is no one on the planet who does not realize that.

Yes, I have seen the results from past years. Yes, a lot of horses receive no bid or sell for $500. Horses also sell for as much as $50K.

Whispering Oaks is selling 16 (?) horses. Two of them, the subjects of this post, are graded stakes winning former leading sires in Louisiana who will undoubtedly find a breeding situation, or attract attention of a good samaritan at very least. Their broodmares are all selling with a 2020 season to one of the two sires that Whispering Oaks appears to be retaining. Most are selling in foal. While I think there is a level of hell for people who consign aged broodmares, Whispering Oaks did the best thing they could by selling them in foal with a free season for next year. All but one of the yearlings they are selling are by Kentucky sires and have stronger-than-average catalog pages for this type of sale. Then you have their other stallions and a couple weanlings from the first crop of their new sire.

If you want to make a stink about something, make a stink about some of the other consigners selling "worthless" horses. Like Hip 112, who is 14 years of age and barren. No one wants a 14 year old failed broodmare, even if she is from the family of Tapit through her 3rd dam.
                  Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Original Poster

If you want to make a stink about something, make a stink about some of the other consigners selling "worthless" horses. Like Hip 112, who is 14 years of age and barren. No one wants a 14 year old failed broodmare, even if she is from the family of Tapit through her 3rd dam.

Oh I bet someone would be interested in that for sport. Someone who's friends with or is able to use a good repro vet.

Em

Comment

Oh I bet someone would be interested in that for sport. Someone who's friends with or is able to use a good repro vet.

Em
                      I would not want to mess with any mare with that type of produce record period. 1 unraced foal, 5 years of no report, and currently open... with her type of family, that's red flags galore. But if you know someone, please put the word out for her sake!

Comment

I put "fine" with deliberate quotation marks because every time you sell a horse, there is a risk. There is no one on the planet who does not realize that.

Yes, I have seen the results from past years. Yes, a lot of horses receive no bid or sell for $500. Horses also sell for as much as $50K.

Whispering Oaks is selling 16 (?) horses. Two of them, the subjects of this post, are graded stakes winning former leading sires in Louisiana who will undoubtedly find a breeding situation, or attract attention of a good samaritan at very least. Their broodmares are all selling with a 2020 season to one of the two sires that Whispering Oaks appears to be retaining. Most are selling in foal. While I think there is a level of hell for people who consign aged broodmares, Whispering Oaks did the best thing they could by selling them in foal with a free season for next year. All but one of the yearlings they are selling are by Kentucky sires and have stronger-than-average catalog pages for this type of sale. Then you have their other stallions and a couple weanlings from the first crop of their new sire.

I think you need to understand that I was not the one to start this thread. Merely pointing out that no horse, regardless of record, is immune to such fates. These stallions will land safely, I am sure. But many at this sale will not end up with such nice fates

I own a retiree who went through an on-track sale of racing age horses. Was a skimpy little sale of 10-20 horses in the shed row at one of the lower level tracks in this country. Many of the horses run through the "sale" were bought for kill, sent back to the kill lot not far from the track and disappeared. They were older horses, hard knockers, minimal wins. I knew of one of the horses personally and I was tipped off about her being sold that day. She was extremely well bred and well raced in her early career for one of the premier racing establishments in the country but for 5 years she fell to the bottom and stayed there. I couldn't stand to see her end up in bad hands so I took her home that day for under $1000. She was sound and could've continued racing but decided after 9 years she had seen enough. Some horses did find homes with other trainers that day; most did not. I was convinced this was a sale held as a way to potentially dispose of some horses without them getting "caught" at the local sale barn which had high surveillance by animal activists. They were still sold on site at the track which allowed them to leave the premises as they did but they were never seen again.

It's a sad world out there. Some people are better than others. At least in this country we have avenues to help these horses if we can and alert those organizations that can help. These stallions and broodmares sent to Japan, China, Korea, Russia, Puerto Rico etc don't always end up with similar fates. That's why I couldn't ever breed anything myself and then put it through the sales ring and risk them being sold to a country like that. If I am going to breed, I breed to race and that is it; no running them through the sales arena. I couldn't stomach that if the horse I bred and raised went across the pond either directly from the sale I sent it to or if it was resold as a 2 yr old in training sale.

Comment

the fact that you continue to make posts about this towards me is borderline laughable. You ASSume that I don't own horses, never mind a racehorse(s), or have any experience in this genre. Its laughable really. Keep ASSuming. I like it. For all you know, I could have a stable of 20 throughout the year and a be a multiple graded stakes winner. Maybe I have a stable of 3 and race locally to my home with a few decent horses to keep my heart entertained. Maybe I do, Maybe I don't. Palm Beach, the internet owes you nothing. I owe you nothing. The nice thing about message boards is screen names exist for a reason and I intend to continue to operate in anonymity for good reason.

Cheers.
                          What a stupid post. You are not involved in racing at all.

Comment

Nice.
                            And, as you know, there are a bunch of folks here who don't believe you about anything, either.

Carry on.
                            When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
                            www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
                            http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think you need to understand that I was not the one to start this thread.
                              I'm sorry, were these words not yours?

Shipping off Derby runners and low end broodmares to slaughter or slaughter sales isn't exactly going to build a fan base but these stories riddle our facebook newsfeeds and leave a negative impression on lots of people; public and horse-people alike.
                              You flat out said we are shipping Derby runners and low end broodmares to slaughter or slaughter sales. I was countering your statement by acknowledging that is not the situation AT ALL. Your are distorting the story. This is a regional sale for thoroughbreds of mixed ages; the appropriate market for selling LA-bred stock. Yes, it is unfortunate that some of these horses have so little value that minimum bids are woefully low, which attracts the type of people who buy cheap horses. I agree with you that the low end of the thoroughbred market is a problem; but this also isn't a problem unique to thoroughbreds. Over-breeding/poorly conceived breeding occurs in every single registry. It's far more complicated than this particular incidence.

Merely pointing out that no horse, regardless of record, is immune to such fates. These stallions will land safely, I am sure. But many at this sale will not end up with such nice fates

I own a retiree who went through an on-track sale of racing age horses. Was a skimpy little sale of 10-20 horses in the shed row at one of the lower level tracks in this country. Many of the horses run through the "sale" were bought for kill, sent back to the kill lot not far from the track and disappeared. They were older horses, hard knockers, minimal wins. I knew of one of the horses personally and I was tipped off about her being sold that day. She was extremely well bred and well raced in her early career for one of the premier racing establishments in the country but for 5 years she fell to the bottom and stayed there. I couldn't stand to see her end up in bad hands so I took her home that day for under $1000. She was sound and could've continued racing but decided after 9 years she had seen enough. Some horses did find homes with other trainers that day; most did not. I was convinced this was a sale held as a way to potentially dispose of some horses without them getting "caught" at the local sale barn which had high surveillance by animal activists. They were still sold on site at the track which allowed them to leave the premises as they did but they were never seen again.

It's a sad world out there. Some people are better than others. At least in this country we have avenues to help these horses if we can and alert those organizations that can help. These stallions and broodmares sent to Japan, China, Korea, Russia, Puerto Rico etc don't always end up with similar fates. That's why I couldn't ever breed anything myself and then put it through the sales ring and risk them being sold to a country like that. If I am going to breed, I breed to race and that is it; no running them through the sales arena. I couldn't stomach that if the horse I bred and raised went across the pond either directly from the sale I sent it to or if it was resold as a 2 yr old in training sale.
                              You are "merely pointing out" things that everyone already knows, and being quite rude about it. I understand you feel passionately about the topic, but you're also denigrating people's livelihoods without consideration for the entire picture.

I guarantee you that every single person reading this thread has a story about a "rescued" thoroughbred or a thoroughbred who met an unfortunate fate. You are not unique. You are not telling us anything we don't know.

You come across like everyone in racing is in the wrong; that everyone is a bad guy and no one is listening to you. My question is for you is: what are your proposed solutions? Because everyone who is actually involved in the sport understands that this is a complicated problem that cannot be corrected overnight; yet you seem to believe otherwise.

Comment

Please tell us when you actually do something like breeding in the real world. I'd love to be the proverbial fly on the wall when our scolding paragon finds out that things can get a little complicated when a person actually has to be responsible for the decisions they make. It gets even more real when things don't work out quite the way someone planned it out in their head.

Maybe then a little empathy might creep in.

Comment

you do not have a clue. wink, wink. carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB Stars View Post

Nice.
                                    And, as you know, there are a bunch of folks here who don't believe you about anything, either.

Carry on.
                                    Sure. Like how a path gets ground into a shedrow from horses walking around and around, and needs to be leveled and raked every morning after training, and it's rude to walk down the middle of someone's freshly raked shedrow. Or how leather bridles were hung up with keepers and loops undone after training (before the biothane era). When the vet comes to treat a horse and no one is in the barn, the vet leaves the halter on the horse to show he/she treated the horse. Or what color wax is used to seal urine sample jars. And you had to get the overnight from the gate guard before the internet era. And that payphones were locked up when racing started, back in the day where there were pay phones. Or what it's like to gallop a horse in the hacienda at Bowie, or in the woods. Back in the early 1990s, the freelance rate for galloping a horse was $10, and you got $20 for a really bad one. Old Eddie Blind would tell dirty jokes while you stood in the gate waiting to break in the morning. Gee, this stuff is really easy to google, huh.

Comment

Original Poster

I never said you had no clue. (I know you're not accusing me of that...yet) But you've also had this really successful record that no one has ever verified.

FYI, not that many barns at Bowie were meticulously raked in my era there. Sure they weren't as bad as the cliffs at Charlestown barns. Those made skater parks seem like child's play.

Dirty jokes on the backside of any track go hand in hand. As does what would now be referred to as the the #metoo movement.

The Hacienda at Bowie isn't great but Jerkens barn at Belmont with a full load of 12 galloping at once in the winter is really an adrenaline kick. A bit better than Bowie with the fatal cement walls.

Em

Comment

I never said you had no clue. (I know you're not accusing me of that...yet) But you've also had this really successful record that no one has ever verified.

FYI, not that many barns at Bowie were meticulously raked in my era there. Sure they weren't as bad as the cliffs at Charlestown barns. Those made skater parks seem like child's play.

Dirty jokes on the backside of any track go hand in hand. As does what would now be referred to as the the #metoo movement.

The Hacienda at Bowie isn't great but Jerkens barn at Belmont with a full load of 12 galloping at once in the winter is really an adrenaline kick. A bit better than Bowie with the fatal cement walls.

Em
                                        Bowie was my first track, and since then I’ve been up and down the East Coast major tracks except Belmont, and west to Keeneland. The past couple years I’ve been a minority partner in a couple decent horses, but my name does not go in the program. I worked on the backside for many years but stopped galloping in the mid 1990s and have just been an owner since then. I could give you my name, but I race any thing owned 50% or more by me run under a stable name, and the rest race under the majority partners name. A hint - I am fb friends with at least 3 people on this board.

Comment

You flat out said we are shipping Derby runners and low end broodmares to slaughter or slaughter sales. I was countering your statement by acknowledging that is not the situation AT ALL. Your are distorting the story. This is a regional sale for thoroughbreds of mixed ages; the appropriate market for selling LA-bred stock. Yes, it is unfortunate that some of these horses have so little value that minimum bids are woefully low, which attracts the type of people who buy cheap horses. I agree with you that the low end of the thoroughbred market is a problem; but this also isn't a problem unique to thoroughbreds. Over-breeding/poorly conceived breeding occurs in every single registry. It's far more complicated than this particular incidence.

You are "merely pointing out" things that everyone already knows, and being quite rude about it. I understand you feel passionately about the topic, but you're also denigrating people's livelihoods without consideration for the entire picture.

I guarantee you that every single person reading this thread has a story about a "rescued" thoroughbred or a thoroughbred who met an unfortunate fate. You are not unique. You are not telling us anything we don't know.

You come across like everyone in racing is in the wrong; that everyone is a bad guy and no one is listening to you. My question is for you is: what are your proposed solutions? Because everyone who is actually involved in the sport understands that this is a complicated problem that cannot be corrected overnight; yet you seem to believe otherwise.
                                          Well said, Texarkana.

snaffle - you seem to pride yourself on your "superiority" and "expertise" in every aspect of racing... and yet when you post merely to stir the pot and try and light fires (as is your wont) and seem to despise anything to do with racing and sneer about it... you are going to get push back.

I wonder how many of the racing keyboard warriors (OMG!! OUTRAGE!!! this and OMG!! HORRORS!! that) have ever been on the backside in the early hours of the morning working their asses off.... or running on about an hour of sleep a night during foaling season... or actually been out there Doing... as opposed to pointing and lecturing and tapping at a keyboard in indignation about how stupid the rest of us are...

They do not have a clue. Wink, wink. Carry on...

Comment

Working...
                                          X