• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

People and buying saddles on Internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People and buying saddles on Internet

Ok I finally broke down and purchased a western pleasure training saddle over the Internet. Spoke with the buyer and got pictures and everything. I was really excited about the purchase because I thought the saddle was perfect for me. It was advertised as a 16 inch saddle but when I received it is actually a 16 1/2 seat which is too big for me. I can't believe how people can mispresent the facts.

Please don't anyone post a comment stating that perhsps the seller didn't know the actual seat size. I reallly don't know see how a knowledgeable horse person could own a saddle for several years and not know what size it it.

Sure you can own a saddle for several years and not know what size it is. For - count em - 10 years, I thought my old-as-crap first saddle was 17.5". That's what it SAYS, and I had no reason to doubt it. Upon actual measurement it's 17", possibly closer to 16.5" than anything. Didn't discover that until 10 years later when I had the measuring tape out for another saddle and thought "hey, why don't I measure Old-As-Crap Saddle just for fun?" I wouldn't describe myself as the world's foremost expert on all things horsey, but I'm no idiot either.

It's also highly possible the seller measured incorrectly... happens all the time.

Have you contacted the seller of this saddle to see what they have to say? I'd stay away from being confrontational or you're likely to get an equally confrontational response, and that will just anger both of you.

Comment

Frankly, it's very difficult to measure a saddle accurately to within a half inch.
      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I have purchased all my saddles on the internet out of necessity , mostly on ebay. Have the seller send a photo with the tape measure actually on- so you can see HOW they measure it. Best a metal one rather than sewing type measures, which stretch. It is always a crap shoot since you don't get to sit in it first. Some , but very few, will agree to take it back if it doesn't fit.
        It is important to do your homework first on brands, using manufacturers web sites for information about the specifications, sizing, tree types and sizes. But I do have one notoriously misrepresented saddle!

Comment

Originally posted by lightlee View Post
          I can't believe how people can mispresent the facts.

Please don't anyone post a comment stating that perhsps the seller didn't know the actual seat size. I reallly don't know see how a knowledgeable horse person could own a saddle for several years and not know what size it it.

Well aren't you precious.

Seat size measurements aren't all that precise. Knowledgeable horse people *cough* know to ask for a photo showing how the seller measured the used saddle they're thinking of buying online.

Comment

• Original Poster

Western saddles are much easier to measure than English. Also the serial number on the saddle states the size. My bad for not checking on that.

Comment

• Original Poster

This particular brand of Western saddle has a serial number that clearly states the seat size. Of course, my bad for not checking this. I realize that most English saddle do not have this information printed within the serial number. (Or it is not a least as readily available) Pictures of measuring tapes on a Western saddle saddle can be very deceiving as to actual size depending on how you hold the measuring tape. Less varation on the English saddle.

I actually did email the seller. I told them the unfortunately the saddle was too big for me and and asked if she could forward me her waiting list of people that wanted to purchase the saddle. I have not heard anything back for her.

Comment

I don't see the big deal with half an inch...I've also read plenty of ads where they say the saddle as marked as one size, but fits more like X size, so I wouldn't write the seller off as an idiot. I always ask all the questions I'd possibly have before purchasing over ebay. I want to put myself in the best position possible. I finally purchased my first saddler over ebay recently and was very pleased with the transaction.

If you truly feel you were screwed and the seller isn't willing to work with you, you can contact eBay and Paypal.
                "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

• Original Poster

I'll have to ride in the saddle again and determine if I want to sell it. If I do decide to sell it however, I will advertise as the manufactures stated seat size.

Comment

You could always put a seat saver on it to fill in that extra half inch...there is even a contraption to put on the cantle specifically designed to "reduce" the seat size.

Comment

I have three English saddles and I don't think any of them measure the same as they are marked. All are clearly marked, too.

Comment

Buy yourself some bucking rolls or get yourself a seat saver.

Comment

Half an inch really doesn't make that much difference. In fact, most European saddle makers don't measure theirs out to the half an inch - they go in one inch increments, such as 17", 18", etc. (like Prestige).

That said, if you really and truly feel that this saddle was misrepresented, put in a dispute asap. You have the seller's original emails and the auction listing description - take a picture of the stamped seat size and email it to the seller. If the seller doesn't get back to you within 2-3 days, email one more time letting him/her know you are concerned with the lack of correspondence and that if you don't hear from him/her within 2-3 days, you will be forced to lodge a complaint with Ebay/PayPal. If you paid by credit card, you're even luckier as your CC will refund the money if you have the proof that the item was truly misrepresented.

That said, I got an incredible deal on an Amerigo Pinerolo monoflap saddle. Seller said it was 17.5". It was 17", even marked as a 17". It fit me, but was a touch snug. I informed seller, she said that it was sold to her as a 17.5" and that she was very sorry and would take it back. I ended up keeping it, but as it didn't fit my horse I sold it for twice what I paid for it. Yay for me :^).
                          "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

this is why i request that the seller photo the saddle with a yardstick balanced on it, or a tape measure pulled, and why i do the same when i sell one.
                            * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Comment

• Original Poster

The procedure for measuring an English saddle with a tape measure it more standard than a Western saddle, IMO. For Western saddles a 16 inch seat is the most common and popular size seat. It think some people who are trying to sell an odd size saddle will advertise it as a 16 inch because that is the most popular size. If they advertised them as the "true" or manufactured stated size they would not have a great a response to their ad. The point I am trying to make is that if you are buying a Western saddle you don't a photo of the seat being measured to confirm the size. All you need is the manufacturers serial number. A photo of the seat with a measuring tape stretched out can be very misleading (on a Western saddle). If you are purchasing an English saddle, in my experience, the only way to verify the seat size is with the tape measure. It seems like the serial number on English saddles are not very useful for confirming the seat size, tree width or the date of manufacture.

I'll admit in this situation I did not do my due diligence. The seller had done extensive showing in the quarter horse circle so I relied on her representation that the seat was 16 inches. Next time I will get the serial number and confirm with the manufacturer (as I have done in the past) before purchasing. I did talk to her and she denied any knowledge of the correct seat size. Somehow I figured out the correct seat size in less than a day so I don't understand how she didn't know it after owning it for over 2 years. Anyway, other than the seat size, the saddle is nice. I will continue to ride until I can purchase another saddle in my correct size, and then sell this one.

Comment

Half an inch doesn't make that much of a difference??? Especially in a WP type saddle.

I recently sold an old Crosby PDN via tack trader. I measured the saddle several times and concluded that it was a 16 inch. When the buyer received the saddle she emailed me back saying "I just measured and this saddle isn't a 16 inch, it's a 16.5" She ended up keeping the saddle. But my point is that sometimes just a slight difference in where the measuring tape is placed causes a big difference in seat size.

Comment

Working...
                                X