• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

horse stalls with corner cabinets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horse stalls with corner cabinets

Does anyone know who makes/sells stalls with corner locker/cabinets? I'm trying to link a photo below.
    Thanks
    https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.A...EwHaJz&pid=Api

Ooh, no clue (sorry), but what a great idea for a boarding barn!

Comment

https://mdbarnmaster.com/portfolio_c.../tack-lockers/

There may be others. I definitely prefer the ones that open into the aisle, rather than the ones that open into the stall.
      "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

We have wooden ones built into the stalls. Extremely convenient since tack rooms are in the loft. Just never keep anything remotely hazardous like flavored Bute or grain because the horse *will* get in from time to time and *will* pull everything out and *will* smash the plastic cookie jar you keep the treats in.

Comment

thanks for the photo I was envisioning my mare having her own bar setup in corner of her stall

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
            because the horse *will* get in from time to time and *will* pull everything out and *will* smash the plastic cookie jar you keep the treats in.

That is precisely why I would prefer the opening being to the barn aisle, rather than into the stall. I know my horse would spend all his free time planning a break in. And he would probably pee on all his stuff after pulling it out of the cabinet, too!

"So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

Here are two pictures of MDBarnmaster tack lockers, one inside a stall, one accessed on the outside.
              A few years ago, when I asked, they recommended those best for 16' stalls, but they can make it fit any size:

Comment

I boarded at a barn with the MD Barns ones and liked them. They were on 12x12 stalls and it worked fine and I never felt the stalls were made too small by having lost that corner (but the horses also had attached paddocks so that helped too). Another barn I was at basically copied the idea and had them built by whoever was doing all the stall fronts/dividers, and those were ok too, so it can be done.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys.

Bluey, did you get a price quote on them? I'd like to get an idea of what they might cost, but I'm guessing I could get a handy person to build them cheaper than getting them shipped. I'm not handy at all though so I like the idea of a kit.

I'm in the planning stage of putting horse stalls in one end of my indoor arena. I want to keep the stall front area completely clear of clutter, and I figured these cabinets would be a good way to do that. I think though that I might actually draw up a plan that has a triangle shaped cabinet between 2 stalls. I don't have boarders so that isn't an issue. But, it would mean I couldn't use pre-fab stall panels which was my original plan so they could be removed later if I want.

Comment

Originally posted by meaty ogre View Post
                    Thanks guys.

Bluey, did you get a price quote on them? I'd like to get an idea of what they might cost, but I'm guessing I could get a handy person to build them cheaper than getting them shipped. I'm not handy at all though so I like the idea of a kit.

I'm in the planning stage of putting horse stalls in one end of my indoor arena. I want to keep the stall front area completely clear of clutter, and I figured these cabinets would be a good way to do that. I think though that I might actually draw up a plan that has a triangle shaped cabinet between 2 stalls. I don't have boarders so that isn't an issue. But, it would mean I couldn't use pre-fab stall panels which was my original plan so they could be removed later if I want.
                    Those MDBarn ones are portable, you can change them at will.
                    The quote we had was for all, so can't say how that would break down for a front with that feature.

You could call them, but yes, any such are very expensive.
                    Then, if you want turnkey, you have to pay for that.
                    If you have time to make them and/or wait on local manufacturers, that works fine also and is cheaper.

Don't know where you are, but around Dallas, many bigger training operations are using Neubauer stalls and they really like them and are, they say, very reasonably priced.
                    Look around your area, you may have someone that already makes them?

Comment

I looked at a boarding barn that had them in standard 12x12 stalls. I was surprised at how much smaller they made the stalls feel. I don't know that I think it's a better design than a stand alone tack locker/trunk sitting right outside the stall (and therefore not carving space out of it) or using space between two stalls (as you propose).
                      ~Veronica
                      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

• Original Poster

I agree a tack locker outside the stall would be easier, but since I'm installing these in the end of my indoor riding arena, I need the front to be completely clear of protrusions in order to take up the least amount of space possible. I'm looking at all options to maximize storage space while minimizing the footprint. I think between building the recessed tack storage into the stalls and putting a loft overhead, I can get all the storage I need while keeping the footprint of the stalls/tack area streamlined.

For years I have managed with a 3 stall shedrow style barn with a 12' overhang. It's fine, except in the worst weather (wind, rain, snow). And frankly, I really only put my horses up in the worst weather. Now that I'm older, I'm over holding my horses under the overhang in 30mph winds for the farrier, or having to shovel drifted snow away from the doors, or getting soaked by sideways rain. A barn attached to the indoor was the eventual plan, and may still be what we do in the future. But I've been doing a lot of thinking about when and how I use my stalls, and the stalls in the end of the indoor are starting to make a lot of sense both practically and financially. My horses live out 24/7 in pastures with run in sheds, and only get put in stalls for the vet/farrier or very inclement weather. I already have areas in the indoor set up where I tie my horses and tack them up (I keep tack in there because it's more protected and climate controlled than the shedrow barn).

Comment

With that setup I’d just put in one extra stall and use that for storage. More versatile and resaleable
                          ~Veronica

Comment

No input other than that is a neat idea!! We have a tack room with lockers, and when there are a couple of boarders in there at a time, getting our stuff in and out can be a pain.
                            RH Queen O Anywhere "Sydney"
                            2009 Sugarbush Draft mare
                            Western Dressage
                            Draft Mare blog

Comment

Not sure if OP has checked out the downside to stalls inside an indoor arena or facing/opening into the indoor arena? Around here it is a big "not acceptable" feature when boarding or building a barn. No one around here builds stalls inside an indoor arena these days.

The dust created by riding, using the arena, hanging or blowing thru the air, causes respiratory problems including heaves. Horses never escape that dust, which can contain all sorts of molds, manure, to get breathed in, coat the lungs. A lot of horses had careers end after stabling in stalls opening on the indoor arena. Can't perform if horse can't breathe.

OP may want to rethink her stall location, put them anyplace except the indoor arena. A lean-to on the outside of arena could house stalls, prevent that dirty air getting into stalled horses lungs.

Comment

A barn I rode at years and years ago had low lockers built into the front right corner of some of the stalls. Door access on the aisle side and, while the locker did slice diagonally across the corner of the stall on the inside, the stalls comfortably accommodated "full size equines." -- For example, my 16H mare and the big warmblood next door.

The top of the locker served as the feed bin -- it was finished with perhaps a 2" or 3" metal lip. The lockers had built in saddle racks, too. It was an awesome feature. Though some grain could trickle its way in, of course.

I second the comments about stalls in an indoor. I've known one barn that had them but didn't use them because of the respiratory risks. I've also known a barn that built an aisle along the outside wall of the indoor as goodhors mentions above.

Comment

I also don't like them in an indoor, but it sounds like they will not be in them much, especially not when someone is riding. Look at the dimensions you have to work with. Can you add a storage area at one or both ends? If you only need one storage area, creating an extra stall-like section would likely work better than going custom with premade lockers.

Comment

Here are three more kinds of storage by stalls.

First one, a row of lockers right at the end of the row of stalls.
                                    Second, a row of lockers in front of stalls.
                                    Third, a pull type locker between every two stalls.
                                    This one for blankets, but could be made wider for saddles also:

Comment

I like this locker idea and would consider them even in a private barn. One could have each horse's feed, supplements, blankets etc in the individual lockers.

And to counter the loss of stall space, I would opt for 12x14 stalls or thereabouts.

Someday... I will get out of this northerly wind and build another facility. These are bookmarked.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                        Here are three more kinds of storage by stalls.

First one, a row of lockers right at the end of the row of stalls.
                                        Second, a row of lockers in front of stalls.
                                        Third, a pull type locker between every two stalls.
                                        This one for blankets, but could be made wider for saddles also:
                                        These are super super neat. I'd still just do an extra stall in OP's situation. An extra stall can be storage space or a stall or a tack stall or or or. Those lockers will only ever be lockers. I think they're awesome for a boarding situation but OP is the only user of her facility. I think she'll find one BIG storage area far trumps a bunch of small ones when there's just one person using the storage.
                                        ~Veronica

Comment

Working...
                                        X