• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Parelli does it again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If someone did that to one of my horses I would have to punch them in the snout. Poor horse, and all the poor horses whose owners went home and trained them with the "parelli" method.

I always thought Parelli was a marketing genius, but didn't really see the harm in him, until now. That sucked. One day a horse is going to clobber him in the head and put an end to it.
    Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

• Frankly puzzled here. Is there sound for the second video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j25pS6ixWk

Why was no methodology shown? Heck, as far as we know he did use sugar cubes or whatever is in Parelli's lunch.

Was that video posted by Parelli? I just don't get it.

Comment

• It was a fast release video from Parellis themselves to pre-empt all the personally filmed stuff that they knew was going to be released all over youtube. The session went crappy and too long and they way overdid it and underestimated the horse and screwed up.
        They knew people were filming it and going to talk about it negatively and post the videos so they hurried to release a heavily edited version and words like "what people THINK they saw" crap.
        Typical Parelli...and brazen enough in the knowledge that their followers are so stupid that they will tell people what they want them to see vs what they actually DID see.

As for anyone still idolizing these folks and believing only what they're told to see instead of using the grey matter between their own ears to form their own opinions...well, just goes to show they fit the word "sheeple" as opposed to people. They'd probably also believe the mother ship is coming and they should drink this koolaid now.
        You jump in the saddle,
        Hold onto the bridle!
        Jump in the line!
        ...Belefonte

Comment

• Originally posted by alicen View Post
          Frankly puzzled here. Is there sound for the second video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j25pS6ixWk

Why was no methodology shown? Heck, as far as we know he did use sugar cubes or whatever is in Parelli's lunch.

Was that video posted by Parelli? I just don't get it.
          I think that was hastily thrown together in an attempt to forstall criticism.

And it did work, for some people.
          I wasn't always a Smurf
          Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
          "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
          The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• I have come to the conclusion that people see what they want to see. And no amount of reasoning with them will change that.
            Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

• Anyone else getting an "Access Denied" when they try to see the "Non-Parrelli Approved" version? It's showing something from my Virus Protection. Call me a cynic, but I wouldn't put it past the camp or He Who Shall Not be Named to try to shut down this video.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoolMeadows View Post
                No no no. See, horses are too dumb to realize a hose isn't a snake, so no way would they recognize you as the giver of food. They just realize HEY! MAGIC FOOD AGAIN NOMNOMNOM GET OUTTA MY WAY YOU FUGLY TWO LEGGED HORSE.

Heck, according to pepperoni, horses are too dumb to realize that WE aren't horses! That's why it's ok to hit them with metal in the face.

Here's a clue pepperoni cult members - you are NOT a horse. Your horse knows this. The only one in the relationship who's missing this fact is you. Honestly, as stupid as they must think horses are, it's no wonder most of them are too afraid to get on their horses! I wouldn't go near a 1200lb animal that I thought couldn't differentiate between entire species.

Best post EVER.

Seb
                Aca-Believe it!!

Comment

• Originally posted by seeuatx View Post
                  Anyone else getting an "Access Denied" when they try to see the "Non-Parrelli Approved" version? It's showing something from my Virus Protection. Call me a cynic, but I wouldn't put it past the camp or He Who Shall Not be Named to try to shut down this video.
                  I was able to view it just now
                  I wasn't always a Smurf
                  Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Comment

• I saw it just now as well. PP is an ass. Why he has to go to extremes can only be explained by his love of the spotlight - certainly not the love of horses.
                    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
                    W. C. Fields

Comment

• I simply don't get it. There was no reason for his behavior towards that horse. Why do people buy this sh!t?

Please explain. If it is a simple formula, I'm using it in my next grant application.
                      www.specialhorses.org
                      a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

• P allows spectators to video his demos? Lots of clinicians do not allow it and I'd expect him to charge for the video if you want one?
                        Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonesta View Post
                          I have come to the conclusion that people see what they want to see. And no amount of reasoning with them will change that.
                          Agreed~

Then there is opinions, everyone has one.... as well as
                          The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grataan View Post
                            IME horses don't react the way he is described as reacting unless they have a deep seated fear of the activity. Often they will still react that way even after the pain is gone-until someone comes along and retrains them. My point here is that they could have said "Horse was in a trailer roll over and hit his head requiring 8999999 stitches as a 3 year old and has since been hard to bridle"

The more I think about this horse the more I want to do nuclear scintigraphy if the basic exam is non eventful-I wonder if he has a hot spot in his neck and would benefit from an injection. I have a friend on the show circuit who had a horse that would flip over to avoid the bridling/unbridling and she had his neck injected and he returned to the show ring better than ever.
                            What sort of injection - anti inflammatory or like pentosan for arthritic changes.

We had a horse that was dangerous to bridle - the chiro reduced his behaviour problems by 50% in 20 seconds by untwisting the ligaments that some moron had damaged by twisting his ear in the first place. Then it was time and consitant FAIR treatment that got him another 40% down the track but he was never 100% trusting of his ears being handled - but neither had his mother been without the pain factor.

The chiro said this horse had had a headache for two years and it was quite amazing to see how his attitude in the paddock and stable changed as well- he gained a lot of weight.

I'm wondering if such a scan and injection would have helped him a bit more.

As to Pat the Hat

I am really confused as to why ANY HORSEMAN wouldn't just say "this horse has too many issues to be addressed in 20 minutes"?

That is neither admitting defeat or saying that your method sucks, it is just acknowledging that no two horses are the same.

Very disappointed!

This is the version I watched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gf7w_1ifus

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that people see what they want to see. And no amount of reasoning with them will change that.
                              Yup. Just ask the still-alive-followers of Jim Jones.
                              <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                                P allows spectators to video his demos? Lots of clinicians do not allow it and I'd expect him to charge for the video if you want one?
                                I suspect the poor quality of the video can be blamed on this policy. He did indeed have a no video policy the time I saw him (I happened to be at a trade fair where he had a booth).

Someone was using a cell phone surreptitiously
                                I wasn't always a Smurf
                                Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Comment

You cannot reason a person out of a position they didn't arrive at in that manner.
                                  "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                                  http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Sorry if this has been posted before, but I did some googling to try to find some first hand accounts, and found this.

http://www.examiner.com/x-7431-Anima...e-Parelli-demo

Sad overview. The end covers the koolaid wash on the whole thing...
                                    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
                                    <>< I.I.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzrider View Post
                                      Sorry if this has been posted before, but I did some googling to try to find some first hand accounts, and found this.

Oh, my God. You know, I don't object to things like lip chains when appropriate (while attempting to bridle = not appropriate moment), or even with a dangerous horse a 'cowboy' method like a rope on the leg--but that leg rope? Pepperonis, UR DOIN IT RONG. All they were going to succeed in doing with that rope was potentially break his leg. Tying a leg is a last-resort method for DANGEROUS animals and should only be attempted by SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WTF HE IS DOING. And anyone who knew what he was doing would have known with that horse leg-tying would be swatting flies with a sledgehammer. *I*, or almost any randomly selected poster on COTH, would have a better chance of getting that horse to take a bridle.

God help them the day someone volunteers a truly dangerous horse, because someone will be killed. That might be what it takes to put an end to their shenanagens, though.
                                      Author Page
                                      Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                      Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

• I would think that the horses used are heavily screened if not outright worked with beforehand to make sure that the great mustached one looks good.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzrider View Post
                                          Sorry if this has been posted before, but I did some googling to try to find some first hand accounts, and found this.

Great article, however they didn't include that according to multiple witness accounts, after Catwalk was examined by the vet and excused from further work, PP kept after him during the weekend against the vet's instructions.
                                          I noticed in the comments to the article the kool aid drinkers have come full force some calling it libel. How does multiple eye witnesses, including video lie? These people need to wake up and smell the giant hole in their pocket book and the even bigger hole in their brains...

Comment

Working...
                                          X