Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Concerned About Preakness Gate/Start 'Incident'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other that the 'coincidence' of horses being horses in two very visible to the public on TV races, IMO, nothing to see here, move along.

Maximum Security drifted, was DQd and set down behind the last horse he was deemed to have interfered with.

Bodexpress bucked coming out of the gate and was not ruled a non-started.

Both situations happen in racing, it's just that the majority of the time, no one other than people watching the track feeds or in person, ever see either case.
    Maybe the reason I love animals so much is because the only time they have broken my heart is when they've crossed that rainbow bridge

Comment

The outrider who caught Bodexpress speaks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FBKRo15efM

Comment

Originally posted by Joanne View Post

Wow! I had no idea how it ended, with him in the middle of the scene with the horses coming back, people on foot, etc.

Awesome horseperson!

Comment

Originally posted by Joanne View Post

Great video!!! Glad she was able to get him safely and her horse certainly is handy!
          Kick On

Comment

Originally posted by Maythehorsebewithme View Post

Wow! I had no idea how it ended, with him in the middle of the scene with the horses coming back, people on foot, etc.

Awesome horseperson!
            Exactly, people really don't understand how dangerous a loose horse can be. Tabasco Cat ruined Jeff Lukas' life.
            "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

Exactly, people really don't understand how dangerous a loose horse can be. Tabasco Cat ruined Jeff Lukas' life.
              A 1200 lb unguided missle!

Comment

• Original Poster

Um. Was Bode-horse (can't see or recall full name.Sorry!) was he really a maiden?
                Who the fried fritters put a maiden horse in the Preakness?

Comment

Yes, he was a maiden.

Although maidens have actually won classic races before. Most notably Sir Barton, first Triple Crown winner, who never won a race prior to his Derby. He was supposed to be the rabbit for his stablemate in the Derby, but he never stopped. He then won the Preakness only four days later, with shipping in between, AND had a workout in between over the Pimlico track to get used to it, too. They don't make 'em like they used to.
                  Now available in Kindle as well as print: C-Sharp Minor: My Mother's Seventeen-Year Journey through Dementia. 10% of my proceeds will be donated to the Alzheimer's Association.

Comment

Originally posted by Brigid View Post
                    Um. Was Bode-horse (can't see or recall full name.Sorry!) was he really a maiden?
                    Who the fried fritters put a maiden horse in the Preakness?
                    The Preakness was Bodexpress's 7th race and 3rd G1. After running in 4 MSWs, he ran in the Florida Derby and Kentucky Derby before trying his 'hat' in the Preakness.
                    Maybe the reason I love animals so much is because the only time they have broken my heart is when they've crossed that rainbow bridge

Comment

FWIW, today (5/23) in Race 2 (Maiden Claiming) at Penn National, the 3 horse, Bayside, refused to break. Penn National had a head-on and pan view.

I felt bad for the jock as he's kicking and smacking Bayside and the horse is just standing in the gate with the gate doors open. Everyone else is running down the track. Jock finally gets Bayside moving and goes about a furlong at a leisurely canter.

Bayside is a 2015 model with 3 races this year under his belt. Horses just sometimes don't do what you want them to.

Comment

Do you think that Bayside was trying to tell his trainer something??? (wink)

Comment

One of the times I was at Oaklawn for the Ark Derby, one horse did that. Not in the Derby itself but an undercard race. Just stood there. The horse had won recently, too. The announcer said that the stewards had checked to make sure no gate malfunction, but the gate opened fine, so no refunds on that horse. He just didn't want to play that day. Guy near me had bet on that horse and was ticked.
                          Now available in Kindle as well as print: C-Sharp Minor: My Mother's Seventeen-Year Journey through Dementia. 10% of my proceeds will be donated to the Alzheimer's Association.

Comment

Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post
                            Yes, he was a maiden.

Although maidens have actually won classic races before. Most notably Sir Barton, first Triple Crown winner, who never won a race prior to his Derby. He was supposed to be the rabbit for his stablemate in the Derby, but he never stopped. He then won the Preakness only four days later, with shipping in between, AND had a workout in between over the Pimlico track to get used to it, too. They don't make 'em like they used to.
                            Must be some better examples then something from 140? years ago...the rules they ran under and their enforcement was quite different then today. As was the general public’s feelings about animal welfare in general.
                            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post

Must be some better examples then something from 140? years ago...the rules they ran under and their enforcement was quite different then today. As was the general public’s feelings about animal welfare in general.
                              Sir Barton is a lousy example as history reports him as running “coked to the eyeballs” due to shelly feet.

When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
                              www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
                              http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

A late PS. In racing, a maiden is a horse that hasn't won, not a horse that hasn't raced (a clarification just in case ).

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post

Sir Barton won the Triple Crown in 1919, so 100, not 140 years ago. If you want to know about racing in that era, read the Blister Jones stories. Warning they were written in the early 1900s so not politically correct but great horse racing stories.

Comment

I believe the only other maiden to win the Derby was Brokers Tip in 1933. Like Sir Barton, his owner entered him as a pacemaker for the more highly regarded Head Play.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
                                      The Preakness was 's 7th race and 3rd G1. After running in 4 MSWs, he ran in the Florida Derby and Kentucky Derby before trying his 'hat' in the Preakness.
                                      Thank for the clarification.
                                      I read on 'pedigreequery.com' That he'd had a 2nd in FL derby. Yes, I am aware that PQ-online is not so reliable.
                                      But I don't know of any other TB pedigree and race records sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Brigid View Post
                                        But I don't know of any other TB pedigree and race records sites.
                                        For TBs, I use http://www.equibase.com

Race entries, results, limited pedigree IIRC for free. Plus I use their 'virtual stable' feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Mara View Post
                                          I believe the only other maiden to win the Derby was Brokers Tip in 1933. Like Sir Barton, his owner entered him as a pacemaker for the more highly regarded Head Play.
                                          And Aristides was sent out as the "rabbit" to the favorite Chesapeake.
                                          Rack on!

Comment

Working...
                                          X