• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Heartbroken- Terrified to Ride My Horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful update K&C! So happy to hear and thinking all the good thoughts that a better fitting saddle will resurrect this guy's sweet and dependable nature. Please continue to keep us updated as I think it will be helpful for those that might one day find themselves in a similar situation. Reading this type of thread when you actually know the horse has cast a whole new light on this type of internet discussion... the suggestions to quickly throw in the towel are heartbreaking.
    EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

Originally posted by KandC View Post
      Saddle fitter found tightness through the shoulder (he's pretty atrophied through there) and the panels were not a good fit in firmness/shape, so we are on the hunt for a new saddle, and the first saddle rep will be out tomorrow!

My life has taken a bit of an unfortunate turn on the financial level so I am holding off on EPM/Lyme testing/full lameness exam for a month or two, until I can get that stabilized out (before the lectures, parents are there as a safety net for any catastrophic vet bill that is unavoidable as well as to help out with a new saddle, but won't humor my small animal vet shotgun workup approach until saddle fit has been addressed).

On the bright side, he is now A+ at his vocal lunge commands, and has been an angel for W/T under saddle. The canter is his ouchiest gait right now, so we are waiting on a better fitting saddle before returning to cantering and jumping. For what it's worth he seems more comfortable if he is moving laterally or straight, and less comfortable on circles 20 m or smaller.

I am in the same boat as TWH Girl, where if I give up now that will only damage my confidence further. I like the quirkier, diamond in the rough horses, and I like a small challenge. I just want to be safe about my challenges and get *my* anxiety under control. I'm also hoping once I'm out of my current job situation, my anxiety will lessen more. I tend to forgive horses very quickly, and while I'm still nervous to ride him, it's not a blind terror, it's a healthy back of my mind fear of what he can do.

Won't be riding him with Ace; I'd rather try to find the root of the problem, and go from there. A lot of my anxiety will dissipate if I feel like he is comfortable under saddle.
      I would take the $$ you have for a new saddle and put it into the bloodwork
      If he has lyme or other physiological reasons to be in pain, no saddle will fix that.
      Just my $.02
      Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

If Lyme is a possibility please don't put off testing for it. Many horses wind up with chronic Lyme because they didn't get treatment early enough or long enough to kill the spirochete.

Providence sometimes takes care of idiots. Agnes Morley Cleaveland in No Life for a Lady.

Comment

• Original Poster

Lyme and EPM titers will get pulled but the first thing you learn in vet school is if you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras. His saddle doesn’t fit, he’s a sensitive, worrying soul, so saddle fit is the most obvious to be addressed first.

And I’m still reeling from a few financial impacts, so everything needs to be done stepwise. Lyme and EPM aren’t off my radar- they’re on my to do list.
          Last edited by KandC; Dec. 7, 2017, 10:42 AM. Reason: Posting from my phone always leads to typos
          About my horses and my riding:http://krseq.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post

I would take the $$ you have for a new saddle and put it into the bloodwork
            If he has lyme or other physiological reasons to be in pain, no saddle will fix that.
            Just my $.02
            I agree. Diagnosis is or should be a higher priority, IMO also.
            Edited to add, if you are a Vet (even though apparently small animal?) why on earth don't you just do the blood draws necessary and send to the appropriate labs yourself)?!?!?!?!

Lyme is more likely than EPM, IMO, or KS (kissing spine). When you can afford testing for KS, that is a good idea to check it.
            Jeanie
            RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

Lyme testing wasn't catastrophic financially - treatment ran a bit more. But early diagnosis is critical to best outcomes.

Comment

Lyme and EPM titers will get pulled but the first thing you learn in vet school is if you hear good eats, think horses, not zebras. His saddle doesn’t fit, he’s a sensitive, worrying soul, so saddle fit is the most obvious to be addressed first.

And I’m still reeling from a few financial impacts, so everything needs to be done stepwise. Lyme and EPM aren’t off my radar- they’re on my to do list.
                Re bold, I don't follow... Can you explain what you mean?
                If he's sensitive, worrying soul, feeling crappy from Lyme or EPM might also contribute to that....
                A saddle for a lame horse who's unwell is a waste of $$, that you suggest is limited, if you ask me.
                Last edited by Angela Freda; Dec. 7, 2017, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Start with the simplest/most likely and go from there. That would be saddle fit.
                  No matter where you go, there you are

Comment

• Original Poster

He has back and wither pain. The equine vet and equine vet who does chiropractor work both checked him and said back and wither pain, I say back and wither pain, and two saddle fitters came out and said his saddle fit poorly. I also notice him immediately relax when a well fitting saddle is out on him.

Lyme is still getting pulled because I do agree. Just getting the ball rolling on saddle fit since it’s an obvious problem, whether or not it’s the whole story.

He is also a *historically* sensitive and worrying horse, so I see how a new environment, new owner, and new saddle fit would throw him over the edge.
                    About my horses and my riding:http://krseq.blogspot.com

Comment

You could treat for Lyme and forego the test. You should see a result within 10 days and sometimes far sooner. That way you can skip the expense of the test. And I would do this sooner rather than later. Ten days of treatment on an antibiotic is not that invasive and relatively inexpensive.

The atrophy found by the saddle fitter is consistent with Lyme. But it is also consistent with other diagnoses.

Also, he could be suffering from Kissing Spine and the new saddle could be affecting that more so than previous saddles did. KS is sometimes successfully treated by injection. Palpating the spine is one quick way to diagnose KS.

I agree with other suggestions that his being herd-bound is contributing.

He sounds like such a lovely horse and I hope you can find the solutions soon. It does sound like you are going about this in all the right ways!

oops, just read your most recent post about saddle fit and back pain. So the above may not apply.
                      Last edited by DrHB; Dec. 7, 2017, 09:23 AM. Reason: read the most recent post before this one.

Comment

Lyme and EPM titers will get pulled but the first thing you learn in vet school is if you hear good eats, think horses, not zebras. His saddle doesn’t fit, he’s a sensitive, worrying soul, so saddle fit is the most obvious to be addressed first.
                        If you hear hoof beats, right? I'm always thinking about food too.

Training solves behavior problems. If he's a sensitive, worrying soul, you need to desensitize him to get rid of all that anxiety and reduce his sensitivity. You can do all this on the ground where you already feel comfortable with him.
                        "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederatcy against him."

Comment

Haven't scoped him yet (I've started saving). He got a 2 week course of Gastroguard when he moved to the new farm. He's not girthy or sensitive (although if it's hindgut ulcers, who knows). Ulcers are still on my radar.

Already had the vet out (technically twice, the chiro is also a vet) who only found signs of poor saddle fit/back pain.
                          I haven't read the whole thread, so this may already have been mentioned. My vet was able to do a fecal test by Succeed to rule out ulcers on my guy. No scope needed and a lot less expensive and invasive.
                          "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Originally posted by Curb Appeal View Post

I haven't read the whole thread, so this may already have been mentioned. My vet was able to do a fecal test by Succeed to rule out ulcers on my guy. No scope needed and a lot less expensive and invasive.
                            Correct me if I am wrong (I am not a vet), but I do not believe that the Succeed test rules out stomach ulcers. It tests for fecal blood and may be an indication for hind gut ulcers, although if I recall correctly, it errs on the side of false positives.

Comment

Originally posted by Curb Appeal View Post

Honestly is a scope needed anyway? Often a couple weeks treatment costs about the same and offers a diagnosis as well.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I injured my right big toe, in the joint where the toe meets the foot. It's an important joint. I wore high heels for 2 days straight two weekends in a row for funerals and somehow injured that toe.
                              Wearing those heels is no longer possible because the joint is damaged.
                              That doesn't mean I solve that by wearing different heels.
                              Yes lower heels don't hurt as much, but the joint is still injured, and a shoe doesn't change that.

Comment

Haunted barn? I had this happen to me once. I moved my fabulous American Saddlebred to a beautiful hunter barn and he was grea

Comment

Haunted barn? I had this happen to me once. I moved my fabulous American Saddlebred to a beautiful hunter barn and he was great for a couple weeks then he changed. He was always nervous wouldn't eat and so so not himself. He started losing weight wouldn't stand for the farrier. I was so upset I moved him to a saddlebred trying barn eight hours from me. He was fine then started eating and was back to his normal awesome self. We won lots of blues for the next two years and then I retired him. It was oddd....

Comment

Originally posted by Ladylexie View Post
                                    Haunted barn? I had this happen to me once. I moved my fabulous American Saddlebred to a beautiful hunter barn and he was great for a couple weeks then he changed. He was always nervous wouldn't eat and so so not himself. He started losing weight wouldn't stand for the farrier. I was so upset I moved him to a saddlebred trying barn eight hours from me. He was fine then started eating and was back to his normal awesome self. We won lots of blues for the next two years and then I retired him. It was oddd....
                                    Ladylexie I think you may have posted on the wrong thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post

Ladylexie I think you may have posted on the wrong thread?
                                      No this is the one I meant to.

Comment

I really think the barn environment has more to do with this than anything. For whatever reason, some horses do better in certain barns. It could be anything from caretaker's attitude and mood to overall schedule or lack there of. Some horses have stronger preferences.

Comment

• Originally posted by KandC View Post

Obviously, I’d prefer to do vet work and saddle fitting (in person) than sell him. If I can get the horse back that I had in lessons and when I first bought him, I would love him. He’s fussy and sour with the pro as well which makes me think it’s not just me. It’s that it doesn’t feel playful; a little “up” tail swishing or bucking out of happiness would be different, and hopefully not startle me as much?

For whatever it’s worth my anxiety is out of control in general and that’s not helping. Just frustrated and sad.
                                          We beat ourselves up over this. Stop. Listen to the word I just wrote there, and read it out loud: Stop.

You're an animal just like he is, and you are programmed to be protective while threatened. There's no reason to come down on yourself when you are facing what sounds very much like threatening behavior! That's how you are SUPPOSED to react.

I get that you don't want to be like that. I've been in precisely your shoes. But, really, there's little point in chastizing ourselves in private for being perfectly sensible protective animals.

What to do about the horse? I'm with the others: If he's worth keeping, he's worth a month of pro-riding and get an evaluation from someone you trust. If the pro starts talking about how he's "still touchy" or "not reliable yet", you have your answer. And a month (or two) of a pro riding him will make him more saleable, if that's the route you wind up taking.

You're supposed to be enjoying this.
                                          -- Member of the COTH Appendix QH clique and the dressage-saddle-thigh-block-hating clique.

Comment

Working...
                                          X